You are not logged in.

My struggle with being faithful to what is most important....  RSS Feed

#1 2018-07-08 12:19pm

Forhisglory_1
Pro Member
Bikes: 1
For Sale: 3
Website

My struggle with being faithful to what is most important....

This is something I shared on my blog today that I haven't written on in a long time. It's kind of long but I hope it makes a difference in a few lives. I share this not as a blanket statement about all who love BMX or have lots of hobbies, but to share my struggle with hobbies and a lack focus on what is most important on my life. Read the whole thing. Share it with others. While you may not share a faith in Jesus with me, you may share the same struggle in being faithful to the most important things in life and spending to much time on the things that are not so important. Enjoy.

https://awakenosleeper.com/2018/07/08/h … epentance/

There are many things in this life that we can enjoy and should be enjoyed. Some are most important to enjoy, like spending time with The Lord, spending time with our families, and spending time with other Christian believers. Other things are not so important but still great things to be enjoyed, like, having a good steak, spending time with friends, going on vacation, and any other thing that brings great joy and puts a smile on your face. I believe that all of these things, as well as any other good things, are truly to be enjoyed to the fullest.

For me, I have a habit of enjoying the things that are not so important way too much. Especially hobbies. I love watching baseball, going to baseball games, and playing softball. I love shredding at the skatepark or the local trails on my BMX bike. I love heading off into the hills on my mountain bike. I love Saturday morning rounds of golf. I love going to off-road races in the desert, staring into the sky at night, eating at taco stands in the middle of Mexico, and flying through the desert in a truck so fast that everything is a blur. All of these things are great fun and make life all the more enjoyable. They get me outside, I get some exercise, they are spent with great friends, full of lots of laughs and smiles, and leave me with memories that will last forever that I will always look back on with a thankful heart.

The hobbies themselves clearly aren't bad. But when they become the most important things, they are a problem. When I say the most important things, I am both talking about what I am physically spending my time doing, and also what I spend my time thinking about. This is my problem.

I fall into the habit of letting my thoughts be consumed by things that don’t matter the most, which in turn doesn’t leave room for my thoughts to be filled by the things that are most important. Mostly my relationship with Christ, my marriage to the most wonderful woman, and being dad to my handsome little guy Austin. It’s heartbreaking and it’s unfortunately not new for me. It is something that I have wrestled with for years. The difference is that now I have a lot more at stake. It affects more people, people who are dependent on me, and a failure on my part to be fully devoted to them with my time and my thoughts can be devastating. Not just while I am with them, but also when I am not with them. It is imperative that I am devoted to them in my thoughts and actions 24/7.

This weekend I had to confess to my wife that I had sinned against her, against our son, and against our Lord Jesus Christ. As I asked for her for forgiveness, in love and kindness she drew nearer to me as she forgave me. She is such a reflection of God’s grace and forgiveness as she acts in a Christlike way by drawing near when I have pulled away, by forgiving when I have sinned, by reminding me of her commitment to me no matter what, and that we are one with Christ and one with one another.

I am not sure how I continue to go down this road over and over again. I know what I should be doing, but I can’t seem to stay focused and do the things I should be doing. It's not only that I know what I should and shouldn’t be doing, it’s that I'm not doing what I want to be doing most. There is nothing in the world I would rather do than dwell on the scriptures and on Christ, to spend every waking minute with my wife and son serving them, and to be devoted to the building of God's kingdom. Yet while having those things as my deepest longing and desire, I somehow manage to spend a lot of my time doing other things and thinking about other things.

Let me explain exactly what I am talking about and what I am not talking about. I am not talking about the things that I must do every day like going to work, doing things around the house, going to school, or doing anything else you are responsible for. I am talking about the extra things that are mostly, if not entirely, for fun or enjoyment.

For me this is watching baseball games, riding one of my bikes, playing golf, playing softball, or woodworking. Now I can justify doing all of those things and convince myself that they are very important things. For example, I play golf to get some exercise and maintain relationships with friends, I ride my bikes to get exercise, watching baseball is something I just watch in the background while I am doing something else, I play softball with friends from church so it is part of living in community with other believers, and that my time in the garage doing woodworking is because I am building something for my home that I need. While all of that is very true, its only part of the truth because the other truth is that I often use those reasons to justify why I am not doing the most important things because I am still doing good things.

An even bigger problem for me is what I think about each day and where my thoughts are. I can be held captive by what I am thinking about and be completely distracted without knowing it. While at work, at church, with my family, I can be physically present and be entirely somewhere else. A recent example would be my love of bicycles. I collect BMX bikes. All kinds of them both old and new. They remind me of the great memories I have as a kid going everywhere on my bike and all of the adventures I had. I still ride them every chance I get to. It could be around the block, going to the local skatepark, or it could be at the local trails. There are just few things that put a smile on my face like flying through the air on my bike or learning a new trick I have been practicing. I will think about them all day long. I will go on BMX websites to look for bikes that are for sale, I am on those same sites selling some of my bikes to buy more, always trying to find a deal. I am on those sites reading everything. I will wake up in the morning and immediately look to see what is new for sale because I don’t want to miss anything and I want to see if any of my stuff has sold. I can literally think about them all day long. I can come home and be talking with my wife and completely miss what she said because I was thinking about something BMX related. While watching TV or eating dinner I will pick up my phone and start looking for more bikes to buy, more forums to read, and more pictures to look at. I can do this for months on end without even thinking about it or realizing I am doing it. It’s horrible. Not because they are bad in and of themselves, but because of all that I am neglecting in the process.

This is what I just had to repent of to my Lord, to my wife, and to my son because I had sinned against them. I felt compelled to sell off my entire collection of bikes except for the two that I ride to get some exercise. It was really hard to do and felt like something was being ripped away from me. It has felt like a band-aid being ripped off slowly, pulling out each hair one at a time with every bike I sold. Once the last bike was sold, it felt like a weight was lifted. When I decided to sell them off I was so worried about how I would feel once they were all gone, but once they were gone I felt so free. I woke up the next morning and didn’t think about bikes at all. 

Please hear me say this. Hobbies are not bad. Doing what you enjoy is a good thing. Having fun is an important part of life and it is a gift of God. It is when there are other things being neglected in the process when it is a problem. The most important things in life simply cannot be neglected.

What is it for you? What do you spend the bulk of your day thinking about? What do you spend your day doing? When work is over and you are heading home, what are you going to do when you get home? What are you most excited about doing? When you take inventory of what you think about and what you do from the moment you wake up and until you fall asleep, is it full of the most important things? How much time is wasted each day and unaccounted for? How many things and how many people are being neglected by a lack of commitment to who and what is most important? Is it hobbies? Is it politics? Sports? Fitness? Social media? Making money?

I don’t know what it is for you but I pray that your mind, heart, and hands are on what is most important. If you are not sure if this is true for you too ask your family, ask the Lord, or ask those closest to you. They seem to be the ones to know best. 

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/239554/photo-may-13-6-08-38-pm5b426371c3.png

Last edited by Forhisglory_1 (2018-07-08 4:28pm)

I love Jesus and BMX.
Check out my blog at awakenosleeper

My struggle with being faithful
https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=769417

#2 2018-07-08 12:38pm

made2drag
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

Re: My struggle with being faithful to what is most important....

Man that was a great post!  To me is sounds like you're passionate about a bunch of things and I sometimes feel like my passion for my "unimportant things" gets out of hand too.

Increase the Peace

#3 2018-07-08 12:39pm

capt.shred
Pro Member
Bikes: 37
For Sale: 4

Jesus.

#4 2018-07-08 12:45pm

made2drag
Pro Member

I think having a baby changes one's focus on hobbies and how we spend our free time.  When he gets old enough, maybe he will share your passion for baseball and bikes and it could be a bonding experience that can last a lifetime.  I love when my son asks "Dad, can we go ride?" or "Dad, when are going to go to another car show or cruise in?".  I think he likes bikes and cars, but I think it's his way to tell me he wants to spend time with me.

Increase the Peace

#5 2018-07-08 12:51pm

made2drag
Pro Member

I will say though, spending time with non believers is important too.  They might not remember your words but they will remember your actions and how you treated them whether it's are the skatepark or trails or desert.

Increase the Peace

#6 2018-07-08 12:55pm

Minx20
Pro Member
Bikes: 25
For Sale: 2

I can totally relate - many of your examples describe me and BMX, forums, buying & selling to a 't'. Me being a recent new father to my 2yr old, so hard at times to cut loose of some of the distractions and keep the focus on what really matters, family. Each time I see my son learn something new, make me laugh or other, it has become so obvious that my hobbies can wait till he is asleep or other, that the time spent with him and my wife need to stay top priority. Like everyone says, you cant get the time back, kids grow up in a blink of the eye, etc.

Great post smile

#7 2018-07-08 1:53pm

Forhisglory_1
Pro Member
Website

made2drag wrote:

I think having a baby changes one's focus on hobbies and how we spend our free time.  When he gets old enough, maybe he will share your passion for baseball and bikes and it could be a bonding experience that can last a lifetime.  I love when my son asks "Dad, can we go ride?" or "Dad, when are going to go to another car show or cruise in?".  I think he likes bikes and cars, but I think it's his way to tell me he wants to spend time with me.

Yeah its crazy how many things have changes since my son was born 4 months ago. There are a bunch of things that I just became uninterested in and didn't realize it and other things I have really had to be intentional about. I get off work and can't wait to get home to hang out with him to see his laughs and smiles. 

That has to be an amazing feeling having your son ask you stuff like that! While I really love this time when he is this little, I look forward to when he is older for that exact reason. Him just wanting to spend time with me. So cool man thanks for sharing.

I love Jesus and BMX.

#8 2018-07-08 3:29pm

perront
Pro MemberThe Red Dog of The Hills
Bikes: 20

made2drag wrote:

I will say though, spending time with non believers is important too.  They might not remember your words but they will remember your actions and how you treated them whether it's are the skatepark or trails or desert.

I second this, and yes, devotion to fatherhood changes your life in amazing ways.

I appreciate your post because it is sincere and positive, and because I can relate.  I will add, though, that your personal time — when enjoyed in moderation — can be of great benefit to those you love because it is natural for you carry parts of your “old self” with you as your life evolves into new things.  If you nurture it from time to time, I believe it can help retain your youth in healthy ways.  Neglect it too often, and you may find yourself reverting to old behaviors at the risk of doing harm to those you love. 

I think it is also to share your old self with others in healthy ways by including the ones you love in your personal interests.  For example, rather than go skating on my own today, I chose to bike the lakefront with my older son today.  The result was a priceless, integrated bonding experience that I wouldn’t trade for the world.

Thanks for sharing your story, and may you continue to follow the path that best allows you to self actualize.

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonRobinson
PowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksman!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#9 2018-07-08 3:30pm

perront
Pro MemberThe Red Dog of The Hills
Bikes: 20

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/45011/b56afa4d-d6b5-4a0c-a215-9b7c618935025b4290888d.jpeg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/45011/b46b701b-4d28-49a5-9a99-602dc0486f525b429082ee.jpeg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/45011/03101a7e-665a-41c1-b5ab-c7ac79cf96cc5b4290841e.jpeg

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonRobinson
PowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksman!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#10 2018-07-08 4:03pm

STREETBEATBEAST
Pro MemberSKYWAY SENSAI

Some of us may not have "more important things" like family or friends and so we use inanimate objects to fill voids.
Some of us aren't blessed enough to have normal lives.
and the only thing that keeps us goin, is searching, collecting..storing away for a better time.
Something to think about

Last edited by STREETBEATBEAST (2018-07-08 4:04pm)

Heres my profound, life changing statement.
Lifes a bitch..PASS ME A BEER.

They're reacting and that's wonderful. It's better than them sitting there doing nothing. I say make them react - do whatever's in your power to move the audience, and if that's where it is, and there where it is with America, sex and violence, then I say project it.
ALICE COOPER

#11 2018-07-08 4:19pm

Minx20
Pro Member
Bikes: 25
For Sale: 2

perront wrote:

made2drag wrote:

I second this, and yes, devotion to fatherhood changes your life in amazing ways.

I appreciate your post because it is sincere and positive, and because I can relate.  I will add, though, that your personal time — when enjoyed in moderation — can be of great benefit to those you love because it is natural for you carry parts of your “old self” with you as your life evolves into new things.  If you nurture it from time to time, I believe it can help retain your youth in healthy ways.  Neglect it too often, and you may find yourself reverting to old behaviors at the risk of doing harm to those you love. 

I think it is also to share your old self with others in healthy ways by including the ones you love in your personal interests.  For example, rather than go skating on my own today, I chose to bike the lakefront with my older son today.  The result was a priceless, integrated bonding experience that I wouldn’t trade for the world.

Thanks for sharing your story, and may you continue to follow the path that best allows you to self actualize.

Right on cool

#12 2018-07-08 4:54pm

Forhisglory_1
Pro Member
Website

STREETBEATBEAST wrote:

Some of us may not have "more important things" like family or friends and so we use inanimate objects to fill voids.
Some of us aren't blessed enough to have normal lives.
and the only thing that keeps us goin, is searching, collecting..storing away for a better time.
Something to think about

Yeah man I totally understand what you are saying. My post was in no way a knock on collecting, hoarding, or riding. It was simply to share some of my story in hopes that it may resonate with others.

I love Jesus and BMX.

#13 2018-07-08 5:02pm

Forhisglory_1
Pro Member
Website

perront wrote:

made2drag wrote:

Thanks for sharing especially the pics of you and your son! I am doing my best to take in every moment with my son but certainly look forward to the day I get to build him a bike and enjoy hobbies together.

I tend to live life to the far extremes and struggle to find the nice sweet spot in the middle. While I sold off all but 2 of my bikes, I still squeeze in a few rides a week and it tends to be before the sun comes up before work. I still play softball 1 night a week to get out and play in occasional tournaments. It works for now. Those things are very much a part of my and have such a difference on my emotional and physical health. I am sure it will all change as life moves forward and I am ok with it and look forward to it. I just never want to get tunnel vision and loose the ability to accurately see what is going on around me and who is standing next to me.

Last edited by Forhisglory_1 (2018-07-08 5:03pm)

I love Jesus and BMX.

#14 2018-07-08 5:43pm

pushittothemax
Pro Member
Bikes: 26

I also want to thank you for your post.  I think I may be a bit older than you, but I also went through a "change" in how I spent time around hobbies (BMX & Hockey!).  My wife and I were married for about 10 years before we had children.  There was plenty of time and money during that time.  My wife knows how much I love her and she also knows that doing anything related to BMX is great fun, good exercise (I need that too!), and calming.  I have an extremely stressful job and fortunately, I know the things that take my mind off work and calm me when I'm stressed.  I also started building bikes during that time.  I may have about 20 bikes with BMX & antique bikes from the turn of the century in the barn.  Then in 2003 we had our first of three children.  I am blessed to be a father and have such great kids!  My wife and I work well as a parenting team and we all like spending time as a family doing all kinds of things.  During this time, my bmx riding and building was put on "super slow motion".  I had virtually no time to spend doing what I loved as a hobby.  And that is what it is...a hobby.  I will admit it is a big part of my life, but when everything shakes out, it is a hobby and I know that.  Then the really cool thing happened...my kids started getting older, learned how to ride bikes and got into bmx with me!!!!  How awesome is that?!  We have build old school bikes together and they attend the old school bmx shows.  They have also won for their builds a number of times.  We ride when we can, mostly around our neighborhood and at times, the bike trails.  I get to spend a bit more time with bmx than before and I am happy with that.  As you pointed out, I know what are the most important things in life and I try my hardest to stay on task.  My wife is great as she will tell me when I am spending too much time with the bikes, going to shows, etc..  She is not a bike person and we are ok with that.  I am turning 50 this summer and my wife did something for me that I did not expect whatsoever related to bmx'ing.  The 10th annual Florida Spring Fling Old School BMX Show was this spring with just about every BMX race and freestyle legend at the show.  I had one of my fellow bmx friends who was going and offered me to ride shotgun to the show.  My wife was so supportive and told me to go and have fun.  It was kind of like that scene in City Slickers where Billy Crystal's movie wife told him to go find himself and have fun with his friends.  I spent a week away from my family and missed them greatly!  It was great to experience that legendary show with the blessing of my wife and family, but it was great to come home.  I don't know if I would ever sell off my collection, perhaps someday.  However, in the meantime, I am going to enjoy bmx with my kids.  I will say that although I have always loved bmx as that is the only thing I did from about age 9 to 16, bmx was THE thing that kept me from getting involved in drugs.  ALL of my old bmx buddies got hooked on drugs and their lives changed forever.  I appreciate not having any bad habits, no negative addictions, etc..  If BMX is how I spend any limited spare time that I have, so be it.  It doesn't take me away from my family or job but it is great fun when I find the time.  I truly feel blessed that bmx kept me on the right track, I was being looked over the whole time!

Last edited by pushittothemax (2018-07-08 7:46pm)

Looking for:
1 original Hutch Aerospeed Crank dustcap
Huffy Thunder Road front plate #54

#15 2018-07-08 6:36pm

crj1968
Pro MemberSlow Day 4 Me
Bikes: 21
For Sale: 5

pushittothemax; Im right there with ya man...49 going on 15   tongue

Ecclesiastes 3
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven...

Great post. It's always a good thing to keep your priorities in check...and kids will do that. I have 3...
Recently my completely healthy...21 yr old daughter suffered a major heart attack (blood clots) and flat lined 6 times....coma for a week..etc...etc.  2 months in hospital/ rehab learning to walk and talk again...it was totally unreal , She miraculously pulled through, but is now disabled due to blindness from brain damage.....it's been a real struggle, not going to lie I've prayed to and cursed God in the same breath.  As "meaningless" as BMX or cars or any other hobby may be; it has helped me keep my sanity.  Got to stay strong for the family and a man needs a mindless break once in a while to do so.  This forum has been great for me in that regard.

God bless. Congrats on the baby!  smile

Last edited by crj1968 (2018-07-09 6:33am)

#16 2018-07-09 2:21am

AlurencatBMX
Pro Member
Bikes: 14

STREETBEATBEAST wrote:

And some of us don't want that. Not the family part in my case as I love mine but I do like spending time alone wrenching or riding and it's nothing to do with not having anything better to do because I had a wife and threw her out.

The bottom line? I did what I had to do to be happy. If I regret it? then I regret it.

OP - if your genuine honest choice is a wife and family? then throw yourself at it. However, if you are doing something your heart won't sing to then it's wrong.

Some of us were made to settle down and have kids. Some were made to spend 45 years or more with the same person. If that appeals to you? awesome. However, some of us were made to do other things.

One thing I have learned from my life is that you can not lie to yourself. Well, you can, and you can hold off the inevitable but eventually it will get you. If your purpose is something else and you are not fulfilling it then eventually you will have to or it will drive you insane.

Good luck OP. I genuinely hope it all works out for you.

If you haven't seen the magical stars floating around whilst lying face down in the mud you ain't lived.

"If you asked me what era of BMX I preferred I would look at you blankly and say all of them. If you never stopped riding you wouldn't look back with fond memories you'd create them instead. I come from 'any school'"

#17 2018-07-09 2:25am

xtremevert
Pro MemberThe Gate Keeper
Bikes: 19

X

My Father once spoke to me and said "The way you look at your bike is the way I see My children, I look past the imperfections and rough surfaces to the beauty of the finished product."

#18 2018-07-09 5:54am

made2drag
Pro Member

I dont know if its been said but building a comfortable bike for your wife to ride with you makes for a great time and also its sharing your hobby in a productive way.  I assume you have a date night every once in awhile as a focus on each other...maybe a night dedicated to cruising together? 

The right seat on her bike is key to getting her to ride with you again.  A Gel seat cover helps.  Theres a thread on here somewhere where people give advice on which seats work best.

Increase the Peace

#19 2018-07-09 7:29am

made2drag
Pro Member

Re-reading the original post, I realize your battle is within your mind, not just finding ways to justify what you enjoy doing that seems to be taking over. Moderation is key, as you probably know, and finding a happy medium by meshing family and maybe even using your bikes in a new way.  Maybe start a ride in your area inviting people to go and developing new friends. These new friends will notice a difference in you and wonder why you don’t do this or that and why.  Who knows it may lead people to think about a bigger picture and hear something they’ve never heard before.

Increase the Peace

#20 2018-07-09 7:37am

badbill
Pro MemberBorn Ruthless
Bikes: 6

I was doing endo's before I had any hoes or real bros so BMX will probably be the last thing to go. Blessed be Jesus Christ though.

#21 2018-07-09 7:40am

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member“The Hammer”
Bikes: 76
For Sale: 4
Website

Marked for later reading cool

Posting and discussing guns on a vintage bmx collectors website is ok. Asking the value of a collectable vintage bmx bikes isn’t.

#22 2018-07-09 8:28am

300tour
Pro Member
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 7

You’re not alone! You basically described me as well! I know when I am on point with my daily devotions life heads in the right direction and my priorities are in line. Stay strong in the Lord!

Thanks for the post!

#23 2018-07-09 8:43am

KuWa FS
Pro MemberKuwahara Freestyler
Bikes: 7

BMX IS GOD!
CATCHALL OF BMX FUN IS HEAVEN!
big_smile

There is a section for everything else!  tongue

Well if you still don't believe you best get up and leave
Do what you must do, but this ain't the place for you

Kuwahara, its the best!!

When I'm dead, i'll stop riding bikes.

#24 2018-07-09 8:52am

stonie
Pro MemberThe Museum Therapist
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 48
Website

Kurt_Rad wrote:

Marked for later reading cool

+1 , have to go to work now.

Gnarly is when it's beyond radical, it's balls out danger, & or perfection, & or skill or all of that combined. Nobody can shred like that guy, he's gnarly.                                        \m/  ( º . º )  \m/

#25 2018-07-09 9:15am

benjimanactivate
Pro MemberS.K.R.I.P.T
Bikes: 19
Website

Great perspective on a loaded issue. I too am a devoted Christian man with a wife and 3 sons. I have done music ministry for 20 years and have been collecting Old school bmx for the last 12 years. The scripture says in everything you do, do it unto the lord. I have tried to represent my faith in all I do within the o.s. Community and also other hobbies that I believe God has placed me in to just care for and serve people in. The problem is not having bmx, the problem is bmx having you. I had to do something similar because I was living in front of a computer screen, going into debt and coveting, yes I said coveting certain parts and accolades. When doing what you do is a way to represent and serve others through a shared interest it can be an amazing thing. When it becomes more chains on your life, the burden is like a sickness. Find the balance and put God first. Thanks for your post bro!

I believe Jesus would have rode a GT Performer....carpenters can't afford Hutch.

While urinating, Chuck Norris is easily capable of welding titanium.

Driving a fast Honda is like coming out of the closet....sure it surprises you at first, but in the end you`re still gay.

Board footer

View Cart →