going to an electric vehicle does not reduce CO2  RSS Feed

#51 2019-05-21 5:39pm

spyker
Pro MemberDr. of Thuganonics

Re: going to an electric vehicle does not reduce CO2

CanyonCrusher wrote:

spyker wrote:

CanyonCrusher wrote:

Damn, so Musk is building rockets to fly to mars and land back on earth for reuse. But can’t design a battery to last for at least 100k of useage?

And I know from experience with these hybrids that those batteries are not cheap, almost as much as the car and weigh about 2/3 of the car itself! I can’t imagine how much a battery for a full blown electric vehicle costs and weighs!

The whole rocket thing for Elon is just a giant scam for him to milk money out of the pockes of the tax payers,that shit is almost entirely government funded.He is a true snake.His Space X program will never see the light of day in terms of reaching to Mars.But his bank account will be through the atmosphere!

No wonder his bank account will be so happy, if he’s building a flawed battery that can only last so long and I’m almost willing to bet there’s no such thing as an aftermarket battery for those cars. So he’ll have the Win, win side for all this... what a douché nozzle roll

The guy ain't stupid! He knows what he is doing.Now lithium will cost even more after what China just recently did.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength

Would you trust a lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?

#52 2019-05-21 5:43pm

CanyonCrusher
Pro MemberI R Mack-A-Nic
Bikes: 3

spyker wrote:

CanyonCrusher wrote:

spyker wrote:

The whole rocket thing for Elon is just a giant scam for him to milk money out of the pockes of the tax payers,that shit is almost entirely government funded.He is a true snake.His Space X program will never see the light of day in terms of reaching to Mars.But his bank account will be through the atmosphere!

No wonder his bank account will be so happy, if he’s building a flawed battery that can only last so long and I’m almost willing to bet there’s no such thing as an aftermarket battery for those cars. So he’ll have the Win, win side for all this... what a douché nozzle roll

The guy ain't stupid! He knows what he is doing.Now lithium will cost even more after what China just recently did.

We could totally get in on this cash cow... what if we design an aftermarket battery that would last 50k and we charge the same amount as the OE??

“It was more than just a hug Hawkeye, she hugged the stuffing out of me!!” -Willam Christopher/Father Mulcahy

“Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of happy hour.” -Alan Alda/Hawkeye Pierce

“As usual, I'm writing slowly because I know you can't read fast.” -Gary Burghoff/Radar O’Reilly

#53 2019-05-21 5:44pm

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member“The Hammer”
Bikes: 72
For Sale: 4
Website

Gearhead wrote:

Fake news.
"A meme shared repeatedly since 2016 contrasts a large lithium mine with a small oil sands extraction site in order to denounce the environmental impact of lithium mining for electric car batteries. However, the top photo shows a copper mine in Chile and the majority of lithium is extracted from brine."
https://factcheck.afp.com/meme-features … thium-mine

Exactly. Fake news just like 95% of everything else that get posted

Be Kind. Leave Feedback.

[img]http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/56126/9d4c6707-718c-4ec3-9aeb-aef1bc82caa95c467c81b65cd1c79e64.jpg[/img]

#54 2019-05-21 5:44pm

spyker

CanyonCrusher wrote:

spyker wrote:

CanyonCrusher wrote:

We could totally get in on this cash cow... what if we design an aftermarket battery that would last 50k and we charge the same amount as the OE??

The batteries used in a Tesla battery pack is a standard sized 18650  battery,same ones used in Vape gear.

#55 2019-05-21 5:45pm

spyker

Kurt_Rad wrote:

Gearhead wrote:

Fake news.
"A meme shared repeatedly since 2016 contrasts a large lithium mine with a small oil sands extraction site in order to denounce the environmental impact of lithium mining for electric car batteries. However, the top photo shows a copper mine in Chile and the majority of lithium is extracted from brine."
https://factcheck.afp.com/meme-features … thium-mine

Exactly. Fake news just like 95% of everything else that get posted

Everyone bullshits on here for fun,90% of it should not even be taken seriously.

#56 2019-05-21 5:54pm

CanyonCrusher
Pro MemberI R Mack-A-Nic

spyker wrote:

CanyonCrusher wrote:

spyker wrote:

The batteries used in a Tesla battery pack is a standard sized 18650  battery,same ones used in Vape gear.

Sounds like we got this.. I’ll draw up some plans and bring them along to the picnic so we can finalize this big_smile

“It was more than just a hug Hawkeye, she hugged the stuffing out of me!!” -Willam Christopher/Father Mulcahy

“As usual, I'm writing slowly because I know you can't read fast.” -Gary Burghoff/Radar O’Reilly

#57 2019-05-21 5:58pm

spyker

CanyonCrusher wrote:

spyker wrote:

CanyonCrusher wrote:

Sounds like we got this.. I’ll draw up some plans and bring them along to the picnic so we can finalize this big_smile

Sounds good!

#58 2019-05-21 6:00pm

Gearhead
Pro Member

CanyonCrusher wrote:

spyker wrote:

CanyonCrusher wrote:

Damn, so Musk is building rockets to fly to mars and land back on earth for reuse. But can’t design a battery to last for at least 100k of useage?

And I know from experience with these hybrids that those batteries are not cheap, almost as much as the car and weigh about 2/3 of the car itself! I can’t imagine how much a battery for a full blown electric vehicle costs and weighs!

https://www.tesla.com/support/vehicle-warranty
They actually warranty the batteries to 100,000 miles+, depending on the car, and guarantee a minimum of 70% capacity at that time. Careful charging and use habits will extend their life. Used, low mile, Model 3 battery packs are available for about $12k right now and that number will probably drop as more of them get wrecked and as production increases. After their usefulness as a vehicle battery diminishes, these li-ion batteries still retain quite a bit of useful storage capacity and are often reused for a variety of things such as solar power storage.

#59 2019-05-21 6:05pm

spyker

Gearhead wrote:

CanyonCrusher wrote:

spyker wrote:

They actually warranty the batteries to 100,000 miles+, depending on the car, and guarantee a minimum of 70% capacity at that time. Careful charging and use habits will extend their life. Used, low mile, Model 3 battery packs are available for about $12k right now and that number will probably drop as more of them get wrecked and as production increases. After their usefulness as a vehicle battery diminishes, these li-ion batteries still retain quite a bit of useful storage capacity and are often reused for a variety of things such as solar power storage.

Tesla has one of the absolute worst customer service you will ever experience,you can be put on hold from anywhere to 1-3 hours on the phone just to talk to someone.They are weasels too when it comes to hounoring anything,even something simple as a door handle(which is know to break often).So good luck getting a 30K battery pack out of them.

#60 2019-05-21 6:09pm

CanyonCrusher
Pro MemberI R Mack-A-Nic

Gearhead wrote:

CanyonCrusher wrote:

spyker wrote:

Now that was insightful, again I don’t know a whole lot about these full electric cars and how long the battery lasts in there. I mostly deal with the antique combustion engine and the occasional diesels. I’m sure that’ll have to change in the future especially with more and more of these electric vehicles coming out from everywhere. It’s good to know that the batteries that are not able to keep up with a vehicle are being used in other applications rather than thrown into a recycling bin somewhere or in a landfill. I still wanna know what the going rate is at these charging stations for all the other ones though...

#61 2019-05-21 6:28pm

Gearhead
Pro Member

CanyonCrusher wrote:

Gearhead wrote:

CanyonCrusher wrote:

Now that was insightful, again I don’t know a whole lot about these full electric cars and how long the battery lasts in there. I mostly deal with the antique combustion engine and the occasional diesels. I’m sure that’ll have to change in the future especially with more and more of these electric vehicles coming out from everywhere. It’s good to know that the batteries that are not able to keep up with a vehicle are being used in other applications rather than thrown into a recycling bin somewhere or in a landfill. I still wanna know what the going rate is at these charging stations for all the other ones though...

A quick Google search shows a company charging .40 to .80 cents per kWh. I think most cars have somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 kWh "tanks" with the largest being upwards of 100kWh. That sounds pretty high to me and probably on par with buying gas, price wise. Most people do most charging at home, as I understand it, so they are paying whatever the kWh rate is when plugged in. This is usually overnight when cost is lowest. A lot of employers have free charging stations and I've even heard of places that guarantee you a full charge at the end of the day but will use your battery to compensate for power fluctuations in the building and charger network throughout the day.

#62 2019-05-21 6:34pm

spyker

The issue with charging at home is,if you want the battery pack to charge quick,you need to install a charging station,or else the standard 120 electrical outlet will take forever to charge the car.I heard it is like a 6K option for this.

Tesla's offer a snob appeal to many,so most don't care about the money.I see this things everyday.

#63 2019-05-21 7:08pm

Gearhead
Pro Member

spyker wrote:

The issue with charging at home is,if you want the battery pack to charge quick,you need to install a charging station,or else the standard 120 electrical outlet will take forever to charge the car.I heard it is like a 6K option for this.

Tesla's offer a snob appeal to many,so most don't care about the money.I see this things everyday.

You can get about 20 to 30 miles of charge overnight on 120, good enough for a lot of people but not much fun. They also have a charger that connects to a standard 240 like a dryer uses that gives you about 25 miles of charge/hour with no home upgrades if you already have a 240 outlet. At that rate you'll always have a full tank when you leave in the morning (unless you space out and forget to plug in). I wonder when AAA is gonna start offering mobile supercharging like they give you free gas if you run out?

#64 2019-05-21 7:52pm

spyker

These damn things are everywhere! I just got back from walking the dog and spotted 5 of them.All within a few blocks of each other.

#65 2019-05-21 8:06pm

turdburd
Pro MemberOver The Wall
Bikes: 4

Electric car drivers around my area seem to think they can use the bike lane. Thinking about picking up a Lezyne Classic pedal wrench for special occasions.

Last edited by turdburd (2019-05-21 8:17pm)

Aba Ca-13 1982-84  #926 #547 #123

Board footer

View Cart →