You are not logged in.

Bmx show 101  RSS Feed

#51 2019-05-09 8:44am

spyker
Pro MemberPimp In Training

Re: Bmx show 101

lowrider wrote:

When I first built my retro Skyway (2013?) I took it to a local show along with a pretty rare mid/new school bike. I was surprised that the mid school got no attention but the Skyway ended up winning the cruiser class against some nice OG cruisers?? Made no sense to me but it was a peoples choice with a bunch of non bmx people and I guess they just liked the bling? Its like when I'm riding my retro Trickstar that gets a bunch of attention... Casual riders are not aware that there is such a thing as a retro Hutch, I've had a bunch of people think it was an 80s Hutch until I point out the obvious differences. neutral Trophies are fun to get but really don't mean much, just have a good time. cool

Whenever I ride my retro TA,it draws looks from alot of the older guys,they too think it is a OG from the 80's until I tell them Skyway was making them again.Majority of shows nowadays is nothing more than a dick measuring contest! Whoevr spent the most money usually wins.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!

#52 2019-05-09 8:54am

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 79

meangreen92lx wrote:

Spintech wrote:

Also depends on the show. Whenever I attend, I observe how judges do their judging. On the Gary Turner shows, they seem to go for more technicality, like checking if your tires are aired properly, spoke tensions, brakes are dialed, seat guts not moving, brake calipers closing evenly, brake pads touching the rims at the same time, chain tensioned properly, cranks spinning smoothly, etc. The BMX Society shows seem to lean towards originality and history and less on technicalities.

Crap half the bikes at the shows I go to look like they won't ride 10 feet. Lol..

lol yup finger tight so after the show. they can take it back apart. call the stuff show mounted only. to get a higher price when they go to sell it. to make their wife happy.

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#53 2019-05-09 8:56am

spyker
Pro MemberPimp In Training

meangreen92lx wrote:

Spintech wrote:

Also depends on the show. Whenever I attend, I observe how judges do their judging. On the Gary Turner shows, they seem to go for more technicality, like checking if your tires are aired properly, spoke tensions, brakes are dialed, seat guts not moving, brake calipers closing evenly, brake pads touching the rims at the same time, chain tensioned properly, cranks spinning smoothly, etc. The BMX Society shows seem to lean towards originality and history and less on technicalities.

Crap half the bikes at the shows I go to look like they won't ride 10 feet. Lol..

Most cannot even ride a bike no more.The checkbook collectors are the most obvious ones out of the bunch.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!

#54 2019-05-09 11:31am

Spintech
Pro MemberMinimalist hoarder
Bikes: 4
For Sale: 1

lowrider wrote:

Spintech wrote:

I did like that at the Rad show last year, I saw one of the judges checking the brakes on the bikes to see that they worked properly. I feel like even if your not going to ride your bike, it should at least be built to ride, not everything finger tight, no grease, cables not attached, etc. Like the cars that I have seen at lowrider shows that get pushed off and on a trailer, never actually starting or running... come on roll

I attended a car show where this guy was proudly demo'ing his airbag suspension when a chunk of bondoe'd side panel just came off yikes   He was the butt of all jokes that day.

-Joe

#55 2019-05-09 11:48am

Spintech
Pro MemberMinimalist hoarder
Bikes: 4
For Sale: 1

Best part is when you see crowds gather around your bike and you quietly lurk behind them and listen what they have to say. I love hearing pure, unfiltered comments about my builds. Negative or positive, just say it. I love watching people reactions. I've found that: a) People are amazed with Hutch and b) I have no idea why people are amazed with Hutch lol

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/71353/ndf_78965cd475d424.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/71353/ndf_79695cd475d991.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/71353/ndf_80255cd475dd93.jpg

-Joe

#56 2019-05-09 3:37pm

mcman87
Pro MemberEis aner oudeis aner
For Sale: 4

Spintech wrote:

Best part is when you see crowds gather around your bike and you quietly lurk behind them and listen what they have to say. I love hearing pure, unfiltered comments about my builds. Negative or positive, just say it. I love watching people reactions. I've found that: a) People are amazed with Hutch and b) I have no idea why people are amazed with Hutch lol

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 75d424.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 75d991.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 75dd93.jpg

Very true. Unfiltered comments are the best. Good, bad or indifferent. I also like the opportunity to educate people on my bike(s). Most confuse my Schwinn cruiser as a Team 24 model but it’s not. It’s more rare than that. I even informed Stu Thompson on it at the show. He’s a very nice guy.

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid."-John Wayne
44T BMX Club -IA Chapter- “Iowa’s sole member!”

#57 2019-05-10 11:23am

turdburd
Pro MemberOver The Wall
Bikes: 5

At one of the Gary Turner shows a judge told me I should take my survivor VDC and rebuild it with higher level parts. So it would be like a factory Pro bike.
Didn't listen to him, won 80's race with it at last  years BMX Society show. Go figure.

ABA Ca-13 1982-84  #926 #547 #123

Board footer

View Cart →