#26 2019-05-08 7:30am

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 74

Re: Bmx show 101

Bporter wrote:

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

turdburd wrote:

Just go and have fun. However your bike is put together it will not fit the show some of the time. One show will favor the restored bikes the next could favor survivor bikes.
Might even have the head scratching how did those bikes win at either of the above mentioned shows.
Just build the bike for you and enjoy it. Ride it or not doesn't make a difference to me. I say that because I know a few who enjoy the bikes but can't ride them for various reasons.

yup one guy say spends years tracking down parts to build as close to a new 1984 BMX as he could. another guy spent years finding and throwing on every supper rare part his wallet could afford to his BMx. yet the show win. went to a guy egged on by those friends last minute to attend the show. he stops at a gas station another friends got to pee bad. while waiting he surfs the local Craigs list adds for bikes. spots a BMX under a pile of junked bikes in a back yard. covered in leaves  and weeds growing threw it. he calls buys the bike. do's not even remove the weds growing threw the spokes of wheel.  airs the tires up when they get to the show and won fist place!

Yeah not quite.... but there are some head shakers for sure!

It is all for fun, making connections and memories

no that really happened a guy showed up with a rusty bmx with weeds growing out of it. he bought it the day of the show on the way there. did not clean it and one his class. I cant remember the brand bike. but the judges gave it the win.

and who can for get the JMC race. bike that beat out all the Hutch trick stars , GT performers, Dyno's , profile prostylers and other freestyle bikes for the win.  just because the judges liked it better for some resins. even though the JMC had no rotor/gyro, no pegs IE no freestyle specific made parts. yet won freestyle class.
so ya my point being don't go to try and win.  build what you like. bring it along to see how many others like it just have fun!

Last edited by FRESSTYLE FREEK (2019-05-08 7:39am)

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#27 2019-05-08 9:14am

Ralph Wiggum
Pro Memberchillywilly263 1%er
Bikes: 14
For Sale: 3

Agentxxiii wrote:

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 21090b.jpg
I GOT A SHOW WINNER if anyone is interested

At least that one looks nice.

I’m not a real doctor but I am a real worm

#28 2019-05-08 9:24am

spyker
Pro MemberDr. of Thuganonics

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

Bporter wrote:

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

yup one guy say spends years tracking down parts to build as close to a new 1984 BMX as he could. another guy spent years finding and throwing on every supper rare part his wallet could afford to his BMx. yet the show win. went to a guy egged on by those friends last minute to attend the show. he stops at a gas station another friends got to pee bad. while waiting he surfs the local Craigs list adds for bikes. spots a BMX under a pile of junked bikes in a back yard. covered in leaves  and weeds growing threw it. he calls buys the bike. do's not even remove the weds growing threw the spokes of wheel.  airs the tires up when they get to the show and won fist place!

no that really happened a guy showed up with a rusty bmx with weeds growing out of it. he bought it the day of the show on the way there. did not clean it and one his class. I cant remember the brand bike. but the judges gave it the win.

and who can for get the JMC race. bike that beat out all the Hutch trick stars , GT performers, Dyno's , profile prostylers and other freestyle bikes for the win.  just because the judges liked it better for some resins. even though the JMC had no rotor/gyro, no pegs IE no freestyle specific made parts. yet won freestyle class.
so ya my point being don't go to try and win.  build what you like. bring it along to see how many others like it just have fun!

These wins make no sense at all.The judges have no usiness juding anything at all.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
Lying cheating untrustworthy scamming livestock screwing ugly crater face racist snitch!

#29 2019-05-08 9:25am

spyker

TMS40 wrote:

Rule 1.
Cry like a bitch if you don’t win a little plastic trophy.

I saw this happen twice at a local show!!! Same person too.

Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
Lying cheating untrustworthy scamming livestock screwing ugly crater face racist snitch!

#30 2019-05-08 11:18am

Draw
Pro MemberRev on the Redline
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 6

Bporter wrote:

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

do's not even remove the weds growing threw the spokes of wheel.  airs the tires up when they get to the show and won fist place!

yet ive seen what FREEK described happen at bike shows and even car shows.

samstheman wrote:

What do you think is most important  on your builds? ........  But I want to bring the best stuff I can to the show also?

bring lots of friends so they can vote for your bike.

thats how you win most times, or at least peoples choice.

Last edited by Draw (2019-05-08 11:22am)

Light, Strong, Cheap ... Pick two

#31 2019-05-08 11:49am

FRESSTYLE FREEK

spyker wrote:

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

Bporter wrote:

These wins make no sense at all.The judges have no usiness juding anything at all.

it was a replica build. the very first BMX built that kids  tried tricks on. was the same bike they raced on. but ye not really what most call freestyle bikes. as for the other bike it was 26" stupid old/rare so guess that's why it one??

#32 2019-05-08 12:17pm

spyker

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

spyker wrote:

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

it was a replica build. the very first BMX built that kids  tried tricks on. was the same bike they raced on. but ye not really what most call freestyle bikes. as for the other bike it was 26" stupid old/rare so guess that's why it one??

I recall one local show you attended how a retro Skyway TA won best in show???

#33 2019-05-08 12:19pm

samstheman
Pro Member
Bikes: 7

Everyone who participated in this discussion will be sent a participation trophy thanks for you feedback.http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/37896/a7cf4f10-b846-4142-82b9-4ef6aed4a67b5cd32ba633.png

Its all good!

#34 2019-05-08 12:21pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK

spyker wrote:

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

spyker wrote:

yes that happened at the GT show swap meet Santa Anna CA. it was a straight from bikes shop stock Retro bike.

Last edited by FRESSTYLE FREEK (2019-05-08 12:22pm)

#35 2019-05-08 12:28pm

spyker

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

spyker wrote:

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

yes that happened at the GT show swap meet Santa Anna CA. it was a straight from bikes shop stock Retro bike.

Got a pic or link to the show?

#36 2019-05-08 12:32pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK

spyker wrote:

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

spyker wrote:

theirs a thread on museum. just not sure how far back in catch all it is.

#37 2019-05-08 12:32pm

tdarby
Pro Member

Dont carry your bikes around.   The roll fine on the tires. big_smile

#38 2019-05-08 12:38pm

spyker

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

spyker wrote:

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

It should also be in thevents section.

#39 2019-05-08 12:59pm

Spintech
Pro MemberMinimalist hoarder
Bikes: 4
For Sale: 2

Build your bikes the way you would have built them BITD. There is no telling what judges would favor that particular day. It would totally depend on their mood or if they have PMS that day.

-Joe

#40 2019-05-08 1:09pm

Spintech
Pro MemberMinimalist hoarder
For Sale: 2

Also depends on the show. Whenever I attend, I observe how judges do their judging. On the Gary Turner shows, they seem to go for more technicality, like checking if your tires are aired properly, spoke tensions, brakes are dialed, seat guts not moving, brake calipers closing evenly, brake pads touching the rims at the same time, chain tensioned properly, cranks spinning smoothly, etc. The BMX Society shows seem to lean towards originality and history and less on technicalities.

-Joe

#41 2019-05-08 1:11pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK

spyker wrote:

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

spyker wrote:

It should also be in thevents section.

maybe
https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=786531
https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=517576
but it wasin catch all do to people wanting to now how a brand new Retro 26" beat beat out a real 26" OS 83/84 GT for best of show or in cruiser class  roll so they put it were it gets seen most catch all.

#42 2019-05-08 2:08pm

TMS40
Pro Member

samstheman wrote:

Everyone who participated in this discussion will be sent a participation trophy thanks for you feedback.http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 2ba633.png

Thank you. I can hold my head high now. I feel like a winner.

#43 2019-05-08 2:20pm

turdburd
Pro MemberOver The Wall

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

spyker wrote:

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

Pretty sure the Retro Skyway actually beat one of the original Skyway 24's that was also at the show.

Last edited by turdburd (2019-05-08 2:21pm)

ABA Ca-13 1982-84  #926 #547 #123

#44 2019-05-08 4:19pm

ChrisHunt
Pro Member
Website

Just go and bring a bike !

82-86 NBL / Freestyl'n 83-86

#45 2019-05-08 7:07pm

ABA180
Candy Apples
Bikes: 2

blammo585 wrote:

I think the lesson to be learned here is get a Dyno VFR and you will win. lol

Who knew? haha

#46 2019-05-09 4:42am

meangreen92lx
Pro Member
For Sale: 4

Spintech wrote:

Also depends on the show. Whenever I attend, I observe how judges do their judging. On the Gary Turner shows, they seem to go for more technicality, like checking if your tires are aired properly, spoke tensions, brakes are dialed, seat guts not moving, brake calipers closing evenly, brake pads touching the rims at the same time, chain tensioned properly, cranks spinning smoothly, etc. The BMX Society shows seem to lean towards originality and history and less on technicalities.

Crap half the bikes at the shows I go to look like they won't ride 10 feet. Lol..

#47 2019-05-09 5:12am

mcman87
Pro MemberEis aner oudeis aner
For Sale: 5

My first and only time I’ve won was at the BMX Reunion show in Cedar Rapids IA last year. I built my bike up with mostly era correct parts, some repop, but it’s also my daily rider. I put a lot of miles on this thing. This was the first show I’ve been to where it was judged by just 2-3 dudes instead of ballets where 20 of your buddies can vote for your bike because they like you. Grant it, there wasn’t a ton of bikes there for competition but I still feel like it was a good win because it wasn’t a popularity contest. Moral of the story-build it how you want. Don’t worry about winning. If you win, you win. If you don’t oh well. I just love going to shows and talking BMX and having fun. http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/95057/c46aa98b-4d0b-4d0c-9ff3-346c6be95fe85c65eca441.jpeg

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid."-John Wayne
44T BMX Club -IA Chapter- “Iowa’s sole member!”

#48 2019-05-09 8:24am

lowrider
Pro MemberRiding On My 20
Bikes: 29

Spintech wrote:

I did like that at the Rad show last year, I saw one of the judges checking the brakes on the bikes to see that they worked properly. I feel like even if your not going to ride your bike, it should at least be built to ride, not everything finger tight, no grease, cables not attached, etc. Like the cars that I have seen at lowrider shows that get pushed off and on a trailer, never actually starting or running... come on roll

[img]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p147/wlkeohi/006-1.jpg[/img]

#49 2019-05-09 8:26am

spyker

turdburd wrote:

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

spyker wrote:

Pretty sure the Retro Skyway actually beat one of the original Skyway 24's that was also at the show.

This is proof enough the judges at that show had no business jidging anything or knew nothing about bmx in general.

#50 2019-05-09 8:35am

lowrider
Pro MemberRiding On My 20
Bikes: 29

When I first built my retro Skyway (2013?) I took it to a local show along with a pretty rare mid/new school bike. I was surprised that the mid school got no attention but the Skyway ended up winning the cruiser class against some nice OG cruisers?? Made no sense to me but it was a peoples choice with a bunch of non bmx people and I guess they just liked the bling? Its like when I'm riding my retro Trickstar that gets a bunch of attention... Casual riders are not aware that there is such a thing as a retro Hutch, I've had a bunch of people think it was an 80s Hutch until I point out the obvious differences. neutral Trophies are fun to get but really don't mean much, just have a good time. cool

[img]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p147/wlkeohi/006-1.jpg[/img]

Board footer

View Cart →