You are not logged in.

Kuwahara Frame and Fork Help! Fake?  RSS Feed

#1 2019-04-01 8:17am

traviscur
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2019-02-18
Posts: 7

Kuwahara Frame and Fork Help! Fake?

Could anyone identify this Kuwahara frame and fork? I've searched and searched for a Kuwahara frame that matched mine. Unfortunately, I found nothing that matched my teardrop seatpost. I'm starting to think its a fake? I'd really appreciate any info on its age, authenticity, and value.
Thanks for reading.
https://i.imgur.com/TVmaAFl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/pgPtnhx.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/nl2JniR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/oFEcybi.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/bKswH0A.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/wDjlbpl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ECHVhvO.jpg

Offline

 

#2 2019-04-01 9:03am

Crashman
Pro Member
From: Mount Pleasant, MI
Registered: 2012-04-22
Posts: 6111
Bikes: 2

Re: Kuwahara Frame and Fork Help! Fake?

Huffy Pro Lighting Cro-Moly. It's rarer than a Kuwahara and made with Tange tubing. The special Tange forks on these were so nice that everyone stole them, leaving most of the few-hundred frames without a matching fork set. And the frames were better than those of most popular brands: Kids were just shit-heads.

Last edited by Crashman (2019-04-01 9:05am)


Wanted: OPC shells for 6005 bearings (47mm)

Offline

 

#3 2019-04-01 9:56am

Peace12
Pro Member
From: Eastern US
Registered: 2012-10-26
Posts: 1450
Bikes: 13

Re: Kuwahara Frame and Fork Help! Fake?

Here’s some of the pics. Nice frame. http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/107078/b82c483f-02be-4a20-9322-67ab331d1da55ca242a6b0.jpeg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/107078/54fafc9b-ec89-4336-a483-6d88bc09fd8d5ca242a6ba.jpeg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/107078/167a02ce-010c-417f-b642-003bb3fe9e8a5ca242b1b9.jpeg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/107078/74cfb9f0-5d5f-47f7-8824-fe04a241f15f5ca242b195.jpeg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/107078/fb98fe6c-3b10-4129-8b1b-ac1a0f4a64115ca242b211.jpeg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/107078/281c88a5-f2e4-4c1a-8101-2b17e33480bf5ca242b20b.jpeg

Last edited by Peace12 (2019-04-01 9:56am)

Offline

 

#4 2019-04-01 11:05am

Crashman
Pro Member
From: Mount Pleasant, MI
Registered: 2012-04-22
Posts: 6111
Bikes: 2

Re: Kuwahara Frame and Fork Help! Fake?

Oh hey, I didn't look at the forks. Those appear to be from a Schwinn Predator. The correct forks would have been a direct copy of the same ones used on Raleigh R-series and cheaper Pro Lightnings, but with a few alterations: They were stamped Tange on the steerer, had a stripe milled around the crown just under the race, had welded caps on the ends with the welds ground smooth, and had no safety washer holes. Most Pro Lighting Cro-Moly forks were sold by scammers as either Tange ARX or Skyway (here's a pair that was misidentified as ARX):
http://www.bmxsociety.com/uploads/monthly_01_2015/post-10691-0-45537000-1422164358.jpg
http://www.bmxsociety.com/uploads/monthly_01_2015/post-10691-0-25654900-1422164352.png


Wanted: OPC shells for 6005 bearings (47mm)

Offline

 

#5 2019-04-01 1:42pm

CustardLips
Pro Member
From: Manchester, England
Registered: 2011-11-16
Posts: 157

Re: Kuwahara Frame and Fork Help! Fake?

Got any pics of the rear dropouts... from what i can see it doesn't look like a Kuwahara.
Never seen an oval seat post before either ?

Offline

 

#6 2019-04-01 3:02pm

Crashman
Pro Member
From: Mount Pleasant, MI
Registered: 2012-04-22
Posts: 6111
Bikes: 2

Re: Kuwahara Frame and Fork Help! Fake?

CustardLips wrote:

Got any pics of the rear dropouts... from what i can see it doesn't look like a Kuwahara.
Never seen an oval seat post before either ?

It's already been ID'd, it's a Huffy Pro Lighting Chrome-Moly. It will always be a top-quality frame, and will never get the respect it deserves, because so few people have ever cared that there's a difference.
https://bmxmuseum.com/image/3665be26-9464-4287-8844-fb1696ab80965b12ecf03e_blowup.jpg

Last edited by Crashman (2019-04-01 3:19pm)


Wanted: OPC shells for 6005 bearings (47mm)

Offline

 

#7 2019-04-07 5:39pm

traviscur
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2019-02-18
Posts: 7

Re: Kuwahara Frame and Fork Help! Fake?

Crashman wrote:

Huffy Pro Lighting Cro-Moly. It's rarer than a Kuwahara and made with Tange tubing. The special Tange forks on these were so nice that everyone stole them, leaving most of the few-hundred frames without a matching fork set. And the frames were better than those of most popular brands: Kids were just shit-heads.

Thanks so much for your help! I’ve been trying to ID this forever.

Offline

 

#8 2019-04-07 6:32pm

Crashman
Pro Member
From: Mount Pleasant, MI
Registered: 2012-04-22
Posts: 6111
Bikes: 2

Re: Kuwahara Frame and Fork Help! Fake?

traviscur wrote:

Crashman wrote:

Huffy Pro Lighting Cro-Moly. It's rarer than a Kuwahara and made with Tange tubing. The special Tange forks on these were so nice that everyone stole them, leaving most of the few-hundred frames without a matching fork set. And the frames were better than those of most popular brands: Kids were just shit-heads.

Thanks so much for your help! I’ve been trying to ID this forever.

I believe the seat post clamp is interchangeable with the cheap version of the frame, but I know for certain that the seat post is not. Without a specific Pro Lighting Chrom-Moly post that frame is nearly useless.


Wanted: OPC shells for 6005 bearings (47mm)

Offline

 

Board footer

View Cart →