You are not logged in.

Thoughts on Race Inc. 26 re-issue?!  RSS Feed

#76 2019-04-02 7:51am

ChaseDyno-Bmx
Pro MemberMuseum Ambassadorship Apprentice
Bikes: 7

Re: Thoughts on Race Inc. 26 re-issue?!

I would Have Already Bought one If They Was For sale to ship out ASAP .    What’s Going to happen if they Only sale less than 30 , that’s where there at now 28.  So we are all suppose to pay for something That’s Not even real at the Moment

Last edited by ChaseDyno-Bmx (2019-04-02 12:36pm)

#77 2019-04-02 8:05am

swbuf
Pro MemberThe alter boy

streetfreak wrote:

I may have Beene. Bit more tempted, if there were anodized offerings. Seems kinda lame' to powder them, it's is supposed to be retro...

FWIW, some bikes were powered bitd as well.
I really don't mind it, kinda like it, but I'm not a buyer at this point.  And I don't see it as a cash grab, it's not like they'll be retiring on this type of profit (if much at all with these numbers).  I think for a retro, not replica, it's done well and quality looks nice.

Edit-and I would be considering it if it were a 24.

Last edited by swbuf (2019-04-02 8:08am)

#78 2019-04-02 8:16am

ChaseDyno-Bmx

It Looks Beautiful, I want One, But.

#79 2019-04-02 9:10am

Gylles Smyth
Pro Member
Bikes: 11

notapadawan wrote:

I met Chris (the owner of Race Inc) at the Grands about 3 or 4 years ago and actually helped sticker some of the first batch of 20s. The 24s are completely awesome. They're also making DJs as well and look just as sick as the rest of their bikes. I like the 26s but I'd prefer if they were made here in the US of A

Very cool.

One of the major reasons I hung on to my 2016 Race Inc. Pro-XXL 20" was specifically because it was US made; still think it's unfortunate that the 26" won't be.

I'm not a shredder, just a songwriter that plays too many notes.

46-50 Novice - USA BMX WA-01 - 2014 FTB Revolution AA-Pro - https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/factory_team_bikes/104086

#80 2019-04-02 9:15am

spyker
Pro MemberpiMp sLaPpA'

notapadawan wrote:

Schmittstix wrote:

the-mongoose-flies wrote:

Yeah, a 24" or even a 20" would be better, but I still wouldn't pay $850 for either. Kind of pricey.

I just looked at their website. Apparently they made 24's (sold out) . I didnt even know this company was making a comeback till today
20" as well

I met Chris (the owner of Race Inc) at the Grands about 3 or 4 years ago and actually helped sticker some of the first batch of 20s. The 24s are completely awesome. They're also making DJs as well and look just as sick as the rest of their bikes. I like the 26s but I'd prefer if they were made here in the US of A

Really! they are going to make DJ's too......can't wait to see them.I'm curently in the market for a new DJ frame,might have to wait and see what they come up with.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!
never unarmed!
#VOGR
no fijindus

#81 2019-04-02 9:16am

spyker
Pro MemberpiMp sLaPpA'

ChaseDyno-Bmx wrote:

I would Have Already Bought one If They Was For sale to ship out ASAP .  These companies need our money before Hand  to make there aspirations happen?  That’s Kinda lame, Step Out And grow a pair and build it and See if they come to buy It.  What’s Going to happen if they Only sale less than 30 , that’s where there at now 28.  So we are all suppose to pay for something That’s Not even real at the Moment

You do make a valid point.Many people want the product now if they pay for it.

Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
never unarmed!
#VOGR
no fijindus

#82 2019-04-02 9:17am

spyker
Pro MemberpiMp sLaPpA'

Gylles Smyth wrote:

notapadawan wrote:

Very cool.

One of the major reasons I hung on to my 2016 Race Inc. Pro-XXL 20" was specifically because it was US made; still think it's unfortunate that the 26" won't be.

Pretty sure the 26 will be just as good quality as the 20's.

$20 goes a long way here
never unarmed!
#VOGR
no fijindus

#83 2019-04-02 9:34am

brettweir89
Pro MemberROA DAE O
Bikes: 3

From their website:
In 1984, Race Inc. went out of business. In 2015, Race Inc. BMX was incorporated as a business in the State of Indiana and the name and logo was registered through the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), in order to produce and sell frames and products under the Race Inc. name.

That means its literally likely a 1 person Company now.

Let's say the Company he found overseas agreed to make framesets for Race, Inc. but wants minimum order of 100 frames (as that company isn't going to bother setting up their machinery, making jigs, etc. unless its worthwhile). At let's say $425 each (based off asking price that's a 50% markup not uncommon to ensure decent profit). That means likely one guy who owns the Race, Inc. brand has to get a loan for $42,500 to book the order. Which for many small companies is not realistic. Add to that since overseas, shipping to the US for 100 frames and any tarrifs/taxes on imported goods. Let's say very conservatively $25 per frame, so another $2,500 bringing total to $45,000 out of pocket for Race, Inc.

So, to protect his company from going broke and having creditors all over them (because lets say he ordered 100 and sold 10 of them!) they ask people to pre-order to see if there is enough interest to justify financially being able to book the order. You can't just have people "sign up" as then going off that "promise" to purchase, when actually arrives... oh, my car broke. Oh, I lost my job... divorce, kid now needs braces, changed my mind, etc.

That's just the way it works... no different then the Star Wars fans inside Kenner came up with the idea of the hugely geeky Jabba sail barge but had to sell enough to convince the internal bean counters at Kenner to actually make the product (this was explained by the Haslab part of Kenner when they were trying to get enough pre-orders purchased to get internal approval for production).

Last edited by brettweir89 (2019-04-02 10:46am)

So long as the paperwork is clean, you boys can do what you like out there. -Fifi McAffee (MFP)
Hey Fella! You're a turkey! -Jim Goose (MFP)

#84 2019-04-02 9:36am

brettweir89
Pro MemberROA DAE O
Bikes: 3

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe? … 6y1eo7.1.1

(do a search for Race, Inc. get results, item #4 "RACE INC. QUALITY BMX PRODUCTS"

US Patent office for BMX Corporation comes up as someone's house on Google Maps. So, my guess that Race, Inc. is a small or one guy show, is likely accurate.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/199820/race5ca3932340.jpg

Last edited by brettweir89 (2019-04-02 1:17pm)

So long as the paperwork is clean, you boys can do what you like out there. -Fifi McAffee (MFP)
Hey Fella! You're a turkey! -Jim Goose (MFP)

#85 2019-04-02 10:38am

Vert Ripper
Pro MemberCruiser Junkie

Race Inc (the current one) is definitely a one man show.

He used to have Sal welding his frames. I'm not sure why he switched to overseas production.

I think these are pretty rad. I've been in contact with the owner (Chris) for the last couple of years trying to get info on these. I decided not to buy one not because of price, but because I wanted a true retro with 1" steel tube, brake bridge and US BB.

As far as hoping for other reissues, I think Chris mentioned that they have no intention of producing Race Inc bikes that were made in the past. The only reason the 26" was considered was because it was never produced back in the day. That may change- who really knows.

Congrats to those that got them! I look forward to seeing pics of them being built up on here cool

Coping, cruisers and cliff jumping.

*** WTB original finish Champion 26” 3 bar cruiser. Please, no repops, rewelds, or repaints. Also, no bikes welded in 2018. ***

- Jim Sotelo

#86 2019-04-02 10:54am

Gylles Smyth
Pro Member

spyker wrote:

Gylles Smyth wrote:

notapadawan wrote:

Very cool.

Pretty sure the 26 will be just as good quality as the 20's.

I'm pretty sure they will be as well.  My focus was more to the point that the 2016-era stuff being USA-made was a key consideration for me in deciding to hang on to it.  Just think it's cool to have a new race bike that was built here.

46-50 Novice - USA BMX WA-01 - 2014 FTB Revolution AA-Pro - https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/factory_team_bikes/104086

#87 2019-04-02 11:05am

Gylles Smyth
Pro Member

brettweir89 wrote:

From their website:
In 1984, Race Inc. went out of business. In 2015, Race Inc. BMX was incorporated as a business in the State of Indiana and the name and logo was registered through the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), in order to produce and sell frames and products under the Race Inc. name.

Let's say the Company he found overseas agreed to make framesets for Race, Inc. but wants minimum order of 100 frames (as that company isn't going to bother setting up their machinery, making jigs, etc. unless its worthwhile). At let's say $425 each (based off asking price that's a 50% markup not uncommon to ensure decent profit). That means likely one guy who owns the Race, Inc. brand has to get a loan for $42,500 to book the order. Which for many small companies is not realistic. Add to that since overseas, shipping to the US for 100 frames and any tarrifs/taxes on imported goods. Let's say very conservatively $25 per frame, so another $2,500 bringing total to $45,000 out of pocket for Race, Inc.

So, to protect his company from going broke and having creditors all over them (because lets say he ordered 100 and sold 10 of them!) they ask people to pre-order to see if there is enough interest to justify financially being able to book the order. You can't just have people "sign up" as then going off that "promise" to purchase, when actually arrives... oh, my car broke. Oh, I lost my job... divorce, kid now needs braces, changed my mind, etc.

That's just the way it works... no different then the Star Wars fans inside Kenner came up with the idea of the hugely geeky Jabba sail barge but had to sell enough to convince the internal bean counters at Kenner to actually make the product (this was explained by the Haslab part of Kenner when they were trying to get enough pre-orders purchased to get internal approval for production).

Yep, pretty much this.

I've seen a few MTB-related YouTube channels that have posted videos where the individuals running the channels have gone over to Taiwan to see what's involved in sourcing frames and setting up their own companies.  Even going the cheapest routes with off-the-shelf designs, they're well into five-figures to get started.  For a guy (Chris) who's doing Race Inc. as a side project to his normal life, you can imagine how he'd want to test the waters before committing.

#88 2019-04-02 11:50am

ChaseDyno-Bmx

brettweir89 wrote:

From their website:

Makes Since To Me, I guess They Just Don’t Know If it’s going to be a flip or Flop.  I didn’t know this was common with these companies Now.  I just Like Buy Now Ship Now , I’m So Impatient.  Hurry hurry hurry go go go Seems Like I need To Slow Down .  Maybe I can Enjoy More

#89 2019-04-02 12:40pm

Coco

turdburd wrote:

spyker wrote:

turdburd wrote:

Have to  imagine getting just a 100 framesets made would not be cheap. Throw in padset, decals and box it adds up.
SE can do a complete for same price because they do 1000's of bikes and just change color year after year. Guess if you want something really unique your gonna pay. Just my 2 cents.

SE products made in Chine,these are made in Taiwan,big difference in price.

Race Inc is hopefully paying for a person in Taiwan to get a decent wage.  China made bike who knows what they are getting payed.

China routes bikes through Taiwan. Sticker and box a China-made frame in Taiwan = Made In Taiwan. Who really knows where this is made?

#90 2019-04-02 12:50pm

Gylles Smyth
Pro Member

ChaseDyno-Bmx wrote:

brettweir89 wrote:

From their website:

Makes Since To Me, I guess They Just Don’t Know If it’s going to be a flip or Flop.  I didn’t know this was common with these companies Now.  I just Like Buy Now Ship Now , I’m So Impatient.  Hurry hurry hurry go go go Seems Like I need To Slow Down .  Maybe I can Enjoy More

Come to think of it, I think Skyway did the same thing with a run of T/As something like six years ago, as have others more recently, where they require a $100 deposit well in advance of production.  Without enough orders, they cancel the project and refund.  Something like a Kickstarter campaign for retro-BMX bikes.

#91 2019-04-02 1:00pm

spyker
Pro MemberpiMp sLaPpA'

Coco wrote:

turdburd wrote:

spyker wrote:

SE products made in Chine,these are made in Taiwan,big difference in price.

Race Inc is hopefully paying for a person in Taiwan to get a decent wage.  China made bike who knows what they are getting payed.

China routes bikes through Taiwan. Sticker and box a China-made frame in Taiwan = Made In Taiwan. Who really knows where this is made?

Is this a proven fact or just speculation?

$20 goes a long way here
never unarmed!
#VOGR
no fijindus

#92 2019-04-02 1:04pm

2cyclones2
Centurion Member

It's nitpicking, but they've had more than 28 pre-orders. All that drop down tells you is that serial numbers 1 through 28 are spoken for. I chose 81. Another member chose 85. I'm not into the whole lower number fixation. I chose a number that had personal significance to me. Yes, I'd love to have it tomorrow, but I can deal with the wait all things considered.

#93 2019-04-02 1:12pm

spyker
Pro MemberpiMp sLaPpA'

2cyclones2 wrote:

It's nitpicking, but they've had more than 28 pre-orders. All that drop down tells you is that serial numbers 1 through 28 are spoken for. I chose 81. Another member chose 85. I'm not into the whole lower number fixation. I chose a number that had personal significance to me. Yes, I'd love to have it tomorrow, but I can deal with the wait all things considered.

81 is also a meaning for a certain bike group.

$20 goes a long way here
never unarmed!
#VOGR
no fijindus

#94 2019-04-02 1:30pm

BRIAN HAYS
Pro Member
Bikes: 31
For Sale: 2

So Sal Correa (of SE fame) has made all the Race Inc frames for Chris starting with the 2016 frames. Real bummer to see it go overseas. Nothing wrong with overseas under the right circumstances. Just wonder what happened with Sal?

Looking for og finish and decals 91 and 92 GHP frame sets.

If it's in "my bikes" then I still own it and have possession of it. I only list what I actually currently own.

I live for Race Inc, SE Racing, Navajo, Nomura, GHP and Prodyne!!!

#95 2019-04-02 1:55pm

ChaseDyno-Bmx

What happens If They Don’t Sale The 100 .  Will they Just Refund Our Money Back.

#96 2019-04-02 1:57pm

Minx20
Pro Member
Bikes: 26

spyker wrote:

Coco wrote:

turdburd wrote:

Sounds like something you would come up with loltongue

#97 2019-04-02 2:02pm

Sodbuster
Pro Member
Bikes: 14

spyker wrote:

ohiobmx wrote:

spyker wrote:

Did not see that! I thought it was the actual price.Ya that is too much for this.The company should just state the full price instead of messing around with this type of tactic.

Agreed.  It's like those old television advertisements, stating that it's yours for 4 monthly installments of $19.95.  When the value is only $19.95.

This frameset and style of advertisement reminds me of IKONIX.

Exactly! Except without the venomous hate aimed at the makers like in that case. Where's the "Bull dokie" outrage here? lol

When I find a part i need for something I am putting together and I have no trust as to weather the part is 30 years old or 30 days old and I'm being charged a price on par with the real genuine and true item. I not only have to question the logic of people with your mind set but the state of the whole hobby in general. That is more to the point why so many people that knew better just walked away. Because they stopped being "OLD" kids bikes and are just kids bikes. Where in all that does the bullshit really lay?

#98 2019-04-02 8:59pm

Coco

spyker wrote:

Coco wrote:

turdburd wrote:

This photo taken at the recent Taiwan bike show. Right off the velo news website.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/59896/dsc00614-1080x7205ca42f86a7.jpg

#99 2019-04-02 9:38pm

spyker
Pro MemberpiMp sLaPpA'

Coco wrote:

spyker wrote:

Coco wrote:

This photo taken at the recent Taiwan bike show. Right off the velo news website.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 2f86a7.jpg

One manufacturer does not represent all of them.

$20 goes a long way here
never unarmed!
#VOGR
no fijindus

#100 2019-04-03 12:21am

rockinar
Pro Member
Bikes: 1

I peek at the Race Inc website on occasion to see whats new and notice the race frames always seem to be sold out. My guess is there's decent demand for them and Chris wants to grow and expand the business. That's hard to do when 100% of your manufacturing rests on one guy in a garage making one frame at a time. If Sal wakes up one morning and decides he does not want to make frames anymore, then what? Taiwan move is just to grow the business and work twords to the future. The future is not having one guy weld frames one at a time till his fingers fall off or he drops dead.

Board footer

View Cart →