You are not logged in.

I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...  RSS Feed

#1 2019-03-08 11:32am

HanoverFist
Pro Member
From: Nor-Cal
Registered: 2011-05-02
Posts: 88

I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...

So heres my delema... I love searching and finding these RARE BMX bikes, but sometimes I come across something I know is rare, but I cannot find ANY info on it regarding price. I cannot drive 2 hours one way and pay $200-$500 plus time and effort to break even. If I cant be sure I can make a resonable profit, I cant go get these super rare bikes to bring to you guys... Case in Point, I just found this Reust Tri-Pod... looks to be in NOS condition, but its not cheap. Its so Rare, I cannot find any sales in the last 5 years and theres only a handful of Reust in the Museum. Id love to ask “How much is this worth” but I dont want to violate any museuem policys. No we shouldnt be able to ask how much common bikes are worth, thats what sold screens are for, but when it comes to RARE bikes I think there should be a seperate forum or allowance in one of these categories. I want to go get theses killer bikes to offer here, but just cant unless Im sure... Plz Help! What can I do or Where can I go to get this kind of help...


Looking for Chrome Thruster Power Bars & OG Pad Set & to complete my Tri-Power.
Also searching for a nice set of Diamondback Pro bars!

Offline

 

#2 2019-03-08 12:02pm

DelMccoury
Pro MemberShrimp Counter
Registered: 2009-08-01
Posts: 3018

Re: I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...

if your doing this for profit then i would say this is your job and your risk


: : : NEEDED : : :: : : NEEDED : : :: : : NEEDED : : :: : : NEEDED : : :: : : NEEDED : : :
GREEN 85 SKYWAY STREET BEAT frame set. original paint and decals please.
: : : WANTED: : :: : : WANTED: : :: : : WANTED : : :: : : WANTED : : :: : : WANTED : : :
DynaMAX seats in RED, YELLOW AND BLUE

Offline

 

#3 2019-03-08 12:08pm

Oaktown Massive
Pro Member
From: 510 to 323, Cali
Registered: 2010-04-18
Posts: 2108
Bikes: 2
Website

Re: I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...

Yeah, I stopped caring at " If I cant be sure I can make a resonable profit"

....with reasonable misspelled.


1 9 7 7   R a c e   I n c.   R A - 7                                       1 9 7 9   R e d   L i n e   M X I I

Offline

 

#4 2019-03-08 12:17pm

BRICKOS2
Pro MemberTHIRSTY
From: SoCAL
Registered: 2013-07-14
Posts: 11317
Bikes: 23
For Sale: 19

Re: I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...

Thank you getting us the rare bikes...

Offline

 

#5 2019-03-08 12:18pm

SikestonBMX1992
Pro MemberLive Short Drink Hard
Registered: 2015-06-04
Posts: 142

Re: I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...

BRICKOS2 wrote:

Thank you getting us the rare bikes...

big_smile


Looking For September 1993 Bicycles Today Nbl Magazine

Offline

 

#6 2019-03-08 12:29pm

Claydoggsbikes
Pro Member
From: Canada Alberta
Registered: 2013-05-24
Posts: 374
Bikes: 16
For Sale: 1

Re: I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...

Post it high and keep going lower. A seperate forum for value causes issues. As people will argue what is even “rare” , and what it’s even “worth”.

Offline

 

#7 2019-03-08 12:31pm

Scraplord
Pro MemberTaste My Metal
From: Portland, OR
Registered: 2006-12-11
Posts: 13198
Bikes: 16
For Sale: 20
Website

Re: I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...

Oaktown Massive wrote:

Yeah, I stopped caring at " If I cant be sure I can make a resonable profit"

....with reasonable misspelled.

+1


Still searching for my missing bikes from BITD. 1979 Blue Max serial: CI9 221346 and 1977 Webco serial: 42667. Both were last seen at Spoke and Sport Bicycles in Spokane, WA around 1984. $600 reward if found!!

  "Have you ever noticed that other people`s stuff is shit and your shit is stuff?" - George Carlin

WANT TO BUY 26" COOK BROS 3 BAR CRUISER!!

Online

 

#8 2019-03-08 12:39pm

2009HDSG
Pro Member
From: Badger Nation
Registered: 2013-01-09
Posts: 1157
Bikes: 5
For Sale: 5

Re: I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...

Oaktown Massive wrote:

Yeah, I stopped caring at " If I cant be sure I can make a resonable profit"

....with reasonable misspelled.

+2


Will not deal with list:  ** CHABY ** 

https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic. … 09&p=1

Offline

 

#9 2019-03-08 12:40pm

DutchRipper
Pro Member
From: Amsterdam
Registered: 2016-09-10
Posts: 695
Bikes: 6

Re: I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...

http://cdn-webimages.wimages.net/0538a7743cffb7bc2c8c2920b592ce8c821b70-v5-wm.jpg


Bananas

Offline

 

#10 2019-03-08 12:42pm

Draw
Pro MemberRev on the Redline
From: Alabama
Registered: 2008-10-09
Posts: 9704
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 18

Re: I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...

HanoverFist wrote:

I want to go get theses killer bikes to offer here, but just cant unless Im sure... Plz Help!

first world problems. lol


Light, Strong, Cheap ... Pick two

Offline

 

#11 2019-03-08 12:49pm

HanoverFist
Pro Member
From: Nor-Cal
Registered: 2011-05-02
Posts: 88

Re: I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...

Yeah, Im not going to lie about who I am or what I do... Buying and selling and collecting is part of who I am and part of how I make a living... Who Im not is the guy who picks up a bike and completely dissasembles it and sells every part off individually... there is a time for that, like on frankenstiens. I try to put them back to original not to mention detail them before posting them which as you all know is a labor of love... But it would be kinda stupid to waste a day driving across the state to brake even let alone possibly lose $... I think most people try to sell for a resonable profit or why bother doing this in the first place. And if it wasnt for people like me, there would be a lot less bikes and parts to choose from... Without a resource to determine at least an approximate value, people like me will pass on going to get an NOS Reust tri pod frame and fork 2.5 hours away to be able to offer here cause we cant besure what a fair price is before making the investment. I had never even heard of a Ruest tri pod before finding and investigaiting this one. So freaking cool looking, but Its not cheap, not outrageous, but not cheap!


Looking for Chrome Thruster Power Bars & OG Pad Set & to complete my Tri-Power.
Also searching for a nice set of Diamondback Pro bars!

Offline

 

#12 2019-03-08 12:52pm

HanoverFist
Pro Member
From: Nor-Cal
Registered: 2011-05-02
Posts: 88

Re: I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...

Claydoggsbikes wrote:

Post it high and keep going lower. A seperate forum for value causes issues. As people will argue what is even “rare” , and what it’s even “worth”.

Thank you for at least a reasonable explanation... These guys are brutal. I just didnt want to start out being that guy who asks too much for things. You get bashed that way too.


Looking for Chrome Thruster Power Bars & OG Pad Set & to complete my Tri-Power.
Also searching for a nice set of Diamondback Pro bars!

Offline

 

#13 2019-03-08 1:08pm

Spintech
Pro MemberMinimalist hoarder
From: SFV, CA
Registered: 2011-07-26
Posts: 3371
Bikes: 4
For Sale: 3

Re: I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...

Buy it and ride it! Flipping is for losers

Last edited by Spintech (2019-03-08 4:11pm)


-Joe

Offline

 

#14 2019-03-08 1:15pm

CHAMPION-26
Pro Member
Registered: 2012-08-13
Posts: 4674

Re: I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...

Oaktown Massive wrote:

Yeah, I stopped caring at " If I cant be sure I can make a resonable profit"

....with reasonable misspelled.

Me too. I hate flippers:D


Needs - Tioga Comp Pool Tires
Tioga Comp Ramp Tires
Early Redline PL - 24 Forks
88 Skyway T/A 280 Forks
GT Coaster Brake Hub
24" Irc Racer - X Tire -  In Black
Nos Clear GT Grips

Offline

 

#15 2019-03-08 1:19pm

IPD
Post Restriction
From: Dangerous independent thinking
Registered: 2011-08-13
Posts: 10932
Bikes: 3
Website

Re: I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...

Tell me why I should care.  In 100 years there probably won't be any of these frames you refer to--no will anyone likely care.  All that people on here see is a guy curbstoning.  Ok, you admit you do this for profit, so it's not under false pretense--but still.  You need to flip a bike to make a profit.  And we already know where profit-mongers have lead in the past with BMX; Bullseye repops, etc.  There's a reason why Hutch is stupidly overpriced.  Why original-issue Graveyard handlebars cost 8x what they probably should.  And the list goes on and on.  I'm not pinning that blame on you--just saying that profiteering has led us down this path.

Well, the market is what you make of it.  This is BMX.  If it's an unknown brand and not much demand, who knows what the market will bear?  If you want to be able to "check comps" you need to flip cars or houses--BMX is not for you.

P.S.
"preserving" a piece of history is a fallacy.  Everything gets binned eventually.


It's like the man says, there's no problems...only solutions.

Offline

 

#16 2019-03-08 1:20pm

BRIAN HAYS
Pro MemberNOT Bubba Hayes
From: Mason City, IL
Registered: 2006-12-06
Posts: 9647
Bikes: 28
For Sale: 2

Re: I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...

I have an idea. Go get a realfucking job. I LOVE all the scumbag flippers here who wont go get a goddamn job and act like they are doing us a favor by making a bunch of money off of us. Ohhhhhh thank you so much for doing this. How would we collectors who truly DO give a shit about the HISTORY AND BIKES (instead of the almighty dollar) ever make without you, oh great one?


This is the dumbestfucking thread Ive EVER seen here..... oh and btw. I wouldnt give you ten cents for a RARE Ruest anything. Wouldnt have one crammed up my ass.

Last edited by BRIAN HAYS (2019-03-08 2:05pm)


Hey guys, go ahead and keep selling everything SE, GJS and Nomura to Thailand. Once it's gone it's NEVER coming back to the US. There really IS more to BMX collecting than money!!

If I hear the words "RARE", "GRAIL" or SCORE" one more time, I'm gonna f'n puke.

BMX Museum, where every single "score" thread is followed by a FOR SALE thread 15 minutes later.

Offline

 

#17 2019-03-08 1:24pm

IPD
Post Restriction
From: Dangerous independent thinking
Registered: 2011-08-13
Posts: 10932
Bikes: 3
Website

Re: I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...

Another thought, about the most you could do is request GAry sets up some kind of sub-forum specific to Finder's Fees.  That way you and others who find stuff and don't want to "Go out on a limb" can work.  Offers only sent privately by PM so no public "price guesstimates".  Not 100% on the details, but something like that MAY work.

Hell, I know I might give more franks about random bmx shit in my area if there was a potential to get a small reward for it.  As it is now, I'm not looking because I'm not interested.


It's like the man says, there's no problems...only solutions.

Offline

 

#18 2019-03-08 1:27pm

jriedmiller
ModeratorBuildoff Guru
From: Cincinnati, OH
Registered: 2013-03-29
Posts: 4287
Bikes: 21
For Sale: 1

Re: I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...

HanoverFist wrote:

Claydoggsbikes wrote:

Post it high and keep going lower. A seperate forum for value causes issues. As people will argue what is even “rare” , and what it’s even “worth”.

Thank you for at least a reasonable explanation... These guys are brutal. I just didnt want to start out being that guy who asks too much for things. You get bashed that way too.

True story, but "what's it worth" type posts are the best way to get off on the wrong foot.  I appreciate your honesty in that you are trying to make money, but wanting people to help you do that for free is a pretty big ask.  Use the pricing tools you have at your disposal and go from there.  Even if you don't have something to compare a rare bike against, you can usually price out the parts and see what meat is on the bone.  Bottom line, you're going to need to take some risks.  Some many blow up in your face, some may pan out.  If you're unwilling to take those risks, I would consider finding another venture to pursue.


Buying high and selling low for decades!

Offline

 

#19 2019-03-08 1:28pm

SikestonBMX1992
Pro MemberLive Short Drink Hard
Registered: 2015-06-04
Posts: 142

Re: I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...

BRIAN HAYS wrote:

I have an idea. Go get a realfucking job. I LOVE all the scumbag flippers here who wont go get a goddamn job and act like they are doing us a favor by making a bunch of money off of us. Ohhhhhh thank you so much for doing this. How would we collectors who truly DO give a shit about the HISTORY AND BIKES (instead of the almighty dollar) ever make without you, oh great one.


This is the dumbestfucking thread Ive EVER seen here..... oh and btw. I wouldnt give you ten cents for a RARE Ruest anything. Wouldnt have one crammed up my ass.

Truth


Looking For September 1993 Bicycles Today Nbl Magazine

Offline

 

#20 2019-03-08 1:34pm

Draw
Pro MemberRev on the Redline
From: Alabama
Registered: 2008-10-09
Posts: 9704
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 18

Re: I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...

HanoverFist wrote:

Yeah, Im not going to lie about who I am or what I do... Buying and selling and collecting is part of who I am and part of how I make a living... Who Im not is the guy who picks up a bike and completely dissasembles it and sells every part off individually... there is a time for that, like on frankenstiens. I try to put them back to original not to mention detail them before posting them which as you all know is a labor of love... But it would be kinda stupid to waste a day driving across the state to brake even let alone possibly lose $... I think most people try to sell for a resonable profit or why bother doing this in the first place. And if it wasnt for people like me, there would be a lot less bikes and parts to choose from... Without a resource to determine at least an approximate value, people like me will pass on going to get an NOS Reust tri pod frame and fork 2.5 hours away to be able to offer here cause we cant besure what a fair price is before making the investment. I had never even heard of a Ruest tri pod before finding and investigaiting this one. So freaking cool looking, but Its not cheap, not outrageous, but not cheap!

a decent profit is a little over what you are paying, you clearly are not doing this because you want to know value in order to weigh value over effort and return in order to maximize your return.

so if you are not willing to make the effort without already knowing if your compensation is going to be sufficient, why would you think anyone here would do the same thing for you without also being compensated?

Last edited by Draw (2019-03-08 1:37pm)


Light, Strong, Cheap ... Pick two

Offline

 

#21 2019-03-08 1:35pm

CHAMPION-26
Pro Member
Registered: 2012-08-13
Posts: 4674

Re: I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...

^^^^^^^^So True.
This is getting good...I'm getting some snacks.big_smile

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/99538/tenor-35c82e0039c.gif

Last edited by CHAMPION-26 (2019-03-08 1:43pm)


Needs - Tioga Comp Pool Tires
Tioga Comp Ramp Tires
Early Redline PL - 24 Forks
88 Skyway T/A 280 Forks
GT Coaster Brake Hub
24" Irc Racer - X Tire -  In Black
Nos Clear GT Grips

Offline

 

#22 2019-03-08 1:39pm

bad attitude
Pro Member
Registered: 2013-03-15
Posts: 1438

Re: I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...

If you don't know what its worth, then you have no business buying it-since you've never heard of it before.Leave it for someone who knows what it is and will appreciate it.

Offline

 

#23 2019-03-08 1:45pm

jray02r1
Pro Member
From: Eau Claire, WI
Registered: 2014-03-24
Posts: 2558
Bikes: 26
For Sale: 4

Re: I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...

Find something you know more about to make money from instead of BMX.  Asking others isn't how its done.

Offline

 

#24 2019-03-08 1:47pm

13thoni
Pro MemberNeeds BMX Intervention
From: Richmond, VA
Registered: 2007-04-15
Posts: 7091
Website

Re: I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...

Well ... how about spending a little more time on here to pay attention ! If you are using this site as a resource, do your own homework! It says you have been a member for almost 8 years and 78 posts, and this thread has 2 of them. Thats an average of less than 10 posts a year. I sometimes lurk(creep) in the backround and not post... but seriously?? You just want everyone here that has knowledge to chime in and give you all the answers like franking google!!! #EATADICKYOUJERKOFF
Jussayin
but who am i anywayhttp://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/5298/fredperry5c82e2da79.png


I like BMX

Offline

 

#25 2019-03-08 1:56pm

affordablepmc
Pro MemberCollector of Things
From: High Sierra Madre NM
Registered: 2014-09-02
Posts: 1770
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 12

Re: I Keep Finding RARE Bikes...

CHAMPION-26 wrote:

^^^^^^^^So True.
This is getting good...I'm getting some snacks.big_smile

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … e0039c.gif

lol


R.I.P. : "Stash84"    2-21-18                     
            "Treats"      5-05-18
            "Macha"      8-24-18

Offline

 

Board footer

View Cart →