You are not logged in.

Found a junker at the scrapyard, I managed to get it!  RSS Feed

#1 2019-03-05 3:02pm

Deimos666
Pro Member

Found a junker at the scrapyard, I managed to get it!

Just got this from the scrapyard, the worker that seen me roll it by the truck said "did you get that off your truck?" I was like no but it is too awesome to get scrapped, I told him I'd pay for it and if I wasn't allowed to get it, to at least please try to save it from getting crushed, could part it out and make a little money on it and very sad to see it get destroyed being in not too bad shape! He explained their policy and that I could not get it and they are not allowed to sell anything, he said they are a scrapyard, not a salvage yard, and I told him I know. He said he just couldn't let me take it, but as he was walking away said unload the scrap from your truck, slide that on, and don't say anything, nearly brought a tear to my eye, as he knew I really wanted it and that it was about to be destroyed. I hope the guy doesn't get in any trouble, as I know their policy and I told him I go here all the time (I've seen him many times, just never talked to him as they are busy, I don't chat unless someone comes up to me). I often have bikes on my truck that I intend to sell cheap but not scrap while I'm there, and only take them off to unload appliances / other scrap then put them back on, so I know they see me leave with bikes, they just come in with me and they were buried so I could not get them off before hand. I didn't lie to the guy though, I was honest with it all. The guy at the counter I talk to / see all the time and knows me just from my truck, didn't say anything to me about it, and I'm sure he would have had it been a big deal. Not like this weighs much, and I got weighed going out, so should be deducted from my payout. They also essentially ripped me off a couple times in the past when they got their prices from a new change wrong, and I got paid a fraction of what I was supposed to, they learned the new policy, but I still lost quite a bit of extra money when they got it wrong! So not like they lost any money on this.

Yeah maybe not the greatest bike, but I always wanted a Dyno freestyle like this, so to me it is awesome! Still has alloy kickstand on it, GT tires, and some reflectors, I don't think it was ridden much, looks basically original. I know many don't care for the cheap Dyno's, but I'm thrilled. I'm not sure the guy knows what it means to me to get this, but I suspect he does as in the end he turned an eye to me taking it; I think he could see in my face how much I wanted this.

A little rust, a dented rim, probably from being tossed in the pile, and still need to look it over later, havn't had a chance really yet.
The other bikes on the porch are generally the ones I drop off there as scrap, but I do have someone that buys nearly any bike from me for $2, so many are saved even though they are junk. Anyway, my first scrapyard score, and I didn't think I was going to be able to get it once the guy seen me move it...
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/221939/img_11135c7ef8a87b.jpg

#2 2019-03-05 3:08pm

moshnmore
Pro MemberMoney Pile $$$
Bikes: 4

Re: Found a junker at the scrapyard, I managed to get it!

Nice. Tires look to be in good condition. I had a compe like that. Great riding bike

Edit: the GT tires. Not the race slicks in the back.

Last edited by moshnmore (2019-03-05 3:09pm)

#3 2019-03-05 3:17pm

DIPSOMANIAC
AdminALCOHOL YA LATER!
Bikes: 6

Heck of a pick up

I'm letting the liquor do most of the thinking.....

***If you sell here take a minute to update your buyer!***
***If you buy here have some patience, this isn't Amazon, it's a hobby to most.***

#4 2019-03-05 3:18pm

crj1968
Pro MemberSlow Day 4 Me
Bikes: 18

That thing is nice.  I'd be really happy about that too. Chrome looks good eh?

-Desert Storm / Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 7019
-Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less. -C. S. Lewis

#5 2019-03-05 3:18pm

Deimos666
Pro Member

moshnmore wrote:

Nice. Tires look to be in good condition. I had a compe like that. Great riding bike

The tires in the back someone wanted (for rolling it / storage as the tires are junk), but did not fit his car, but yeah I knew what you meant. smile

I haven't even looked at the GT tires, yet, guessing they are cracking as I usually see with older tires, but still need to look it over, still had tread though.

#6 2019-03-05 3:20pm

Deimos666
Pro Member

DIPSOMANIAC wrote:

Heck of a pick up

I can't explain how excited I am, I love these Dyno's!!! I was sick when he wasn't going to let me get it, but I understood and I told him that, glad he changed his mind last second!

#7 2019-03-05 3:21pm

moshnmore
Pro MemberMoney Pile $$$

Deimos666 wrote:

moshnmore wrote:

The tires in the back someone wanted (for rolling it / storage as the tires are junk), but did not fit his car, but yeah I knew what you meant. smile

I haven't even looked at the GT tires, yet, guessing they are cracking as I usually see with older tires, but still need to look it over, still had tread though.

Not being gum walls, hopefully they're plyable. Every time I get a rider GT I sell the tires if they're decent and put on k55's

#8 2019-03-05 3:22pm

Deimos666
Pro Member

crj1968 wrote:

That thing is nice.  I'd be really happy about that too. Chrome looks good eh?

I still need to look it over, but noticed some rust at the seat / down tube area, but not all that bad. I still have not had a chance to sit down and look it over thoroughly yet, chrome is likely scratched a bit if I had to guess, but I'll see when I wipe it down.

#9 2019-03-05 3:24pm

kalel92198
Pro MemberUnleash The Beast
Bikes: 12

Hell yea bro! That’s a cool 150-175 on eBay! So if you ever get rid of it you know you will get at least that much for it. I love scrap scores like that! It’s bullcrap you scrap yard won’t let you buy stuff. You need to build a relationship with that guy that let you slide and tell him what you look out for. You do that and tell home you have money for every bike he gets you and I bet more will come your way. I do this to scrap yards that don’t sell.

Slap a tampon in it and call it a day!
ISO:85 mcs styler f/f
Nbd Kattsclawws67
Trades: back spin for front spin
Front steel pro class wheel for Gt fork

#10 2019-03-05 3:25pm

Deimos666
Pro Member

moshnmore wrote:

Deimos666 wrote:

moshnmore wrote:

Not being gum walls, hopefully they're plyable. Every time I get a rider GT I sell the tires if they're decent and put on k55's

Hopefully they are not too dried out, but yeah I have no desire to ride old tires, so I will put something newer on. The GT tires are sweet, but too old for me to actually use.

#11 2019-03-05 3:35pm

Deimos666
Pro Member

kalel92198 wrote:

Hell yea bro! That’s a cool 150-175 on eBay! So if you ever get rid of it you know you will get at least that much for it. I love scrap scores like that! It’s bullcrap you scrap yard won’t let you buy stuff. You need to build a relationship with that guy that let you slide and tell him what you look out for. You do that and tell home you have money for every bike he gets you and I bet more will come your way. I do this to scrap yards that don’t sell.

I told the guy the rough value of it and if he didn't let me get it, to please try his best to save it, as I would sure hate to know it got crushed, which he said unfortunately that is what was going to happen to it as he couldn't take it either. I wasn't trying to hide anything from him, I just didn't want it to get destroyed.

He told me this would be the only time he'd let one slide like that as he was walking away. I don't think he cares if I took anything, I think he was worried about losing his job since it is against policy. I would have gave them the $50 I got paid for my load for it, but they refuse to sell stuff!

There have been a couple guys that use to chat with me regularly, they'd come over while I was unloading, but the one guy quit as he didn't like one of the other workers, not sure about the other guy. The guy that quit was huge and use to call me "big dog" whenever he seen me, lol, I'm a little guy so it was hilarious. He was cool, I know he would have let me take something, but never seen anything while he was there.

There is a lot of nice stuff that gets trashed though, I don't usually see any name brand bikes, but I'm sure plenty end up there, lots of other nice stuff though. The yard could make a lot of extra cash selling stuff honestly!

#12 2019-03-05 3:39pm

bad attitude
Pro Member

you need to take care of that guy-and you'll be surprised how much stuff ends up leaving with you-He will probably start saving stuff for you.

#13 2019-03-05 3:40pm

ritchiecamaro
Pro MemberPredator Collector
Bikes: 83
For Sale: 2

Good save... smile

44t BMX Club, "Midway Chapter"... Favortie bike:1983 Schwinn Predator... Schwinn, SuperCross, Free Agent, Anlun, Mongoose and Redline PL24 fan, as long as it's not a Hutch, I'll ride it... Predator owners show your PREDATOR LOVE and post your Predators here: http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=741107
                      Predator count: 31        420 for LIFE!!!

#14 2019-03-05 3:40pm

moshnmore
Pro MemberMoney Pile $$$

bad attitude wrote:

you need to take care of that guy-and you'll be surprised how much stuff ends up leaving with you-He will probably start saving stuff for you.

+1 seen a lot of unreal scrap saves here. Buying the workers lunch goes a long way

#15 2019-03-05 5:23pm

Deimos666
Pro Member

Looks like the rear rim is toast, bent worse than I thought, doesn't spin even close to straight. Something must have been tossed on it, which also bent the rear brake as well as brake bolt, and elongated the brake bridge hole downward. I don't think this will be a big deal. Otherwise in decent shape, none of the nuts / bolts seem stuck, everything loosens / moves fine.

Tires are surprisingly soft, very light cracking can be seen if you bend them and looking for it, otherwise not too bad, but I will not ride on these, just too old for me. Grips are a little worn on the ends, and the left seems stretched out as it does not fit tight to the bars, but I'm sure I have some grips to slap on it.

I'm not big into restoration, so probably just set this bike up to ride with spare parts.

So with a wheel / tire swap, grips, brake work, / light cleanup, should be good to ride!

Looks like a 1998 model.
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/221939/img_11175c7f20bdf1.jpg

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/221939/img_11205c7f20c84c.jpg

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/221939/img_11215c7f20d1e2.jpg

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/221939/img_11225c7f20dcd0.jpg

#16 2019-03-05 5:33pm

Deimos666
Pro Member

bad attitude wrote:

As far as I can see, they are not even supposed to take stuff out of there, so I don't think it would be possible for someone to save anything unless they were really high up in the company. Most of the guys don't want to risk their job over some scrap metal. I wish I could do this and get to know the guys well, but even the guy I talk to at the counter all the time over the last couple years, would refuse it if I even begged him for something, trust me I tried to buy stuff before and he will not budge, policy says they are not licensed to sell or whatever! This was a fluke I actually got to leave with this bike. big_smile If I find something again, I'll probably have to try and sneak it on my truck, which I hate doing, but I've seen others do it before and not get noticed. Seems they see me looking at something every time, it never fails.

#17 2019-03-05 5:34pm

Deimos666
Pro Member

ritchiecamaro wrote:

Good save... smile

Thanks man, it wasn't ready to be scrap yet! cool

#18 2019-03-05 5:36pm

Cw_guy
Pro Member
Bikes: 8
For Sale: 62

The scrap yard by my place is covered in snow but when it melts I'll be looking for some bikes!!! That's a nice bike!!

Last edited by Cw_guy (2019-03-05 5:38pm)

50s and 60s cars and Bmx big_smile
Wtb General hustler pro sprocket white with red general name on it or any one you have thanks p.m
Tioga Air steps big_smile
On my NEXT SALE I'll be giving back to the BMXMUSEUM!!! big_smile I'll change this when its TIME!!! big_smile

#19 2019-03-05 5:37pm

petersjunk2010
Pro MemberLOVES THIS SITE

It's weird that some scrap places won't sell there junk lol I work at a local scrap recycling center hence my user name. I been there 20 years now found some cool bmx stuff over the years. Some of it has moved on to new homes via this site!! I try to save what I can if not for me just to pass it on to the next person. We generally sell stuff to people just mark it up a little is all

#20 2019-03-05 5:39pm

petersjunk2010
Pro MemberLOVES THIS SITE

Oh ya cool score man

#21 2019-03-05 5:41pm

Cw_guy
Pro Member

Deimos666 wrote:

bad attitude wrote:

As far as I can see, they are not even supposed to take stuff out of there, so I don't think it would be possible for someone to save anything unless they were really high up in the company. Most of the guys don't want to risk their job over some scrap metal. I wish I could do this and get to know the guys well, but even the guy I talk to at the counter all the time over the last couple years, would refuse it if I even begged him for something, trust me I tried to buy stuff before and he will not budge, policy says they are not licensed to sell or whatever! This was a fluke I actually got to leave with this bike. big_smile If I find something again, I'll probably have to try and sneak it on my truck, which I hate doing, but I've seen others do it before and not get noticed. Seems they see me looking at something every time, it never fails.

Bring scrap in take scrap out lol trade have you tryed that?

Wtb General hustler pro sprocket white with red general name on it or any one you have thanks p.m
On my NEXT SALE I'll be giving back to the BMXMUSEUM!!! big_smile I'll change this when its TIME!!! big_smile

#22 2019-03-05 5:43pm

Deimos666
Pro Member

Cw_guy wrote:

The scrap yard by my place is covered in snow but when it melts I'll be looking for some bikes!!!

Hopefully they let you actually get them! Is hit or miss with yards. And hope you find some stuff!

#23 2019-03-05 5:44pm

Deimos666
Pro Member

petersjunk2010 wrote:

It's weird that some scrap places won't sell there junk lol I work at a local scrap recycling center hence my user name. I been there 20 years now found some cool bmx stuff over the years. Some of it has moved on to new homes via this site!! I try to save what I can if not for me just to pass it on to the next person. We generally sell stuff to people just mark it up a little is all

Seems stupid they won't sell. Most people are willing to pay a good bit above scrap value for decent items. Glad to hear your place sells stuff and you save stuff that really should not be scrap metal yet. Just because someone takes something in for pennies per pound, doesn't mean it is junk, they just don't know what they have!

petersjunk2010 wrote:

Oh ya cool score man

Yeah I'm glad to save it, even if a cheap Dyno!

Last edited by Deimos666 (2019-03-05 5:54pm)

#24 2019-03-05 5:44pm

Cw_guy
Pro Member

Deimos666 wrote:

Cw_guy wrote:

The scrap yard by my place is covered in snow but when it melts I'll be looking for some bikes!!!

Hopefully they let you actually get them! Is hit or miss with yards. And hope you find some stuff!

Yeah I can get anything, just hope there's something cool

#25 2019-03-05 5:46pm

Deimos666
Pro Member

Cw_guy wrote:

Deimos666 wrote:

bad attitude wrote:

Bring scrap in take scrap out lol trade have you tryed that?

I would do that, but they are not interested in letting stuff leave the yard once it is back there. The items I took in were way heavier than this bike, I would have traded the load.

Board footer

View Cart →