Minx20
Pro Member
Bikes: 25
For Sale: 2

Re: Steve Caballero signature Haro?!

Minx20 wrote:

robk131313 wrote:

Gears = Non BMX to me anyways. tongue

Lots of geared bikes in the Bikes reference section here on the museum. Thought part of the submission requirement was the bike had to be considered BMX. Not the case??

the definition of BMX seems to vary alot.. is this a bmx?
https://bmxmuseum.com/image/img20161127 … 1eb_lg.jpg
No hard fast rules, is what I am trying to say..

GAry

Agreed - just cause got gears or some other non-bmx element, doesn't automatically exclude it from being BMX

#27 2019-01-16 9:48pm

Gearhead
Pro Member

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

Hamell wrote:

The first thing that comes to mind when I think Haro bikes is definitely Steve Caballero.

BMX company's collaborating with skaters is the new trend SE did it fist. so who want's to guess who GT will work with?

You got a citation for that? I'm pretty sure I sold a couple Norco/Skull Skates collab bikes a few years before SE started blowing up again. Not to mention the Haro Flight decks from the 80's. I almost forgot about those until Brewce at Skatopia showed me a couple in his collection a few years back.

#28 2019-01-17 3:58am

jriedmiller
ModeratorBuildoff Guru
Bikes: 21

JUGGARNAUT wrote:

Do as I say, not as I do... what a crock. Cab, WAS good, never great. HOSOI, HAWK and Mark Gonzales were Great and deserve this much more imo.

This is marketing, not a contest of who is the best skater.  I'm not sure there's anyone outside of Hawk that has a better name and legacy in the business than Cab does offhand.  He's a quality guy personally and a great ambassador for so many things professionally.  Not to mention, in his day, he was one hell of a skater.  Not saying he was as good as those 3, but I'd venture to say that only Hosoi may have had an edge on him when it came to style and grace.  Gonz and Hosoi are completely irrelevant today, and Hosoi in particular has nobody but himself to blame for that.  Cab is not only relevant and still skating but he's also active with MX and MTB personally so there is some validity to him having his own bike line in regards to that alone.  Another possibly lesser known fact is Cab started out racing BMX as a kid but because his legs are so short, he was having trouble keeping up which ultimately drove him to pursue skateboarding instead.

I'm not that crazy about the bikes themselves TBH but I think Cab was a most excellent choice as a BMX/Skate collaboration by Haro so kudos for that.

Buying high and selling low for decades!

#29 2019-01-17 4:17am

heyslugger
Pro MemberThe Loose Rooster
Bikes: 104
For Sale: 19

Steve stopped by my IG the other day and I’m still giddy. Get it Cab!

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/83453/beed4b8a-bfda-4e0e-a16b-1cf9e2de44475c407234ac.jpeg

#30 2019-01-17 4:21am

jriedmiller
ModeratorBuildoff Guru

heyslugger wrote:

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 234ac.jpeg

Awesome Dan!  I'd be super stoked by that as well! coolcool

#31 2019-01-17 5:16am

pwh4130
Pro Member
Bikes: 7
Website

BMX is a way of riding, not a type of bike.

This bike looks fun as hell to ride and I'd consider getting one.

Cab is a legend.

ride your bike until it breaks.

#32 2019-01-17 5:19am

Iaa4130
Pro Member
Bikes: 7
For Sale: 6

Whatever category of bike it falls into, it’s pretty awesome!!!

WANTED - Purple Anodized Mid-School Parts - Violet Oakley B1B Grips
Instagram - @iaa4130 #508chromies #4130beantownbmx

#33 2019-01-17 2:48pm

Ralph Wiggum
Pro Memberchillywilly263 1%er
Bikes: 15

I dig it.

I’m not a real doctor but I am a real worm

#34 2019-01-17 3:55pm

JUGGARNAUT
Pro MemberDILLIGAF
Bikes: 8
For Sale: 3

jriedmiller wrote:

JUGGARNAUT wrote:

Do as I say, not as I do... what a crock. Cab, WAS good, never great. HOSOI, HAWK and Mark Gonzales were Great and deserve this much more imo.

This is marketing, not a contest of who is the best skater.  I'm not sure there's anyone outside of Hawk that has a better name and legacy in the business than Cab does offhand.  He's a quality guy personally and a great ambassador for so many things professionally.  Not to mention, in his day, he was one hell of a skater.  Not saying he was as good as those 3, but I'd venture to say that only Hosoi may have had an edge on him when it came to style and grace.  Gonz and Hosoi are completely irrelevant today, and Hosoi in particular has nobody but himself to blame for that.  Cab is not only relevant and still skating but he's also active with MX and MTB personally so there is some validity to him having his own bike line in regards to that alone.  Another possibly lesser known fact is Cab started out racing BMX as a kid but because his legs are so short, he was having trouble keeping up which ultimately drove him to pursue skateboarding instead.

I'm not that crazy about the bikes themselves TBH but I think Cab was a most excellent choice as a BMX/Skate collaboration by Haro so kudos for that.

We all have our opinions, not one has more clout than the next... wink

Squashed!

#35 2019-01-17 4:01pm

perront
Pro MemberThe Red Dog of The Hills
Bikes: 20

heyslugger wrote:

Nice.  What's an IG?

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonRobinson
PowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksman!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#36 2019-01-17 4:47pm

jriedmiller
ModeratorBuildoff Guru

perront wrote:

heyslugger wrote:

Nice.  What's an IG?

instagram

#37 2019-01-17 4:48pm

jriedmiller
ModeratorBuildoff Guru

JUGGARNAUT wrote:

jriedmiller wrote:

JUGGARNAUT wrote:

Oh I know my opinion matters little, just ask my wife and she’ll confirm lol

#38 2019-01-17 6:37pm

JUGGARNAUT
Pro MemberDILLIGAF
For Sale: 3

jriedmiller wrote:

JUGGARNAUT wrote:

jriedmiller wrote:

Oh I know my opinion matters little, just ask my wife and she’ll confirm lol

Same here Man..lol

Squashed!

#39 2019-01-17 9:00pm

jay brand
Pro MemberHomeless Bikes Nut
Website

I find the collaboration part of this is shit. Might as well slap a Magic Johnson, Jordan or Terry Bradshaw edition stickers on some while they are at it. Where the Fiola football or the Mike D golf club set?
I would have preferred to see a retired BMXers name on that idea.
Yeah, I get it. It's all about money and wrenching every dime possible.
Cool bike over all, though I would strip the color/decals off it first thing.

The devil said "Scratch my back and I'll scratch your back for sure"

#40 2019-01-17 11:43pm

perront
Pro MemberThe Red Dog of The Hills
Bikes: 20

jriedmiller wrote:

perront wrote:

heyslugger wrote:

Nice.  What's an IG?

instagram

https://media.makeameme.org/created/ooooooh-Lord-Jeeesus.jpg

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonRobinson
PowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksman!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#41 2019-01-18 3:25am

jriedmiller
ModeratorBuildoff Guru

jay brand wrote:

I find the collaboration part of this is shit. Might as well slap a Magic Johnson, Jordan or Terry Bradshaw edition stickers on some while they are at it. Where the Fiola football or the Mike D golf club set?

As I mentioned previously, Cab used to ride BMX as a kid and is presently active with MX And MTB so this isn't as silly as you're making it out to be IMO.  Obviously, we all have our opinions and that's why forums are around in the first place to share them.  In the end, the bike isn't for me but I personally don't think the collaboration is all that out of line.

#42 2019-01-18 3:38am

astroidbeltwalker
Banned

robk131313 wrote:

Gears = Non BMX to me anyways. tongue

so call it a MTB

tha t thing looks like it glows in the dark

Last edited by astroidbeltwalker (2019-01-18 3:39am)

Current Position - errand boy -
Wtb Mongoose 9142994654

#43 2019-01-18 7:05am

D1976
Pro Member

Cab is a legend and by all reports, a great guy too.  This appears to be a strange marriage, but if look closely you'll find that a lot of skaters have love for BMX.  Depending on how things shook out, I could've easily ended up skating more than riding, they're both fun and they're both cool.

#44 2019-01-18 8:09am

socaldude
Pro MemberThe Hawaiian Hacker
Bikes: 36
Website

Not that my opinion matters to anyone but here it is anyway. 
1st - If USABMX allows bikes with gears, then how does that alone make this not BMX?
2nd - Christian Hosoi is still skating on a regular basis and in fact just did some demo's with Cab.
3rd - I thought the bike should have had a BMX-style fork set-up but this is what Steve wanted.

planetbicycle@yahoo.com

Would love to find my old Dirt Bike.  It was stolen in Pompano Beach, Florida in about 1996.  It's a '92 with the block graphics on a Green frame.  Pitchforks, Slam bars, GT (DK-style) stem and GT/Profile cranks.  Superlace hubs.  Would really love to put this back in my collection.

#45 2019-01-18 8:27am

jriedmiller
ModeratorBuildoff Guru

socaldude wrote:

Not that my opinion matters to anyone but here it is anyway. 
1st - If USABMX allows bikes with gears, then how does that alone make this not BMX?
2nd - Christian Hosoi is still skating on a regular basis and in fact just did some demo's with Cab.
3rd - I thought the bike should have had a BMX-style fork set-up but this is what Steve wanted.

All of our opinions are worthless lol

Yes Hosoi still skates, but he missed his chance to make a lifelong impact on the sport long ago.  Who outside of those that grew up in the 80s or study the history of the sport have a clue who he is?  It's really a shame too, he had more raw talent in his pinky toe (also IMHO) than Hawk has in his whole body and it was all squandered by drugs, etc.

#46 2019-01-18 9:03am

blammo585
Pro MemberDyno Lover!
Bikes: 2

jay brand wrote:

It always puzzled me why they put out "Tony Hawk" bikes. I guess his name was so big in "Extreme" sports that you could put it on anything. I don't think the same can be said for Caballero. But I don't mean that as a shot at him.

#47 2019-01-18 9:55am

jay brand
Website

Bingo! Hasoi was a God who let partying squander his possibilities on a board.

#48 2019-01-18 9:56am

jay brand
Website

blammo585 wrote:

jay brand wrote:

It always puzzled me why they put out "Tony Hawk" bikes. I guess his name was so big in "Extreme" sports that you could put it on anything. I don't think the same can be said for Caballero. But I don't mean that as a shot at him.

Even worse, it was a Dept store POS that they slapped his name on. Though putting his name on a legit bike would have been a mistake too.

#49 2019-01-18 10:29am

troynlori
Moderator"Pedal Peddler"
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 119

Hosoi found himself.   Much more valuable than making an impact on an industry if you ask me.   Didn’t you guys see the end of good will hunting?

Hutch Fun Facts: All main line Hutch's with digits only S/N (no letters or baseballs) on the rear drop outs were US made and had their dropouts stamped between late '83 and '86.  Obviously the frame manufacture would occur slightly after that, even if they just threw 'em in a bucket randomly.  There is an obvious date code in that the first 2 digits seem to be the month and the 3rd digit is pretty obviously the last digit of the year running from '83-'86.

#50 2019-01-18 11:02am

made2drag
Pro Member

I say....why not?

FINALLY a bigger wheeled bike that's not trying to be something it's not!

Haro getting back into MTB's and collaborating with a legend for some fresh idea's, is a great idea.

Looks like a tough cruiser with more gears and ready to take on some trails or cruise long rides or to work on.  I'd ride it.  And I especially like that it doesn't have suspension or a flat MTB bar.

Caballero was around when Bob Haro started Haro.  Caballero is a Kool Kat!

Increase the Peace

Board footer

View Cart →