You are not logged in.

Those of us that don't ride / can't ride but still love BMX .  RSS Feed

#26 2019-01-03 11:17am

cbrstar
Pro Member

Re: Those of us that don't ride / can't ride but still love BMX .

spyker wrote:

cbrstar wrote:

spyker wrote:

The posers who call out others are the rich kids from bitd.

Wrong as usual

You should learn not to take things so seriously.

Your right. If you look up I had already edited my post because I realised I read your post in the wrong tone. Sorry man

#27 2019-01-03 12:23pm

Shazambmx
Pro Member$$$
Bikes: 6
For Sale: 10

I rode 80's bikes and grew up in the 80's. I still ride my 80's bikes today. I also build bikes I don't plan on riding much with mint original finish and decals, NOS or super clean original finish parts. The first thing I see in the morning, right before I hit my bong, is my bikes. This makes me very happy and is how I like to start my day. yikes
big_smile

Mikey.... Good Gorilla.

#28 2019-01-03 12:25pm

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member“The Hammer”
Bikes: 79
For Sale: 3
Website

BRIAN HAYS wrote:

"You're not legit if you don't ride Bro" rollrollroll

I get SOOOOO tired of hearing and reading that bullshit. 99% of the time is some punk who has been fortunate enough to NEVER have a back injury. It's something NOONE who hasn't experienced it could EVER grasp. Back in January of 2003 I broke my back and herniated two discs in my lower back (L4L5) in a Quad (four wheeler) accident. Rode full throttle up a huge embankment and just where the front wheel would crest the top, there was a large chunk of concrete sticking out of the ground at a 45 degree angle. Quad stood straight up, flipped me off of it and the Quad landed on me three times rolling down the hill before we both landed with me face down and a 2003 Suzuki Z400 upside down on my back. My helmet and chest protector helped but they do not create any miracles. In Nov of 2008, I finally had the last back surgery. The pain in my pelvis, hips, lower back and right leg were so excruciating that I was literally contemplating suicide every minute of every day. Pain killers only do so much. It was very common to puke in the shower every morning from the pain. Surgery for me did unbelievable wonders BUT in 2012, I had a bad relapse. Instead of more surgery I opted for a very caring Chiropractor with a spinal decompression table. I cant say enough good stuff about spinal decompression therapy. It is amazing.

I live, eat, breathe, and sleep BMX 24/7 and have since I found it again in 2003 when I knew a bike would help strengthen my back (Walmart Schwinn mountain bike for $150 new) that got me back into riding and subsequently into collecting. Having said that, life happens and I ride less and less because of the pain it brings in my back, wrists and knees which then causes missed work, laying in bed and so on but I AM BMX and NOONE can take that from me or you. Haters gonna hate. F'em.

cool

Kurt doesn’t care right now

[img]http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/56126/9d4c6707-718c-4ec3-9aeb-aef1bc82caa95c467c81b65e1d4b4d05.jpg[/img]

#29 2019-01-03 1:51pm

ANTDOG
Pro MemberSite Advocate!
Bikes: 2

perront wrote:

ANTDOG wrote:

My brother Perront knows I ride as much as I can. But Artithis set in last year real bad, As of now I wear compression socks, and take joint pills. OP I feel for you not being able to ride is a bummer. But if I may offer some advice, go to your local track in OZ if you can and take up photography. The feel of getting that rad shot is just as good as crossing the finish line, I know from expierience

That’s a fantastic idea, Ant!  Not that I’ve ever done any more than snap photos with my iPhone, but I do know how rewarding composing then sharing photos with the community can be.  Doing this is one of my favorite parts of organizing the Crosstown Classic.  Memories are magic!

I have created a ton of memories, and this year  I am bringing the camera out of retirement

If I Will Throw An Elbow To My Best Friend  In A Turn,what Makes You Think I Wont Do It To You????????????

Former National 29 35-40x  -NBL
2010 2011 Regional #3  NBL

2019 district 174 USABMX

#30 2019-01-03 4:16pm

JUGGARNAUT
Pro MemberDILLIGAF
For Sale: 6

ChaseDyno-Bmx wrote:

I was Telling A Friend Earlier That I’ve Not Sleep Over 3 to 4 hours A Day For Over 20 Years

How you aren't Lethargic is beyond me Brother.. but we are the most adaptable species on Earth, so.. I sleep 6, work 10+ 6 days a week, other than Winter, I make time to ride, no matter who gets pissed .. other than an emergency.  The old " an object in motion stays in motion" holds true, but I pray for back pain sufferers..

***ALL of my bmx is for sale , Im done and out !!***

#31 2019-01-03 5:03pm

radovr
Pro MemberDamn dem mods

For me its my S1  Nerve damage as my leg got crushed between the motorcycle and car then pulled while going over the bars .. went through months of chiropractic and that help a lot . 90% of the time I'm pretty good,  it's that odd time I over do it and then I'll pay for it . Still have the injection of quarter zone  and that works a treat . Yesterday was a killer !  Have 3 more days off then back to work so hopefully  (crossed fingers)  will be okey
But it feels like its time for the usual mri and injection,  not had one for over a year now,  surprising how easy it is for it too still flare up . 
I've tried all types of bmx to ride from 20 to 29 inch ,  the most comfortable was an off the shelf 26 quad  ,  so may try one again later in the year just for riding . At the moment I'm still building bikes although at the same time I'm thinning the heard  lol  ,  right now im gathering parts for a 24  , so looking forward to that .  As stated in first post , still love this crazy world of bmx and most of all the memories that it gives .....
Cheers

#32 2019-01-03 5:36pm

blammo585
Pro MemberDyno Lover!

I don't have a problem with the reason why anyone is here. It's cool that people love BMX for different reasons. I feel for the people who have legit ailments that keeps them from being able to ride as hard as they want or to even just cruise around. But what I can't overlook are the perfectly fine 30 or 40-somethings who use the, "I'm too old," line. Heck, I've talked about BMX to guys at work in their 20s or 30s, granted they weren't riders or had any interest in starting, but they told me they couldn't do it because they were too old.

#33 2019-01-03 11:00pm

perront
Pro MemberThe Red Dog of The Hills
Bikes: 20

blammo585 wrote:

I don't have a problem with the reason why anyone is here. It's cool that people love BMX for different reasons. I feel for the people who have legit ailments that keeps them from being able to ride as hard as they want or to even just cruise around. But what I can't overlook are the perfectly fine 30 or 40-somethings who use the, "I'm too old," line. Heck, I've talked about BMX to guys at work in their 20s or 30s, granted they weren't riders or had any interest in starting, but they told me they couldn't do it because they were too old.

I agree.  No need to make excuses when the opportunity to tell the truth is always there.

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonRobinson
PowerlitePowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksman!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#34 2019-01-03 11:01pm

perront

ANTDOG wrote:

perront wrote:

ANTDOG wrote:

My brother Perront knows I ride as much as I can. But Artithis set in last year real bad, As of now I wear compression socks, and take joint pills. OP I feel for you not being able to ride is a bummer. But if I may offer some advice, go to your local track in OZ if you can and take up photography. The feel of getting that rad shot is just as good as crossing the finish line, I know from expierience

That’s a fantastic idea, Ant!  Not that I’ve ever done any more than snap photos with my iPhone, but I do know how rewarding composing then sharing photos with the community can be.  Doing this is one of my favorite parts of organizing the Crosstown Classic.  Memories are magic!

I have created a ton of memories, and this year  I am bringing the camera out of retirement

cool

Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Free AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonRobinson
PowerlitePowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksman!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#35 2019-01-04 3:46am

Shazambmx
Pro Member$$$

Anyone who thinks that they are too old to ride a bike in their 30's or 40's with no injuries is the kind of person I would not like to hang with. I have taken serious falls resulting in multiple surgeries. I have totaled 2 R1's. I have crashed every dirt bike, motorcycle or 4 wheeler I have ever ridden. If it can't kill you, your not having fun. F@ck playing it safe... Push it to the limit! Walk on the razors edge!!!!

Last edited by Shazambmx (2019-01-04 3:49am)

Mikey.... Good Gorilla.

#36 2019-01-04 7:58am

ricar
Pro Member
Bikes: 1

We can't all afford to take time off work because of injury. With my ACL I was off for months, thankfully at that time I had no kids. I separated my shoulder when I was 17 or so, and was lucky enough to get back to 98% so it doesn't bother me much but it was pretty much a year off. I did in my ankle a couple years ago which left me hobbling at work for a couple months but I didn't want to report it or take time off. For us, if you get hurt at work they will say you have a history and you did this at home. No workers comp. Still, I am lucky enough to have no had a BMX ending injury.

I know a couple of people who have had injuries that no physio will ever fix, no amount of exercise will help them get stronger. All they can do is try to maintain what they have not lost and even that can have bad days.

I remember Taj saying how the hardest thing for him was watching guys jump dirt after his injury. To just lose that in your prime I could only imagine, seeing other guys riding with no worries would be real hard.

I knew kids that just could not ride. One kid's parents had the money, he had a good bike and a great attitude but he did not have the ability. He wanted to keep up with us so bad, you could see it in his eyes. That must have killed him. He could play the piano, guitar, drums, not a single lesson in any of them. The sad thing was, he didn't care bout music he just wanted to be part of our BMX crowd. I respected that he tried, and he always had a cool attitude. In my mind he was no poseur.

I still have opportunities to ride, not much. My kids are in hockey and jujitsu, money is tight, time is tight... I fear the day I can't ride. Riding 1 day every two weeks will get me hurt. I need to ride several times a week to keep any sort of flow. At this point I have never kept my old bikes, just sell them to get new ones. I may not ever get a new BMX, but if tat is the case I will not sell the one I ride now.

We all have our stories, It's cool to read them.

Every time I get on my bike I win. Ms.BMX.

I don't have enough faith to believe in evolution.

#37 2019-01-04 10:59am

cbrstar
Pro Member

I think I might be a little jaded because I started a OS riding club. And it feels like I have to twist arms to the point of breaking to get people to come out and ride. The thing is after the ride you can see on their faces they had fun and they feel better but 2 weeks later I'm twisting their arms to come out again. roll

People like to pretend they are above this. But at somepoint in thier life they started to feel silly riding a small bike and felt concious that people were looking at them funny. They don't want to feel the pressure of having to prove themselves so they avoid BMX. That's why I started my club, when you got a group of guys together that pressue goes away and you can enjoy it more.

I really think people make up all sorts of excuses to avoid the social anxiety of BMX.

Last edited by cbrstar (2019-01-04 11:49am)

#38 2019-01-05 1:58am

Shazambmx
Pro Member$$$

Funny thing is life goes in that circle. We start out as kids pretty much care free, just wanting to play and have fun. Then a lot of people get to a certain age and feel like they are too old or above doing these "childish things". Not just bike riding but a lot of other things get dropped so some can feel like they are all grown up. The ones who feel this way are sticks in the mud.
Ever notice when people start to get older, high up in age, it's like they become those care free kids again. Why? Because they realize what is really important in life is having fun and living everyday to the fullest. Something a lot won't allow themselves to do once they hit a certain age trying to be grown ups. Never try to be anything but what you are and there will always be a smile on that face. BMX for life. Along with all the other kid sh!t I do at 41. Never grow up!!!!!!!!!

Mikey.... Good Gorilla.

#39 2019-01-05 5:06am

blammo585
Pro MemberDyno Lover!

My friend from work that I talked about in this thread, https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=757159,
has a different problem...his stepfather and mom. He's 19, and they won't let him ride, other than out in the yard. We've been riding together twice. First time, he had to come up with some elaborate lie about working over. The second time they did let him go to the park. But he's constantly told he will get hurt.

I took him with me to a festival that was going to have a BMX stunt show. His stepfather called him 3 times while we were on the way back-to-back about how he was abandoning his family to go somewhere.

Then in December I saw on Facebook where the BMX track was going to ride in a Christmas parade and anyone wanting to ride could come out. So we went to ride in the parade. He got phone calls on the way about going. Then when we got there and was in line waiting for the parade to start he got a text telling him to come home and he better be there by 10:30 am. It was already 10, and we were an hour from his house. I told him his stepdad was out of luck because I wasn't leaving.

I don't get it at all.

#40 2019-01-05 5:16am

perront

It’s so sad to see this type of parenting:
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/45011/fe451f4f-30f6-4168-83fb-c752437cc6145c30ae419f.png

FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!

#41 2019-01-05 5:33am

blammo585
Pro MemberDyno Lover!

perront wrote:

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … ae419f.png

It's worse than that. He's their source of income, and they use him. It's not his safety they're concerned with; it's his money.

#42 2019-01-05 8:45am

perront

blammo585 wrote:

perront wrote:

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … ae419f.png

It's worse than that. He's their source of income, and they use him. It's not his safety they're concerned with; it's his money.

Damn.  Lifetime channel (don’t laugh!) is about to premier a movie that covers a similar situation.  Just plain wrong.

FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!

#43 2019-02-05 6:46pm

dick butkas
Pro Member
For Sale: 4

frankin lupus set in at age 37 and I wake up at 3am every night feeling like my wrists were beaten with hammers. I still like to have the bike though

#44 2019-02-05 8:02pm

Spintech
Pro MemberMinimalist hoarder
Bikes: 4

Anyone who likes and supports BMX is family... rider or not!

-Joe

#45 2019-02-05 8:41pm

Pro Member

Hmm... blown meniscus in both knees from biking, Skateboarding and playing ice hockey by time I was 20. Broken more bones in both hands and feet than I can remember, martial arts since 5. Then found out by 25 I have degenerative disk disease. Started at my l3 and slowly made its way up into my neck and shoulders.Use to love going to events and riding hard like the good old days but its hit or miss. Funny how you can feel like a champ one day and flat on your back the next. Prefer to just build and ride with my 2 boys now, never know how long that will last.

It's yours. Do what you want with it smile Planting seeds is better then tearing up trees.

#46 2019-02-05 8:52pm

radovr
Pro MemberDamn dem mods

It's true , you never do know how long it's going to last , got up this morning and first thing i done was take 3 codeine at 30mg each , that was at 06:30 now its 12:50 and time to take a few more as my leg is kin killing . Rang the doc today , time for another mri and injection in the ole s1  hmm

#47 2019-02-05 9:01pm

Pro Member

I get the injections when I can't stand it anymore. Doc asked me if I wanted them oxys. I asked him if he'd take them first lol

It's yours. Do what you want with it smile Planting seeds is better then tearing up trees.

#48 2019-02-05 9:05pm

turdburd
Pro MemberOver The Wall
Bikes: 5

Spintech wrote:

Anyone who likes and supports BMX is family... rider or not!

My feelings are the same. If you enjoy BMX , that's good enough.

ABA Ca-13 1982-84  #926 #547 #123

#49 2019-02-05 9:08pm

radovr
Pro MemberDamn dem mods

1979 wrote:

I get the injections when I can't stand it anymore. Doc asked me if I wanted them oxys. I asked him if he'd take them first lol

I think i'm there today with the injection , walking it off just isn't working today... earliest docs appointment is bloody friday

#50 2019-02-05 10:11pm

Dirty Habits
Pro MemberLIFE AIN'T NOTHING BUT "BITCHES & $$$”
Bikes: 42
For Sale: 23

Thankfully I don't need pills to ride my girl or my bikes!! Still got plenty of that juice!!!  wink tongue big_smile cool

Last edited by Dirty Habits (2019-02-05 10:11pm)

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/26wxcdHG/picmonkey-collage-jpg1-zpshb1zawse595ac8a641-830x100595acd4bd3.jpg[/img]
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness............-Emo Philips

Board footer

View Cart →