#51 2019-03-27 10:53am

pwh4130
Pro Member
Bikes: 7
Website

Re: 2019 Hoffman Big Daddy Frame

uglykato wrote:

pwh4130 wrote:

I'm on a custom frame for flat now so I think I'm going to build that as an overall.  I'll build up the Big Daddy for flat.  Don't know what will be my main bike though.  I do love my custom as it's unaffiliated and my own interpretation.  I had a yellow Strowler because I loved the color but didn't like the frame much.  The new BD is much better.  The green is iconic but then I can't use my blue wheels or it'll look horrible.

I have the first gen repop low drags I'm currently using and they will probably be swapped over.  I have the Bone Deth bars that look like the Patriots so I don't plan on buying any soon.  Actually, the Patriots didn't last me that long in the mid 90's so I never got too attached to them.

Who did your custom frame?

John Corts.

ride your bike until it breaks.

#52 2019-03-27 11:30am

Spintech
Pro MemberMinimalist hoarder
Bikes: 4

19.75 is perfect!

-Joe

#53 2019-03-28 12:33pm

uglykato
Pro Member
Bikes: 3

What is everyone's plans for their build?  Use mid-school parts on the build or make it a new school Big Daddy?  I am trying to decide on mine right now.

If I owe you any feedback, please, let me know.

#54 2019-03-28 6:46pm

midschool22
Flatbiller

New and to ride it. big_smile

#55 2019-03-28 7:13pm

uglykato
Pro Member

midschool22 wrote:

New and to ride it. big_smile

Good plan.

#56 2019-03-28 7:59pm

pwh4130
Pro Member
Website

All modem parts. I want to ride it.

#57 2019-03-28 10:08pm

JHARJO
Pro Member
Bikes: 2

New for sure.

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"

#58 2019-03-31 3:09pm

uglykato
Pro Member

Put my deposit down years errands with Cheap goods BMX.

#59 2019-04-04 9:20am

uglykato
Pro Member

I heard from a source today chrome, black, and clear raw are possible color options.

#60 2019-04-04 9:22am

spyker
Pro MemberPimp In Training

uglykato wrote:

I heard from a source today chrome, black, and clear raw are possible color options.

Those that should already be a option.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!

#61 2019-04-04 9:29am

jriedmiller
Pro MemberBuildoff Guru
Bikes: 22

This frame makes no sense for my riding, but I would've been highly tempted to grab a yellow one nonetheless if that option was offered.  The chrome is a welcome option though as the matte black just seems meh for the first retro run of a legendary frame.  Hopefully they are going to give more options as well.

Buying high and selling low for decades!

#62 2019-04-04 9:35am

spyker

jriedmiller wrote:

This frame makes no sense for my riding, but I would've been highly tempted to grab a yellow one nonetheless if that option was offered.  The chrome is a welcome option though as the matte black just seems meh for the first retro run of a legendary frame.  Hopefully they are going to give more options as well.

Anything matte black is meh.Get the chrome model and have it powdered yellow.

Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here

#63 2019-04-04 9:37am

uglykato
Pro Member

I think raw sounds cool.

#64 2019-04-04 10:19am

jriedmiller
Pro MemberBuildoff Guru
Bikes: 22

spyker wrote:

jriedmiller wrote:

Anything matte black is meh.Get the chrome model and have it powdered yellow.

Wish I could, I've got too many other irons in the fire to take this on.  Looking forward to seeing what they do ultimately release and how they start getting built up.

Buying high and selling low for decades!

#65 2019-04-05 8:45am

TONKA
Pro Member
Bikes: 5

Most (I said most) actual flatlanders wont buy this. specs not really up to date with whats current. really cool for the retro dudes that want to scoot their street. great to see it re released but once the collectors have their fill I wont be surprised to see it shelved. hope that doesn't stop Hoffman from doing more repros as its great to see the classics reborn again

#66 2019-04-05 8:54am

pwh4130
Pro Member
Website

TONKA wrote:

Most (I said most) actual flatlanders wont buy this. specs not really up to date with whats current. really cool for the retro dudes that want to scoot their street. great to see it re released but once the collectors have their fill I wont be surprised to see it shelved. hope that doesn't stop Hoffman from doing more repros as its great to see the classics reborn again

I don't agree.  There are plenty of older flatland riders out there, maybe more than young.  A lot of older riders do older tricks and the BD geometry is better suited.  It's also what Kevin likes so there is that.  I don't think Hoffman will have any trouble selling as many as they make.  If they make 300 and sell 300, then it's a winner.  If they make 2000 and sell 300, it's a loser.  That's what matters in a business sense.

#67 2019-04-05 8:58am

spyker

TONKA wrote:

This frame was released for people who are OS riders,specifically flatlanders or people who always wanted a BD but could not acquire one....even if they don't ride flatland.

$20 goes a long way here

#68 2019-04-05 9:00am

TONKA
Pro Member

I agree with you. if they make 300 they will sell 300. if they make 2000 they will still only sell 300. its a limited market its aimed at and that market has already absorbed everything haro has thrown at it. it'll sell but just small numbers and it sure isn't breaking any new territory when it comes to specs. i was hoping to at least see it in 2 top tube sizes...

#69 2019-04-05 9:01am

TONKA
Pro Member

spyker wrote:

TONKA wrote:

This frame was released for people who are OS riders,specifically flatlanders or people who always wanted a BD but could not acquire one....even if they don't ride flatland.

yeah so its doesn't matter what the specs are then!

#70 2019-04-05 9:08am

uglykato
Pro Member

I never owned a BD, always wanted one but teenagers don’t always have the deepest pockets.  I was fortunate enough to own a Condor, being from Oklahoma you always wanted a HB.  As an adult, I can own almost any bike I want; why not get a modern BD?  I’m excited and I can get it powdered any color I want and put new decals on it.  Win win for me.

#71 2019-04-05 9:23am

spyker

TONKA wrote:

spyker wrote:

TONKA wrote:

Not really,but it is nice to know what you're getting.

$20 goes a long way here

#72 2019-04-05 9:24am

spyker

uglykato wrote:

I never owned a BD, always wanted one but teenagers don’t always have the deepest pockets.  I was fortunate enough to own a Condor, being from Oklahoma you always wanted a HB.  As an adult, I can own almost any bike I want; why not get a modern BD?  I’m excited and I can get it powdered any color I want and put new decals on it.  Win win for me.

This is the perfect example on why this frame got released!

$20 goes a long way here

#73 2019-04-05 9:25am

dan82
Pro Member

The frame specs sound perfect for guys that are around 6' I think some flatland riders are 5'8 and they think all bikes should be made to their size. And I can't ride a bike with chainstays shorter then 13.5 my feet hit the pegs and I have to be on my feet for 8hrs a day for work and putting my feet way forward on the pedals kills my feet and ankles. But I'm probably not going to buy one of these anyway even tho I would like to lol

Im more of a rider then a collector and im not too good at either one

#74 2019-04-05 9:27am

TONKA
Pro Member

spyker wrote:

TONKA wrote:

spyker wrote:

thats my point though. its just a limited retro frame for guys that dont really ride much. has its market and i'm glad to see it released but doesnt mean anything in the scheme of BMX

#75 2019-04-05 9:35am

spyker

TONKA wrote:

spyker wrote:

TONKA wrote:

thats my point though. its just a limited retro frame for guys that dont really ride much. has its market and i'm glad to see it released but doesnt mean anything in the scheme of BMX

Hoffman Bikes is one of the biggest and well known names in bmx,itis a big deal when they release anything retro.

Why do you care if you have no plans on buying one?

$20 goes a long way here

Board footer

View Cart →