You are not logged in.

First bikes that blew your mind?  RSS Feed

#76 2018-11-24 2:56pm

old_school_bmx_guy
Pro Memberyou spent how much?!
Bikes: 15
For Sale: 5

Re: First bikes that blew your mind?

I can remember being 10 in 1980 and seeing my first bmx mag. Real bmxs'!!! Up til then, growing up in small northern Canadian towns with no real bike shops, me and my friends were either: Joe kid on a stingray (or whatever knock off you got at the Bay, Eatons, etc), had the dirt bike replica with full suspension or later, a department/hardware store brand bmx. Seeing the mongeese, hutchs', redlines, PKs, etc blew me away. That's when I was hooked and the collection of bmx mags started (unfortunately tossed decades ago), if I couldn't see these bikes in person the mags were the next best thing. These are the 3 main bikes that I stared at in those mags over the years, that blew me away the most:
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/210776/20181124_1723395bf9d40e80.png
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/210776/screenshot_20181124-1719505bf9d4226d.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/210776/20181124_1715525bf9d43d4b.jpg

Today I own one of the three. The other two, maybe someday.

We're all gonna be three little Fonzies here and what's Fonzie like?
Come on Yolanda! What's Fonzie like?
Cool?
Correct-a-mundo! And that's what we're gonna be, cool.

#77 2018-11-24 3:16pm

crj1968
Pro MemberSlow Day 4 Me
Bikes: 19
For Sale: 6

Dang. $800 for a Pro Star back then.....  That's a lot of dish washing at $2.85 / HR !

#78 2018-11-24 3:27pm

ABA180
Meow
Bikes: 2

RacerX_76 wrote:

Well considering my first bike was a flea market Huffy I was impressed by anything, my older brother use to leave me his old BMX magazines and I saw some Haro’s and was hooked.

Then about 84’ or 85’ the Haro trick team came to Yesteryear Cyclery in New Bedford, Ma. and I saw a green Master and that was it...that hooked me, along with all the other Haro’s.

Sadly my next bike was a Schwinn Predator....but I got a repop Haro 30 years later.

I think I was at that show.  I know I saw the Hutch team in 85 at B+B in Bridgewater, might still have pics. 

Was your Predator a Freeform?

#79 2018-11-24 9:14pm

82's
Expert

crj1968 wrote:

82's wrote:

For me it was a blue DG with gold parts back in1978. David was our family friend 's grandson that owned it. That's when BMX changed everything.

https://bmxmuseum.com/image/2016-01-17- … blowup.jpg

Sweet DG. Those bikes changed the game for me. That color combo is classic.

#80 2018-11-24 9:21pm

radovr
Pro Member
Bikes: 6
For Sale: 1

First bike that blew my mind would have been Eddie's  'flying banana'  all yello !  How to turn an every day part like yellow tuffs into a cool bike cool

#81 2018-11-26 9:12am

ABA180
Meow

For me, gotta be the Bandito.  Guy at the track I raced at had one. 

Of course, Hutch Trick Star. 

CW Cali..big Dizz fan.

Anything Woody Itson rode.

#82 2018-11-26 9:26am

donkey02
Pro Member
Bikes: 12

Late 1979 , my friend and I were hanging by the local Judo dojo and a group of local bike mechanics were test riding 1979 Ke 1 Kuwaharas . first time I had seen a bike with ano parts and colored tires . my jaw dropped and I fell in love with bmx bikes at that moment . took me years to get the 79 model , which eventually was stolen from in front of my house. still love everything  about that era.

#83 2018-11-26 9:49am

made2drag
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

wadeaminute wrote:

wadeaminute wrote:

I have a half-memory of a kid a few years older than me - a rich kid - having a PK Ripper. I think white and blue, but not sure anymore.

The first solid and specific memory of a bike that was above all others to me was the candy apple red Hutch Trick Star with white signature Z-rims that Mike Buff rode on the BMX Action tour in 1984. I first saw this on the cover of BMXA in the fall of 1984.

Then the all-pink Trick Star Buff was on for the famous Johar ad.

Then the lavender with anodized purple and pink parts Trick Star that Woody rode in 85.

After that, nothing in particular until bashguard bikes (WAL, Bully, Haros). And nothing in particular since - eventually, function over fashion.

Components, on the other hand - there have been a few mind-blowers. The ACS Rotor, the Gyro, 48 spoke wheels, VG seat guts, the Avid Tri-Dangle, Pivotal seats and posts, MacNeil guard sprockets, micro-gearing, KHE tires, and most recently, the Profile Z-Coaster.

This is how much I sweated bashguard bikes - I had a Bully bashguard welded to my Mongoose Decade:
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 26c95d.jpg

Oh - one more bike - the JDB purple reign / lavender Trick Star kit that I found out about in December of 2016. That one almost made me spend a couple thousand dollars needlessly.

You still got time wink

Increase the Peace

#84 2018-11-26 10:07am

IPD
Pro Member"Whipping Boy"
Bikes: 3
Website

Nothing truly special.  It was an STA.  I'd never seen anything "mid-school" before.

Those who dislike Israel are in favor of Jewish and Kurdish Genocide.  It's that simple.

#85 2018-11-26 10:09am

made2drag
Pro Member

For me it was a bike a guy had (without a big long square cushioned seat like mine had).  I don't remember what it was but it was the only bike around that just had a seatpost and a regular bmx seat. 78 or 79 I think.

Then later while in Greece, all the Greeks had Blue Max's and I had to have one.  Chrome with blue tires was all the rage.  I saw them at the BX but my dad said they were too expensive.  Later, I accepted the Huffy Pro Thunder he got me and it let me bunny hop higher and it was fast.  LOL. 

All the white and blue/green/lavender/pink GT Performers in 84 and 85 had me in a trance after that.  The Pink Trickstar the base commander's son had and a purple CW California Freestyle a dude had made me want anything sweet enough to resemble what the guys rode in the beginning and ending of RAD.  Then anything with forkstands and framestands caught my eye.  Miami Hoppers and hop hops... infinity rolls, tailwhips and cherry pickers all day, every day.... I had to have bolt on's as the addiction to learning tricks got serious.  Friendly competition between friends to out due and out ride got serious too.  It made us progress.  Countless hours on the kickturn ramp doing everything imaginable til 10pm and riding like it was our last day....  smile

Increase the Peace

#86 2018-11-26 10:27am

zeteczx3
Pro Member

Man im a youngin! The first bike that really caught my eye was a ruby red mirra (most likely a 540 air) I remember seeing this kid who was a couple years older then I was at the time riding around town on one and falling in love with it. Such a nice color! Then I got the game for my ps1 and that bike was on the cover and still struck my fancy. Never did end up getting one but one of these days ill stumble onto one hopefully. lol for now I ride my new school tribute and im just as happy big_smile

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/195565/1cleanedmirrapro559c1940f1_blowup5bfc3ab67d.jpg

#87 2018-11-26 10:59am

efi4eye
Pro MemberHip Hop Head

There were several bikes really stand out for me

White '85 Schwinn Predator Free Form EX and black chrome '85 Predator Black Shadow.  The most popular LBS was a Schwinn dealer so tons of Predators were around.  One friend had the Free Form EX and the mags, white freestyle 1.75 tires Potts mod were so damn cool to me, I used to just stare at his bike when we rode.  The Black Shadow was another friend's bike and the amazing finish and bi-oval tubing made me so jealous with my plain flat black Predator Qualifier.

Green '85 or '86 Haro Master with white Peregrines.  I went to visit a friend and we rode over to hang out with some of his other friends.  These guys were from families with some money and one of the older kids had the Master.  I had only seen them in magazines up to that point, the nearest Haro dealer was about 30 min away.    Still a bike I vow to own someday, even though I have a Master already the itch won't go away until I have a green one with white Peregrines

chrome Hutch Pro Racer.  An older kid in my neighborhood had this bike. I laid eyes on it several times but he hardly ever rode from what I saw.  All my friends that were into bikes talked about it like it was some mythical icon. 

Schwinn Sting.  I was hanging out with a friend at an older kid's house in his neighborhood and starting talking about bikes.  He said "I got something in my attic to show you, I'll be right back" and left the room.  He came back in with a chrome Schwinn Sting with blue anodized parts.  My friend and I had nothing more to say lol

Last edited by efi4eye (2018-11-26 11:19am)

#88 2018-11-26 11:01am

LaughnJar
Pro MemberMuseum Lawyer

perront wrote:

LaughnJar wrote:

perront wrote:

Apologies — it was the ‘83 Schwinn Predator Cro Mo Free in red.  I think it was available with or without mags.  That bike was pure magic for me.

My last bike bitd.  That I got off a kid who barely rode it for the four months he owned it.  Made in Feb. 83.  My Bday month.  Swapped og wheels, pedals, seat post, clamp, headset and fork with black z rims x black sealed suzies,  black 1/2" DXs, Tioga layback, tange, chrome MX125 and ARX.

Amazed me when at age 40, I found it stashed in my parents climate controlled and dry basement.  I reclaimed it as compensation for my watching their house while they were on vacation...big_smile

Still have it too!cool

Peace

Nice.  It just so happens that there's a NICE spoked version at the co-op I'm partnered with, that I could take ownership of if I put in the right amount of work.  Problem is that I've followed the USA-made frame only rule for a long time now, and my black an white approach to the matter helps prevent me from spending money when I shouldn't.  I know; that bike would have special meaning for me, and rules are made to be broken.  Damn -- looks like I'm getting myself in trouble...

Funny you mention black and white/go or no delimited.  Because back then I was just trying to get myself something other than a Western Flyer from the Western Auto store that my grandfather owned!  Lol.  Though I wish I had the last of my rides from the store; an AMF??? BMX black ff, orangish decals and mags I got made fun of for their odd "honeycomb" webbing between the five main pillars...no one in my circle of bmx kids ever said a thing about Mongoose Lester mags which were exactly like those on my AMF!  LOL!

I'm now more selective too.  With some exception for parts I use on builds that I ride full out.

Which more to the point of op, my dream ff as a kid, and that I saw a real life, fully built and being ridden, was Hutch Pro Star.  The ff hung In my LBS's front window and I heard an angelic choir the first, and all subsequent times I saw that ff hanging in that window!  Not sure that the fully built one a socal transplant kid my age rolled in on at "The Trails" we locals populated was a Pro Star...I was in awe of the black and chrome loop tailed wonder sporting black letter decals spelling out HUTCH! 

And, while there are haters, those who may feel its passé and other types of detractors of HUTCH; objective historical analysis, along with being of that pinnacle moment in BMX history. I've never heard a cogent counter to the metaphor that Hutch was the Original Rock Star of bmx; specifically when considering the reality if Hutch's "stardom" and lifespan.

An experience which, were most OS bmxers of that time, being totally honest about it, surely blew more than just my mind bitd!

Peace

HUTCH please, neat or on the rocks;  black'n'chrome or chrome'n'black, pure and unadulterated...like savoring a 20 year old single malt Scotch.  If I wanted a candy color flavor, I'd have ordered a glass of Haro.

"Stop the car, I'm gettin' out.  I can't take it.  Hey look out there's somebody coming
And there's nothin' you can do about it!"

#89 2018-11-26 11:35am

made2drag
Pro Member

Oh, forgot to mention the Huffy Stu Thomsen bike in about 84 got my attention.  White/blk and chrome was eye catching.

Increase the Peace

#90 2018-11-26 11:50am

BRIAN HAYS
Pro Member“The Proper”
Bikes: 29
For Sale: 4

For me it was a looptail PK Ripper. I was 10 and went to a family reunion on my dad's side in Farmer City IL. My dad's cousin had identical twin boys that were a few years older than me. They had matching brand new white PK Rippers. I was floored when I saw them up close with the floval tubing and that badass "PK Ripper" on the down tube. Been hooked ever since.

Hey FLIPPERS, go ahead and keep selling everything SE, GJS and Nomura to Thailand. Once it's gone it's NEVER coming back to the US.

If I hear the words "RARE" or "GRAIL" one more time, I'm gonna f'n puke.

What does "near NOS" even mean???

#91 2018-11-26 12:30pm

lg1
Pro Member
Bikes: 12

funny...for me it was a huffy pro lightning. i went to a tiny school, k-12, and i remember this older kid had one and used to do endos and bunnyhop books and shit every morning...that bike looked like it was from the future to me. i was little. even still, when i see pics, it takes me right back there.
also, i still do the bounce drop test with any bike i put my hands on  big_smile

pants first, then shoes

#92 2018-11-26 1:35pm

TMS40
Pro Member

The first bmx that blew my mind was my first bmx, a Hanimex Spider, recieved around Xmas 1980. Low end n loved it as a 10 year old.

#93 2018-12-26 9:17am

mxfan69
Pro MemberCalm, Cool, and Collected
Bikes: 11

1st, was a Huffy Z2 ProThunder in the Sears and Robuck catalog in ‘81. That bright blue frame, yellow and gold parts, and a 2 speed, WOW, I had to have one. I showed dad, and while he was interested in making his son happy, he was more interested in buying a good bike. He tried his best to talk me into a awesome black and chrome Mongoose from a semi-local bike shop. But nooooo, I HAD TO HAVE the blue beauty Huffy, aahahahah, what a dope I was.

2nd, was a ‘82 PK Ripper in gold epoxy with gold fork, gold parts, and SE camo pads. My God that bike just floored me. It was something like 600 bucks as built, and might as well been a million dollars to me and my buddy that were drooling over it. It was in a bike shop in Terra Haute IN, in about ‘83 or so. Man that thing was so awesome.

mmmm........loop tails.......

...and that's all I have to say about that...

Board footer

View Cart →