You are not logged in.

Bikeflights  RSS Feed

#1 2018-09-26 12:57pm

dooleymike
Pro Member
Bikes: 22

Bikeflights

So I printed a $195 label to ship a bike to Australia.

Bikeflights: Says, in 10 min or less you will get your labels.
( I didn't know you had to 3rd party print them, shoddy, information not supplied on the website and only received when the confirmation email came stating they took my $195.00)

Fact: You will wait 7-10 days for your labels, they also in the fine print state that they "Could" charge you additional fees to process customs etc.
They submit your info to international customs, and wait for them to come back, then the customs "fees" start coming up
They want the value and may ask for proof of value also.
(Good luck on that on a 1983 BMX Whatever)
I was told fees could range from $10 to $400.
Verbal info Per: Amelia Kirby, when I cancelled my order.

All of this basically goes through Fedex as far as I could gather through our conversation.

She sounded rather young, used "Um" and "Like" many times during our conversation.

I did receive a order cancellation email quickly, after talking to her on the phone, which is near impossible to contact a human and not a canned automated service..I went through almost every automated "Push 3" prompt until it actaully rang and a person answered.

Customer service on the "Live chat" is not live, I immediately received an email stating that they would answer my questions within 24 hours.
So I use regular email, again same instant message that states they will contact you within 24 hours.

This is who I finally dealt with over the phone.

Amelia Kirby
Customer Service Representative
The BikeFlights.com Support Team
Customer Support Hours
Monday-Friday 9AM-9PM EST
Saturday-Sunday 12PM-3PM EST

The number is local to Oregon, so keep that in mind when on hold waiting for Amelia to come to the phone, for say 13min.

Amelia was friendly over the phone, and quick to state that international shipping wasn't their best business at this time, and is "Very Difficult" most times.

Also states this: Your refund will be processed within 5 business days and it will be returned to the payment method used to book your order.
I will update when/if my refund comes without having to get paypal involved.

I paid though paypal, which may be the saving grace in getting my refund.

Bikeflights international Shipping rating in my opinion: an F-

Just avoid them for international shipping..

Last edited by dooleymike (2018-09-26 2:52pm)

#2 2018-09-26 1:07pm

Scraplord
Pro MemberTaste My Metal
Bikes: 16
For Sale: 24
Website

Re: Bikeflights

There are tons of threads about this. They are not the way to go for overseas shipping.

Still searching for my missing bikes from BITD. 1979 Blue Max serial: CI9 221346 and 1977 Webco serial: 42667. Both were last seen at Spoke and Sport Bicycles in Spokane, WA around 1984. $600 reward if found!!

"Have you ever noticed that other people`s stuff is shit and your shit is stuff?" - George Carlin

WANT TO BUY 26" COOK BROS 3 BAR CRUISER!!

#3 2018-09-26 1:16pm

dooleymike
Pro Member

You are absolutely correct.
                                            I should have researched more prior to trying the service.

Last edited by dooleymike (2018-09-26 2:53pm)

#4 2018-09-26 1:50pm

dooleymike
Pro Member

Last edited by dooleymike (2018-09-26 2:31pm)

#5 2018-09-29 6:45am

joeyp
Pro Member
Bikes: 3
For Sale: 1

I think an issue is where do you turn for international shipping?    I had the following experience shipping a bike from the USA to UK.  Box 48 x 29 x 8 which was a small road box sized bike box that I fit a 20” bmx bike into.  Rear whelel slammed forward in drops, front wheel off, stem left on but bars removed and zip tied to frame.  Weight 38lbs

1. Unless you can get the bike into a small enough box you will not be able to ship USPS due to size restrictions.

2. I went to  UPS store and they quoted me $736

3.  I went to FedEx and they quoted me $1000

I was ready to refund the buyer but decided to check out bikefligjts. 

I paid $179.  I did have to provide an invoice that showed what I sold the bike for.  They wanted the buyer to pay custom fees up front but he did not want to.  He emailed them a release stating he would pay custom fees directly. 

It did take them almost a week to generate the shipping label and I had to call them a couple of times to get it done.   Ultimately I got an email with the paperwork and printed off three copies.  I took it back to the FedEx location where they had quoted me over 1000 and they took the bike with the bikeflight paperwork.

The buyer received it 3 days later and for whatever reason he did not have to pay the custom fees which would have been over $200.

Dealing with Bikeflights was not perfect but it saved my deal.   My lessons learned are  if you are going to ship international know what size box you get the bike into before you agree to ship it.  Also let the buyer know it could take up to a week to ship.  The guy I sold to was very patient. 

I had also shipped a bike to Alberta Canada and it was in a bigger box that weighed more and I shipped it from NJ to Alberta through UPS for $159.   

I will ship international in the future but will know what I am getting into.

#6 2018-09-29 6:59am

rcsnipe2000
Pro Member
For Sale: 1215
Website

shipping over seas isnt that bad.

austrailia has the strickest guide lines. if your sending a bike, it has to be in 2 boxes, or it wont make the cut. wheels in 1 bike in the other. it will hit ya roughly 160-200 ish, depending on the wieght.

and knowing that, its best to ship any bike like that over seas. the smaller boxes actually make for cheaper shipping.

this is all through usps.

even if bike flights is a bit cheaper.... ya still have to wait for the lable and all that stuff....most time the stuff could have already been there by the time you can even try to ship it.

i did recently have one where ya had to get the claim and all set up with a link to the sales thread to verify the amount of value before they would let ya even ship it. i think it was indonedia or some wierd place i had never shipped to before. but even that went fairly smooth. buyer had to help me through it. but all went perfect.

rc

I sell used parts! If you are looking for nos or dead mint parts, dont buy from me. If you are looking for used, usable parts. Im the guy ya want to buy from.

WILL TRADE FOR

snafu mobus or simular gyro , gold, red,or blue, sealed threadless headset gold, red, anno chain tensioners red, gold, or blue, anno v brakes gold or red, anno u brakes blue,gold, or red anno colored spoke nipples gold, red, or blue

#7 2018-09-29 5:13pm

dooleymike
Pro Member

rcsnipe2000 wrote:

shipping over seas isnt that bad.

austrailia has the strickest guide lines. if your sending a bike, it has to be in 2 boxes, or it wont make the cut. wheels in 1 bike in the other. it will hit ya roughly 160-200 ish, depending on the wieght.

and knowing that, its best to ship any bike like that over seas. the smaller boxes actually make for cheaper shipping.

this is all through usps.

even if bike flights is a bit cheaper.... ya still have to wait for the lable and all that stuff....most time the stuff could have already been there by the time you can even try to ship it.

i did recently have one where ya had to get the claim and all set up with a link to the sales thread to verify the amount of value before they would let ya even ship it. i think it was indonedia or some wierd place i had never shipped to before. but even that went fairly smooth. buyer had to help me through it. but all went perfect.

rc

As far as shipping overseas, it's not that bad.
In smaller boxes.
I ship vintage toys all over the world, never the hassle I have shipping bikes.
It's a size thing.

And for me it's just not worth the trouble.

#8 2018-10-02 5:41pm

Raceready68
Pro Member
For Sale: 3

I see I am not the only one having issues with bike flights.  I have had first had paperwork sent in for some wheels on sept 6 no labels yet.  They have given the selling almost no contact and zero time lines.  Second issue is with a bike I bought same situation I think the last time he got contact was on the 15th.  He has left many voicemails and emails no replies no time lines. I have no idea how this place is considered a business.  It is really frustrating for both parties.   Should be a very simple US to Canada shipment not like its going some where far.  At this point I am about to have everything shipped fed ex or ups.

#9 2018-11-18 7:40am

Violentassult
Centurion Member
Bikes: 8

I always just ship through Canada Post or USPS. It's always cheaper.

#10 2018-11-18 8:08am

eric12
Pro MemberNI4NI

Violentassult wrote:

I always just ship through Canada Post or USPS. It's always cheaper.

yikes It just depends on what you are shipping. BF is way cheaper on bigger stuff if you stay within the US.

I still don't get how the USPS, FedEx and UPS come up with their shipping costs. I shipped something USPS and the cost was like $37 for the 3-5 day. I re-figured the estimate for the 2-9 day and it was $9. A $28 dollar difference, WTF? I had to do the 2-9 day deal. If it would have been like $18 for the 3-5 I would have done that.

Being an adult is the dumbest thing I've ever done.

A Redline, the fastest way between two points.

Give A Shift! Save the manual.

Did you turn it off and then turn it back on?

#11 2019-01-14 6:03pm

BritUS
Pro Member
Bikes: 2

I just used Bikeflights tonight and it couldnt have been easier! Granted it was within the US but from opening an account, putting in box dimensions, paying and receiving labels took 10 minutes..if that. Super easy.

I know they use Fed-Ex ground to ship but they (Bikeflights) were still cheaper by a few $.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them.

#12 2019-01-14 6:40pm

troynlori
Moderator"Pedal Peddler"
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 106

Now try shipbikes.  Will save you another $10 and another 10 minutes.

Hutch Fun Facts: All main line Hutch's with digits only S/N (no letters or baseballs) on the rear drop outs were US made and had their dropouts stamped between late '83 and '86.  Obviously the frame manufacture would occur slightly after that, even if they just threw 'em in a bucket randomly.  There is an obvious date code in that the first 2 digits seem to be the month and the 3rd digit is pretty obviously the last digit of the year running from '83-'86.

#13 2019-01-14 6:47pm

BritUS
Pro Member
Bikes: 2

troynlori wrote:

Now try shipbikes.  Will save you another $10 and another 10 minutes.

Cheaper by $1.68 lol

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them.

Board footer

View Cart →