#176 2018-09-25 1:31pm

WalkerInTN
Pro MemberWho Dat Nation
Bikes: 23

Re: Hurricane Florence

CanyonCrusher wrote:

WalkerInTN wrote:

WalkerInTN wrote:

From seeing the Budget Inn sign, I know exactly where that is.  That's crazy looking!  Glad to see they have 501 open though.  Looking at the county website (horrycounty.org) I see they're up to 149 road closures listed now.  They were at 118 this time yesterday.  Been watching some youtube videos of the flooding, brings back bad memories from Hugo.

Stay safe!

Up to 190 road closures shown this morning and I think there's actually more than that.  The road that comes off 701 south to my old neighborhood is now closed, but the road I lived on shows still open.  Road I lived on is right along the Waccamaw river & is a good 10 feet lower than the closed road.

Yeah, pretty soon we’re all gonna need boats. Downtown Conway is flooding and the west bound side of 501 is shut down, the water is slowly creeping onto the roadway. Since you’re obviously familiar with this area.. you know those houses right on the river side of waccamaw as you cross over the bridge on 501. Well those homes are half submerged now and the river still hasn’t peaked. Business 501 is next to be shut down, the pillars on the bridge are showing large stress cracks from all the traffic. Military vehicles and 18 wheelers usually don’t take that way and it’s damaging the bridge.

Was watching some youtube drone videos posted yesterday that were showing the flooding along the river by 501 that you mentioned.  Flooding was out of the neighborhood & within feet of 501 highway.  Have passed those homes hundreds of times from the river when I lived there.  Looking really bad out there & it just keeps getting worse.  The road I lived along is finally listed on the county website, which is now up to 246 listed closures.  The 501 business bridge sounds bad, hopefully they quit overloading it before it fails.

After over 5 years here, I finally have some bikes listed!

#177 2018-09-27 5:02pm

CanyonCrusher
Pro MemberThe Tailpipe Shocker
Bikes: 3

Update: water has peaked and will begin to reside soon. Clean up efforts are starting and here is a pic of 501 at lake Busbee.

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/240323/ac8f73c5-7cb6-4706-9763-f8b53f5d18a25bad6f8369.jpeg
The flood wall was a huge success!

“It was more than just a hug Hawkeye, she hugged the stuffing out of me!!” -Willam Christopher/Father Mulcahy

“Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of happy hour.” -Alan Alda/Hawkeye Pierce

“As usual, I'm writing slowly because I know you can't read fast.” -Gary Burghoff/Radar O’Reilly

#178 2018-09-27 5:45pm

spyker
Pro MemberPimp In Training

And you not once attempt to loot the Snap On tool truck?

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!

#179 2018-09-27 5:54pm

CanyonCrusher

spyker wrote:

I think corporate told them to stay off the roads otherwise you better believe I would try for the 5 finger discount on their trucks lol

“It was more than just a hug Hawkeye, she hugged the stuffing out of me!!” -Willam Christopher/Father Mulcahy

“As usual, I'm writing slowly because I know you can't read fast.” -Gary Burghoff/Radar O’Reilly

#180 2018-09-27 6:01pm

seve

Canyon, I hope all is well for you and friends. This is going on too long with flood water. I am wishing the best for all.

#181 2018-09-27 6:08pm

CanyonCrusher

seve wrote:

Canyon, I hope all is well for you and friends. This is going on too long with flood water. I am wishing the best for all.

Thanks Seve, luckily my house is high enough to be out of danger but so many have been displaced from the floods. I plan on going to help several friends with the clean up efforts next week and hopefully salvage whatever we can so they can soon get back to their normal lives.

#182 2018-09-27 6:18pm

spyker
Pro MemberPimp In Training

CanyonCrusher wrote:

spyker wrote:

I think corporate told them to stay off the roads otherwise you better believe I would try for the 5 finger discount on their trucks lol

Try? It would be accomplished if it were me.Can you imagine having a free for all inside a Snap On tool truck!

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!

#183 2018-09-27 6:38pm

CanyonCrusher

spyker wrote:

CanyonCrusher wrote:

spyker wrote:

Try? It would be accomplished if it were me.Can you imagine having a free for all inside a Snap On tool truck!

First I would leave a smelly gift on the dash, then back my truck up to the door and begin the transfer of everything into the bed of the truck. lol

#184 2018-09-28 5:13pm

WalkerInTN
Pro MemberWho Dat Nation

CanyonCrusher wrote:

Update: water has peaked and will begin to reside soon. Clean up efforts are starting and here is a pic of 501 at lake Busbee.

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … f8369.jpeg
The flood wall was a huge success!

Of course the aerial perspective is different then what we could see back in the day but I don't think the flooding was that bad after Hugo & looks worse than I've ever seen it.  I've also seen videos of areas flooded that I've not ever seen flooded before.  County website still shows 256 roads closed, slightly down from a high of 267 from yesterday.  Hopefully the water goes back down quickly & things can start to get back to normal soon.

Stay safe.

#185 2018-10-01 12:22pm

CanyonCrusher

Update: I don’t know if the dog park was there at the 701 to 501 on ramp when you were living here WalkerInTN but that was put under about 3-4 feet of water from the floods. A helicopter flew over and saw this...
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/240323/2c37899e-590c-4568-a0d6-ce934906bdbe5bb273f641.jpeg

#186 2018-10-01 2:47pm

WalkerInTN
Pro MemberWho Dat Nation

CanyonCrusher wrote:

Update: I don’t know if the dog park was there at the 701 to 501 on ramp when you were living here WalkerInTN but that was put under about 3-4 feet of water from the floods. A helicopter flew over and saw this...
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 3f641.jpeg

Definitely not, I don't think dog parks even existed when I lived there (83-89).  There wasn't even a park there, just another dirt road I used as a shortcut to bypass the school zone for South Conway Elementary every now & then headed to the beach.

Not really surprised about the gator though.  There were hundreds of them living in various areas along the Waccamaw river when I lived there & I'm sure there still are.  All the high water has allowed them to venture into different areas in their quest for food.

#187 2018-10-01 2:47pm

oldnky
Pro MemberMuseum News Anchorman

That looks like a big mfer gator.

Last edited by oldnky (2018-10-01 2:48pm)

#188 2018-10-01 2:56pm

CanyonCrusher

WalkerInTN wrote:

CanyonCrusher wrote:

Definitely not, I don't think dog parks even existed when I lived there (83-89).  There wasn't even a park there, just another dirt road I used as a shortcut to bypass the school zone for South Conway Elementary every now & then headed to the beach.

Not really surprised about the gator though.  There were hundreds of them living in various areas along the Waccamaw river when I lived there & I'm sure there still are.  All the high water has allowed them to venture into different areas in their quest for food.

Yeah, the dirt road your talking about is still there. But now there’s a dog park right off the road before you get on that on ramp next to 501. Definitely a big looking gator, probably a 10-12ft-er. My neighbor hates his little yelpie dog and I was joking with him telling him to take it down there for a walk lol

#189 2018-10-02 4:24pm

WalkerInTN
Pro MemberWho Dat Nation

CanyonCrusher wrote:

WalkerInTN wrote:

CanyonCrusher wrote:

Yeah, the dirt road your talking about is still there. But now there’s a dog park right off the road before you get on that on ramp next to 501. Definitely a big looking gator, probably a 10-12ft-er. My neighbor hates his little yelpie dog and I was joking with him telling him to take it down there for a walk lol

There are a few people I went to high school with that I'm sure still live there I wouldn't mind like taking down there as well. hmm

I see that some roads are reopening here & there, but still many are closed.  From what I've seen & read, this has been the highest flood levels on record for the area.

Board footer

View Cart →