You are not logged in.

2019 Haro Master  RSS Feed

#26 2018-09-12 2:11am

sport123
Pro Member

Re: 2019 Haro Master

Will defo be in line for 1 of these! Can’t wait to see the pics!!big_smile

Last edited by sport123 (2018-09-12 2:11am)

SCORES! I love seeing people’s scores! Keep on posting guys

#27 2018-09-12 3:47am

ebenk
Pro Member
Bikes: 5

Sorry, chrome welded rims.

#28 2018-09-12 4:42am

AJ Macaroo
Pro MemberDiablo Sandwich & Dr. Pepper

Spintech wrote:

Good info, thanks. Lots of nice retros coming out these days! I'm patiently waiting for the 2021-22 Ground Master remakes.

Info on this? Where did you hear about it? That's music to my ears even if it's  a long time away.

Retired

#29 2018-09-12 6:02am

made2drag
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

AJ Macaroo wrote:

Spintech wrote:

Good info, thanks. Lots of nice retros coming out these days! I'm patiently waiting for the 2021-22 Ground Master remakes.

Info on this? Where did you hear about it? That's music to my ears even if it's  a long time away.

It's been said a few times that John has intentions of doing retro's for years to come.  91-92 retro's in 2021-22

I'm not sure how a 91-92 Ground Master retro would look different from a 2017-18 Master, other than decals, but John will pull it off with flying colors.

Increase the Peace

#30 2018-09-12 6:03am

Hot Shot
Pro Member
Bikes: 11
Website

(Image deleted)

ARE YOU HOT ?

#31 2018-09-12 6:04am

Hot Shot
Pro Member
Bikes: 11
Website

Looking at the pic above, seems to me like the chainstays appear to be horizontal starting from the dropouts before going up to join the downtube ?! The bashguard tubes/shape look more squarish like the '90 style Master & the rear sprocket looks huge ! So does this bike only take 44:16 gear ratio ?

Last edited by Hot Shot (2018-09-12 6:09am)

ARE YOU HOT ?

#32 2018-09-12 6:08am

made2drag
Pro Member

I think the black and chrome one will come with black and chrome bars...other 2 will have all chrome bars.  The black ones are going to sell like crazy.  We should see 89 fork drops too.

Increase the Peace

#33 2018-09-12 6:12am

made2drag
Pro Member

Hot Shot wrote:

Looking at the pic above, seem to me like the chainstays appear to be horizontal starting from the dropouts before going up to join the downtube ?! The bashguard tubes/shape look more squarish like the '90 style Master & the rear sprocket looks huge ! So does this bike only works with 44:16 gear ratio ?

It will have a round bashguard.  The chainstays may drop some then shoot up towards the ht to put the bash cage in the correct spot for geo to be right.  It's hard to tell.  What ive been seeing the whole time is how big the rear freewheel or freecoaster is and that tells me 42/16 or 38/13 or 40/14 or something.

Increase the Peace

#34 2018-09-12 6:20am

jriedmiller
ModeratorBuildoff Guru
Bikes: 21

I'm intrigued to see the official pics, but the lack of a frame/frameset option completely rules out any further consideration of me owning one.

Buying high and selling low for decades!

#35 2018-09-12 6:23am

jriedmiller
ModeratorBuildoff Guru

made2drag wrote:

Hot Shot wrote:

Looking at the pic above, seem to me like the chainstays appear to be horizontal starting from the dropouts before going up to join the downtube ?! The bashguard tubes/shape look more squarish like the '90 style Master & the rear sprocket looks huge ! So does this bike only works with 44:16 gear ratio ?

It will have a round bashguard.  The chainstays may drop some then shoot up towards the ht to put the bash cage in the correct spot for geo to be right.  It's hard to tell.  What ive been seeing the whole time is how big the rear freewheel or freecoaster is and that tells me 42/16 or 38/13 or 40/14 or something.

I hope you're wrong, offering a complete bike in 2019 with prehistoric gear ratios makes no sense IMO.

#36 2018-09-12 6:25am

made2drag
Pro Member

Hot Shot wrote:

Looking at the pic above, seems to me like the chainstays appear to be horizontal starting from the dropouts before going up to join the downtube ?! The bashguard tubes/shape look more squarish like the '90 style Master & the rear sprocket looks huge ! So does this bike only take 44:16 gear ratio ?

In the past, NS chainstays were short and wide to allow a big tire but limited the chainwheel to 25t-30t.  That was fine since micro gearing saved weight and gave clearance anyway.  I think this design, since the bash cage fixes that problem, might be able to run a 42 or maybe a 44t.  The rear freewheel looks to show this too.

Increase the Peace

#37 2018-09-12 6:31am

made2drag
Pro Member

jriedmiller wrote:

made2drag wrote:

Hot Shot wrote:

I hope you're wrong, offering a complete bike in 2019 with prehistoric gear ratios makes no sense IMO.

A ratio is a ratio.  I think if the rear sprocket is quality, there shouldn't be anything not to like.  I would think that if you grabbed this bike and rode it, you wouldn't feel or notice anything different.  In the looks department, a bigger front will look right.  A small bash and a 28 would look outta place.

Increase the Peace

#38 2018-09-12 6:35am

jriedmiller
ModeratorBuildoff Guru

made2drag wrote:

jriedmiller wrote:

made2drag wrote:

A ratio is a ratio.  I think if the rear sprocket is quality, there shouldn't be anything not to like.  I would think that if you grabbed this bike and rode it, you wouldn't feel or notice anything different.  In the looks department, a bigger front will look right.  A small bash and a 28 would look outta place.

Yes a ratio is a ratio, but the bigger sprocket weighs more and would require a larger bashguard section to protect it which adds further weight.  Plus a larger rear cog/freewheel on the rear also weighs more and you add more links to your chain which again adds weight.  What's the point of adding all that weight to accomplish nothing?  It's an old design that made sense then, but better options exist today.  Aesthetics are purely opinion so I won't argue with you there but I prefer the looks of the 28/9 myself and didn't feel it was out of place in the slightest on the Caveman I had.  Again, my opinion.

#39 2018-09-12 6:40am

made2drag
Pro Member

jriedmiller wrote:

made2drag wrote:

Hot Shot wrote:

If you wanted a 28/9 you could do that too or any size on up.  I think the buyers for this bike are people who rode an 89 and it'll be a hit.  A guy who rode an 87 or 88, probably wouldn't be as excited with an 89/2019 no matter what it looked like or how it came.  89 was a love it or hate it design already.

Increase the Peace

#40 2018-09-12 6:41am

AJ Macaroo
Pro MemberDiablo Sandwich & Dr. Pepper

made2drag wrote:

AJ Macaroo wrote:

Spintech wrote:

It's been said a few times that John has intentions of doing retro's for years to come.  91-92 retro's in 2021-22

I'm not sure how a 91-92 Ground Master retro would look different from a 2017-18 Master, other than decals, but John will pull it off with flying colors.

Thanks for the info sir! big_smile

Retired

#41 2018-09-12 6:45am

pwh4130
Pro Member
Bikes: 7
Website

Guess you're going to have to wait like the rest of us.  Take a look at John's FB for a sneak peek.

ride your bike until it breaks.

#42 2018-09-12 6:45am

jriedmiller
ModeratorBuildoff Guru

made2drag wrote:

jriedmiller wrote:

made2drag wrote:

If you wanted a 28/9 you could do that too or any size on up.  I think the buyers for this bike are people who rode an 89 and it'll be a hit.  A guy who rode an 87 or 88, probably wouldn't be as excited with an 89/2019 no matter what it looked like or how it came.  89 was a love it or hate it design already.

Which then takes me back to the point about it only being offered as a complete.  Giving people options is a great if it's sold as a frame/frameset but as a complete bike, options require tossing parts you didn't want but also paid for in favor of what you wanted in the first place.  I guess we'll have to wait and see what is actually being offered vs the speculation surrounding it.

#43 2018-09-12 7:02am

made2drag
Pro Member

jriedmiller wrote:

made2drag wrote:

jriedmiller wrote:

Which then takes me back to the point about it only being offered as a complete.  Giving people options is a great if it's sold as a frame/frameset but as a complete bike, options require tossing parts you didn't want but also paid for in favor of what you wanted in the first place.  I guess we'll have to wait and see what is actually being offered vs the speculation surrounding it.

Offering it as a complete is how they roll out the new seat post clamp, cranks, forks, stem, gearing and maybe even those new 48's.  If they went the route of offering all 3 colors in frame only, I don't think the completes would sell as well.  It's already a huge risk to stick his neck out to sell us what we want, when they can sell 25 times more of the double triangle bikes kids buy.  I think I read a post where he said Shredders are selling like hot cakes.

Increase the Peace

#44 2018-09-12 7:22am

jriedmiller
ModeratorBuildoff Guru

made2drag wrote:

jriedmiller wrote:

made2drag wrote:

Offering it as a complete is how they roll out the new seat post clamp, cranks, forks, stem, gearing and maybe even those new 48's.  If they went the route of offering all 3 colors in frame only, I don't think the completes would sell as well.  It's already a huge risk to stick his neck out to sell us what we want, when they can sell 25 times more of the double triangle bikes kids buy.  I think I read a post where he said Shredders are selling like hot cakes.

I get all that, truly I do.  I just don't see the point of constantly reinventing the past.  For the vintage line, sure make more of the 30 year old bikes if people want them.  For a lineage bike, I thought the idea was to modernize with hints of the past not keep digging it back up.  In the end, I'll hold off spreading any more salt until we see what the offering actually looks like lol

#45 2018-09-12 7:40am

ebenk
Pro Member

Every question will be answered in less than a week. Every option spec wise was gone over multiple times to make sure these bikes are able to be used the way that they were originally intended. The chainstays aren't horizontal, they actually have a slight bend in them which you can actually see if you look closely at the pic that was posted.

#46 2018-09-12 7:46am

made2drag
Pro Member

jriedmiller wrote:

made2drag wrote:

jriedmiller wrote:

I get all that, truly I do.  I just don't see the point of constantly reinventing the past.  For the vintage line, sure make more of the 30 year old bikes if people want them.  For a lineage bike, I thought the idea was to modernize with hints of the past not keep digging it back up.  In the end, I'll hold off spreading any more salt until we see what the offering actually looks like lol

Its a breath of fresh air to me.  Micro gearing and a few links might save a 1/4 of a pound?  Micro gearing is just so over done and I know its functional but doesn't fit a bike that had a monster sized bashguard.  I like how this bike will be the first of its kind since a long time.  You've got to admit the 89 had a huge bashguard...huge... a micro bashguard just to follow the norm, would be a lack of creativeness.  Boring NS look-a-like Caveman.  Lets save the Caveman copying for 91-92 Sports and lets see a medium bash 89 retro that actually looks like an 89.  IMHO this may be Haro's best work ever.

Increase the Peace

#47 2018-09-12 7:58am

ebenk
Pro Member

made2drag wrote:

jriedmiller wrote:

made2drag wrote:

Its a breath of fresh air to me.  Micro gearing and a few links might save a 1/4 of a pound?  Micro gearing is just so over done and I know its functional but doesn't fit a bike that had a monster sized bashguard.  I like how this bike will be the first of its kind since a long time.  You've got to admit the 89 had a huge bashguard...huge... a micro bashguard just to follow the norm, would be a lack of creativeness.  Boring NS look-a-like Caveman.  Lets save the Caveman copying for 91-92 Sports and lets see a medium bash 89 retro that actually looks like an 89.  IMHO this may be Haro's best work ever.

The reason the Caveman looked like a Sport, was because Mikes first real bike was a 91 Platinum colored Sport. He got John’s blessing prior to United making them. The guard on that frame turned out completely wrong, and fortunately if they do make another batch, the guard will be different, I actually sent him a plate that I made while we were working on the 2019 Master. Whether they use it or not is completely up to them.

On a side note, I agree on the larger size gearing that you’re talking about. It was proven to work, unlike they guards have with the micro drive frames of today.  The guard on the Master will work for sure this time around and is really rad. I seriously hope everyone is as stoked as we are with it.

#48 2018-09-12 8:21am

made2drag
Pro Member

ebenk wrote:

made2drag wrote:

jriedmiller wrote:

The reason the Caveman looked like a Sport, was because Mikes first real bike was a 91 Platinum colored Sport. He got John’s blessing prior to United making them. The guard on that frame turned out completely wrong, and fortunately if they do make another batch, the guard will be different, I actually sent him a plate that I made while we were working on the 2019 Master. Whether they use it or not is completely up to them.

On a side note, I agree on the larger size gearing that you’re talking about. It was proven to work, unlike they guards have with the micro drive frames of today.  The guard on the Master will work for sure this time around and is really rad. I seriously hope everyone is as stoked as we are with it.

Cool.  I do like the Caveman, especially Jriedmiller's.  He built it up perfectly.  I think every once in a while it's nice to see something unexpected and something that goes against the grain.  It looks like it will hold it's own with anything else someone can buy and have the look to go with it.  Not only that, but it pays homage to guys like you that paved the way for the sport to be what it is today. And if there was ever a bike John was going to go all out on, it's this one.

Increase the Peace

#49 2018-09-12 8:28am

JUGGARNAUT
Pro MemberDILLIGAF
For Sale: 3

Thank you Eben.

Squashed!

#50 2018-09-12 8:33am

made2drag
Pro Member

The FB pic of the red one showing the tapered 89 style forks, looks great.

Increase the Peace

Board footer

View Cart →