You are not logged in.

Race Inc.'s new 26" looptail  RSS Feed

#1 2018-08-21 11:28pm

Oaktown Massive
Pro Member
Bikes: 2
Website

Race Inc.'s new 26" looptail

Race Inc just posted on FB that they will be coming out with a new 26" looptail soon. 

"Yep, it’s about time we jumped into the 26” game with a retro inspired frame and fork. More pics and pre-order information on the way.."
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/42228/race-inc-265b7d025e99.jpg

1 9 7 7   R a c e   I n c.   R A - 7                                       1 9 7 9   R e d   L i n e   M X I I

#2 2018-08-21 11:39pm

TMS40
Pro Member

Re: Race Inc.'s new 26" looptail

If true I hope that there’re stronger than their 20”. Goning be a strain on seat post masts and other areas with a bunch of old men slowly putting on pounds purchasing and riding them them

#3 2018-08-21 11:39pm

TMS40
Pro Member

If true I hope that there’re stronger than their 20”. Goning be a strain on seat post masts and other areas with a bunch of old men slowly putting on pounds purchasing and riding them them

#4 2018-08-21 11:39pm

TMS40
Pro Member

^^^^Stupid slow internet.

Last edited by TMS40 (2018-08-21 11:40pm)

#5 2018-08-22 4:28am

Mich BMX
Pro MemberNo Lie!
For Sale: 24

Ya know I always wondered about their appeal on here. I seem to remember a lot of kids having them and they were mainly the “look how light my bike is, but I don’t race “ crowd. I also seem to remember lots of them being broken at some point..and it didn’t take much.
Obviously aluminum frame technology is way more advanced today...pretty much 90% of the bikes at the track today are aluminum.
Would be kind of cool to have provided it’s not easily breakable

Please.....no Tuff Wheels on full on race bikes...original graphite’s only and pre 81
Let me guess you were factory sponsored in
the 80’s...
Please no colored tires on race bikes...
So how many years were you a Pro....
You knew a guy that had a Mongoose that weighed 12 pounds

#6 2018-08-22 6:58am

D_Man
Pro Member
Bikes: 6

Alu has come a long way since the 80s.  PKs used to break a lot too.

#7 2018-08-22 7:30am

capt.shred
Pro Member
Bikes: 37
For Sale: 2

At least they’re not making a big 29er....   yet.

#8 2018-08-22 8:10am

its-all-good
Pro MemberDon't Cheers Me Bro
For Sale: 117
Website

cool

#9 2018-08-22 9:37am

squirrelsmith
Pro MemberLoves Naked Animated Girls!
Bikes: 3

I see they put those brake mount on nobody wants. 1 1/8" as well im sure. Boss is the only one that seems to give the people what they are really looking for sad

ya'll wanna see a dead body?

#10 2018-08-22 10:31am

Oaktown Massive
Pro Member
Bikes: 2
Website

Mich BMX wrote:

Ya know I always wondered about their appeal on here. I seem to remember a lot of kids having them and they were mainly the “look how light my bike is, but I don’t race “ crowd. I also seem to remember lots of them being broken at some point..and it didn’t take much.
Obviously aluminum frame technology is way more advanced today...pretty much 90% of the bikes at the track today are aluminum.

You'll find that Race Inc has a pretty loyal following, and they always have.  I'm one of them.  And they were race bikes, and raced well.  The first year the RA-7 was in production in 1976, Scot Breithaupt and Jeff Utterback took the RA-7 (under Team FMF) to #1 and #3 in the NBA Nationals.  Not many companies can claim that kind of success in their first year.  Over the years the Race Inc team was mainly SoCal based and maybe not well known on the east coast.  But guys like Harry Leary, Rick Scott, Mickey Lundy, Perry Kramer and Marty Garnass were awesome racers.  They had their share of victories.
   Many RA-7's were cracked bitd.  But then, many of everything was snapped back then.  I know that a number of guys in my crew broke all kinds of stuff, and wore that reputation as a badge of honor.  Also, if you're 200+ pounds and sitting all the time, that seat mast is gonna snap, no doubt about it.  But I put my Race Inc through hell when I was a kid, daily.  No video games, social media, or much TV to speak of.  That thing has hundreds of miles on it.  And I still ride it today - 40 yrs later.  I don't leave my comfort zone much anymore - I think the last table top I pulled was 5 or 6 yrs ago - but I'm a 50 yr old man.  I'm not afraid of my bike snapping, I'm afraid of me snapping.  I can't afford to be laid up for a year or more.  My Race Inc is still as reliable as it's ever been.  I'll take it out this weekend, and jump it, and not worry at all.

Last edited by Oaktown Massive (2018-08-22 11:06am)

1 9 7 7   R a c e   I n c.   R A - 7                                       1 9 7 9   R e d   L i n e   M X I I

#11 2018-08-22 11:10am

perront
Pro MemberThe Red Dog of The Hills
Bikes: 20

Could be cool, but it would be an embarrassment if it's not as cool as the retro model Supercross put out some years back...
https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/supercross/?model=2405

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonRobinson
PowerlitePowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksman!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#12 2018-08-22 12:56pm

84pk
Pro Member

perront wrote:

Could be cool, but it would be an embarrassment if it's not as cool as the retro model Supercross put out some years back...
https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/supercross/?model=2405

Agreed.

WTB:
Black SE pads

#13 2018-08-22 1:19pm

Minx20
Pro Member
Bikes: 26
For Sale: 1

squirrelsmith wrote:

I see they put those brake mount on nobody wants. 1 1/8" as well im sure. Boss is the only one that seems to give the people what they are really looking for sad

I personally would like to see some of these looptail old school new editions, retro's, whatever they're termed, with 135mm rear spacing / disc brake mounts, integrated hs, ....probably never happen but might apeal to some.

#14 2018-08-22 4:53pm

D_Man
Pro Member

Minx20 wrote:

squirrelsmith wrote:

I personally would like to see some of these looptail old school new editions, retro's, whatever they're termed, with 135mm rear spacing / disc brake mounts, integrated hs, ....probably never happen but might apeal to some.

SE has gone that route with the new “fast ripper,” though it also has 1x10 gearing.

#15 2018-08-22 4:59pm

crj1968
Pro MemberSlow Day 4 Me
Bikes: 21

Why not jump into the retro 20"/ 24"  scene? 

I'm glad they are making it, but I'd rather see a 24"   (ano blue of course)

#16 2018-08-22 5:00pm

Giginfrogg
Pro MemberFroggy
Bikes: 3

Minx20 wrote:

squirrelsmith wrote:

Would 135mm rear spacing be an ankle grabber. Is it a noticeable difference in width?

If I owe you feedback PM me. My inbox is like a WAR zone.
Wanted: 24 or 26" Quadangle F/F 1" threaded version non canti. What ever maker it may be....

#17 2018-08-22 5:09pm

ryan71
Pro Member
Bikes: 7

crj1968 wrote:

+1

Looking a set of Tioga Monoblock pedals. Also looking for a UFO Pro 24.

#18 2018-08-22 5:17pm

Minx20
Pro Member
Bikes: 26

Giginfrogg wrote:

Minx20 wrote:

squirrelsmith wrote:

Would 135mm rear spacing be an ankle grabber. Is it a noticeable difference in width?

Is about 1" wider than standard bmx spacing, from my experience never had issue with additional width. 135mm is a very common disc hub size, so would be a easy hub size to source vs 110mm disc hubs.

#19 2018-08-22 6:04pm

D_Man
Pro Member

crj1968 wrote:

They do make 20” and 24” race bikes that have modern geometry with retro aesthetic touches.

#20 2018-08-22 6:05pm

D_Man
Pro Member

Giginfrogg wrote:

Minx20 wrote:

squirrelsmith wrote:

Not an issue in practice.  My DJ, MTBs, and road bikes have all had this spacing or wider.

#21 2018-08-22 7:01pm

race_inc
Pro Member

D_Man wrote:

crj1968 wrote:

They do make 20” and 24” race bikes that have modern geometry with retro aesthetic touches.

But they are not looptail retro style frames.

#22 2018-08-22 7:23pm

D_Man
Pro Member

race_inc wrote:

D_Man wrote:

crj1968 wrote:

But they are not looptail retro style frames.

They have a gusset, which is a nod to history. But you are right—they lack the looptail and are modern race machines intended to appeal beyond the tiny retro market.

#23 2018-08-22 8:19pm

meandmydrz
Pro Member
Bikes: 1

Oaktown Massive wrote:

Mich BMX wrote:

You'll find that Race Inc has a pretty loyal following, and they always have.  I'm one of them.  And they were race bikes, and raced well.  The first year the RA-7 was in production in 1976, Scot Breithaupt and Jeff Utterback took the RA-7 (under Team FMF) to #1 and #3 in the NBA Nationals.  Not many companies can claim that kind of success in their first year.  Over the years the Race Inc team was mainly SoCal based and maybe not well known on the east coast.  But guys like Harry Leary, Rick Scott, Mickey Lundy, Perry Kramer and Marty Garnass were awesome racers.  They had their share of victories.
   Many RA-7's were cracked bitd.  But then, many of everything was snapped back then.  I know that a number of guys in my crew broke all kinds of stuff, and wore that reputation as a badge of honor.  Also, if you're 200+ pounds and sitting all the time, that seat mast is gonna snap, no doubt about it.  But I put my Race Inc through hell when I was a kid, daily.  No video games, social media, or much TV to speak of.  That thing has hundreds of miles on it.  And I still ride it today - 40 yrs later.  I don't leave my comfort zone much anymore - I think the last table top I pulled was 5 or 6 yrs ago - but I'm a 50 yr old man.  I'm not afraid of my bike snapping, I'm afraid of me snapping.  I can't afford to be laid up for a year or more.  My Race Inc is still as reliable as it's ever been.  I'll take it out this weekend, and jump it, and not worry at all.

I've owned two Race Inc.'s and raced them in my teens, never had an issue, great bikes and probably my favorite BMX bikes!

#24 2018-08-23 4:37am

Mich BMX
Pro MemberNo Lie!
For Sale: 24

meandmydrz wrote:

Oaktown Massive wrote:

Mich BMX wrote:

I've owned two Race Inc.'s and raced them in my teens, never had an issue, great bikes and probably my favorite BMX bikes!

Hopefully not taken as a bash...we did see Race Inc bikes at the tracks in the Midwest...and I agree about the SE stuff being just as fragile. I still to this day admire their welds and anodized finishes. And I agree with the post above...retro 24...they never made a 26.

Please.....no Tuff Wheels on full on race bikes...original graphite’s only and pre 81
Let me guess you were factory sponsored in
the 80’s...
Please no colored tires on race bikes...
So how many years were you a Pro....
You knew a guy that had a Mongoose that weighed 12 pounds

#25 2018-08-30 6:51pm

BRIAN HAYS
Pro MemberNOT Bubba Hayes
Bikes: 31

A) Race Inc and all SE alloy frames were all made by Race Inc.
B) Back then they were super lite and were made to win races. I almost gaurantee Bill Bastian and Scot Breithaupt werent looking for a frame that would last 5 years, let alone 40 years. Sadly these frames have outlived them both.
C) Chris at Race Inc has done a fine job and Sal (SE Racings famous welder) is doing a great job building these frames for Chris. Why not a 26"? They are a nod to the oldschool, NOT oldschool. The Supercross ones sold out quickly ( nevermind all the drama. Those who were members over at Vintagebmx.com remember). Bill at Supercross did the Azusa (JMC tribute) and Nomorea (Nomura tribute) and then the Race Inc 26 retros. Great frames in the end but it turned into such a shitshow, Bill never did another retro project again......im off topic. The new 26" retros will be cool and alot of fun to ride, Im sure. Im 47 and weigh 225 at 5'11" so Im not sitting on any of my OG Race Incs anytime.....ever.
RI is a small operation. 26" stuff sells, Im sure Chris and Sal will expand the frame line more.

Last edited by BRIAN HAYS (2018-08-30 6:53pm)

I live for Race Inc, SE Racing, GJS, Navajo, Nomura and GHP!

Board footer

View Cart →