You are not logged in.

********Somthing EVERYONE on this site should read!!!!****************  RSS Feed

#1 2018-05-11 4:14am

flatland1974
Pro MemberOzone Hole Plugger
For Sale: 70

********Somthing EVERYONE on this site should read!!!!****************

Very well written article!!!Thoughts?
https://brettdownsconspiracy.wordpress. … e-old-guy/
(photo credit:Murphy Lee Moschetta)

"Over the last few years I have come to realize I’m no longer just another BMX guy. I mean, I still ride BMX all the time but I’m not one of the guys. I’m the old BMX guy. Seems there are more and more of us these days. Some got off the bike for a number of years and decided to get back on. Some, like me, have been riding the whole time. It’s really an interesting place to be and I can’t help feel like something is familiar about it.

Back in the 80’s, we were lucky to be a part of the first wave of freestyle. You’ll often hear old guys talk about how great things were “back in the day”. Honestly, I think it has more to do with the age we were at. As teens, people get infatuated with things and start to define themselves by the groups to which they belong. We were the Freestylers. It was exciting to find ourselves at the beginning of a new sport. For some of us, we got to help define what the sport was. We made up the tricks. Back then you could come up with a handful of new moves every month. Today, we get a handful of new moves a year by everyone. I’m not talking about another whip or spin added. I mean a completely new position or move. We were The First.

Today as one of the old guys who kept riding, I realize once again we are the first. The first generation of riders not to stop when life, relationships, work, kids or whatever else got in the way. We are continuing to push the limits. We have no idea how long people can still do this. Eventually our bodies will give out and we’ll have to stop, but for most of us, the limit isn’t in sight even if our own mortality is.

When we all started riding as little kids, we got into it because it was fun. Every jump or trick was important and we felt it. We couldn’t do everything but we enjoyed pushing ourselves. Eventually, riding became important to many of us with contest, shows, sponsors or video parts. It became a job, an obsession. It was still fun but there were other motivations behind why we did it. Riding took on a whole new purpose. Eventually, most of us left the “pro” life behind and what I’ve noticed is that riding has come back full circle as to why we do it; simply for the fun. Our riding doesn’t have to have purpose anymore. We do it because we enjoy doing it.

It’s uncomfortable as hell to ride as an old guy. All the moves you did effortlessly are difficult or damn impossible anymore. We have to pick and choose carefully. Putting limits on ourselves goes against everything we grew up doing. I half jokingly tell people I can’t do tricks for fun anymore. Yeah, I’m sure I can still do a one handed, no footed 360 but I don’t do it. If you offer me $500 to see it, I’ll bust one out but it’s not going to be just for fun anymore. I’ve got too much rust and too much to lose.

One salvation about being the old guy is that there is a certain liberty in not having to constantly progress and be better. Just getting out riding is enough. Some sessions are spent doing things I learned 30 years ago or like tonight, spending 60 minutes on a move I’ve never done before. Cruising around the skatepark enjoying the carve, relearning an old trick or trying something new is all it has to be. No expectations, no pressure. It’s not that I’m not trying anymore. Hell, I’m trying about as hard as I ever did. It’s about enjoying the moment, perfecting the art. Not doing it all, just doing what you feel. With decades of experience to rely upon, our skill set is well formed and we can catch a groove in ways we couldn’t as up and comers. Riding is more refined these days. Guys like Simon Tabron or John Yull have purposefully stopped doing many tricks just to focus on a personal journey. While it seems limiting, they are finding new boundaries inside their box and becoming better at what they do than they ever were. BMX has become whatever we want it to be.

Some of us old guys still compete and push ourselves to be top riders. Others stay hidden in the woods or their back yards and private spots. Chasing the dream of being a pro rider is behind us. Chasing the dream of being the best rider we can be is still very much alive. The same dream we had when we blasted off the curb for the first time. All the accolades, contests, shows and achievements don’t mean anything while we are riding. We are in the moment and it’s the same moment as when we were 14 years old.

So I offer a tip of the hat to all the other old guys out there still riding their BMX bikes. Keep leading the way. To all the young riders out there I offer one bit of advice. Next time you see the old guy in the flannel riding, don’t snake him. Let him take his run first. He’s got to make the most out of the runs he has left."
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/77641/safe_image5af57b003b.png

Taking NOS to POS since 1984!!!!!

#2 2018-05-11 4:21am

bmxerpete
Pro Member
Bikes: 10

Re: ********Somthing EVERYONE on this site should read!!!!****************

Perfect.

#3 2018-05-11 5:13am

TMS40
Pro Member

Beautifully written cool

#4 2018-05-11 5:18am

jriedmiller
Pro MemberBuildoff Guru
Bikes: 22

Indeed a well thought out bit of wisdom and insight for us old farts.  Thanks for sharing Bob and thanks for keeping it real Brett!

Buying high and selling low for decades!

#5 2018-05-11 5:27am

quick2
Pro MemberPaul thinks he's Schwinning but I already Schwonn
Bikes: 25
For Sale: 5

Very very well stated!! Until I read this, I didn't realize how similar it was to something else I used to think about in the 80's.  "what are rock and roll stars going to do when they get old".  and the answer for them is the same as the answer for us.  some left never to return, while some still rock unapologetically!  Maybe not going as big as BITD, but still rocking nonetheless. 
One of my favorite threads here is the "old guys who still want to ride" thread.  I wish I personally contributed more than a few pics to that thread, but I'm grateful to those who do contribute more regularly, especially Brett.  BMX can be a different thing to different people, but as long as it IS BMX, and is supporting the sport (or hobby) I respect it.  Some session daily, some once or twice a year.  Some build bikes just to look at them and harvest nostalgia, some build them to ride to get ice cream with their kids.  I urge every bmx-related person I meet to at least get on a bike and ride it in some capacity.
Ironic that Brett dropped that the same day Bill released his first video in 20+ years too! big_smile

Remember....if everyone came to a bike show without a bike, it would just be a bunch of dudes standing around in a park...and that's just creepy!  If you've got one, bring one.  -Me
If you only do what you can do, you will never be more than you are now..  -Master Shifu
*LOOKING FOR GREEN SKYWAY MAGS* A NOS REAR, OR A  NEAR MINT CONDITION PAIR [img]http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/39961/greenskywaysmall5d0d542f49.jpg[/img]

#6 2018-05-11 5:30am

Shazambmx
Pro Member$$$
Bikes: 6

TMS40 wrote:

Beautifully written cool

+1

Mikey.... Good Gorilla....... King Of The Concrete Jungle........ Local 18A.... NYC.

#7 2018-05-11 5:33am

jay_bmxer
Pro Member
Bikes: 9

Well said:D

#8 2018-05-11 5:58am

1bad540
Pro Member

well written!

#9 2018-05-11 6:21am

tacochris
Pro Member

Lovely....right in the feels.
I think it was a bit of a punch in the gut the moment I realized those days just aren't gonna happen anymore for me.  As I watch the young-guns online dropping from 2 store stair sets to flat, doing double back-flips with a bar spin thrown in "just for fun" and guys bunny hopping mail boxes, I begin to understand just how FAR the game has gone ahead of me and catching up now would most likely end in my demise.  Too many factors now days, job, irreversible damage to my back, health insurance, carpal tunnel, time, fatherhood, etc just make a lot of what I see online nearly impossible without a much greater sacrifice than I ever had in the 80's and 90's.  I sit at the top of a half pipe drop in trying desperately to remember what my deductible was should this go wrong and whether or not the emergency room would be considered out-of-market-care.  Every 360 I miss I feel for a week and each break I take in between jumps is that much longer. 
...but I agree with the article, just getting out and pumping down the street on my BMX bike as a middle aged man, jumpin curbs, pulling the occasionally 180 in a parking lot, sometimes its just enough to keep me attached to that part of what I thought I would never stop being.  I do often sit and let old home movies run in my head of days when I jumped huge home-made ramps as high as I possible could with zero regard for safety, jumped from every loading dock I could find and broke parts left and right.  Those were good days.....good days indeed.

Last edited by tacochris (2018-05-11 6:22am)

Just an oldschool minitrucker and bmx kid doing what i do....
Proud "Klunker" hater.....

"...I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol days...before you've actually left em..."      -Andy Bernard

#10 2018-05-11 7:14am

perront
Pro MemberThe Red Dog of The Hills
Bikes: 20

Good stuff all the way.  For me, unless you count organizing rides/events and brokering deals that have placed a lot of vintage bikes in the hands of collectors, it wasn't like I ever accomplished that much in the way of riding when I was younger.  In fact, I got a really late start in the BMX world.  Sure, I raced for a bit when I was in my 20s, and do stuff most would consider only mildly aggressive, but there are many among you who have done things on bikes that I will never do.  What I have found, though, is that in life, one may come across an activity that is totally new to him/her, and hence get the opportunity experience nothing but improvement while participating in that activity.  This happened for me with martial arts, and is currently happening with hockey.  As long as you're staying active and throwing in the occasional push when possible, keep rockin' with what you know, but don't shy away from opportunities to think outside the box and take on brand new challenges!

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonRobinson
PowerlitePowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksman!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#11 2018-05-11 7:29am

pwh4130
Pro Member
Bikes: 7
Website

perront wrote:

Good stuff all the way.  For me, unless you count organizing rides/events and brokering deals that have placed a lot of vintage bikes in the hands of collectors, it wasn't like I ever accomplished that much in the way of riding when I was younger.  In fact, I got a really late start in the BMX world.  Sure, I raced for a bit when I was in my 20s, and do stuff most would consider only mildly aggressive, but there are many among you who have done things on bikes that I will never do.  What I have found, though, is that in life, one may come across an activity that is totally new to him/her, and hence get the opportunity experience nothing but improvement while participating in that activity.  This happened for me with martial arts, and is currently happening with hockey.  As long as you're staying active and throwing in the occasional push when possible, keep rockin' with what you know, but don't shy away from opportunities to think outside the box and take on brand new challenges!

Organizing events and being part of the community is contributing.  More than you realize.  It's not just about doing tabletops and tailwhips.  The scene is everything encompassed.  Thanks for doing your part.

ride your bike until it breaks.

#12 2018-05-11 7:38am

perront

Thank you, sir.  I really appreciate it!

Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Free AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonRobinson
PowerlitePowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksman!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#13 2018-05-11 7:56am

jberg27
Pro Member
Bikes: 31

Last couple of years I've come back to the sport and its been a great thing.  Along the lines of the original story it hit me a couple of weeks ago at our local track during open practice and as I was waiting to get into the gate I heard some kid that had to be 10 or 11 behind me telling his friend the the "old guy" in front of them cut him off last time, and "what does he think he's doing".  Kind of gave me that feeling of not fitting in for a moment (I also turned around and unsnapped my mouthguard, which is completely foreign to kids these days also, and gave him the look that I'll do it again too...).  A little later though a guy my age came up and said he loved the '87 RS1 I was riding and started talking to me about the good old days, it saved the night for me.  Thirty-five years ago I loved the competition and was always trying to keep up with how good my little brother was, but today I appreciate the desert air, the rush of hitting the jumps, riding the old bikes, hitting the track with my brother for fun, and watching the newer generations go through the same trials and tribulations we did way back when.

#14 2018-05-11 7:59am

ChrisHunt
Pro Member
Website

Nice Read

82-86 NBL / Freestyl'n 83-86

#15 2018-05-11 8:06am

hoffmanfan
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

I have no idea what he's talking about, I just collect BMX bikes becuase they're cool... the rarer they are cooler they make me! cool

#16 2018-05-11 8:33am

kalel92198
Pro MemberUnleash The Beast
Bikes: 15

The article made me reminisce about those great times I had while riding! It saddens me I have gone so long without jumping a garbage can or jumping a set of stairs. I am now somewhat motivated now to get this haro done faster just to see how much skill I have lost over the years. Maybe it's time to rip some shins and bust some knuckles again!

Slap a tampon in it and call it a day!
ISO:85 mcs styler f/f
Nbd Kattsclawws67
Trades: back spin for front spin
Front steel pro class wheel for Gt fork
RBD2

#17 2018-05-11 8:34am

El Gecko
Pro Member

perront wrote:

What I have found, though, is that in life, one may come across an activity that is totally new to him/her, and hence get the opportunity experience nothing but improvement while participating in that activity.  This happened for me with martial arts, and is currently happening with hockey.  As long as you're staying active and throwing in the occasional push when possible, keep rockin' with what you know, but don't shy away from opportunities to think outside the box and take on brand new challenges!

That happened to me the last few years with skiing.  I now understand why people suggest cross training for elite athletes, it has totally changed my mindset and made me a vastly better rider in a short amount of time.

And totally, 100% YES to all the rest of this thread (and Brett's excellent article).  I'm in my early 30s, so I'm a youngin compared to some of yall, but this is basically how I've been approaching riding for the last few years--just go out and have fun and either ignore what everyone else is doing and do my own thing, or sit back and cheer the kids on.  The urge to always be a better rider is always there, I just don't push as hard to progress as I used to.  But every ride is still a building block.  There's that saying where you need to practice something for 10,000 hours to become an expert or master, and I feel like they're onto something there.  However, practice can be 10,000 hours of fun if you have the right mindset.  No matter if I'm riding BMX or MTB or whatever, sometimes I have to remind myself of the 4 magic words: just enjoy the ride big_smile

Relax.
Balance.
Focus.

#18 2018-05-11 8:48am

justlive
Pro MemberRemember remember the 80's forever
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 1

flatland1974 wrote:

Very well written article!!!Thoughts?
https://brettdownsconspiracy.wordpress. … e-old-guy/
(photo credit:Murphy Lee Moschetta)

"Over the last few years I have come to realize I’m no longer just another BMX guy. I mean, I still ride BMX all the time but I’m not one of the guys. I’m the old BMX guy. Seems there are more and more of us these days. Some got off the bike for a number of years and decided to get back on. Some, like me, have been riding the whole time. It’s really an interesting place to be and I can’t help feel like something is familiar about it.

Back in the 80’s, we were lucky to be a part of the first wave of freestyle. You’ll often hear old guys talk about how great things were “back in the day”. Honestly, I think it has more to do with the age we were at. As teens, people get infatuated with things and start to define themselves by the groups to which they belong. We were the Freestylers. It was exciting to find ourselves at the beginning of a new sport. For some of us, we got to help define what the sport was. We made up the tricks. Back then you could come up with a handful of new moves every month. Today, we get a handful of new moves a year by everyone. I’m not talking about another whip or spin added. I mean a completely new position or move. We were The First.

Today as one of the old guys who kept riding, I realize once again we are the first. The first generation of riders not to stop when life, relationships, work, kids or whatever else got in the way. We are continuing to push the limits. We have no idea how long people can still do this. Eventually our bodies will give out and we’ll have to stop, but for most of us, the limit isn’t in sight even if our own mortality is.

When we all started riding as little kids, we got into it because it was fun. Every jump or trick was important and we felt it. We couldn’t do everything but we enjoyed pushing ourselves. Eventually, riding became important to many of us with contest, shows, sponsors or video parts. It became a job, an obsession. It was still fun but there were other motivations behind why we did it. Riding took on a whole new purpose. Eventually, most of us left the “pro” life behind and what I’ve noticed is that riding has come back full circle as to why we do it; simply for the fun. Our riding doesn’t have to have purpose anymore. We do it because we enjoy doing it.

It’s uncomfortable as hell to ride as an old guy. All the moves you did effortlessly are difficult or damn impossible anymore. We have to pick and choose carefully. Putting limits on ourselves goes against everything we grew up doing. I half jokingly tell people I can’t do tricks for fun anymore. Yeah, I’m sure I can still do a one handed, no footed 360 but I don’t do it. If you offer me $500 to see it, I’ll bust one out but it’s not going to be just for fun anymore. I’ve got too much rust and too much to lose.

One salvation about being the old guy is that there is a certain liberty in not having to constantly progress and be better. Just getting out riding is enough. Some sessions are spent doing things I learned 30 years ago or like tonight, spending 60 minutes on a move I’ve never done before. Cruising around the skatepark enjoying the carve, relearning an old trick or trying something new is all it has to be. No expectations, no pressure. It’s not that I’m not trying anymore. Hell, I’m trying about as hard as I ever did. It’s about enjoying the moment, perfecting the art. Not doing it all, just doing what you feel. With decades of experience to rely upon, our skill set is well formed and we can catch a groove in ways we couldn’t as up and comers. Riding is more refined these days. Guys like Simon Tabron or John Yull have purposefully stopped doing many tricks just to focus on a personal journey. While it seems limiting, they are finding new boundaries inside their box and becoming better at what they do than they ever were. BMX has become whatever we want it to be.

Some of us old guys still compete and push ourselves to be top riders. Others stay hidden in the woods or their back yards and private spots. Chasing the dream of being a pro rider is behind us. Chasing the dream of being the best rider we can be is still very much alive. The same dream we had when we blasted off the curb for the first time. All the accolades, contests, shows and achievements don’t mean anything while we are riding. We are in the moment and it’s the same moment as when we were 14 years old.

So I offer a tip of the hat to all the other old guys out there still riding their BMX bikes. Keep leading the way. To all the young riders out there I offer one bit of advice. Next time you see the old guy in the flannel riding, don’t snake him. Let him take his run first. He’s got to make the most out of the runs he has left."
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 7b003b.png

Now that was perfect. That needs to be permanently posted on the home page of this site. For those that don't know Brett is member pwh4130 on here. Pwh for Plywood Hoods cool

Last edited by justlive (2018-05-11 8:51am)

-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

#19 2018-05-11 9:17am

Forhisglory_1
Pro Member
Bikes: 1
Website

Dang soo good. I look forward to sharing it with my wife to see if this helps her better understand why I love squeezing in a session at the local skate park and the trails so much.

Just to get out and take it all in with a smile.

I love Jesus and BMX.
Check out my blog at awakenosleeper

My struggle with being faithful
https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=769417

#20 2018-05-11 10:32am

perront

El Gecko wrote:

perront wrote:

What I have found, though, is that in life, one may come across an activity that is totally new to him/her, and hence get the opportunity experience nothing but improvement while participating in that activity.  This happened for me with martial arts, and is currently happening with hockey.  As long as you're staying active and throwing in the occasional push when possible, keep rockin' with what you know, but don't shy away from opportunities to think outside the box and take on brand new challenges!

That happened to me the last few years with skiing.  I now understand why people suggest cross training for elite athletes, it has totally changed my mindset and made me a vastly better rider in a short amount of time.

And totally, 100% YES to all the rest of this thread (and Brett's excellent article).  I'm in my early 30s, so I'm a youngin compared to some of yall, but this is basically how I've been approaching riding for the last few years--just go out and have fun and either ignore what everyone else is doing and do my own thing, or sit back and cheer the kids on.  The urge to always be a better rider is always there, I just don't push as hard to progress as I used to.  But every ride is still a building block.  There's that saying where you need to practice something for 10,000 hours to become an expert or master, and I feel like they're onto something there.  However, practice can be 10,000 hours of fun if you have the right mindset.  No matter if I'm riding BMX or MTB or whatever, sometimes I have to remind myself of the 4 magic words: just enjoy the ride big_smile

...Or goad the old man into entering a race he's not ready for!

FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!

#21 2018-05-11 10:55am

Garcia_58
Pro MemberBeg
Bikes: 41
For Sale: 12

cool

I am not of this world ----- 1978 GLJ 1979 DG Racer ----  WWG1WGA

#22 2018-05-11 11:26am

jakester720
Pro Member1%er
Bikes: 2

I was fortunate to experience that feeling twice...once with BMX as it rose from infancy, and again 10 or so years later with wakeboarding. I was working at a dealership when the whole sport began and actually "made" the first Air Nautique on the west coast by adding decals and a taller pylon lolol...

But yes, well written and truly speaks to how I bet a lot of us fell...

Last edited by jakester720 (2018-05-11 11:27am)

The battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, water temperature is off the chart and I am running out of petrol...but the clock is correct.

"REJOICE, AS WE SHALL DEFEAT RACISM IN OUR LIFETIME" - Henry Rollins 1997

#23 2018-05-11 12:09pm

El Gecko
Pro Member

perront wrote:

El Gecko wrote:

perront wrote:

...Or goad the old man into entering a race he's not ready for!

What race?  That was just an extra fun day at the trails! tongue

Relax.
Balance.
Focus.

#24 2018-05-11 12:12pm

jake4wut
Pro Member
Bikes: 15

I got drunk drinking with my BMX bros in Scottsdale and crashed into a tree! keep the BMX riding strong big_smile

3 Folden Ragtop N it

#25 2018-05-11 12:57pm

old bmx dad/Ted
Pro MemberSupreme Robinson Collector
Bikes: 19
For Sale: 4

cool

44T-Chicago Life member.                  1983 Robinson Cruiser ..  Thank you Brian ...

Birthplace & Home of the Robinson sanctuary .

Trailorparkpimps #1 and only Big friend
Fubu79 you have a special place in my heart
       Bird you will be missed .....
                                                                 OTB ??????

Board footer

View Cart →