You are not logged in.

survivor or restoration?  RSS Feed

#1 2018-04-03 8:36am

flatpro
Pro Member
Bikes: 3

survivor or restoration?

Lately I've seen a lot of Mid School people having substantial work done on their frames. Stuff like welding 14mm drop-outs back to 10mm, fixing dents, new paint etc. Even though those frames turn out very nice in the end, I'm not sure how I feel about it. Why would you spend a lot of money on a rare frame and then have someone weld it. Doesn't that mean you're transforming the frame into something new? You wouldn't paint over a Picasso just because one corner of the painting isn't mint anymore, would you?

How do you guys feel about it?  And where would you draw the line?

Last edited by flatpro (2018-04-03 8:51am)

#2 2018-04-03 8:38am

Eric DeCastro
Museum Addict
Website

Re: survivor or restoration?

i feel it's none of my business what people do with their bikes.  if they want a full custom bike or if they want all numbers matching.  who cares?  unless they borrow one of your bikes, then start welding on it then you should leave those people alone.

Last edited by Eric DeCastro (2018-04-03 8:39am)

Righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.

#3 2018-04-03 8:39am

Eric DeCastro
Museum Addict
Website

Eric DeCastro wrote:

i feel it's none of my business what people do with their bikes.  if they want a full custom bike or if they want all numbers matching.  who cares?  unless they borrow one of your bikes, then start welding on it then you should leave those people alone.

sorry clicked quote when I meant edit.

Last edited by Eric DeCastro (2018-04-03 8:39am)

#4 2018-04-03 8:46am

flatpro
Pro Member
Bikes: 3

Eric DeCastro wrote:

Of course it's none of your (or my) business what they do with their frames but that's not the point. Just want to hear how other collectors feel about it? If they have work done on their frames or prefer the survivor look?

#5 2018-04-03 9:08am

Eric DeCastro
Museum Addict
Website

depends on why you are going to do with it.  My friends ride their bikes so some of the old school bikes they have welded on canti post for V brakes.  I took a 92 performer and converted it to a 89 PFT so I had to weld (brased) on 990 post, brake cable stops and brake cable guides. 

some people prefer a 1967 Shelby GT350, some people prefer the Eleanor.  both make no difference to me.  it's your bike, not mine to judge.

#6 2018-04-03 9:13am

spyker
Pro MemberDr. of Thuganonics

Whole point of this bike hobby is to have fun.If fun is to custominze a bike to your liking,I see nothing wrong with it.Long as you enjoy what you're doing,who cares what others think.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
Lying cheating untrustworthy scamming livestock screwing ugly crater face racist snitch!

#7 2018-04-03 9:33am

Eric DeCastro
Museum Addict
Website

exactly, I can appreciate both.  I have one all original 83 mongoose but it looks like everyone elses original mongoose.  all my other bikes are custom even if it's just candy paint with different year stickers, I don't care what others say.

#8 2018-04-03 9:33am

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member“The Hammer”
Bikes: 75
For Sale: 3
Website

9 times out of 10 it's a clean up and replace missing or damaged parts. Sometimes that involves more effort than others. Sometimes if I can find a decal set I'll replace one they'd been removed or is in bad shape. All of my midschool bikes are survivors to a certain extent. I have a Holmes going to get powdered but that only because the bike was free and in terrible shape.

Like everything my friend, you a just a means to an end...

[img]http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/56126/9d4c6707-718c-4ec3-9aeb-aef1bc82caa95c467c81b65cd1c79e64.jpg[/img]

#9 2018-04-03 9:39am

jriedmiller
ModeratorBuildoff Guru
Bikes: 21

I like custom stuff, so I'm all for doing whatever.  To me, these aren't art pieces they are bicycles meant to be ridden and enjoyed not stared at behind a velvet rope.  If by customizing a frame it yields further purpose in life, then great.  Better that then getting tossed in the trash.

Last edited by jriedmiller (2018-04-03 9:45am)

Buying high and selling low for decades!

#10 2018-04-03 9:40am

justlive
Pro MemberRemember remember the 80's forever
Bikes: 10

spyker wrote:

Whole point of this bike hobby is to have fun.If fun is to custominze a bike to your liking,I see nothing wrong with it.Long as you enjoy what you're doing,who cares what others think.

+1 bottom line

-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

#11 2018-04-03 9:40am

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member“The Hammer”
Bikes: 75
For Sale: 3
Website

Kurt_Rad wrote:

9 times out of 10 it's a clean up and replace missing or damaged parts. Sometimes that involves more effort than others. Sometimes if I can find a decal set I'll replace one they'd been removed or is in bad shape. All of my midschool bikes are survivors to a certain extent. I have a Holmes going to get powdered but that only because the bike was free and in terrible shape.

And further 9 times out of 10 a bike to me isn't a catalogue bike. A lot of bikes I have found are in nice shape and bone stock but that normally tells me they were ridden lightly by kids

Last edited by Kurt_Rad (2018-04-03 9:42am)

Like everything my friend, you a just a means to an end...

[img]http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/56126/9d4c6707-718c-4ec3-9aeb-aef1bc82caa95c467c81b65cd1c79e64.jpg[/img]

#12 2018-04-03 1:38pm

JonnyCruzR
Pro Member
Bikes: 6
For Sale: 10

jriedmiller wrote:

I like custom stuff, so I'm all for doing whatever.  To me, these aren't art pieces they are bicycles meant to be ridden and enjoyed not stared at behind a velvet rope.  If by customizing a frame it yields further purpose in life, then great.  Better that then getting tossed in the trash.

Agree.

Board footer

View Cart →