You are not logged in.

What's Your Secret?  RSS Feed

#26 2018-03-30 6:57pm

BoomBox
Expert

Re: What's Your Secret?

my line of work im in lots of basements some times 2-3 a day. lots of old bikes end up there tongue

#27 2018-03-30 7:02pm

Giginfrogg
Pro MemberFroggy
Bikes: 3

It used to be the paper. 7 years ago craigs list worked. Now i dont care. lol

If I owe you feedback PM me. My inbox is like a WAR zone.
Wanted: 24 or 26" Quadangle F/F 1" threaded version non canti. What ever maker it may be....

#28 2018-03-30 8:18pm

troynlori
Moderator"Pedal Peddler"
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 119

I just hang out around Taco Bell Dumpsters.  That's from where the best scores come.

Hutch Fun Facts: All main line Hutch's with digits only S/N (no letters or baseballs) on the rear drop outs were US made and had their dropouts stamped between late '83 and '86.  Obviously the frame manufacture would occur slightly after that, even if they just threw 'em in a bucket randomly.  There is an obvious date code in that the first 2 digits seem to be the month and the 3rd digit is pretty obviously the last digit of the year running from '83-'86.

#29 2018-03-30 8:34pm

STREETBEATBEAST
Pro MemberSKYWAY SENSAI
Bikes: 1

spyker wrote:

STREETBEATBEAST wrote:

justlive wrote:

Crack houses

I prefer B & E on police impounds..
"FREE THE HOUNDS!"
big_smile

I prefer to just take them from the owners themselves.The best scores are done this way.....gun point,knife point,mace,baseball bat whatever it takes.

And they say we're the "nice quiet country" lmao. That's the biggest illusion of all lol

Heres my profound, life changing statement.
Lifes a bitch..PASS ME A BEER.

They're reacting and that's wonderful. It's better than them sitting there doing nothing. I say make them react - do whatever's in your power to move the audience, and if that's where it is, and there where it is with America, sex and violence, then I say project it.
ALICE COOPER

#30 2018-03-30 8:39pm

spyker
Pro MemberDr. of Thuganonics

STREETBEATBEAST wrote:

spyker wrote:

STREETBEATBEAST wrote:

"FREE THE HOUNDS!"
big_smile

I prefer to just take them from the owners themselves.The best scores are done this way.....gun point,knife point,mace,baseball bat whatever it takes.

And they say we're the "nice quiet country" lmao. That's the biggest illusion of all lol

I'm from the hood and we take what we want....THUG LYFE!!!!!!!

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
Lying cheating untrustworthy scamming livestock screwing ugly crater face racist snitch!

#31 2018-03-30 8:44pm

m3brendan
Pro Member
Bikes: 7

I've traditionally bought off here but the last few things I've bought have been through Facebook or just direct from people I know from here.  eBay has been a good source for moderately hard to find stuff.

Nothings says late 80s BMX like a mullet hanging out the back of a Dyno UL helmet

#32 2018-03-30 8:59pm

Yungavalanche80
Banned

I called a kid in the morning and gave him $20 bucks for a new diamond back he said you sounded cool out of all the people/ go figure /gave bike to friends boys" girfriend -play it foward -i was jus happy to have seen it (bmx love).......

#33 2018-03-30 9:09pm

Yungavalanche80
Banned

spyker wrote:

STREETBEATBEAST wrote:

justlive wrote:

Crack houses

"FREE THE HOUNDS!"
big_smile

Well you never caught the avalanche its faster than a speeding high power lead projectile traveling past the speed of sound. ,,hum.  Ima go home// instead/ and// lock my door// moma said always// read //before you do ...see why ima go home //shoot// i read that //im really not //stupid boy //cept bout the bmx museum4LIFE..

Last edited by Yungavalanche80 (2018-03-30 9:11pm)

#34 2018-03-30 9:15pm

Indyjps
Museum Addict
Bikes: 21

Find out where bmx tracks are, or were in your area.   Youre in Tulsa, should be enough population there to uncover some scores.   Depends on what youre into though.   True old school stuff thats been sitting for years isnt actively listed...its still sitting.

MTNBKSUK

#35 2018-03-30 9:22pm

Yungavalanche80
Banned

Being me and( horny) for an old bike people dont// understand(poor lil me ) //he practially gave me the bike//after i rode down the street and back my forks were there i was happy ... I felt so bad i gave him a rockford fosgate power dealer shirt....had 20x1 1/8 rims and mini handlebars ....felt good though

Last edited by Yungavalanche80 (2018-03-30 9:26pm)

#36 2018-03-31 12:15am

geoluv

^ this brings up a good point you just have to always have your eye out.  Don't be afraid to poke your head behind a barn or in a shed or don't be afraid to ask if something is for sale. 

I know of a guy who does landscaping for a living who scores super hard all the time, every house he goes to he asks if they have old bikes (or anything) they would sell.  Always poking around.

Also people seem to have shifted to talking about "scores"...  like getting a really good deal.  that depends on what is a good deal to you.  30% off going rate?  60%?  I've purchased a good amount of vintage bmx bikes, some almost complete and some not very complete, but off the top of my head I can't think of getting anything for better than around 40% off what going rate on eBay would be.  No $200 near mint Masters or PFTs or anything like that.  More like $200 for a almost complete but thrashed '84 Haro FST that needs paint and is missing the most expensive original parts like the tires and seat, or $200 for a near mint asian Taj frame with a used standard forks and a quill Redneck.  Or $500 for a complete Pro Raider with tons of hutch parts.  See $500 sounds like a lot but obviously a complete American pro raider with no damage and lots of hutch parts is worth more than $500.

There seem to be two ways I end up getting "really good deals"; 
1.When the bike is nearly complete and has no damage like cracks or dents but might have a few surface rust spots, might have f-ed up decals or need entirely new paint.  The bike will look rough so the seller won't be seeing $$$ in his eyes like if it was still crispy.
2. When a collector is selling off some/all of his collection for whatever reason.  If he "needs" money you can get complete bikes, usually choice models, for pretty cheap especially if you bundle a few. 

Again what is a "score?"  Is it a very rough but complete 88 Performer missing the seat, tires, and bars for $75 from a broke college student who wondered into your shop?  Or is it a mostly all original fully restored blue accent 85 Californian for $500 that you buy from a collector that needs money for his kid to go to that same college?

#37 2018-03-31 4:36am

Capn_Crunch
BMXer 4 Life

My mom finds them for me then my dad goes and gets them in his Sebring stationwagon. On the way home we stop by the A&W stand for a root beer float.

Anyone know how to get spray paint out of a baby's eyes?

#38 2018-03-31 6:09am

getnbze
Pro Member

geoluv wrote:

^ this brings up a good point you just have to always have your eye out.  Don't be afraid to poke your head behind a barn or in a shed or don't be afraid to ask if something is for sale. 

I know of a guy who does landscaping for a living who scores super hard all the time, every house he goes to he asks if they have old bikes (or anything) they would sell.  Always poking around.

Also people seem to have shifted to talking about "scores"...  like getting a really good deal.  that depends on what is a good deal to you.  30% off going rate?  60%?  I've purchased a good amount of vintage bmx bikes, some almost complete and some not very complete, but off the top of my head I can't think of getting anything for better than around 40% off what going rate on eBay would be.  No $200 near mint Masters or PFTs or anything like that.  More like $200 for a almost complete but thrashed '84 Haro FST that needs paint and is missing the most expensive original parts like the tires and seat, or $200 for a near mint asian Taj frame with a used standard forks and a quill Redneck.  Or $500 for a complete Pro Raider with tons of hutch parts.  See $500 sounds like a lot but obviously a complete American pro raider with no damage and lots of hutch parts is worth more than $500.

There seem to be two ways I end up getting "really good deals"; 
1.When the bike is nearly complete and has no damage like cracks or dents but might have a few surface rust spots, might have f-ed up decals or need entirely new paint.  The bike will look rough so the seller won't be seeing $$$ in his eyes like if it was still crispy.
2. When a collector is selling off some/all of his collection for whatever reason.  If he "needs" money you can get complete bikes, usually choice models, for pretty cheap especially if you bundle a few. 

Again what is a "score?"  Is it a very rough but complete 88 Performer missing the seat, tires, and bars for $75 from a broke college student who wondered into your shop?  Or is it a mostly all original fully restored blue accent 85 Californian for $500 that you buy from a collector that needs money for his kid to go to that same college?

This is very true! You always have to keep your eye out. I’ve slowed down on buying for the last year but have stumbled on to a few good buys. And holy shit! I forgot about trading times, I remember reading those when I was younger.

Last edited by getnbze (2018-03-31 6:19am)

Looking for Midschool race and DK stuff.

I hoard a ton of stuff and may trade some for something else lol. PM me what you have

#39 2018-03-31 6:11am

getnbze
Pro Member

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/12006/1b3d73f5-de98-4fc6-8d83-a71eeed79caf5abf89086c.jpeg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/12006/6cf24f4d-794f-4296-ab3e-5602900cdaca5abf890869.jpeg

I hoard a ton of stuff and may trade some for something else lol. PM me what you have

#40 2018-03-31 6:15am

getnbze
Pro Member

A buddies truck needed worked on and took this in trade. So you never know where they come up lol

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/12006/d30c7ed6-e209-4cb4-889e-d7e38c4eeba95abf895aed.jpeg

#41 2018-03-31 7:02am

kalel92198
Pro MemberUnleash The Beast
Bikes: 13

Wyatt'sWorld wrote:

I keep hearing Facebook is where it’s at for scores and fair deals. I wouldn’t know, deleted my account probably 10 years ago! Those FB folks are unstable! lol

+1000

Slap a tampon in it and call it a day!
ISO:85 mcs styler f/f
Nbd Kattsclawws67
Trades: back spin for front spin
Front steel pro class wheel for Gt fork

#42 2018-03-31 8:15am

Garcia_58
Pro MemberBeg
Bikes: 39
For Sale: 19

Kurt_Rad wrote:

I love going on vacation. I bring stuff home every year.

Checking for hotels in Cochrane...

I am not of this world ----- 1978 GLJ 1979 DG Racer

#43 2018-04-03 2:57am

Yungavalanche80
Banned

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/237154/152274924264420291794885ac34f6651.jpg
Top secret since..... (1980 ))))bmx ((race)))food moms .....secret recipe

#44 2018-04-03 3:03am

kalel92198
Pro MemberUnleash The Beast

Yard sales and scrap yards. The occasional Craigslist and eBay scores. You have to do all four. I picked up an old redline for 20 bucks with profile cranks on Craigslist, a 87 haro sport from the scrap pile, a full suspension trek for 50 bucks at a yard sale, and a redline rl20b frame off of eBay for 75 bucks. You just have to keep those eyeballs peeled.

Last edited by kalel92198 (2018-04-03 3:05am)

Slap a tampon in it and call it a day!
ISO:85 mcs styler f/f
Nbd Kattsclawws67
Trades: back spin for front spin
Front steel pro class wheel for Gt fork

#45 2018-04-03 7:31am

LaughnJar
Pro MemberMuseum Lawyer
Bikes: 2

troynlori wrote:

I just hang out around Taco Bell Dumpsters.  That's from where the best scores come.

BMX bike scores, not Barely MeXican food bro.  lol

Peace

HUTCH please, neat or on the rocks;  black'n'chrome or chrome'n'black, pure and unadulterated...like savoring a 20 year old single malt Scotch.  If I wanted a candy color flavor, I'd have ordered a glass of Haro.

"Stop the car, I'm gettin' out.  I can't take it.  Hey look out there's somebody coming
And there's nothin' you can do about it!"

#46 2018-04-03 7:37am

Eric DeCastro
Museum Addict
Website

it's about networking.  it's the same as finding parts for the vintage car.  You go out and meet people (no on the internet) you go out and talk to people.  I used to ask people if they had BMX bikes from their child hood.  that is how I got for free, an 83 GT Pro, dyno VFR, powerlite and some random frame that I don't even know what I did with.  it's starting to get more rare to find them.  people talk and say hey you know you can get like $1500 for your old bike.  yeah dumbasses are buying them for top dollar.  so the $100-$200 mongoose californian are going for $900 and up. good luck with your search.  there are a few techniques I use when searching but i'm not telling.

Righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.

#47 2018-04-03 7:38am

Eric DeCastro
Museum Addict
Website

spyker wrote:

STREETBEATBEAST wrote:

spyker wrote:

I'm from the hood and we take what we want....THUG LYFE!!!!!!!

Gangsta!

Righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.

#48 2018-04-03 8:09am

Peace12
Pro Member

troynlori wrote:

Crazy Hutch scores.

#49 2018-04-03 8:31am

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 74

BMXmonsters wrote:

Disclaimer first!  This is by far the best BMX site available and I love it.  Admins, we appreciate everything you do. 

Other than here, where do you find your bikes and parts?  I've tried the obvious...  ebay,  craigslist,  garage sales.  Anyone have successes elsewhere?   

Not all of us have access to estate sales or the lucky barn finds.  Would love a lead to other auction sites, etc.

well besides what you all ready listed good will at rare times works. but property room . com works or good deals on newer school bmx and mid school, on pink bike web site.wink

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

Board footer

View Cart →