You are not logged in.

Is midschool demand increasing?  RSS Feed

#76 2019-03-07 5:48pm

spyker
Pro Member

Re: Is midschool demand increasing?

AJ Macaroo wrote:

spyker wrote:

This person can list it for whatever they want,but I doubt it will sell for this price.

It's not even the made in the USA version either. You can tell by chainstays. Hey the guy can try sell for whatever price he wants but only a fool would spend that much for that bundle. There was a mint brand new never built USA made engraved SN yellow one on the swap meet not that long ago for a grand. That's fair if you ask me considering what the retail was on them bitd. I bought two brand new and still have one in my possession that will be built later this year. Really are special frames in my eyes. Hope they don't retro them...lol!

The owner is a typical ebay seller,trying to straight rip someone off.These frames were expensive bitd,but it don't mean they are worth that much.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!
never unarmed!
#VOGR
no fijindus

#77 2019-03-07 7:25pm

AJ Macaroo
Pro MemberThe Professor
Bikes: 6

Spintech wrote:

AJ Macaroo wrote:

spyker wrote:

This person can list it for whatever they want,but I doubt it will sell for this price.

It's not even the made in the USA version either. You can tell by chainstays. Hey the guy can try sell for whatever price he wants but only a fool would spend that much for that bundle. There was a mint brand new never built USA made engraved SN yellow one on the swap meet not that long ago for a grand. That's fair if you ask me considering what the retail was on them bitd. I bought two brand new and still have one in my possession that will be built later this year. Really are special frames in my eyes. Hope they don't retro them...lol!

I got lucky and found this one..  https://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/318762
It has "Kinesis USA" stamp, but is it USA made?

Screaming deal right there. I believe the Kinesis examples were fabed in the USA even though they are a international company headquarters overseas.

Last edited by AJ Macaroo (2019-03-07 7:32pm)

#78 2019-03-07 7:35pm

getnbze
Pro Member
Bikes: 21
For Sale: 1

Hoarding a bunch of Midschool race here!!! Is there anything else? lol

Looking for Midschool race and DK stuff.
Want to buy:
GT Mohawks Made in USA
Bomber pads and number plates
DK pads
GT Overdrive 5 hole

#79 2019-03-07 8:24pm

perront
Pro MemberPolitics Can KISS My ASS
Bikes: 23

Spintech wrote:

From a passerby's perspective, my opinion of Powerlite is that is was a boring brand. I remember opening BMX Plus mags in the 90's and seeing pages upon pages of Dwight Tardy and Donnie Nelson with the same polished Powerlite bikes. 90's was all about ANODIZED colors with wild, always changing logos. Think GT/Dyno/Auburn with seemingly different themes each year. When you show the same polished Powerlite with the same logo over and over, it gets old; Especially when on the next page was an Auburn with the candy purple and deep green frames, colorful JAD stems and T1000's.

I definitely see your point.  For me, though, the polished (and yellow) P-51s and P-61s looked better than pretty much everything else:

A bit off topic, but Dwight Tardy was on Powerlite during this time?  I remember him on Haro, along with the likes of Kiyomi Waller, George Andrews, Ryan McTaggart, and the ultra talented Andre Ellison.

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentFree AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonPowerlitePowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksmanGT!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#80 2019-03-07 8:32pm

Museum Addict
Bikes: 2

Midschool is OS to the 30 somethings coming up wanting to revive their youth. Supply and demand.  Maybe  20 years from now a walgoose might be worth more than scrap weight tongue

It's yours. Do what you want with it smile Planting seeds is better then tearing up trees.

#81 2019-03-08 8:01am

jray02r1
Pro Member
Bikes: 34
For Sale: 4

1979 wrote:

Maybe  20 years from now a walgoose might be worth more than scrap weight tongue

lol probably not much.  The 80's dept store bikes still hold like no value.

#82 2019-03-08 1:01pm

Spintech
Pro MemberMinimalist hoarder
Bikes: 4

perront wrote:

A bit off topic, but Dwight Tardy was on Powerlite during this time?  I remember him on Haro, along with the likes of Kiyomi Waller, George Andrews, Ryan McTaggart, and the ultra talented Andre Ellison.

Yes! He was like 10 when he rode for Powerlite in the early 90's. I remember watching him and thinking, man this kid was FAST! If you google his name, it says he even played college football but I don't think he ever made it to the pros.  https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=648514

-Joe

#83 2019-03-08 1:16pm

CustardLips
Pro MemberGoodbye Blue Sky
Bikes: 6

bullseyejunkie wrote:

100%. I swapped over from collecting old school to mid a long time ago now and haven't looked back.

Me too... early 90's XL framesets all day long for me... greater stability, extra leg room and killer parts. cool

Interested in anything Hyper Metro related...
Hyper bars
Hyper hubs
Hyper/GPR plates
Hyper pads                                    WWG1WGA

#84 2019-03-08 2:33pm

Pro street SS
Intermediate

How long until mid school prices drop? big_smile Will they drop? yikes

Wanted: Washburn Dimebag guitars
I'm willing to sell or trade just about anything I have for these

#85 2019-03-08 9:12pm

perront
Pro MemberPolitics Can KISS My ASS
Bikes: 23

Spintech wrote:

perront wrote:

Yes! He was like 10 when he rode for Powerlite in the early 90's. I remember watching him and thinking, man this kid was FAST! If you google his name, it says he even played college football but I don't think he ever made it to the pros.  https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=648514

Good to know.  Thanks for sharing!

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentFree AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonPowerlitePowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksmanGT!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#86 2019-03-09 2:24am

kidbazooka1
Pro Member
Bikes: 7

Airplanes&BMX wrote:

Spintech wrote:

Btw, anyone see how much Haro Monocoques are going for these days? Not for the faint of heart.

Yeah 6500 lol
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-HARO-MONOC … SwQZVcGcSA

I don’t care how expensive they are those things are butt ugly.

#87 2019-03-09 6:40am

ABA180
Pro MemberCandy Apples

Wyatt'sWorld wrote:

BMXRestorations wrote:

I just recently got back into BMX. I'm more of a collector and restorer now. Due to neck issues I won't be doing many tricks. I bought a few mid school stuff and mostly GT models. These are gaining in popularity. A couple of the bikes I have will be retro builds that will use correct mid school decals. I'm doing an Eddie Fiola tribute bike. I want to do a day-glow pink GT. I have a 92 Dyno Compe I'm restoring. I may keep that bike as I liked it back in the day. Almost bought one from a friend.

I see prices all over the place. I saw a 2000-01 GT performer that had a bidding war. I think it sold over $300. Not sure why because there are a few of them on eBay.

Auction setting makes people do stupid things. I sometimes bid on auction items that I’m looking for that I can also purchase buy it now. I watch the auction and see where it goes, most times the auction sale goes higher than the buy it now item cost. Just the rush of the bid I guess.

This.  I've gone to car auctions since I was 6 years old and seen it so many times, regardless of the item. 

I'll never forget one time, a 10 yr old Chevy Citation.  Basic transportation and it had high miles but had 4 good tires and some other parts, I figured I'd grab it cheap.  2 people just wanted it so bad it sold for 700 bucks, which is what it was worth really..but they had no clue if it started, drove, etc.  Could have bought one privately instead.

Am I Beast Or Am I Human..Am I Just Like You?

#88 2019-03-09 6:41am

ABA180
Pro MemberCandy Apples

I think too the mid 90's stuff on won't hold the same relative value of the older stuff. 

Look at Star Wars stuff as a parallel.  The stuff from the 80s everyone opened, played with, lost parts, broke, etc.  When the prequels came out in the late 90s everyone was buying one to play with and one to throw in a box to save.

Am I Beast Or Am I Human..Am I Just Like You?

#89 2019-03-09 9:40am

Jasonwisher1987
Museum Addict
Bikes: 1

I'm only hoarding all the good stuff lol

Always looking for late 90's and early 2000's midschool goodness! *S&M* *Solid* *We The People* *Terrible One* *FIT* *2-HIP* *FBM* *Snafu* *Animal* *Demolition* *Odyssey* *KINK* *Metal*

#90 2019-03-09 12:34pm

pep
"The inappropriate gentleman"
Bikes: 15

not all of it.............big_smile

#91 2019-03-09 2:18pm

sawdoff85
Pro MemberFontino Salami
For Sale: 10

1979 wrote:

Midschool is OS to the 30 somethings coming up wanting to revive their youth. Supply and demand.  Maybe  20 years from now a walgoose might be worth more than scrap weight tongue

What I'm thinking.

You know who you are.
*! Seeking one red anno platform pedal and one blue anno platform pedal, 1/2, all help is appreciated!*

Iso: bi-oval predator forks, vp-666 pedals,  bullet proof stuff, 85-86 schwinn black shadow f+f, double drop forks
ALL AMERICAN MADE MID SCHOOL PARTS, SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT

#92 2020-04-01 2:15pm

BarryLegg

Sorry for necro-ing an old thread with such a general question - but what is the general attitude to dropouts opened up from 10 to 14mm? I mean, how much does this impact on the desirability of a mid school frame? Even if it was done well?

Looking for Standard Byke Co. gear in the UK. Get in touch with offers.

#93 2020-04-01 3:16pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 83
For Sale: 2

Jasonwisher1987 wrote:

I'm only hoarding all the good stuff lol

but good to you might not seem like good stuff to others.hmm

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#94 2020-04-01 3:20pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 83
For Sale: 2

BarryLegg wrote:

Sorry for necro-ing an old thread with such a general question - but what is the general attitude to dropouts opened up from 10 to 14mm? I mean, how much does this impact on the desirability of a mid school frame? Even if it was done well?

should not hurt it if done well but a hack job would. but some 70's and 80's frames got modified. did not hut their value or collectible desire. in fact it some times help. like say modded Schwinn sting ray frames VS a stock un touched frame.

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#95 2020-04-01 3:37pm

BarryLegg

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

should not hurt it if done well but a hack job would. but some 70's and 80's frames got modified. did not hut their value or collectible desire. in fact it some times help. like say modded Schwinn sting ray frames VS a stock un touched frame.

Thanks man that’s interesting. To be clear my question was really about mid-school frames. Reason I asked is I watched a certain frame go for a decent price just recently while at the same time another example of the exact same frame, (with forks as well) failed to get even a single bid.

The only thing different was the frame that didn’t sell had its dropouts opened up, but from the photos and description the job was done well.

I know people prefer dropouts left as they were, but I didn’t think it was that much of a deal breaker...

Looking for Standard Byke Co. gear in the UK. Get in touch with offers.

#96 2020-04-01 4:16pm

HempKnight
Intermediate

Just picked up one of my personal 'grail' frames (now have 4 to build lol this is addictive) a 98' kHE premium lager, just need to find an S&M menstrual cycle, and a 97' Hoffman condor with the gold bars (god I wanted that one badly as a kid) cool

It's also nice to able to afford all the high end after market parts I used to drool over in the magazines.

#97 2020-04-01 4:50pm

Devilbrad
Pro Member
Website

I keep my eye out for mid school stuff all the time.  Mostly S&M, Kink, and FBM.

82 Cycle Pro Macho 83 Mongoose Californian 85 Haro Sport 86 Redline 500c 87 Haro FST Two 87 General Hustler Fred Bloods 2011 2hip Playboi 2020 S&M Holy Diver

Board footer

View Cart →