You are not logged in.

Is midschool demand increasing?  RSS Feed

#51 2018-03-21 12:00pm

cbrstar
Pro Member

Re: Is midschool demand increasing?

happyshark wrote:

im at a lost with mid school . i road mid school as a kid and now it all i own with sum new school i dont see how some of the stuff is in high demand and other is trash i thru up in my mouth yesterday when i saw an aubrn for 1200 that the same as a new crupi yikes .maybe some one can draw me a map  but i cant even to begain to figer out what hot and what not in mid schools sorry for the rant but were the hell is all the parts  any did my gen brake it all  big_smile

I know what you mean as I rode in the 90's as well. One bike I don't understand is Powerlite. Back in the 90's if you had a Powerlite you really had something special. Everyone of my friends wanted one and the few of my friends who did would brag about it non-stop. Yet now days they go for almost nothing and they are great bikes.

#52 2018-03-21 12:38pm

happyshark
Pro MemberWelcome To The ThunderDome!
Bikes: 15
For Sale: 18

cbrstar wrote:

happyshark wrote:

im at a lost with mid school . i road mid school as a kid and now it all i own with sum new school i dont see how some of the stuff is in high demand and other is trash i thru up in my mouth yesterday when i saw an aubrn for 1200 that the same as a new crupi yikes .maybe some one can draw me a map  but i cant even to begain to figer out what hot and what not in mid schools sorry for the rant but were the hell is all the parts  any did my gen brake it all  big_smile

I know what you mean as I rode in the 90's as well. One bike I don't understand is Powerlite. Back in the 90's if you had a Powerlite you really had something special. Everyone of my friends wanted one and the few of my friends who did would brag about it non-stop. Yet now days they go for almost nothing and they are great bikes.

ya it was the same here and elf,iron hourse was big but elf broke all the time yikes

Looking For Dk passport or 97 gl frame

#53 2018-03-21 12:40pm

sycmatt
Pro Member
Bikes: 1
Website

I don't know. It's all very relative I suppose. I rode back in the early eighties as a kid and until my early teenage years here in the UK and in hindsight, I wouldn't go near old school stuff now. They rode like shit and broke for fun. After about 7 years away from riding, I got back into it in about 97 and I haven't stopped since.

Midschool stuff had way more charachter and thought put into them. I was lucky and managed to hold on to most of my frames that I bought and personally rode. Components came and went but I couldn't part with most of my frames. Broken or otherwise. Not being a kid in the late nineties and having full time jobs allowed me to buy the higher end stuff. I went US made for ten years until an FBM let me down. That's besides the point though.

I started restoring my collection of frames and that in itself has turned into a nice little side hobby for when I'm not actually riding. So far, it consists of a 98 2Hip Pork, 98 Kink Empire (gen 1. 100 made), 99 Metal Bikes Kizz (gen 1. 50 made), 99 2Hip Soul, 01 Solid Bikes Killing Machine, 01 Metal Bikes Burma, 01 Standard Bykes Cashius, 01 S&M Bikes Beringer, 04 FBM Autopilot.

The ones on bold are the ones I rode personally. The others were impulse buys or I sought them out. I rode a couple of Sundays too but I consider them as new school. And I'm currently riding a custom Standard 250S with a couple of parts that are a nod to the midschool like a layback Primo Rod, S&M Marvin's Guts, Tioga FS100 tyres, a GT Dropnose seat and a Tech 77 lever.

As for anticipating a midschool gold-rush. Those who rode that era are less likely to try and rinse the market I think. Sure, there will be some but not to the same degree as the old schoolers.   

By the way, I'm on the hunt for a Kink Phantom Lord! wink

Nothing to see here. Move along.

#54 2018-03-21 1:28pm

cbrstar
Pro Member

sycmatt wrote:

I don't know. It's all very relative I suppose. I rode back in the early eighties as a kid and until my early teenage years here in the UK and in hindsight, I wouldn't go near old school stuff now. They rode like shit and broke for fun. After about 7 years away from riding, I got back into it in about 97 and I haven't stopped since.

Midschool stuff had way more charachter and thought put into them. I was lucky and managed to hold on to most of my frames that I bought and personally rode. Components came and went but I couldn't part with most of my frames. Broken or otherwise. Not being a kid in the late nineties and having full time jobs allowed me to buy the higher end stuff. I went US made for ten years until an FBM let me down. That's besides the point though.

I started restoring my collection of frames and that in itself has turned into a nice little side hobby for when I'm not actually riding. So far, it consists of a 98 2Hip Pork, 98 Kink Empire (gen 1. 100 made), 99 Metal Bikes Kizz (gen 1. 50 made), 99 2Hip Soul, 01 Solid Bikes Killing Machine, 01 Metal Bikes Burma, 01 Standard Bykes Cashius, 01 S&M Bikes Beringer, 04 FBM Autopilot.

The ones on bold are the ones I rode personally. The others were impulse buys or I sought them out. I rode a couple of Sundays too but I consider them as new school. And I'm currently riding a custom Standard 250S with a couple of parts that are a nod to the midschool like a layback Primo Rod, S&M Marvin's Guts, Tioga FS100 tyres, a GT Dropnose seat and a Tech 77 lever.

As for anticipating a midschool gold-rush. Those who rode that era are less likely to try and rinse the market I think. Sure, there will be some but not to the same degree as the old schoolers.   

I think your post in a way shows why midschool may never have the demand that oldschool does. One thing I've noticed is the guys who are willing to spend the most money on a bike, are the ones who want their old bike from BITD. Even if that means it was a crappy dept store bike. Millions of people had a GT so you have millions of people wanting a GT to sell to. Where as with all your bikes with the extremely low production runs there only going to be at most a 100 people out there who had one and want to replace it so you have to sell to other connoisseurs.

#55 2018-03-21 1:38pm

sycmatt
Pro Member
Website

cbrstar wrote:

sycmatt wrote:

I think your post in a way shows why midschool may never have the demand that oldschool does. One thing I've noticed is the guys who are willing to spend the most money on a bike, are the ones who want their old bike from BITD. Even if that means it was a crappy dept store bike. Millions of people had a GT so you have millions of people wanting a GT to sell to. Where as with all your bikes with the extremely low production runs there only going to be at most a 100 people out there who had one and want to replace it so you have to sell to other connoisseurs.

Agreed. I'll let my kids decide the future of my collection......when I'm dead! lol

Nothing to see here. Move along.

#56 2018-03-21 2:36pm

slammer92
Expert

It’s taken me years to find most of the Hoffman stuff I have. I was kicked off of here for almost two years fighting over this stuff. The last few months http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/46458/df63ebf7-dc53-402f-903c-f830ba05923a5ab2d040d4.jpeg
I have been finding some rare stuff on here glad to be back.

#57 2018-03-21 8:59pm

rmeneses
Pro Member
Bikes: 10

Um...

"Stupidity should be painful"

#58 2018-03-21 10:02pm

92 Redline Platinum
Centurion Member

Definitely. I have seen it in action within the last 5 years

#59 2018-03-22 3:18pm

Xquzit10
Museum Newbie

I am in my 40's and would love to spend some disposable income on a Homeless Mack.
I sold mine in 93 to a guy in Korea.

#60 2018-03-22 3:47pm

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member“The Hammer”
Bikes: 75
For Sale: 3
Website

I love midschool
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/56126/img_38835a9df01319.jpg

Like everything my friend, you a just a means to an end...

[img]http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/56126/9d4c6707-718c-4ec3-9aeb-aef1bc82caa95c467c81b65cd1c79e64.jpg[/img]

#61 2018-03-22 4:22pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 74

ya look under my bikes, you can see I have cough / got the mid school bug.

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#62 2018-03-22 4:26pm

Spintech
Pro MemberMinimalist hoarder
Bikes: 4
For Sale: 2

Harodave4130 wrote:

Anyway, just wondering if any of you are hoarding The midschool stuff in preparation of the inevitable demand?

I'm hoarding midschool for myself, not to sell. 1990-98 was my youth and I'm keeping all the memories.

-Joe

#63 2018-04-02 7:19pm

hdogg21
Pro MemberMid-Schooler

Spintech wrote:

Harodave4130 wrote:

Anyway, just wondering if any of you are hoarding The midschool stuff in preparation of the inevitable demand?

I'm hoarding midschool for myself, not to sell. 1990-98 was my youth and I'm keeping all the memories.

So that's where all the stuff I'm looking for is! Hoarder! lol

Want To Buy: Purple flame 24" Odyssey T-1000 rims 36H / Crupi Pro round or square pedals and Red cages

#64 2019-03-07 8:22am

Stingray77
Bikes: 2

I’ve wanted S&M marvin gutz my whole life & haven’t found them yet. 
I’m not a pro member and have no credit card & I’m afraid I’ll never find them.

#65 2019-03-07 8:36am

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member“The Hammer”
Bikes: 75
Website

Stingray77 wrote:

You’re probably right

Like everything my friend, you a just a means to an end...

[img]http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/56126/9d4c6707-718c-4ec3-9aeb-aef1bc82caa95c467c81b65cd1c79e64.jpg[/img]

#66 2019-03-07 9:14am

perront
Pro MemberThe Red Dog of The Hills
Bikes: 20

cbrstar wrote:

happyshark wrote:

I agree 100%.  GT, Robinson, and Auburn have all gotten their due without argument.  Powerlite is, overall, my favorite brand, and has been since I saw my first one back in '83.  Even when I first started buying high end bikes in the mid 90s, Powerlite magazine ads were the ones that always got my attention.  With mid school racers such as Danny Nelson, Mario Soto, Randy Stumpfhauser, Donnie Robinson, and Robert Pierce, they even had a great team.  It's as if Powerlite is the guy in the room who has a big ass booger on his face, but doesn't know it.

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonRobinson
PowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksman!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#67 2019-03-07 9:15am

perront
Pro MemberThe Red Dog of The Hills
Bikes: 20

Kurt_Rad wrote:

Stingray77 wrote:

You’re probably right

lol

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonRobinson
PowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksman!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#68 2019-03-07 11:00am

pep
Pro Member"The inappropriate gentleman"
Bikes: 15

yep, definitely on the rise. How about the specialized s-works market???? Currently taking that beating......

#69 2019-03-07 12:44pm

Spintech

From a passerby's perspective, my opinion of Powerlite is that is was a boring brand. I remember opening BMX Plus mags in the 90's and seeing pages upon pages of Dwight Tardy and Donnie Nelson with the same polished Powerlite bikes. 90's was all about ANODIZED colors with wild, always changing logos. Think GT/Dyno/Auburn with seemingly different themes each year. When you show the same polished Powerlite with the same logo over and over, it gets old; Especially when on the next page was an Auburn with the candy purple and deep green frames, colorful JAD stems and T1000's.

-Joe

#70 2019-03-07 12:47pm

Spintech

Btw, anyone see how much Haro Monocoques are going for these days? Not for the faint of heart.

-Joe

#71 2019-03-07 12:54pm

Airplanes&BMX
Pro Member
Bikes: 3

Spintech wrote:

Btw, anyone see how much Haro Monocoques are going for these days? Not for the faint of heart.

Yeah 6500 lol
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-HARO-MONOC … SwQZVcGcSA

To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering.

#72 2019-03-07 1:02pm

rodney4130
Museum Newbie

Seems like the high end race bikes are all pretty crazy.  I wasn't too interested in any of that back in the day, my tastes veered more toward Standard, Homeless, 2-Hip etc, so that's the stuff that catches my eye now.  I'm pretty shocked sometimes to see affordable Standards around sometimes.

#73 2019-03-07 1:08pm

spyker
Pro MemberDr. of Thuganonics

Airplanes&BMX wrote:

Spintech wrote:

Yeah 6500 lol

This person can list it for whatever they want,but I doubt it will sell for this price.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
Lying cheating untrustworthy scamming livestock screwing ugly crater face racist snitch!

#74 2019-03-07 1:28pm

AJ Macaroo
Pro MemberDeadlights Kustoms
Bikes: 5

spyker wrote:

Airplanes&BMX wrote:

Spintech wrote:

Yeah 6500 lol

This person can list it for whatever they want,but I doubt it will sell for this price.

It's not even the made in the USA version either. You can tell by chainstays. Hey the guy can try sell for whatever price he wants but only a fool would spend that much for that bundle. There was a mint brand new never built USA made engraved SN yellow one on the swap meet not that long ago for a grand. That's fair if you ask me considering what the retail was on them bitd. I bought two brand new and still have one in my possession that will be built later this year. Really are special frames in my eyes. Hope they don't retro them...lol!

I choose to let my BMX hustle speak for itself after all said and done...and I'm not even close to being done.

#75 2019-03-07 5:15pm

Spintech

AJ Macaroo wrote:

spyker wrote:

It's not even the made in the USA version either. You can tell by chainstays. Hey the guy can try sell for whatever price he wants but only a fool would spend that much for that bundle. There was a mint brand new never built USA made engraved SN yellow one on the swap meet not that long ago for a grand. That's fair if you ask me considering what the retail was on them bitd. I bought two brand new and still have one in my possession that will be built later this year. Really are special frames in my eyes. Hope they don't retro them...lol!

I got lucky and found this one..  https://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/318762
It has "Kinesis USA" stamp, but is it USA made?

-Joe

Board footer

View Cart →