You are not logged in.

2017 Hutch Trick Star  RSS Feed

#1 2018-03-13 10:05am

justlive
Pro MemberRemember remember the 80's forever
Bikes: 9
For Sale: 2

2017 Hutch Trick Star

http://bmxmuseum.com//image/img_20180312_1945369705aa802773b.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com//image/img_20180312_194940406_ll5aa803381d.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com//image/img_20180312_194823147_ll5aa80338da.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com//image/img_20180312_194624235_ll5aa80339a3.jpg

2017 Hutch Trick Star

2017 Hutch Trick Star f/f
Bars: Hutch Ladder
Grips: Ame Rounds
Levers: Dia-Compe Tech 77
Stem: Dk
Headset: Stolen Revolver
Gyro: Snafu
Brakes: Odyssey Springfield
Seat: Dominator
Seat Clamp: Haro Lineage Peregrine
Cranks: Redline Flight
Sprocket: Profile Blackjack
Pedals: KKT
Chain: Izumi
Wheels: Haro Sata Eclat Freecoaster
Tires: Odyssey Frequency G
Pegs: Shadow Conspiracy Little Ones

http://bmxmuseum.com/img/view-bike-in-museum.gif

-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

#2 2018-03-13 10:47am

crj1968
Pro Member
Bikes: 7
For Sale: 4

Re: 2017 Hutch Trick Star

17 Trickstar?  I did not know there was such a thing- Looks fantastic!

-Even worse than being frustrated, is to give up. Never give up!
-Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less. -C. S. Lewis

[img]https://www.mopars.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/vetsssss.png[/img]

#3 2018-03-13 11:07am

justlive

crj1968 wrote:

17 Trickstar?  I did not know there was such a thing- Looks fantastic!

Thanks man! Yep. First year was 2015. 2017 is the last year for these.

-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River

#4 2018-03-13 4:06pm

pkripper68bmx
Pro MemberOriginal Finish Only

Badass big_smilecool

#5 2018-03-13 5:08pm

justlive

pkripper68bmx wrote:

Badass big_smilecool

Thanks man!

#6 2018-03-13 7:36pm

wadeaminute
Pro Memberwadeayear
For Sale: 1

Congrats!
The rear brake cable is set up wrong - on purpose? You might have it working with the splitter on the lower cable stopping at the first cable guide, but it really would work better if you had the housing stop properly at the second guide (the one closer to the brake). The housing, as it is, is merely an anti-friction sleeve for the second cable guide the way you have it set up.
Also - I'd try some different pedals. But by all means - you do you.

#7 2018-03-14 10:35am

justlive

wadeaminute wrote:

Congrats!
The rear brake cable is set up wrong - on purpose? You might have it working with the splitter on the lower cable stopping at the first cable guide, but it really would work better if you had the housing stop properly at the second guide (the one closer to the brake). The housing, as it is, is merely an anti-friction sleeve for the second cable guide the way you have it set up.

Thanks man! Lol someone else already called me out on the rear cable lol I guess I just got lazy wink Gonna fix it this weekend though. As for the pedals, all I've ever ran was graphite's. My shins love them! tongue

#8 2018-03-14 1:20pm

wadeaminute
Pro Memberwadeayear

justlive wrote:

wadeaminute wrote:

Congrats!

Thanks man! Lol someone else already called me out on the rear cable lol I guess I just got lazy wink Gonna fix it this weekend though. As for the pedals, all I've ever ran was graphite's. My shins love them! tongue

The point with the pedals is not the material, it's the shape. KHE makes a pretty perfect MKS Graphite copy. And there are lots of DX-style plastic pedals.

#9 2018-03-14 3:51pm

justlive

wadeaminute wrote:

justlive wrote:

wadeaminute wrote:

Congrats!

The point with the pedals is not the material, it's the shape. KHE makes a pretty perfect MKS Graphite copy. And there are lots of DX-style plastic pedals.

Ahh, I gotcha. KKTs are what I ran bitd. I was actually going to try the KHEs but they were a little pricey. More than I wanted to spend anyway.

#10 2018-03-14 4:30pm

wadeaminute
Pro Memberwadeayear

justlive wrote:

wadeaminute wrote:

justlive wrote:

Ahh, I gotcha. KKTs are what I ran bitd. I was actually going to try the KHEs but they were a little pricey. More than I wanted to spend anyway.

You gotta do what feels right. Congrats again. I've been staring at a lavender one for about 14 months now, but just can't bring myself to do it.

#11 2018-03-14 6:11pm

justlive

Added the rear barrel adjuster smile
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/27998/img_20180314_210111112_ll5aa9c83432.jpg

#12 2018-03-14 6:14pm

justlive

wadeaminute wrote:

justlive wrote:

wadeaminute wrote:

You gotta do what feels right. Congrats again. I've been staring at a lavender one for about 14 months now, but just can't bring myself to do it.

Thanks man. So what's holding u back? Price? Or just not up to doing another build? I gotta say they're definitely worth the money. Even if u just get the f/f it's still a great deal at $500 considering most frames don't come with fork.

#13 2018-03-14 10:57pm

wadeaminute
Pro Memberwadeayear

justlive wrote:

wadeaminute wrote:

justlive wrote:

Thanks man. So what's holding u back? Price? Or just not up to doing another build? I gotta say they're definitely worth the money. Even if u just get the f/f it's still a great deal at $500 considering most frames don't come with fork.

I'm not aiming this at you - to be clear - but unlike most folks on this website, I actually haven't quit riding since 1980. I am not trying to re-capture my youth (I never left it behind), I didn't quit when I was old enough to drive and then came back to it during a mid-life crisis in my 40s. I build bikes to ride them. Hard, to the best of my (diminishing) ability. And bikes are 30 years better than in 1988. We left a lot of the bad stuff behind by 1990.
The JDB Trickstars look good, especially in lavender, but they weren't built to modern standards. Good enough to pedal around on, sure. And better than the 1980s bikes. But, to me, functionally, they come up short. The angles are wrong (for many, but not all), I bet that they are relatively heavy (none of the modern tubing alternatives / butting, etc.), and, ultimately, I think that they are more for show than for high-performance.
You can get much better frames and forks for cheaper. And I already have four BMX bikes.
They are sort of like Tuff Wheels to me: Look great, poor performance (as compared to what I'm used to using).
I think that all I really need is a can of custom lavender spray paint and a Hutch sticker pack, because ultimately, I only want a Trick Star for the look. (Function over fashion?) I might just paint one of my MacNeil frames and buy a set of Trick Star or Hollywood stickers for it. (Put a layer of fashion over the function and have both.)

Again, though - psyched for you. It's your dream bike and it will work perfectly for you. From the way that you've set it up, it seems that you were going for particular things and achieved these. I dig it.

#14 2018-03-15 5:01am

justlive

wadeaminute wrote:

justlive wrote:

wadeaminute wrote:

I'm not aiming this at you - to be clear - but unlike most folks on this website, I actually haven't quit riding since 1980. I am not trying to re-capture my youth (I never left it behind), I didn't quit when I was old enough to drive and then came back to it during a mid-life crisis in my 40s. I build bikes to ride them. Hard, to the best of my (diminishing) ability. And bikes are 30 years better than in 1988. We left a lot of the bad stuff behind by 1990.
The JDB Trickstars look good, especially in lavender, but they weren't built to modern standards. Good enough to pedal around on, sure. And better than the 1980s bikes. But, to me, functionally, they come up short. The angles are wrong (for many, but not all), I bet that they are relatively heavy (none of the modern tubing alternatives / butting, etc.), and, ultimately, I think that they are more for show than for high-performance.
You can get much better frames and forks for cheaper. And I already have four BMX bikes.
They are sort of like Tuff Wheels to me: Look great, poor performance (as compared to what I'm used to using).
I think that all I really need is a can of custom lavender spray paint and a Hutch sticker pack, because ultimately, I only want a Trick Star for the look. (Function over fashion?) I might just paint one of my MacNeil frames and buy a set of Trick Star or Hollywood stickers for it. (Put a layer of fashion over the function and have both.)

Again, though - psyched for you. It's your dream bike and it will work perfectly for you. From the way that you've set it up, it seems that you were going for particular things and achieved these. I dig it.

I hear ya man. That's great that you've kept riding all these years. Unfortunately I stopped in 89 when the scene changed. I let my surroundings tell me I needed to change instead of riding simply because I loved to ride. For the next 30yrs I would come back, leave, and come back. Sometimes I guess u just get sidetracked in life. It wasn't until recently that I realized how fast time goes by. So I decided I'm going to keep riding until I physically can't anymore. The hell with everything else. We all have responsibilities but it's doing what u love in between that matters most. So, I picked a bike I've always loved but that would also be functional for the type of riding I like to do. I can say that it's the most comfortable I've been on a new school/retro. And believe it or not it's actually lighter than my Subrosa was. Maybe even slightly light than my Grim Reaper? If not it's very close. Going to weigh it soon to see. I actually like your idea though. Get some decals and slap them on your favorite frame. There's no rules in Freestylin cool

#15 2018-03-15 11:09am

spyker
Pro MemberGunslingers Unite

So have you taken your new ride on a maiden voyage yet?

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength

Would you trust a lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?

#16 2018-03-15 5:21pm

justlive

spyker wrote:

So have you taken your new ride on a maiden voyage yet?

Ha, I was just about to pm u. Did u get the Master yet? I heard some are starting to show up. But not yet, hoping it gets warm this weekend. But I've sat on it alot lol

#17 2018-03-15 6:57pm

spyker
Pro MemberGunslingers Unite

Dude read the 2018 master thread and you will see my view on the topic.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength

Would you trust a lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?

#18 2018-03-16 7:13am

justlive

spyker wrote:

Dude read the 2018 master thread and you will see my view on the topic.

Just read it. Crazy man.

#19 2018-03-16 7:50am

made2drag
BMXer 4 Life
Bikes: 8

wadeaminute wrote:

justlive wrote:

wadeaminute wrote:

Buy the lavender frame and fork already!....GEESH!  ....  14 months with be 14 years soon, you ain't getting any younger!

Increase the Peace

#20 2018-03-16 8:22am

justlive

made2drag wrote:

wadeaminute wrote:

justlive wrote:

Buy the lavender frame and fork already!....GEESH!  ....  14 months with be 14 years soon, you ain't getting any younger!

tongue

#21 2018-06-03 2:34pm

outlawsofbmx86
Museum Newbie
Bikes: 1

how much did it cost to build?

Nightprowler at your service

Board footer

View Cart →