You are not logged in.

Let's talk Department Store Bikes from 1980's to the 1990's  RSS Feed

#1 2018-02-13 11:08am

BMXRestorations
Centurion Member

Let's talk Department Store Bikes from 1980's to the 1990's

I can remember bikes back in the day being department stores. They always caught my eye and made me stop and look and take a spin through the store on them. I thought they felt good but I would never buy them. I always saved up to get something else. Now that the BMX bug has bitten I am going back and trying to find all the ones that were in department stores.

I have found two bikes that are almost complete. I remember these bikes but I can't remember what store sold them and if they were good quality bikes.

Tell me about these bikes and other bikes from back in the day that were in department stores.

The two I am looking at right now are -

Sharp Freestyle

Sharp Neon Lights

General Fred Blood

Any decals reproduced for the bikes listed above?

I can remember seeing a Sharp in Roses department store. It was blue. I worked there at the time and road around on it and thought it felt smooth and nice. I can somewhat remember the Sharp Freestyle bike. I think Toy's R' Us had them. A friend and I road those around the store and were told to stop and leave.

So with all that being said, my memory is a bit foggy. How were these bikes? Anyone collect them? Are parts hard to find? What mag wheels did they use?

Tell me what department store bikes caught your eye back in the day and when did they become a no-no on buying.

#2 2018-02-13 11:27am

tacochris
Pro Member

Re: Let's talk Department Store Bikes from 1980's to the 1990's

I am a department store collector and have been collecting and studying them for years.  I have currently 2 Sharp Neon Lites in my collection.  I have a large number of others as well and the collection grows just about weekly.  Im here if you have any questions but here are some answers.
Sharp was mostly sold at Toys R Us and parts can be very hard to find since most of the "bike store" guys see it as junk and will nearly chunk it.  Decals are not made for nearly any department store bike short of the Huffy and Murray race versions so your smartest option is to find one complete and original or close to it.
Here are my Sharps:
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/235765/img_14065a833c1b23.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/235765/img_26345a833c2221.jpg

Just an oldschool minitrucker and bmx kid doing what i do....
Proud "Klunker" hater.....

"...I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol days...before you've actually left em..."      -Andy Bernard

#3 2018-02-13 11:34am

tacochris
Pro Member

BMXRestorations wrote:

I can remember bikes back in the day being department stores. They always caught my eye and made me stop and look and take a spin through the store on them. I thought they felt good but I would never buy them. I always saved up to get something else. Now that the BMX bug has bitten I am going back and trying to find all the ones that were in department stores.

I have found two bikes that are almost complete. I remember these bikes but I can't remember what store sold them and if they were good quality bikes.

Tell me about these bikes and other bikes from back in the day that were in department stores.

Sharp Freestyle

Sharp Neon Lights

General Fred Blood

I can remember seeing a Sharp in Roses department store. It was blue. I worked there at the time and road around on it and thought it felt smooth and nice. I can somewhat remember the Sharp Freestyle bike. I think Toy's R' Us had them. A friend and I road those around the store and were told to stop and leave.

So with all that being said, my memory is a bit foggy. How were these bikes? Anyone collect them? Are parts hard to find? What mag wheels did they use?

Tell me what department store bikes caught your eye back in the day and when did they become a no-no on buying.

I own almost every department store freestyler that has caught my eye at any point but I tell you what...you wont get a lot of love from this site on department store bikes as most guys laugh them off as junk or parts bikes.  My facebook page is called Department Store Hero's and we are thick with department store lovers but I will say most do not come on here for anything other than buying parts.

As far as the General goes I would not consider that one department store honestly as they made some very nice stuff.

"...I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol days...before you've actually left em..."      -Andy Bernard

#4 2018-02-13 12:47pm

BMXRestorations
Centurion Member

TaciChris, thank you! I will look for your page and be in contact with you. I am a collector and restorer who was taking to do the bikes I remember and liked or had and wanted. I think they all should be saved. They are a part of BMX history.

Your bikes look awesome. I have found a couple that are somewhat complete. I'm trying to work out a deal on them.

The General is one I remember but can't remember well. I had a stroke a few years ago so my memory is foggy.

What is the hardest parts to find?

#5 2018-02-13 12:54pm

tacochris
Pro Member

BMXRestorations wrote:

TaciChris, thank you! I will look for your page and be in contact with you. I am a collector and restorer who was taking to do the bikes I remember and liked or had and wanted. I think they all should be saved. They are a part of BMX history.

Your bikes look awesome. I have found a couple that are somewhat complete. I'm trying to work out a deal on them.

The General is one I remember but can't remember well. I had a stroke a few years ago so my memory is foggy.

That's what its all about brother....building the bikes YOU love and that's where you will find the most happiness.  I get questioned a lot as to why I waste my time on department store bikes and the simple answer is, because that's what I had as a kid and that's what I love.  Department Store Hero's is a welcoming page for all things department store and you should have no issue finding what you want on there or at least where to go.
As far as what is hard to find, just about anything that's missing honestly.  The odds of finding original Sharp freestyler parts is slim to none and about as east as finding another Sharp.  You stand a better chance of finding parts for a Huffy or a Murray because there was more sold in those and more popularity.

#6 2018-02-13 1:12pm

BMXRestorations
Centurion Member

I am in which enjoys the hunt too. I found a couple department store bikes I might pick up. My dad and I used to restore cars so this is something. We are doing together.

I like all the bikes. I remember them back in the day on the street and some I thought were higher end bikes were not. For the most part those I hung with and ride with didn't care. We just busted on each other where we couldn't pull a trick off.

I wanted a Haro Master and a GT Performer as a kid. GT was the bike that got me into freestyle. I couldn't afford them and my parents were not ones to just go out and buy whatever for me. I had to work and save for things. I was given options on birthdays. Cake or the money. As I got older I took the money and saved it. Same with Christmas. I would say save this year's Christmas money and I will work and sell some things to get why I really want. That's how I got a Mongoose Decade Pro team bike back in the day. Sole my Diamondback Hot Streak and some other items and used Christmas and birthday money and bout it. My parents taught me a valuable lesson.

I look forward to being a part of your Facebook group. I just sent a request. I hope to get excepted soon.

I am also one that isn't above adding better parts or modern parts to bikes to enjoy.

#7 2018-02-13 1:48pm

DIPSOMANIAC
AdminALCOHOL YA LATER!
Bikes: 6

tacochris wrote:

My facebook page is called Department Store Hero's and we are thick with department store lovers but I will say most do not come on here for anything other than buying parts.

Request sent smile

I'm letting the liquor do most of the thinking.....

***If you sell here take a minute to update your buyer!***
***If you buy here have some patience, this isn't Amazon, it's a hobby to most.***

#8 2018-02-13 1:50pm

tacochris
Pro Member

DIPSOMANIAC wrote:

tacochris wrote:

My facebook page is called Department Store Hero's and we are thick with department store lovers but I will say most do not come on here for anything other than buying parts.

Request sent smile

Just went and approved ya brother.  Have fun....

#9 2018-02-13 3:12pm

justlive
Pro MemberRemember remember the 80's forever
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 4

Some of my favorite department store bikes from bitd. I actually owned a Sigma and Pro Thunder bitd as well.

Huffy Sigma
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/27998/sigma7_zps88782367.jpg.cf5a837094b6.jpg

Huffy Stu Thompson
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/27998/img_3438_blowup.jpg.cf5a8370b3f1.jpg

Huffy Pro Thunder
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/27998/pro3_copy5_lg.jpg.cf5a8370d045.jpg

Team Murray
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/27998/thumb_img_4491_1024558815b350_lg.jpg.cf5a8370e01e.jpg

-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

#10 2018-02-13 4:04pm

eastcoaststeve
Pro Member
Bikes: 16
For Sale: 1
Website

I love this one.

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/31445/img_14831-15a837d1746.jpg

Always looking for Gack and Spooky stuff.....

#11 2018-02-13 4:22pm

BMXRestorations
Centurion Member

Awesome bikes guys. I have been seeing some Sigma bikes lately. I dig them but know nothing about them.

Justlive did they come with rotors?

TacoChris thank you!

Nice bike eastcoaststeve. Is that one yours?

#12 2018-02-13 5:39pm

eastcoaststeve
Pro Member
Website

BMXRestorations wrote:

Awesome bikes guys. I have been seeing some Sigma bikes lately. I dig them but know nothing about them.

TacoChris thank you!

Yes sir.
Took me forever to find one to replace the one I beat into the ground as a kid.

Steve

#13 2018-02-13 5:51pm

blammo585
Pro MemberDyno Lover!
Bikes: 2

I think I remember seeing the Sigma. If I'm not mistaken it was in K Mart.

#14 2018-02-13 5:53pm

BMXRestorations
Centurion Member

I think Sigma might have been a K-Mart brand bike back in the day.

Steve that is awesome you found one. If only we had known back in the day. I think we would have still beat them into the ground.

#15 2018-02-13 5:59pm

eastcoaststeve
Pro Member
Website

BMXRestorations wrote:

I think Sigma might have been a K-Mart brand bike back in the day.

Steve that is awesome you found one. If only we had known back in the day. I think we would have still beat them into the ground.

Ha, I would absolutely have still whooped on it. I'm pretty sure my original one came from either Kiddie City or Korvettes.

I rode this one around a show in NJ last summer...lots of laughs and thumbs ups.

Steve

#16 2018-02-13 6:01pm

justlive

BMXRestorations wrote:

TacoChris thank you!

Nope, no rotor. They may have been sold at Kmart but I bought mine on clearance for $82 at Cooks Dept store in 1986. Which was originally Uncle Bills. Both eventually became Hills and finally Ames.

-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River

#17 2018-02-13 8:17pm

BMXRestorations
Centurion Member

I remember Ames. That is where I have seen them. We had an Ames in the area for a few years and I used to check out the bikes when we went.

#18 2018-02-14 5:18am

justlive

BMXRestorations wrote:

I remember Ames. That is where I have seen them. We had an Ames in the area for a few years and I used to check out the bikes when we went.

Yep, Ames, Gold Circle, Zayers, Best, Woolworths, Montgomery  Ward, Kmart etc. Great stores. Great memories.

#19 2018-02-14 6:22am

tacochris
Pro Member

Some of my favorite ones i currently own

Huffy Super Street
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/235765/image5a84454c19.jpg

Kent Rad Stylin
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/235765/image5a844582a5.jpg

Columbia 9.5
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/235765/image5a8445a5c5.jpg

Royce Union Flite
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/235765/image5a8445d2cd.jpg

Supercycle Air Cruiz
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/235765/image5a84460942.jpg

Vagabond
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/235765/image5a84462d59.jpg

#20 2018-02-14 8:11am

Quattrotakis
Pro Member
Bikes: 6

Old reliable. I set all sorts of dirt jumping records with one of these.  I believe it came from Sears.

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/230731/ross5a845ee00b.jpg

If you dare me, I'll jump pretty much anything

#21 2018-02-14 8:31am

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 77

tacochris wrote:

BMXRestorations wrote:

Sharp Freestyle

Sharp Neon Lights

General Fred Blood

I own almost every department store freestyler that has caught my eye at any point but I tell you what...you wont get a lot of love from this site on department store bikes as most guys laugh them off as junk or parts bikes.  My facebook page is called Department Store Hero's and we are thick with department store lovers but I will say most do not come on here for anything other than buying parts.

As far as the General goes I would not consider that one department store honestly as they made some very nice stuff.

yes Same with Hutch some department stores like Target Sears and Gemco. carried a special made Hutch low end model. but nobody would call hutch a department store bike brand. IE a brand not popular enough to get a parking space. on a bike shops sales floor. but there were some really well made D.S.B. they just did not have the big time funds. for advertisement in magazines. like say GT or Diamond Back . so bike shop new little about them. there for the only place that. gave them a shot at selling one. was department stores.

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#22 2018-02-14 8:40am

FRESSTYLE FREEK

tacochris wrote:

BMXRestorations wrote:

That's what its all about brother....building the bikes YOU love and that's where you will find the most happiness.  I get questioned a lot as to why I waste my time on department store bikes and the simple answer is, because that's what I had as a kid and that's what I love.  Department Store Hero's is a welcoming page for all things department store and you should have no issue finding what you want on there or at least where to go.
As far as what is hard to find, just about anything that's missing honestly.  The odds of finding original Sharp freestyler parts is slim to none and about as east as finding another Sharp.  You stand a better chance of finding parts for a Huffy or a Murray because there was more sold in those and more popularity.

plus a lot of entry level  well now bike comany's like say Diamond Back, Mongoose used the same parts. IE rotor, head set, forks, stem,cranks, bottom bracket and more. but do to most thinking say a Sharp, Hanter or  Street Hawk Mag mag pro were cheap department store junk. they chucked the frame. but do keep the parts for another bike brand restore. that makes it harder to save one of these.

#23 2018-02-14 8:48am

Draw
Pro MemberRev on the Redline
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 18

^this is true.

cheapo huffys and others used dia compe brakes and araya rims as well as other name brand parts on them. sadly, todays department store (walmart) bikes have none of the same parts of todays bike shop counterparts.

Last edited by Draw (2018-02-14 8:48am)

Light, Strong, Cheap ... Pick two

#24 2018-02-14 8:50am

cbrstar
Pro Member

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

tacochris wrote:

BMXRestorations wrote:

Sharp Freestyle

Sharp Neon Lights

General Fred Blood

yes Same with Hutch some department stores like Target Sears and Gemco. carried a special made Hutch low end model. but nobody would call hutch a department store bike brand. IE a brand not popular enough to get a parking space. on a bike shops sales floor. but there were some really well made D.S.B. they just did not have the big time funds. for advertisement in magazines. like say GT or Diamond Back . so bike shop new little about them. there for the only place that. gave them a shot at selling one. was department stores.

You mean the Hutch SEL 500? There's quite a few of them here in Canada... Just gonna borrow Dirty's catalogue page.
http://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/hutch1986sears1986springandsummercatalogue_lg.jpg

Here in the late 80's when Kuwahara was on it's way out we also had a lot of bikes like Kuwahara Hoppers, and Scamps being sold though Sears.

#25 2018-02-14 8:52am

FRESSTYLE FREEK

BMXRestorations wrote:

TacoChris thank you!

some did but most sigmas did not. I think it was a 1 year only thing. they tried.

Board footer

View Cart →