You are not logged in.

Is it that important to have an ORIGINAL vs having one made to order?  RSS Feed

#26 2018-01-01 1:46pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 65

Re: Is it that important to have an ORIGINAL vs having one made to order?

JUGGARNAUT wrote:

Im not up on my cryptic messages ,The first 1 made is original and all others afterwards,  are replicas?

yup all others are copy's  after the fist one. but most here only want real deal old ones. not retro or new school remakes of classic BMX. kind like what would you rather be seen driving say a 1965 ford mustang fast back or a 2017 Mustang fast back?? most would want the 1965.

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#27 2018-01-01 1:56pm

STREETBEATBEAST
Pro MemberSKYWAY SENSAI
Bikes: 1

It's the first day of the new year..lol
Nice discussions are an awesome thing smile

Heres my profound, life changing statement.
Lifes a bitch..PASS ME A BEER.

They're reacting and that's wonderful. It's better than them sitting there doing nothing. I say make them react - do whatever's in your power to move the audience, and if that's where it is, and there where it is with America, sex and violence, then I say project it.
ALICE COOPER

#28 2018-01-01 2:02pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK

JUGGARNAUT wrote:

I did in FACT catch the name ,almost 10 years ago,. that being said,  A NS version of an OS frame is not what I mean, I was pretty clear in my topic... is it that important to have an 84 Hutch TS vs a 17-18 COPY of that exact frame down to the tubing wall thickness?

well that kind stems or steers in the detection of   snutapeal sue they can buy a 2018 custom made 1 off Huffy thunder trail mono shock BMX and it would have better weld,better steal tubing, better shock and better made other parts. but that guy would all ways know it's not  a real. 79 Huffy. there for it has no snutaple / Snob appeal . IE they can't really Brag they Have a 1979 Huffy. all they have is a cheap copy. granted a  high price expensive well made copy / forgery . that would hold up better to riding it. but in there mind still they see a cheap copy. so it  for them just will not do. they have to have the real deal or nothing.

#29 2018-01-01 2:15pm

made2drag
BMXer 4 Life
Bikes: 8

I would prefer original in good shape even with some blemishes, over new re-pop.

re-pops are usually close but not exact. 

Re-pops are good if its a wear item... like AME grips or a remake tire or maybe even pedals.

Collectors usually want the original to be really close to NOS but have some signs that it isn't new.

Riders now a days will want a new version of a ride they had that now out performs but doesn't take away from the look.

A perfect survivor 87 Haro Master should pull more than a 2017/87 Haro master repop.  The repop might pull more than a scratched up survivor....but it depends on the buyer.  There again, if they want memories, they buy survivor.  If they want a wall hanger or a perfect specimen they might buy repop since it might be more cost effective.

Increase the Peace

#30 2018-01-01 2:22pm

STREETBEATBEAST
Pro MemberSKYWAY SENSAI

Reading the title of this thread..
If there was only one ever made as in the case of JAY MIRON's HOFFMAN PUNISHER..
Then if you want one, you don't have much of a choice but to buy a custom made/made to order.

ORIGINAL
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/36359/2abb6522-05f5-4fcb-b051-d1944af503fd-133-0000012a0caedaae_zps8815adf858345f3a135a4ab5aa5d.jpg

READY TO ORDER
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/36359/img_443459a0b7f5d55a4ab5d966.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/36359/limit-fabrications-bmx-mirron-replica-cover-15a4ab6b8e8.jpg

REPLICA/NOT OFFICIAL
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/36359/17265680_1236294129818287_7313294814970118144_n5a4ab6f52f.jpg[img]limit-fabrications-bmx-mirron-replica-cover-1.jpg uploading ...[/img]

Last edited by STREETBEATBEAST (2018-01-01 2:32pm)

Heres my profound, life changing statement.
Lifes a bitch..PASS ME A BEER.

They're reacting and that's wonderful. It's better than them sitting there doing nothing. I say make them react - do whatever's in your power to move the audience, and if that's where it is, and there where it is with America, sex and violence, then I say project it.
ALICE COOPER

#31 2018-01-01 2:24pm

shifty72
Museum Addict

To me it depends on what you're doing with it. I have an all original 1986 GT Pro Performer and an all original 1987 GT PFT Team Model. I would ride these just to cruise around and would take to shows to let other people check them out. But I would NOT ride them at a bike/skate park, off big jumps, or to try new tricks on. Because they are original. That being said, for those purposes, I think old school/original is better. Now if I'm going to ride a little harder, try new things....I think a repop is better all day long. So I feel like they both have a purpose and that one's not necessarily "better" than the other, just usable in different ways.

Who pissed in my pool?

#32 2018-01-01 2:33pm

80sbikedude
ModeratorBugs Bunny Bmx'er
Website

I tend to keep all frames/forks as they come as in not refinishing them. May clean them up here and there but the scars, scratches and such are history to them. Sometimes will add new decals if they are totally trashed but nothing further than that.

ASAP.org ........check it out, I live with it daily
WTB: Murray X20c/Free Spirit F/F and Huffy Pro Lightning
If at first you don't succeed, Do it like your Mom told you!
"Do or do not, there is no try"~~~Yoda
Next time you are feeling perfect, try walking on water!

Hook 'Em Horns

#33 2018-01-01 3:10pm

saskbmx
BMXer 4 Life

Holy $hit. I think juggarnaut is asteroidbeltwalker! lol

#34 2018-01-01 3:21pm

JUGGARNAUT
DILLIGAF

I built 2 All school 87 Osborn pros to ride, sold both frames because I grew 6" and gained 80-90 lbs since I was 17. The geometry wasnt comfortable anymore and I had ridden newer bike, with stronger,less flexable frames. I kept all the parts because the only part that was original were the frames. Had a Ketch made to order and bought a Tierra. But if I could swing it, Id have Standard or S&M make me a Modern version of one and wouldnt care that it wasnt and original.. I see ALOT of restickered bikes on here and alot of originals as well as custom made copies that are Far better built than an original, but if all you want is an expensive art piece to gawk at.. to each his own. This thread was not to compare one vs the other, just asked if it was that importan and I Thank all of you for replying. Id like to add, if I spent what some of yall do on bikes of your past, I wouldnt ride some of them either..but I wouldnt spent 5 g's on a bike either. Thanks again.

Show me your Mid school GT Freestyle parts you wanna sell.

#35 2018-01-01 3:34pm

saskbmx
BMXer 4 Life

You gained 90 lbs? lol

#36 2018-01-01 3:51pm

teamrandr
mongoosed
Bikes: 7

OG

I wouldn't be here today if the old school didn't pave the way.

#37 2018-01-01 3:53pm

JUGGARNAUT
DILLIGAF

saskbmx wrote:

You gained 90 lbs? lol

Over the next 30 years, yeah.. I was skin and bones as a teen, all I did was ride..lol

#38 2018-01-01 4:25pm

ohiobmx
Pro Member
Bikes: 27
Website

A lot of the great bikes of my time (the 80's) were just frame and fork, so made to order was the choice of the buyer.  That was way better than original, or what the bike shop put together.  There is something to be said about an original stock bike also, as seen in the bike mags and catalogues.  Subjective I guess.

"It's only an island if you look at it from the water."

#39 2018-01-01 4:36pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

JUGGARNAUT wrote:

I did in FACT catch the name ,almost 10 years ago,. that being said,  A NS version of an OS frame is not what I mean, I was pretty clear in my topic... is it that important to have an 84 Hutch TS vs a 17-18 COPY of that exact frame down to the tubing wall thickness?

well that kind stems or steers in the detection of   snutapeal sue they can buy a 2018 custom made 1 off Huffy thunder trail mono shock BMX and it would have better weld,better steal tubing, better shock and better made other parts. but that guy would all ways know it's not  a real. 79 Huffy. there for it has no snutaple / Snob appeal . IE they can't really Brag they Have a 1979 Huffy. all they have is a cheap copy. granted a  high price expensive well made copy / forgery . that would hold up better to riding it. but in there mind still they see a cheap copy a knock off a want tobe. so it  for them just will not do. they have to have the real deal or nothing.

#40 2018-01-01 4:37pm

JUGGARNAUT
DILLIGAF

ohiobmx wrote:

A lot of the great bikes of my time (the 80's) were just frame and fork, so made to order was the choice of the buyer.  That was way better than original, or what the bike shop put together.  There is something to be said about an original stock bike also, as seen in the bike mags and catalogues.  Subjective I guess.

Yeah, its definitely subjective.  cool

#41 2018-01-01 4:45pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK

80sbikedude wrote:

I tend to keep all frames/forks as they come as in not refinishing them. May clean them up here and there but the scars, scratches and such are history to them. Sometimes will add new decals if they are totally trashed but nothing further than that.

well that depends. was the bike yours? IE you bought it new in the 80's.  or was it a friends bike? if yes than sure save that history. but if it's not and you did not. sit down and have beers with. the kid now a adult that owned it since new. then no those scratches and paint chips aren't history. well not known history to you. instead it's just wear and tear on  old consumer goods.

#42 2018-01-01 4:55pm

ohiobmx
Pro Member
Bikes: 27
Website

If I could go back in time with a pocket full of cash, I would choose made to order.  I would go into Synders Bike Shop and buy a GHP Pro F/F, with a nice set of Star Bars, and build it with all of the goodies.  Redline cranks, Triton pedals, Tuf Neck inverted stem, Araya 7X's with Phil Wood Hubs, Cycle Pro Seat, GT Laid Back, Comp III's, Tuf Neck Seat clamp, Phil Wood Spyder, Tuf Neck 43T Chainring, Shimano MX freewheel, Mushroom grips, Tech III lever with an MX1000 brake, Cali Lite pad set, and some donuts to save my thumbs.

"It's only an island if you look at it from the water."

#43 2018-01-01 6:12pm

ricar
Pro Member

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

JUGGARNAUT wrote:

well that kind stems or steers in the detection of   snutapeal sue they can buy a 2018 custom made 1 off Huffy thunder trail mono shock BMX and it would have better weld,better steal tubing, better shock and better made other parts. but that guy would all ways know it's not  a real. 79 Huffy. there for it has no snutaple / Snob appeal . IE they can't really Brag they Have a 1979 Huffy. all they have is a cheap copy. granted a  high price expensive well made copy / forgery . that would hold up better to riding it. but in there mind still they see a cheap copy. so it  for them just will not do. they have to have the real deal or nothing.

You seem to be assuming that the person who ordered the "cheap copy" Which was most probably  not cheap, actually cares what other people think about their bike. Or as you say Snob appeal. You also assume they will look at their bike as a cheap copy. Maybe.... if they put Huffy stickers all over it. I would not be happy to put Huffy stickers all over it. I would however be more than happy to put my own name on it and completely rip off the design the copied Huffy sported. I would not however feel I had a cheap frame in any sense. I would have a kick ass bike that was completely like the one I had as a kid and sold and will never have again. This new frame would have something else of my own invested in it. Maybe not my childish blood sweat and tears, but something that no other frame will ever have.

Every time I get on my bike I win. Ms.BMX.

#44 2018-01-01 6:25pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK

ricar wrote:

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

JUGGARNAUT wrote:

well that kind stems or steers in the detection of   snutapeal sue they can buy a 2018 custom made 1 off Huffy thunder trail mono shock BMX look a like and it would have better weld,better steal tubing, better shock and better made other parts. but that guy would all ways know it's not  a real. 79 Huffy. there for it has no snutaple / Snob appeal . IE they can't really Brag they Have a 1979 Huffy. all they have is a cheap copy. granted a  high price expensive well made copy / forgery . that would hold up better to riding it. but in there mind still they see a cheap copy. so it  for them just will not do. they have to have the real deal or nothing.

You seem to be assuming that the person who ordered the "cheap copy" Which was most probably  not cheap, actually cares what other people think about their bike. Or as you say Snob appeal. You also assume they will look at their bike as a cheap copy. Maybe.... if they put Huffy stickers all over it. I would not be happy to put Huffy stickers all over it. I would however be more than happy to put my own name on it and completely rip off the design the copied Huffy sported. I would not however feel I had a cheap frame in any sense. I would have a kick ass bike that was completely like the one I had as a kid and sold and will never have again. This new frame would have something else of my own invested in it. Maybe not my childish blood sweat and tears, but something that no other frame will ever have.

some people are like that tho. see they could buy a fiber glass  or alloy re make of a cobra. but for some dumb risen in there head. it will never be as good as a Carroll Shelby cobra  no mater how god it's made. to them it's just some how inferior  but they may buy one. to use till they find a real old Carroll Shelby made cobra . that's what I meant to say. me I would not mind owning either one or both tongue I love and own retros ,remakes and new school as well as OS

Last edited by FRESSTYLE FREEK (2018-01-01 6:30pm)

#45 2018-01-01 8:24pm

ricar
Pro Member

For sure, there are always the guy that has to have the original. Opinions vary, some people think this and some that. Some people are stuck fast this or die, others are more open to possibilities. I am not a fan of pre 50s cars. I can appreciate a nicely restored '32 and would definitely stop to look  but I would not care to own one.

I don't like ketchup. I didn't one day decide to not like it, I don't like tomatoes either, but I don't hate on people who do. My wife likes ketchup, but she hates tuna. She obviously has issues but I married her anyways!

Every time I get on my bike I win. Ms.BMX.

#46 2018-01-01 9:02pm

uglykato
Pro Member
Bikes: 3

STREETBEATBEAST wrote:

Reading the title of this thread..
If there was only one ever made as in the case of JAY MIRON's HOFFMAN PUNISHER..
Then if you want one, you don't have much of a choice but to buy a custom made/made to order.

ORIGINAL
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … b5aa5d.jpg

READY TO ORDER
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … b5d966.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … b6b8e8.jpg

REPLICA/NOT OFFICIAL
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … b6f52f.jpglimit-fabrications-bmx-mirron-replica-c … oading ...

That is awesome!!!

Last edited by uglykato (2018-01-01 9:02pm)

If I owe you any feedback, please, let me know

"I don't have talent. I have tenacity, I have discipline, I have focus and I know without any illusion where I come from and where I can go back to."

#47 2018-01-02 6:01am

made2drag
BMXer 4 Life

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

ricar wrote:

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

well that kind stems or steers in the detection of   snutapeal sue they can buy a 2018 custom made 1 off Huffy thunder trail mono shock BMX look a like and it would have better weld,better steal tubing, better shock and better made other parts. but that guy would all ways know it's not  a real. 79 Huffy. there for it has no snutaple / Snob appeal . IE they can't really Brag they Have a 1979 Huffy. all they have is a cheap copy. granted a  high price expensive well made copy / forgery . that would hold up better to riding it. but in there mind still they see a cheap copy. so it  for them just will not do. they have to have the real deal or nothing.

some people are like that tho. see they could buy a fiber glass  or alloy re make of a cobra. but for some dumb risen in there head. it will never be as good as a Carroll Shelby cobra  no mater how god it's made. to them it's just some how inferior  but they may buy one. to use till they find a real old Carroll Shelby made cobra . that's what I meant to say. me I would not mind owning either one or both tongue I love and own retros ,remakes and new school as well as OS

yea but.... some people don't need a real Cobra to be happy.  If it looks the part and is a 10th of the price, it could be viewed better.  If I had the choice I would buy a replica for 20 grand and drive the snot out of it and I could drive it to the grocery store and not worry about dings and shopping carts.

Sometimes price does matter and originality is too overrated

Increase the Peace

#48 2018-01-02 6:06am

made2drag
BMXer 4 Life

But at the same time, if I could afford a real Cobra, it would stay original and I wouldn't repaint it and it would most likely stay in the garage.  It would be a once a month driver.  I would buy a BMW Z3 to drive as a daily not the Cobra

Increase the Peace

#49 2018-01-02 7:17am

tacochris
Expert

It really depends on what you value in life.  I value real over fake....
You either wanna look the part, or BE the part, I prefer to BE.

EDIT*
No offense to those who are cool with repop stuff....you have to understand I come from generations of hotrodders and vintage car builders and repop is highly frowned upon so I cant shake that distaste in my mouth for it.

Last edited by tacochris (2018-01-02 7:21am)

Just an oldschool minitrucker and bmx kid doing what i do....
Proud "Klunker" hater.....

"...I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol days...before you've actually left em..."      -Andy Bernard

#50 2018-01-02 8:01am

xtremevert
ModeratorThe Gate Keeper
Bikes: 19

JUGGARNAUT wrote:

Threads not over.. lol, maybe you have no answer, but Im sure theres broadminded, deep thinkers on here who have a reply?

oh brother, roll  here we go again...

My Father once spoke to me and said "The way you look at your bike is the way I see My children, I look past the imperfections and rough surfaces to the beauty of the finished product."

Board footer

View Cart →