You are not logged in.

Haro kneesaver fans rejoice! 2018's inside.  RSS Feed

#51 2017-11-26 6:21pm

spyker
Pro MemberDr. of Thuganonics

Re: Haro kneesaver fans rejoice! 2018's inside.

justlive wrote:

spyker wrote:

justlive wrote:

+1
It's sort of like the other thread on here about what the dumbest bmx stuff that was supposed to be cool. Just like there are some that like these bars and some that don't. The same goes for the stuff in that thread. Only difference was 30yrs ago we didn't have social media to express our opinions wink

While riding during my youth I've never had a somewhat decent looking bike(except for the Kuwi Laserlite).They were always pieced together with parts from other bikes(parts were either replaced due to being broken or traded with friends).Even today that has spilled over to the way I build my current bikes.Now I seem to build them differently and somewhat off looking to how others build their bikes.

That's the beauty of it brother! Making it your own and what works for u. And not cookie cutter or with the coolest parts simply because their the most popular. I'd rather run an old school dk stem all day long over a Hutch stem bitd. Or Flight cranks over Aerospeeds. For me it just made more sense.

Ya should have read/heard some of the comments I recieved when I was in the planning stages of building my retro 20" Skyway TA.Not much love by some when they found out I planned on powdercoating the F&F pearl white over the factory chrome,use NS micro drive gearing and many NS branded parts.At the end,glad I went this route cause it looks different and stands out from the rest vs the sea of other retro TA's built that all look the same and rides so nice....just the way I wanted it.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength

Would you trust a lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?

#52 2017-11-26 6:21pm

D1976
Pro Member
For Sale: 3

Were the originals 8" tall or 8.5"?

#53 2017-11-26 6:22pm

spyker

....what's a "magazine" rider?

#54 2017-11-26 6:25pm

flatland1974
Pro MemberOzone Hole Plugger
For Sale: 110

spyker wrote:

Members who know more about riding though mags than actual riding....There are ALOT of them here!!!

Taking NOS to POS since 1984!!!!!

#55 2017-11-26 6:27pm

justlive
Pro MemberRemember remember the 80's forever
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 2

spyker wrote:

justlive wrote:

spyker wrote:

While riding during my youth I've never had a somewhat decent looking bike(except for the Kuwi Laserlite).They were always pieced together with parts from other bikes(parts were either replaced due to being broken or traded with friends).Even today that has spilled over to the way I build my current bikes.Now I seem to build them differently and somewhat off looking to how others build their bikes.

That's the beauty of it brother! Making it your own and what works for u. And not cookie cutter or with the coolest parts simply because their the most popular. I'd rather run an old school dk stem all day long over a Hutch stem bitd. Or Flight cranks over Aerospeeds. For me it just made more sense.

Ya should have read/heard some of the comments I recieved when I was in the planning stages of building my retro 20" Skyway TA.Not much love by some when they found out I planned on powdercoating the F&F pearl white over the factory chrome,use NS micro drive gearing and many NS branded parts.At the end,glad I went this route cause it looks different and stands out from the rest vs the sea of other retro TA's built that all look the same and rides so nice....just the way I wanted it.

Lol yea theirs alot of touchy Skyway guys here tongue I'd love to see that TA. Is it in your bikes?

-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

#56 2017-11-26 6:41pm

spyker

flatland1974 wrote:

spyker wrote:

Members who know more about riding though mags than actual riding....There are ALOT of them here!!!

So basically these are the guys who will tell others how to do a steamroller and what not,yet if you ask them to pull the trick off,they can't.

#57 2017-11-26 6:44pm

spyker

justlive wrote:

spyker wrote:

justlive wrote:

Lol yea theirs alot of touchy Skyway guys here tongue I'd love to see that TA. Is it in your bikes?

Lol Skyway guys are a strange bunch....I'm one myself.The bike is currently getting revamped.Will send you a pic once the fresh look is done.

Btw I just don't submit my bikes.

#58 2017-11-26 6:53pm

flatland1974

spyker wrote:

flatland1974 wrote:

spyker wrote:

So basically these are the guys who will tell others how to do a steamroller and what not,yet if you ask them to pull the trick off,they can't.

BINGO!!!!...A steamroller to them is what they use to put curls in the kids hair!!!...to me and you...it's a way to get into funk chickin combo..or a hiker..Neil...Your all brotha..cool

#59 2017-11-26 6:54pm

justlive

spyker wrote:

justlive wrote:

spyker wrote:

Lol Skyway guys are a strange bunch....I'm one myself.The bike is currently getting revamped.Will send you a pic once the fresh look is done.

Btw I just don't submit my bikes.

Cool I'll be watching for it smile

-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River

#60 2017-11-26 6:57pm

pwh4130
Pro Member
Bikes: 7
Website

Most new school bars are 10-12 degrees back sweep. Most flat bars are 2-6 degrees back sweep. There is nothing wrong with the geometry.

ride your bike until it breaks.

#61 2017-11-26 6:58pm

CHAMPION-26
Pro Member

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

CHAMPION-26 wrote:

spyker wrote:

Not brand new or with NS geo.

But if you want knee savers you should be looking to use them on an old school build... After all that's when they originated. There's plenty of new school style bars available.

They don't have to be brand new ( They wouldn't match the finish on your old bike )
And that style bar shouldn't be NS Geometry anyway...
Do all of the Old School parts have to be Copied and Twisted into New School.
Since most New School Riders think Old School Stuff is Gimmicky and Crappy anyway...Why Copy an Old School Part and make it Nre School then.

Yes these comments may spark the same Old School VS New School Debate that has been Battled out here Over & Over & Over again... With no Winner on Either Side...Just different Opinions.    And this is mine. smile

lol most guy here on this site bitch. how new school all look the same. they lack the cool style 80's bikes have. now that HARO is doing something about that. you still want to bitch.lol

LoL... I knew you would join the party sooner or later Freek ... We all do our fair share of Bitching Here from time to time. tongue
I just want Some of the New School Builders be it Haro or Whoever. To Stop Copying the 80's Stylings, that's all.
And yes I do think Most New School Bikes look the Very Similar in Design..
Now before you post 20 pics of New School Bikes that are all Noticeably Different in Apperance... I SAID MOST. There are exceptions to the rule. big_smile
(And I know You Own OS, MS, And NS Bikes and Love them All)... As Do I.
Old School and New School Bikes are both great in their own ways..
Just Be More Creative With The Designs Of New School If You Want That Flair Old School Bikes Have, Stop Trying To Recreate The Past And  Move Forward With The New!!!

Needs - Tioga Comp Pool Tires
Tioga Comp Ramp Tires
Early Redline PL - 24 Forks
88 Skyway T/A 280 Forks
GT Coaster Brake Hub
24" Irc Racer - X Tire -  In Black
Nos Clear GT Grips

#62 2017-11-26 7:03pm

wadeaminute
Pro MemberSpell Check

This thread is notable to me for two reasons - for I find myself in disagreement with flatland1974 regarding the bars, but also in agreement with him with regard to what he is calling collectors / magazine riders.
I feel bipolar.
So, I say - cheers to flatland1974.
All opinions might be valid, but some. I think, are more valid than others. If you quit in 1988 - 89 and came back in your late 30s as part of a midlife-crisis / nostalgia trip, you really missed out. Those of us that kept riding were beyond the 1980s stuff by 1992. Some of us didn't quit, don't have a 20 year knowledge gap, and still ride beyond beach cruises and wheelies.
(Not that there is anything wrong with that.)

(I think)

***I have stopped posting at 1000, for at least a year. Cheers

#63 2017-11-26 7:04pm

wadeaminute
Pro MemberSpell Check

pwh4130 wrote:

Most new school bars are 10-12 degrees back sweep. Most flat bars are 2-6 degrees back sweep. There is nothing wrong with the geometry.

Brett is the only one I would defer to on this site, and we agree, so I don't have to.

(I think)

***I have stopped posting at 1000, for at least a year. Cheers

#64 2017-11-26 7:15pm

spyker

flatland1974 wrote:

spyker wrote:

flatland1974 wrote:

BINGO!!!!...A steamroller to them is what they use to put curls in the kids hair!!!...to me and you...it's a way to get into funk chickin combo..or a hiker..Neil...Your all brotha..cool

Thanks Bob!

I will admit,I was never a flatland type of guy bitd.I mainly rode street and dirt.However I could pull off steamrollers,tailwhips,boomerangs and cherrypickers(depending on the mood).

Today I can still manage to pull off steamrollers and tailwhips...good enough?

#65 2017-11-26 7:22pm

flatland1974

wadeaminute wrote:

This thread is notable to me for two reasons - for I find myself in disagreement with flatland1974 regarding the bars, but also in agreement with him with regard to what he is calling collectors / magazine riders.
I feel bipolar.
All opinions might be valid, but some. I think, are more valid than others. If you quit in 1988 - 89 and came back in your late 30s as part of a midlife-crisis / nostalgia trip, you really missed out. Those of us that kept riding were beyond the 1980s stuff by 1992. Some of us didn't quit, don't have a 20 year knowledge gap, and still ride beyond beach cruises and wheelies.

I guess I was out of my box a bit...I ride flatland...no park..or street...so my fortay is FLAT...so sorry....I don't know the geo on that gear as someone like Brett.(who rides it all)..I ride wheelies on my front wheel and beaches when I can...(who wouldn't )!!!...and NO ONE will tell me those "elf ears" are good for ANYTHING but collectors..

#66 2017-11-26 7:23pm

CHAMPION-26
Pro Member

flatland1974 wrote:

CHAMPION-26 wrote:

flatland1974 wrote:

30 years ago ...we didn't have the choices and knowledge and resources we have today...I'm NOT knocking ALL retro and repop gear...just the one's that don't make sense...when I redid the Ozone...I didn't include all the crap that was wrong with the OG design....seatpost mast cracking..forks that cracked in a week...different brake setups...you take an old but great design and IMPROVE on it...NOT make it the same mistakes.....Can you imagine if the New Haro MAster had those POS rearends from the 80's..or if the Hutch TS's had the fooked up crap pegs and standers???

True... But why copy the Old School Style/Look of the 80's and make it New School ? The Bike Builders of the 80's were Creative and Innovative enough to come up with their own Designs & Styling...
Can't the New School builders do the same for the New School Generations...Get Friggin Creative, with the aid of Computer Design it shouldn't be that hard.
LEAVE OLD SCHOOL DESIGNS FOR THE OLD SCHOOL.. BE ORIGINAL AND STOP COPYING THE 80'S STYLINGS............Nothing Is Sacred Anymore!!!  mad

WTF???..."True... But why copy the Old School Style/Look of the 80's and make it New School"....that's another JOKE!!!....I know what I say is TRUE..cause it is!!Why collect old BMX Bikes...cars ...toys...Why do ALL the Car companies copy cars from the past???..IT'S MAn..do you know what your talking about???...or just being defensive....Or did you already order a set of these bars and feel you need to defend them??.

No. You just see things differently than me. And that's Cool. We all have our own opinions and can't sway each others. big_smile
There's a Desire and Niche For Repop... If there's money in it they will make anything for a profit. smile
As for Cars... I would take a '68 Camaro or '70 Charger over the 2017 models all day long... And a Scratched Up Rusty 88 HARO MASTER With OG Kneesavers over a new one any day.
I guess I'm an Old School Dude!
Like I said Different Opinions and Ways of viewing things.
It's all good Brother...the one thing we have in common is our love for BMX.smile

Last edited by CHAMPION-26 (2017-11-26 7:26pm)

Needs - Tioga Comp Pool Tires
Tioga Comp Ramp Tires
Early Redline PL - 24 Forks
88 Skyway T/A 280 Forks
GT Coaster Brake Hub
24" Irc Racer - X Tire -  In Black
Nos Clear GT Grips

#67 2017-11-26 7:34pm

flatland1974

CHAMPION-26 wrote:

flatland1974 wrote:

CHAMPION-26 wrote:

True... But why copy the Old School Style/Look of the 80's and make it New School ? The Bike Builders of the 80's were Creative and Innovative enough to come up with their own Designs & Styling...
Can't the New School builders do the same for the New School Generations...Get Friggin Creative, with the aid of Computer Design it shouldn't be that hard.
LEAVE OLD SCHOOL DESIGNS FOR THE OLD SCHOOL.. BE ORIGINAL AND STOP COPYING THE 80'S STYLINGS............Nothing Is Sacred Anymore!!!  mad

WTF???..."True... But why copy the Old School Style/Look of the 80's and make it New School"....that's another JOKE!!!....I know what I say is TRUE..cause it is!!Why collect old BMX Bikes...cars ...toys...Why do ALL the Car companies copy cars from the past???..IT'S MAn..do you know what your talking about???...or just being defensive....Or did you already order a set of these bars and feel you need to defend them??.

No. You just see things differently than me. And that's Cool. We all have our own opinions and can't sway each others. big_smile
There's a Desire and Niche For Repop... If there's money in it they will make anything for a profit. smile
As for Cars... I would take a '68 Camaro or '70 Charger over the 2017 models all day long... And a Scratched Up Rusty 88 HARO MASTER With OG Kneesavers over a new one any day.
I guess I'm an Old School Dude!
Like I said Different Opinions and Ways of viewing things.
It's all good Brother...the one thing we have in common is our love for BMX.smile

Not just BMX...All my rides are Old school...some mid...my only new bike is my Remorse Ozone tribute...While I would NEVER own the retro cars out there...(my 67 Chevelle is my Ride)..I understand the whole retro thing...but not the mistakes made in the past...and brought back in today...I can and say crap about the new Master...but Holy shit...I probably get banned!!tongue

#68 2017-11-26 8:09pm

justlive

wadeaminute wrote:

I feel bipolar.

I can agree with this. I stopped riding in 89. Although I kept up with what was going on throughout the 90's via mags and later espn  coverage, I still wasn't riding. So when I got back in it in 97 I was still nostalgic for the old styles of my youth. And although I evolved to a point (I built/rode an EP but with side pull nippons lol) I still avoided change. It wasn't until 2014 that I finally built my first modern geo frame. Now I'll never go back. And now that Hutch, Haro etc are building retro frames with modern geo just helps me relive my youth with my favorite frame styles all while enjoying the modern upgrades. So as u pointed out, there's definitely somewhat of a disconnect with those of us that have a gap in riding. Especially during the time periods of major change. But like someone pointed out, whether u evolve or whether u prefer to live in the past its all bmx and it's all good wink

#69 2017-11-27 4:42am

justlive

U thought Haro kneebashers were bad. I had a pair of the air steps on my Sport bitd and can still remember the feeling of banging my knee on these things. http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/27998/tioga_2_jan87.jpg.cf5a1c083e60.jpg

#70 2017-11-27 6:30am

made2drag
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

smilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmile   I love them and the geometry!  smilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmile

I'll buy the new Peregrine's and the new Kneesavers!!!   

I need 2 of each!

Increase the Peace

#71 2017-11-27 6:40am

made2drag
Pro Member

My wrists like more backsweep....always have, always will... if these were going to be flat specific 3 degrees, I would have passed.  Flat bars suck if you plan to actually get off the ground and catch air.  I can live with the width... or I might even do the copper plumbing fitting trick smile

Increase the Peace

#72 2017-11-27 6:56am

made2drag
Pro Member

Might I add:

Haro made the Lineage series frames and completes with street, ramp and park in mind.  It's logical to make bars that compliment the same riding.

Increase the Peace

#73 2017-11-27 7:05am

bhaverchuck
Pro Member
Bikes: 1

lets face it....highly doubt anyone purchasing these bars are running out blowing up contest scene. most will be doing casual neighborhood rides and a few basic tricks. Specs on these bars are more than suitable.

#74 2017-11-27 8:06am

flatland1974

bhaverchuck wrote:

lets face it....highly doubt anyone purchasing these bars are running out blowing up contest scene. most will be doing casual neighborhood rides and a few basic tricks. Specs on these bars are more than suitable.

This was the answer I was looking for!!....And While I see I have NO ONE to give me a good reason why they left those fooking Elf ears in place...this answer is best!!!...but some guys being literally ignorant to a design flaw that was WAS MADE TO SELL PRODUCT.....than your missing the point I was trying to make...It's just like this site.....GREAT site...but does have it's....problems...GREAT BARS ..They should make two versions ..street/ramp...(as pictured) and a flat set...2-3 back   2-3 up..and NO FOOKING ELF EARS!!lol

#75 2017-11-27 8:53am

pwh4130
Pro Member
Bikes: 7
Website

Moving forward, before anyone comments they need to explain what type of riding they do, what they are looking for and then comment so we all understand each other. We need to realize that BMX is something different to all of us. 

On my flat bike I like 6 degrees back sweep, 10 on my streeter.  I could say one bar sucks but use it on the other bike and be perfectly happy with it. 

I've worked with SE and Haro so I know retro.  The thing is, people will always complain about the products.  Back in the 80's I took my bars to a grinder to take off the "elf ends" because they weren't right for me.  If Haro made them that way now, the purists would complain that they weren't the same. 

It's really easy to be negative and I have always tried to stay out of conflicts with people's opinions as a matter of professionalism.  Rather than complain, appreciate there are these cool products that have people stoked to ride or spend money when the industry really needs it.  If a product doesn't fit what BMX is to you, it's fine to say so but realize that it might be perfect for someone else's riding.

ride your bike until it breaks.

Board footer

View Cart →