You are not logged in.

Skinwall Tire Preservation Project

#76 2019-06-10 6:47pm

knightindullarmor
Dirty Jungle Monkey Love

Re: Skinwall Tire Preservation Project

Bump for an update
  I am curious to see how they are holding up to the test of time.

44T   COLORADO'S LONE WOLF
Things im looking for:  GT SPEED SERIES 24 DECAL (RECALL VERSION),  GT ALUMINUM SERIES XL DECALS, CLEM TWIN CRANKS/HUBS

#77 2019-06-11 11:01am

Irata
Pro Member
Bikes: 31

Double bump.

#78 2019-06-11 11:14am

Crashman
ModeratorTo Get Me Riled
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 1

Irata wrote:

Double bump.

https://bmxmuseum.com/reference-images/gold_sr_3_blowup.jpg

Wanted: OPC shells for 6005 bearings (47mm)

#79 2019-07-07 11:31am

Jmoser
Pro Member
Bikes: 13
For Sale: 9
Website

Sorry for the delay in the update. Here are some photos of the 26" tires I did first. At this point they have been hanging in the garage with no direct sunlight.

These are now 20 months old.https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/18642/paiiyues2m4ckxf1cagmw5d22390530.jpg

I noticed a couple of dry spots (you can see the dryness coming off) but I think another coat of FlexSeal will take care if it. Maybe that was a thin spot from the original coat.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/18642/patblzo5treixmssmjalq5d223a5f0e.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/18642/wmlbccaurtui2fvwamqtuw5d223a6c3f.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/18642/e7mdhrahstkffgi0aba5d22391e82.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/18642/mmkdvthcr1iyvyava3ujiw5d22391973.jpghttps://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/18642/nc7cvrfs964gc6blpdc5g5d223a6fd1.jpg

The Best Source of RAD Movie News is available at wwwfacebook.com/themovierad

#80 2019-07-07 12:42pm

kalel92198
Pro MemberThe Duke
Bikes: 20

Sweet! Have you taken in it out for a ride yet?

Political talk is allowed on any of my threads! I have zero tolerance for communists!
Slap a tampon in it and call it a day!
ISO:85 mcs styler f/f
Nbd Kattsclawws67
RBD2

#81 2019-07-07 1:03pm

Jmoser
Pro Member
Website

Yes, I went around my block. Performed fine, nothing negative to report.

#82 2019-07-07 1:14pm

MAIDEN GT fan
Pro MemberBMX To The Hills

A Couple of Spots after OVER a Year and a Half!! cool Think this PROVES it's Worthiness for Tire Preservation!! wink

#83 2019-07-07 1:53pm

LaughnJar
Pro MemberMuseum Lawyer

I too am intrigued by this application/use of the flex steel compound.  I have a couple of really good tire candidates to use as experimental subjects.  So in the interest of adding to what the OP has already provided, I'll use said tires and apply as prescribed herein.  The tires I am using were varnished by another owner.  It began flaking off so I used a nylon scrub brush to remove all the varnish from the sidewalls.  This resulted in the separation of the threads from one another but not the bead or the tread layer.  So this will be an extreme test of the potential limits for using this method of restoration. 

But I've nothing to lose and hopefully this shall result in some added insight for the benefit of all those interested.

Also due to some issues that have developed with my wifes relatives, it may be about a month before I can start the project.  I'll post pics once I'm ready roll - yup pun intended lol

Peace

HUTCH please, neat or on the rocks;  black'n'chrome or chrome'n'black, pure and unadulterated...like savoring a 20 year old single malt Scotch.  If I wanted a candy color flavor, I'd have ordered a glass of Haro.

"Stop the car, I'm gettin' out.  I can't take it.  Hey look out there's somebody coming
And there's nothin' you can do about it!"

#84 2019-07-07 1:58pm

Jmoser
Pro Member
Website

That will be great. You may want to start on the outside first to get a skin on the threads and then go really heavy on the inside to get some thickness. Looking forward to your results.

Good luck with inlaws. I just went through a bunch of shit.

Last edited by Jmoser (2019-07-07 2:00pm)

#85 2019-07-07 2:14pm

LaughnJar
Pro MemberMuseum Lawyer

Yep. My thinking as well.  And will likely use some old saran wrapped tubes partially inflated to support the sidewalls as well.  Will take a lot longer to dry O believe. But again nothing to lose.  So patience and all upside potential seems reasonable to me.  big_smile

Peace

HUTCH please, neat or on the rocks;  black'n'chrome or chrome'n'black, pure and unadulterated...like savoring a 20 year old single malt Scotch.  If I wanted a candy color flavor, I'd have ordered a glass of Haro.

"Stop the car, I'm gettin' out.  I can't take it.  Hey look out there's somebody coming

#86 2019-07-07 2:22pm

LaughnJar
Pro MemberMuseum Lawyer

And thanks for the good luck wishes as well.  Her family is good people, but things have gone sideways for several of them, and things are a bit crazy.  They are all in San Juan PR, wifes from there.  Distance has not helped.  So we are flying there to hopefully help smooth some things out.  I have her back if necessary, but everything is my wifes call at this point.  I dont want to disrespect ANY OF THEM by being confrontational

Peace

#87 2019-07-07 2:32pm

Jmoser
Pro Member
Website

Saran wrap tubes is a great idea. I didnt think of that one.

#88 2019-07-07 4:33pm

ABA180
Pro MemberCandy Apples

LaughnJar wrote:

And thanks for the good luck wishes as well.  Her family is good people, but things have gone sideways for several of them, and things are a bit crazy.  They are all in San Juan PR, wifes from there.  Distance has not helped.  So we are flying there to hopefully help smooth some things out.  I have her back if necessary, but everything is my wifes call at this point.  I dont want to disrespect ANY OF THEM by being confrontational

Peace

Good luck my friend, I know the place you are in.  I think you're using the smart idea, let her make the decisions and just stand by her side.

Am I Beast Or Am I Human..Am I Just Like You?

#89 2019-07-07 6:47pm

kalel92198
Pro MemberThe Duke

LaughnJar wrote:

Peace

Mmmmmm I love me some authentic Peurto rican women! Lucky you! Sucks about the fam though. I am sure everything will work itself out though. Looking forward to doing this same method on my tires as well.

Political talk is allowed on any of my threads! I have zero tolerance for communists!
Nbd Kattsclawws67
RBD2

#90 2019-07-07 7:26pm

knightindullarmor
Dirty Jungle Monkey Love

kalel92198 wrote:

LaughnJar wrote:

Peace

Mmmmmm I love me some authentic Peurto rican women! Lucky you! Sucks about the fam though. I am sure everything will work itself out though. Looking forward to doing this same method on my tires as well.

You love all women you hound dog lol
We need to try this next time i am over.  Those white gt tires I gave you are perfect canidates for this.

44T   COLORADO'S LONE WOLF
Things im looking for:  GT SPEED SERIES 24 DECAL (RECALL VERSION),  GT ALUMINUM SERIES XL DECALS, CLEM TWIN CRANKS/HUBS

#91 2019-07-07 7:36pm

kalel92198
Pro MemberThe Duke

knightindullarmor wrote:

kalel92198 wrote:

LaughnJar wrote:

Peace

You love all women you hound dog lol
We need to try this next time i am over.  Those white gt tires I gave you are perfect canidates for this.

Agreed! I wonder if they got this in white.

Nbd Kattsclawws67
RBD2

#92 2019-07-08 5:29pm

tacoman
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

X

#93 2019-10-23 4:17pm

HuffyShredder
DJ Clintoris In da House!
Bikes: 12
Website

Thread downward spiral... I have a pair of ????NOS???? Schwinn Yo! tires that are crisp and crispy.

Rubber cement on hand; no special product.  Final word? Around the block and spots popped out sounds bad to me. 

I heard of Vaseline or vinyl tire restoration goo from the auto store...

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/219864/20191023_1812595db0deb769.jpg

I destroyed my Murray and Huffy bikes as a kid in the 80s while my friends rode nice bikes..  Shitty gear can cause injury and hurt your children. Hurting your children is child abuse...  Don't abuse your children!
09 Haro Team Issue XL 38I,  95 Mongoose Expert Pro 38W, 15 RL Flight Jr. 8I, 17 USA BMX Strider 3B, and maybe a few others...

#94 2019-10-23 4:36pm

mkelty
Pro Member

<eyes the cracked 40 year old Cheng Shins ... and the can of black Flex Seal...> cool

Warning: Explicit Content Inside

#95 2019-10-24 12:17am

HuffyShredder
DJ Clintoris In da House!
Bikes: 12
Website

I went with silicone spray by PB Blaster brand.  Spray a bunch in a cup and paint it on with a brush. I went heavy and moved the excess with brush strokes, then poured it inside.the tire to cover the crispy gumwall inside. 

After just a few hours they look and feel better.  I wonder if this before the sealant in OP would be best...

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/219864/20191024_0213215db14f34b9.jpg

I destroyed my Murray and Huffy bikes as a kid in the 80s while my friends rode nice bikes..  Shitty gear can cause injury and hurt your children. Hurting your children is child abuse...  Don't abuse your children!
09 Haro Team Issue XL 38I,  95 Mongoose Expert Pro 38W, 15 RL Flight Jr. 8I, 17 USA BMX Strider 3B, and maybe a few others...

#96 2020-09-19 1:21pm

BMX JUNKIE
Expert
Bikes: 5
Website

cool love this type of resto advice.. thanks BMX Bros.

I HURT MY SELF TODAY, TO SEE IF I STILL FEEL...ACTUALY I FORGOT TO TENSION THE CHAIN......

You know damn well that neither of us knows what the hell you are talking about.

Board footer