You are not logged in.

Cutting the CORD ..... please HELP

#76 2017-11-13 8:43am

knightindullarmor
Dirty Jungle Monkey Love

Re: Cutting the CORD ..... please HELP

I personally have fixed most of my neighbors computers or other items at one point or another (known as a jack of all trades to them and if something is broke i can usually fix it).  In exchange for my comp/car/bike/whatever work i usually wont take money but ask for something like access to their wifi network in exchange for my services.  So I do not pay for an isp anymore.  Back when i did it was only like $30 a month,  which is relatively cheap for the hours of entertainment it provided me.  if by some chance i couldn't use their wifi I would simply head to a place like starbucks (i do not drink coffee) or mcdonald's (i dont put that crap in my body) or anywhere there is free wifi, hang out for a few get what i wanted to watch then head home and watch it.  I personally dont think paying $30 for an isp is a bad deal considering what it cost to go to the movies.  my date about two weeks back to the theater cost me more than that by the time we got popcorn and drinks.

44T   COLORADO'S LONE WOLF
Things im looking for:  GT SPEED SERIES 24 DECAL (RECALL VERSION),  GT ALUMINUM SERIES XL DECALS, CLEM TWIN CRANKS/HUBS

#77 2017-11-13 11:05am

ChromeCruiser
Expert

LaughnJar wrote:

Ok so who's on first and what's on second.  Got that.

However, cutting the cord while streaming over the internet is a perplexing concept to me.  Because while the internet provides access to information/data, one must have access to the internet in order to tap into that data.  This is the crucial issue for me.  Are all of you cord cutters getting free internet access? Is it possible? And if so how so?  Pardon my ignorance on this point, but where I live there are two equally profiteering ISPs I would gladly ditch in a millisecond if there were a better alternative; COX Cable (my present ISP) and AT&T Digital.  Well there is also the option of access via any given cellular service provider, but they charge exponentially more for said data access.

So where the rubber meets the road for me, the applicable question is how does one access the internet absent going through an ISP?  Again pardon my ignorance, but I don't know.  THIRD BASE!
lol

Not mocking at all with the Abbott and Costello stuff.  Rather encouraging some positive enlightenment on the whole ISP necessity part of the cord cutting solutions.

Peace

Not sure if this will help, but here is my situation that might answer your question...

Five years ago I was tired of paying high cable bills when I didn't watch 99% of the programming and only watch one to two hours of TV a day, I just couldn't justify it any longer. So my solution to "cut the cord" was to cancel my cable and I bought an aerial HDTV antenna for $50 to mount on my porch roof. You aim it in the direction of the local broadcast antennas (see TVfool) and I get all the local channels, about 24 total channels in perfect HD with zero problems for free. For my internet I use DSL and I have a blu-ray player hooked up to my TV that connects to the internet so I can stream uTube or any of the other paid sites if I want to watch something specific. One of the best decisions I ever made.

From moment to moment, no matter what your circumstances are, you have two choices, light or darkness...

#78 2017-11-13 11:57am

Rickchrist09
Intermediate
Bikes: 4

So what do you think happens when everyone is watching everything for no cost?

#79 2017-11-13 12:24pm

spyker
Pro Member

Rickchrist09 wrote:

The money saved can be spent on buying more bikes/parts?

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!
never unarmed!
#VOGR
no fijindus

#80 2017-11-13 12:25pm

spyker
Pro Member

ChromeCruiser wrote:

LaughnJar wrote:

However, cutting the cord while streaming over the internet is a perplexing concept to me.  Because while the internet provides access to information/data, one must have access to the internet in order to tap into that data.  This is the crucial issue for me.  Are all of you cord cutters getting free internet access? Is it possible? And if so how so?  Pardon my ignorance on this point, but where I live there are two equally profiteering ISPs I would gladly ditch in a millisecond if there were a better alternative; COX Cable (my present ISP) and AT&T Digital.  Well there is also the option of access via any given cellular service provider, but they charge exponentially more for said data access.

So where the rubber meets the road for me, the applicable question is how does one access the internet absent going through an ISP?  Again pardon my ignorance, but I don't know.  THIRD BASE!
lol

Not mocking at all with the Abbott and Costello stuff.  Rather encouraging some positive enlightenment on the whole ISP necessity part of the cord cutting solutions.

Peace

Not sure if this will help, but here is my situation that might answer your question...

Five years ago I was tired of paying high cable bills when I didn't watch 99% of the programming and only watch one to two hours of TV a day, I just couldn't justify it any longer. So my solution to "cut the cord" was to cancel my cable and I bought an aerial HDTV antenna for $50 to mount on my porch roof. You aim it in the direction of the local broadcast antennas (see TVfool) and I get all the local channels, about 24 total channels in perfect HD with zero problems for free. For my internet I use DSL and I have a blu-ray player hooked up to my TV that connects to the internet so I can stream uTube or any of the other paid sites if I want to watch something specific. One of the best decisions I ever made.

Right on! glad you like it.I'm currentyl looking into HDTV antenna for a friend of mine who lives in buttcrack nowhere.Can get them locally,but are pretty pricey.

Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
never unarmed!
#VOGR
no fijindus

#81 2017-11-13 12:26pm

saskbmx
BMXer 4 Life

Havent had cable for 6 years. Spend my time on here lol

#82 2017-11-13 12:31pm

knightindullarmor
Dirty Jungle Monkey Love

spyker wrote:

ChromeCruiser wrote:

LaughnJar wrote:

lol

Peace

Right on! glad you like it.I'm currentyl looking into HDTV antenna for a friend of mine who lives in buttcrack nowhere.Can get them locally,but are pretty pricey.

Get one of the ones that plug into the wall socket to amplify the signal.  I went from like 15 channels to near 40 with one vs the standard antenna's.

44T   COLORADO'S LONE WOLF
Things im looking for:  GT SPEED SERIES 24 DECAL (RECALL VERSION),  GT ALUMINUM SERIES XL DECALS, CLEM TWIN CRANKS/HUBS

#83 2017-11-13 12:36pm

spyker
Pro Member

knightindullarmor wrote:

spyker wrote:

ChromeCruiser wrote:

Get one of the ones that plug into the wall socket to amplify the signal.  I went from like 15 channels to near 40 with one vs the standard antenna's.

Will take a note of that,thaks for the tip.Hope it don't suck too ouch power.The antenna will be used in a place that runs on solar and windpower.

$20 goes a long way here
never unarmed!
#VOGR
no fijindus

#84 2017-11-13 1:08pm

oldmanjoe
Museum Addict
Website

IPD wrote:

Sounds like the apps in these boxes have similar issues to what I find using my PC.  ^

TIL that many of the same sites use the same exact uploaded links as each other--making a lot of them interchangeable with each other; the key is finding a host that isn't blocked/pulled for copyright.

So I had some time this week-end and thought I'd install Kodi and give it a shot. Well, it doesn't run on Windows 7. Bummer, it will have to wait. But it got me thinking that apps today are just the next technology. I think you'll see fewer websites and more apps to access the content you are looking for.  Pretty soon, you'll be searching for the right app instead of the right website.

I like new school, it's all I ride.
I love to look at all BMX bikes, I just love the sport.

#85 2017-11-13 1:14pm

oldmanjoe
Museum Addict
Website

Rickchrist09 wrote:

I'm hoping for subscriptions. I'm willing to pay for some things, but not everything I'm charged for. So find me a balance where I can pay for what I use at a reasonable price and I'll pay.

I like Formula 1 racing, and to watch it requires an upgraded package, that puts me over $100 a month. I don't find that value in the other programming, so I searched out a stream, and now I watch for free, and have no commercial interruptions. I'd have paid $50 a month to keep the service I had, but that wasn't an option.

I like new school, it's all I ride.
I love to look at all BMX bikes, I just love the sport.

#86 2017-11-13 8:01pm

LaughnJar
Pro MemberMuseum Lawyer
Bikes: 2

ChromeCruiser wrote:

LaughnJar wrote:

lol

Peace

As the others said, right on...well considering the last staple broadcasts I regularly consumed were Saturday College Football games. Multiple games all Saturday long.  Then my son was born..IN FEB 2009.  I haven't really watched D1 CFB since he was seven months old.  So I really haven't watched T.V. since then. 

And my rational for having cable for CFB was that it was "real time"/live, as opposed to most most other types of programming where the series seasons wrap before the season they are shot for ever begins.  That is why I have no use for TV service.  Live cfb can be found on the web but it's a PITA....at least for me.  It's odd because I can unsandwich a BSOD laptop or tablet, check for hardware and circuit board issues.  Close 'em back up.  Plug in, fully charge then boot to cmd screen.   Run troubleshooting from there for whatever may be causing the issue.  And have brought 5 of 5 back from BSOD. A handy trick to have proven skill and ability when the wife is ranting about what I do "down there" (my basement BMX bungalow that conveniently opens to our garage St street level).  "Checking the router logs, how many times a day do you visit WESTELM.COM anyway!?!?" ...silence, lol.  Or even better, "being certain the QoS MAC addresses haven't been altered and that both 2.4 and 5 GHz channels only have ipv 4 for both udp and tcp to prevent tunneling by a botnet virus and that the QoS is only allowimg udp on ports .......".  Silence.  Meanwhile I looking at this site or trying to keep my metal parts and tools from clanking together as I work on a part or add or change one out, hahahaha.

Sorry got sidetracked.  The point is that I understand and can address many hardware, software and router security issues BUT I NAVE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO GET STREAMIMG NAILED DOWM TO ANY DEGREE OF USER FRIEMDLINESS.  I think I've got a learning disability that's internet specific.  But your post helped A LOT. I'll be purchasing some fresh gadgetry this week and see if I can do this thing!!! cool

Thanks!

Peace

HUTCH please, neat or on the rocks;  black'n'chrome or chrome'n'black, pure and unadulterated...like savoring a 20 year old single malt Scotch.  If I wanted a candy color flavor, I'd have ordered a glass of Haro.

"Stop the car, I'm gettin' out.  I can't take it.  Hey look out there's somebody coming
And there's nothin' you can do about it!"

#87 2017-11-14 4:59am

IPD
2 smart for his own good
Bikes: 3
Website

A few thoughts:

- If you have Cox for your ISP & you're complaining--CHOKE YOURSELF.  You haven't the foggiest idea about the shitstorm that Time Warner & Comcast customers have to endure on a daily basis.  Cox is WONDERFUL by comparison.  I know; I've had both.

-Local channel access is great, and costs nothing.  But I'd still be watching commercials and a slave to whatever they wanted to broadcast.  What happens if I want to watch Flash Gordon?  :p

-Windows 7 mainstream support ended in Jan 2015.  True, antivirus support will continue to 2020, but that EOL date from 2.5 years ago means that nobody is really developing or patching for it.  You can still do it yourself or find solutions on the internet--but I dare say that's going to be far more difficult than simply searching for media content.

-Apps aren't the future--at least not all of it.  Apps use the same backbone as the WWW; the internet.  But more to the point, people aren't going to record & upload content from their smartphones for anything other than youtube snippits.  Shows will continue to be recorded and uploaded in the same manner/fashion they currently are.  Apps don't actually contain any content.  They're simply a gateway to said content and/or a mechanism via which to seek/identify content.  The content has to be HOSTED somewhere.  And if it's hosted in the same place as the app (think: napster) the RIAA/MPAA is going to crack down hard/fast.  You may well be "searching for the right app", but the content will still be hosted somewhere on the internet, and that means that access to it won't be limited to just apps.  That would be as silly as thinking that the PC is going to die off and people will only access the internet from their BR players and smartphones/tablets--it will never happen; not even if the majority tends to go this way.

-Streaming speed I've found to usually be a function of the host site & user demand (eg. off-peak).  The Vietnam War documentary I've been watching was complete rubbish streamed, so I downloaded it.  That's another aspect of the PC solution that I prefer.  Apart most streams I can download I choose--thanks to video download helper (one of my fav firefox plug ins).  Maybe not as desired for shows--but for movies, I'd almost always rather have a copy rather than just a stream & a single viewing.  Similar things work (or have in the past) with youtube & music.

It's like the man says, there's no problems...only solutions.

#88 2017-11-14 7:30am

LaughnJar
Pro MemberMuseum Lawyer

Well yes of course these are all fine and dandy when you're paying $100 a month to have the highest download speeds possible. And that's simply because they're the only cable high speed internet provider in my location and creates an inheritance when it comes competitive pricing.  And yes I do know it does a difference especially with an SSD and HDD drives and the greatest amount of ram it can utilize.  And that difference not because of website access because of the Hub congestion that occurs at times of maximum internet usage in by the surrounding people that are also serviced by cable.  And I know for a fact that they utilize technology that throttles ISDNs.  I also have run internal and external race routes and I know for a fact that they are utilizing a redirect of bad address requests to sell ads via company called bear fruit.  They redirect bad domain name requests entered by the user, to sites of paying clients for the sake of selling advertising. I find this totally unethical as well as a potential security risk created by allowing an unwanted site to establish communication with computers that are inside the firewall of the modem I own and control.  I have had closed ports and they've reopened, blocked sites been unblocked and overt redirection to a Cox 401 default error page when entering search terms related to this entire issue.  And this I can only attribute to having to use their modem in front of my router. I suspect they have privileged agreements with router manufacturers to utilize firewall passthrough codes that allow this activity to take place.  But the problem is that there is no way to prove such is occurring as they can blame any number of use end activities for the security breach.  Paranoid?  Well if you understand what the Patriot Act allowed our government to access via data mining, you'd  not say such.

HUTCH please, neat or on the rocks;  black'n'chrome or chrome'n'black, pure and unadulterated...like savoring a 20 year old single malt Scotch.  If I wanted a candy color flavor, I'd have ordered a glass of Haro.

"Stop the car, I'm gettin' out.  I can't take it.  Hey look out there's somebody coming
And there's nothin' you can do about it!"

#89 2017-11-15 3:59am

IPD
2 smart for his own good
Website

Last time I had cox, I used the Motorola Surfboard they gave/sold me.  This time, I'm using the same modem/router combo I was using with Comcast when I was in Utah.  I don't really have problems on their 2nd tier service (I want to say 50Mbps), regular price of $59.99.  I've probably got more issues with wifi signal blockage inside my house--than I do with their service.  As a general rule, I advise against use of the ISP's modem/routers.  And renting is just highway robbery.

#90 2017-11-16 9:58am

spyker
Pro Member

Woo hooo! The Kodi software in my android box just updated itself to the latest 17.6 Last night.It now works even better.

$20 goes a long way here
never unarmed!
#VOGR
no fijindus

#91 2017-11-16 6:31pm

Iceman
Pro MemberGrammar Patrol

I never understood why developers didnt have it self update.

neither was any thing ells are government gave away simi free. that's why this country's broke and six trillion dollars in det already.

so what if they make the hole a little more deeper hole. ether way were screwed. but for now some are kinda happy.

#92 2017-11-17 2:21am

IPD
2 smart for his own good
Website

Iceman wrote:

I never understood why developers didnt have it self update.

I'm pretty sure that if the hardware developer made it so software automatically updated--software that can be used for viewing unpaid media content--that would make them complicit in the whole affair.  At least this gives them a degree of plausible deniability.

#93 2017-11-20 8:26am

gooseman67
Centurion Member

Last edited by gooseman67 (2017-11-20 8:32am)

#94 2018-01-08 7:41am

bunnymary
Museum Newbie

Olpair kodi error is one of the irritating error on kodi application, but we can fix easily http://olpairfix.com/

#95 2018-01-08 8:18am

sc00ter
Intermediate

We got a digital antenna after we dropped Direct TV. I went on the roof, pulled off the dish, dropped it in the recycle bin from the roof (had the can ready) and bolted the antenna to the old dish mount. 52 channels for free. Because I dont really care for TV I dont mind commercials and older shows. Now we just need to find cheaper internet! If memory serves me, I think my wife pays $80? a month for internet thru Cox. Heck, it may be more. What bargains/deals have you guys run across for internet connection? What is everyone paying for just internet, if that still exist with all the "bundle deals". Yes, I could go and use the free internet WiFi and Wendy's but I'd prefer not to.

#96 2018-01-08 10:21am

spyker
Pro Member

Kodi has been running llike crap lately,so now I use APK's instead...it's so much easier to use and faster more reliable.Just last week installed a APK that offers around 9000 channels.

$20 goes a long way here
never unarmed!
#VOGR
no fijindus

#97 2018-01-15 7:51am

joeyp
Pro Member

I was paying $224 dollars per month for Verizon DSL service and DirecTV that includes 2 boxes and no premium channels. 

I cancelled DirecTV and bought an HDTV antenna and my bill was $77 per month.  My wife and daughters tried living with no cable but were not happy about it.  I got Netflix for I think 12 per month and they were happier but not thrilled. 

I looked into Hulu plus and gave it a trial.  They are happy with it so I signed up.   It is 63 per month and includes some live tv, content on demand with no commercials, streaming to multiple devices at one time, and 250 hours of cloud based DVR.   We use chrome cast to stream it to TV.  It would be 43 per month if you don’t need to stream on multiple devices and don’t need cloud based DVR.  If you are a channel surfer it would not be my first choice.  If you like to binge watch or know you like certain shows and they are available on Hulu it is great.

DSL 77 with landline phone
Netflix 12
Hulu 63

So I am paying 152 per month  for a savings of about 70 per month .  The wife and daughters are happy so I call it a win. I have had zero buffering issues even when 3 or even 4 devices are streaming at the same time.  I am using the Verizon DSL modem and passing the dsl signal through to a TP link AC 1900 routed placed centrally in my home.

#98 2018-01-15 3:17pm

IPD
2 smart for his own good
Website

Sounds like the wife/daughters should be chipping in for the bill then...since you can live without.

#99 2018-01-17 8:25am

stonie
Pro MemberThe Museum Therapist
For Sale: 23
Website

IPD wrote:

Sounds like the wife/daughters should be chipping in for the bill then...since you can live without.

Yeah well, she might tell him that he can live without "it"          yikes   tongue

Gnarly is when it's beyond radical, it's balls out danger, & or perfection, & or skill or all of that combined. Nobody can shred like that guy, he's gnarly.                                        \m/  ( º . º )  \m/

#100 2018-01-17 9:03am

xtremevert
Pro MemberThe Gate Keeper
Bikes: 19

everytime I see this thread i think your having a baby.

My Father once spoke to me and said "The way you look at your bike is the way I see My children, I look past the imperfections and rough surfaces to the beauty of the finished product."

Board footer