You are not logged in.

What happened to Primo?  RSS Feed

#1 2017-10-23 11:40am

72ss454
Pro MemberRETIRED SKATEBOARD COLLECTOR
Bikes: 4

What happened to Primo?

What is going on with Primo?  I was looking for a Primo part and noticed that Primo has almost completely disappeared from all retailers.  My local shop has always had a good selection of Primo parts since day one and they only had a couple of tires left.  Dan's Comp, Empire, Flatland Fuel, etc. had nothing or extremely limited Primo inventory.  Hell, even Primo's website is nearly out of stock on all items listed.  If I hadn't lost a crank spindle bolt, I would not have noticed, but now I'm curious if Primo is shutting up shop after all these years.

I keep buying and selling, so I guess I wasn't happy with the four I had left.

#2 2017-10-23 12:00pm

revenger712
Pro Member
Bikes: 34
For Sale: 1

Re: What happened to Primo?

I see primo stuff once and awhile at my lbs nothing like it used to be all they have is cranks and bottom brackets sometimes tires

Wanted: damaged pre 85 pk ripper frame

#3 2017-10-23 9:21pm

capt.shred
Pro Member
Bikes: 39

They are done!  Now I can ask crazy prices for all my Primo stuff.  NOT!

#4 2017-10-23 9:34pm

polanco
Pro Member
Bikes: 127
Website

I have been noticing sadly that it's not only Primo. A slew of brands have been slowly disappearing.

#5 2017-10-23 10:17pm

skateparkrider
Pro Member
Bikes: 15
For Sale: 7
Website

I have Primo parts on order to my bike shop right now.  Sold a pair of Oil Slick Powerbite cranks and Oil Slick sprocket to a kid last week, also. 

I think you will start seeing less and less stuff showing up on Dan's due to their current financial situation (rumors of going bankrupt and owing a ton of companies/distros money) because they will no longer be able to order from any suppliers that carry, for example, Primo. 

I did give a quick click around Empire and Albes and found plenty of Primo stuff in stock.  Maybe the part you were looking for is something that most places don't keep in stock.  Either way, if you end up striking out on your hardware let me know.  I can probably help direct you towards some.

Ramping enthusiast.  Grinder of the feeble.  #frontbrakebrethren

#6 2017-10-23 11:00pm

xtremevert
Pro MemberThe Gate Keeper
Bikes: 19

Hardware is easy to source locally.  don't bother going to the lbs. take the other bolt and hit the local nut and bolt shop.  too bad because primo cranks are killer.  sounds like another raceface situation that happened a few years back...

My Father once spoke to me and said "The way you look at your bike is the way I see My children, I look past the imperfections and rough surfaces to the beauty of the finished product."

#7 2017-10-23 11:03pm

72ss454

I even checked Tip Plus, too.

All I need is the larger later size spindle bolt, M11 X 1.  Either my ex's son lost it riding while I was still on medical restrictions or it fell out during one of my two moves this year.  That started my search and then every site online no longer carries any power or hollow bite cranks or parts.  Tempted to email someone at Tip Plus to see what's up.

#8 2017-10-24 6:49am

Pirate_Duck
Pro Member

Primo sold out quite a while back. Very much all in for the money! A VAST number of the team walked away & now most of their replacements are slowly but surely walking away too. I've read so much shit about Rich Hirsch & a few of the higher ups. Literally not interested in anyone that isn't making them major money no matter how hard they work & represent the brand. There's some REALLY good riders getting lost in the Primo Team B.S & a LOT are now taking the offers from other Teams! Ty Morrow for example, he was on Primo for a LONG time, he was messed around with Paychecks, Team Trips, a proposed video & then nothing he now rides for Eclat.

#9 2017-10-24 8:12am

72ss454

We are out of that bolt kit, the parts have been discontinued
Sorry

John Warren| Tip Plus Sales
PH - 800.821.9443 x 106| FAX - 310.885.4316
Email ā€“ jwarren@tipplusbmx.com
Instagram @pr1moman
2677 El Presidio St. | Long Beach | CA | 90810

What a wonderful reply.

I guess it is time to see if I can find my older spindle and order the easier to find spindle bolts.

#10 2017-10-24 10:19am

numismatist
Pro Member"thread killer"
Bikes: 1

just go to NAPA. any time I need a spindle/crank/pinch bolt I go to NAPA. They have bolts rated to handle torque.

My life? Jesus and tequila. I'm satisfied, and I cant deny it.

#11 2017-10-24 10:25am

spyker
Pro MemberpLaYa PiMp

Pirate_Duck wrote:

Primo sold out quite a while back. Very much all in for the money! A VAST number of the team walked away & now most of their replacements are slowly but surely walking away too. I've read so much shit about Rich Hirsch & a few of the higher ups. Literally not interested in anyone that isn't making them major money no matter how hard they work & represent the brand. There's some REALLY good riders getting lost in the Primo Team B.S & a LOT are now taking the offers from other Teams! Ty Morrow for example, he was on Primo for a LONG time, he was messed around with Paychecks, Team Trips, a proposed video & then nothing he now rides for Eclat.

Seems like Primo does not support bmx at all nowadays.Companies like this don't last too long.I remember back when primo burst onto the scene,it was all about Primo parts.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!
never unarmed!
#VOGR
no fijindus

#12 2017-10-24 10:46am

skateparkrider
Pro Member
For Sale: 7
Website

You guys, Primo is still around.  Stranger is also one of their main brands and has a current pro team and are still coming out with new parts.  Sort of like what Sunday is to Odyssey.  I do agree Primo isn't the giant that it once was, but they are for sure still around.  I just made another order through Tip Plus today.  I just think a lot of emphasis is put towards Stranger as a brand right now. 

Also, like I mentioned, I have hella hardware for Primo cranks at my bike shop.  If you really need something give me a shout and we can try to see we can figure something out.

Ramping enthusiast.  Grinder of the feeble.  #frontbrakebrethren

#13 2017-10-24 11:42am

ANTDOG
Pro MemberSite Advocate!
Bikes: 2

72ss sent you a pm

If I Will Throw An Elbow To My Best Friend  In A Turn,what Makes You Think I Wont Do It To You????????????

Former National 29 35-40x  -NBL
2010 2011 Regional #3  NBL

2019 district 174 USABMX

#14 2018-08-10 9:40am

72ss454

Okay, so I have been thinking and came to the conclusion that Primo Power/Hollow bite cranks are a thing of the past due to the GT/Haro retro cranks.  Makes sense if you think of the extra money being spent just because of a decal being added to the arms.  Maybe I'm blind, but I really could not tell the difference between a Primo arm, a GT Power Series arm, or a Haro Fusion arm design.  I still think the Shadow Conspiracy Noctis cranks were a better design.

#15 2018-08-10 10:46am

spyker
Pro MemberpLaYa PiMp

I like the Eclat Maverick cranks if I had to choose a alloy crankset.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!
never unarmed!
#VOGR
no fijindus

#16 2018-08-10 2:17pm

coffin2death
Pro Member
Bikes: 1

Primo were so innovative and interesting.
Great parts like Powerbites, Hollowbites & Excel cranks, probably the most used midschool seatpost clamp, the Viking, The Hemherroid and Pentagon saddles, Moes Bars, Tenderizer Pedals, heaps of good stems, Wall, V Monster tyres, Hula Hoop rims, the list goes on.
I was hopeful when the new cranks came out that things were on the up.
Last five years or so the parts were becoming more generic catalog order type stuff, and the internet/marketing presence wasn't there.
Same thing with Snafu.

"People that don't ride with their finger on their lever suck."
YOUR LOVELY EEK AND YOUR LOVELY RIAH

#17 2018-08-10 2:55pm

blammo585
Pro MemberDyno Lover!

I have some Hollowbites still NIB I bought for a build a few years ago. I debate at this point if I'm going to use them.

I have noticed in recent months, since I have been buying more new parts, and I have a bike shop I can deal with, that so many parts I want are out of stock. Every time I decided on a tire and inquired...out of stock. Decided on a Kink Myriad detangler...out of stock. Short Gyro top cable...out of stock. White Gyro cables...out of stock. Are the companies just not producing that much quantity? Or are there that many people out there buying?

#18 2018-08-10 4:49pm

Burning River
BMXer 4 Life

3 years ago I bought 2 Primo Pentagon seats , 3 sets of pedal Super Tenderizer's . Haven't checked a BMX site other than Empire , in a long time . Always liked their stuff .

" Some may never live, but the crazy never die. "

~ Hunter S. Thompson 

#19 2018-08-10 5:51pm

psychoduddycycles
Pro MemberWAYYYY in the red since 1983
Bikes: 10

Seems like they went down the drain the same time as Danscomp..

Sometimes, to make a paradise, you gotta release a SERPENT.

#20 2018-08-10 8:15pm

Ralph Wiggum
Pro Memberchillywilly263 1%er
For Sale: 2

They dropped Brian Foster and their universe consequently imploded.

Iā€™m not a real doctor but I am a real worm

#21 2018-08-11 2:39am

justlive
Pro MemberRemember remember the 80's forever
Bikes: 12

Wow, glad I bought my Primo sprocket when I did a few weeks ago. Think I got it at flatlandfuel. It's a shame seeing so many great companies starting to whither away.

-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

#22 2018-08-11 8:00am

Pirate_Duck
Pro Member

Seems like Rich/Tip Plus may have realises the backlash they were getting from Pro Riders & Fans/Customers alike. Rich literally head buried in his computer & has been working seriously hard on prototype parts & they're picking up new riders, actually supporting riders. Literally turning everything they were getting B.S for around!
Some of the new parts are looking top notch too!

#23 2018-08-11 10:39am

supergoose

I really miss the V and Dirt Monster tires.

#24 2018-12-06 6:22pm

James Vigil
Pro Member

Love the hollowbites and wish I woulda kept the set I have. Need some 24 tires too lol

A pile of shit has a thousand eyes.

#25 2018-12-07 6:00am

rainmaker
Pro MemberLikes it Dirty

primo tenderizers are the fave pedal at the local trails,sad to see whats going on.

Board footer

View Cart →