You are not logged in.

Crash caused by BIKE FAIL?  RSS Feed

#1 2017-08-25 1:34pm

cmc
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

Crash caused by BIKE FAIL?

Post up if you have had a serious crash because of a bike/mechanical Fail. 

I went down this past Sunday and tore my knee up bad (will need surgery etc), and I'm blaming it on a crappy caliper brake. I rarely try anything on that bike, and I'm used to dialed 990's or disc brakes.  So, I looped out on a fast manual when I went to hit the brake.  So bummed. hmm

20", 22", 24", 26", and 700c !

#2 2017-08-25 1:47pm

DIPSOMANIAC
AdminAdministrator
Bikes: 4

Re: Crash caused by BIKE FAIL?

2 quick ones come to mind:

1st) Riding on a thin sidewalk next to a busy road with a slight incline and while standing and pedalling my chain snapped, went over the bars almost landing on the roadway.
2nd) Flying down the road up to a busy intersection and hit the brakes but one of the pads were loose and slipped down the caliper so i had to jam my foot onto the tire. Fortunately stopped in time.

I'm letting the liquor do most of the thinking.....

***If you sell here take a minute to update your buyer!***
***If you buy here have some patience, this isn't Amazon, it's a hobby to most.***

#3 2017-08-25 1:49pm

smkeatr
Pro Member

I've looped out plenty of times and it wasn't a mechanical failure, it was my own failure to not have the bike dialed and ready to accept my fat ass almost looping out...   lol

#4 2017-08-25 2:32pm

its-all-good
Pro MemberDon't Cheers Me Bro
For Sale: 106
Website

Busted my collar bone bad. Was test riding a bike and the back wheel was loose. I crashed hard! Not going to mention the member user name but he is a member here. I probably should have sued him .

#5 2017-08-25 2:35pm

98brg2d
Pro Member

I snapped a pedal off manualing around the top of a clover-leaf bowl and ran over my own ankle. Still gives me pains.

Bikes: 2005 FBM PW Moto, 2004 S&M Black Bike, 201? S&M ATF, 1999 GT Speed Series 24, 1999 TNT King of Dirt, 2001 Standard STA, 2001 Standard TRLS 250
WTB: Standard stickers (random/any), 2001 STA frame sticker set.
Flat Rate to Canada PSA: https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=764011

#6 2017-08-25 2:46pm

BRICKOS2
Pro MemberTHIRSTY
Bikes: 26
For Sale: 25

^^^ouch

#7 2017-08-25 2:53pm

Garcia_58
Pro MemberBeg
Bikes: 41
For Sale: 11

Chain snapped, knee hits handle bars (ouch), handle bars turn (ouch).

Old beat up rat trap pedal slips off pedal axle, frame pad didn't help.

I am not of this world ----- 1978 GLJ 1979 DG Racer ----  WWG1WGA

#8 2017-08-25 3:38pm

spyndrome
Intermediate
Bikes: 1

Racing my 6th grade teacher in his Subaru Brat when my rear axle slipped and through the chain in between a Tuff wheel and the freewheel. Instantly over the bars and cracked a couple of ribs.

I was winning though.

#9 2017-08-25 10:49pm

Sane
Pro Member
Bikes: 9
Website

I've had a few bad ones..but the accident due to part failure is most absurd.

I was heading home after my front brake cable snapped. It broke in the weirdest spot. Usually, it was my rear cable and would fray and snap somewhere near the lever. This one broke down by the actual brake caliper. Of course, I was running a Potts Mod, so the cable and housing was just dangling from the fork. I ran a bigger loop back then because those craptastic sidepull brakes seemed to work better for me with more cable instead of a tiny loop. So there was, like, a foot of cable hanging down.

I'm right in front of my house after a ten minute ride when out of nowhere, my bike just endos. I wasn't prepared for that at all and certainly wasn't expecting it. The bike and I were traveling at around 10 mph..so I go flying over the bars and didn't get my hands out in time to break my fall. Bam! It feels like I got hit in the face with a baseball bat. I lived on a main road so I got up before a car or semi came along and ran me over. I'm bleeding everywhere and missing some teeth, I think.

My mom drove me to the hospital and I ended up getting 17 stitches in my chin and had to get my two front teeth bonded at the dentist a few days later. All because the cable decided to wrap up in my spokes and stop the wheel dead. I was so close to wrapping that cable up before I rode home and I didn't.

I've had a lot of BMX accidents and a lot of injuries due to BMX...but that's the most ridiculous one and the most expensive one due to a simple failure of a part. Most of the others were due to me pushing myself out of my comfort zone.

I still have the scar on my chin from it..

WANTED - Odyssey Clutch v1 3/8" axle kit(s), ODI P.O.W. Grips, Odyssey Quadrant rims...
===================

#10 2017-08-26 2:45am

AlurencatBMX
Pro Member
Bikes: 14

One of the worst crashes I had was caused by mechanical failure. But it was my mechanics that caused it big_smile

I bought an 82 Ripper NOS in 2000. I built it and rode it once, then stripped it all down and put it into a box ready for cargo to the USA. When I went to build it one of the "50p" G-Sport lock nuts was missing. I had them to stop the dropouts getting chewed up. Any way, like a penis I decided to build and ride it any way. Got up to about as fast as I could go going up the driveway (about 200m) then turned into the main street and went hell for leather again. The back wheel moved, the chain locked and I got thrown over the bars. With this being rural NJ (Salem County) the roads were nothing but black top with sharp stone thrown into it so the tractors could get grip in winter. Grade 1 sandpaper I call it. All I had on was a pair of shorts, it tore me to pieces. Right elbow literally exploded (I put my arms over my head and landed, full force of 14 stone on my right elbow. NB - 13.5lb per stone) and my right ankle was scalped to the bone too. Had to have surgery that day and had a rubber tube inserted down my arm all the way to the wrist in case it needed to ooze or what not. I was laid up for around 2 months all told. Had to have another surgery to replace the skin that had gone (they stretched it around from my inner arm) which left my arm really tight and hard to move. So I had to basically wear that back in etc. All told yeah, about 2-3 months of healing. What sucked was I had just ordered a really nice Faball Clawhammer and I could not use it for three months sad

If you haven't seen the magical stars floating around whilst lying face down in the mud you ain't lived.

"If you asked me what era of BMX I preferred I would look at you blankly and say all of them. If you never stopped riding you wouldn't look back with fond memories you'd create them instead. I come from 'any school'"

#11 2017-08-26 12:30pm

Rude Dawg
Pro Member

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h79/Revelez449/20170817_163752_Film3_zpsjlo5g88g.jpgwent riding after work in San Pedro.Rode up Gaffey to the view point.Then up to the old military outpost.I started popping wheelies and was learning how to use a back caliper brake to feather out a longer wheelie but they werent grabbing.i felt my self going over that comfort piont of angulation.....?????wth...anyway u know what i mean.so i put my right foot outand right before my arse met asphalt i could see my right leg bent to the right like a boomerang ...i could feeel the pulling and popping in my kneee.i thot for sure it was gonna snap.Luckilly nothing happen to the bike.lol
As for me i guess i musta went into shock or something because i was laying on my back telling my self your ok just keep moving...my arse was in the middle of the parking lot laying on my back peddling  looking up at the sycamores .can u say knee jerk...lol...ouch!

WTB 1980s Pioneer Aero Dynamic made in Thailand.

#12 2017-08-26 1:04pm

STREETBEATBEAST
Pro MemberSKYWAY SENSAI
Bikes: 1

The only part fail was an ANLUN STEM on my 86 HARO SPORT. Identicle to the one pictured (except I had black graphite TUFFs)
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/36359/images-2159a1ce7b10.jpeg
I was, 12..I had a 4 1/2 foot quarter that was actually a launch ramp (no vert). It was positioned against the curb in front of the house (on right side of ramp).
We'd launch off the right top corner (4 1/2 feet off ground) and land on the lawn.
This was such a hard impact that landing on grass snapped an ANLUN stem in half.
I was standing on the pedals, arms extended inflight. Landing caused the stem to snap, my bars to drop hitting the front tire and wheel, basically putting my torso into an off balance tuck position.
Somehow, by the grace of God lol, I "ninja" rolled out of it..unscaved.

Same bike, after I put a DYNO SPIN TECH stem COMBO on..we were at the local "MAC's MILK" (7 ELEVEN) one day. At the far corner of the parking lot was a dipping launch spot where the asphalt dropped about two feet to a lower portion of the parking lot.
We'd haul across the lower lot towards the hit and catch air. Did it allot, everyone in the complex was cool with us cause it was the last spot that really wasn't used. This one time, some jerk deliberately pushes his way in to parking spot as my buddy's are trying to warn him that I'm racing towards it. It's also a bit of a blind jump. So, as I'm in full stride, the guy pulls in....
Just as I'm at the point of no return, I see it. 1979 gold Cadillac with a white top. The only yhing I could do was keep truckin!.
I did..from the edge of the top of the jump, to the landing area beyond the Caddy's trunk was about 7 feet.
Lol, I cleared the Caddy..lol, but I nosed dove so bad...well, you can imagine the rest...

Heres my profound, life changing statement.
Lifes a bitch..PASS ME A BEER.

They're reacting and that's wonderful. It's better than them sitting there doing nothing. I say make them react - do whatever's in your power to move the audience, and if that's where it is, and there where it is with America, sex and violence, then I say project it.
ALICE COOPER

#13 2017-08-26 7:03pm

Quadangle79
Bikes: 3

I was jumping a dirt ramp out on to a sandy beach one day on my mcs spider, went nose down into the sand and broke my aluminum handlebars  at the stem and cross bar went face first into the sand.     Had to ride my bike back home with half a handlebar.mad

#14 2017-08-27 6:53am

Capn_Crunch
Pro Member

Pedal shaft broke and sent me down and into a curb while riding in traffic.  I split my knee cap in half but didn't cut or scrape anything.  My knee swelled up to the size of a cantaloupe but my parents wouldn't take me to the doctors because I "could still walk." For years I could separate the two halves.  I still occassionally have knee problems today...

Anyone know how to get spray paint out of a baby's eyes?

#15 2017-08-27 7:24am

El Gecko
Pro Member
Bikes: 7

When I was like 12, I had just built my Freeform for the very first time. I went out for a test ride and launched off a little grassy rise, but the front wheel came off in midair.  Luckily I wasn't going fast and the ground was really soft so it just stopped me dead and I shoved about 6" of fork into the ground.  After that I started tightening my wheels as tight as I could get them.

Relax.
Balance.
Focus.

#16 2017-08-27 7:34am

perront
Pro MemberThe Red Dog of The Hills
Bikes: 20

spyndrome wrote:

Racing my 6th grade teacher in his Subaru Brat when my rear axle slipped and through the chain in between a Tuff wheel and the freewheel. Instantly over the bars and cracked a couple of ribs.

I was winning though.

Winner!
A couple of months ago, I was racing to catch up with Critical Mass on my old 20" Powerlite.  The tall ass CW bars loosened up and slipped forward to full Chicago mode.  Fortunately, they moved slowly enough for me to redistribute my weight, and I avoided eating it.

Last edited by perront (2017-08-27 7:41am)

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonRobinson
PowerlitePowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksman!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#17 2017-08-27 9:07am

pnj
Expert

many many broken chains over the years.

CMC, what crappy bike were you riding that has calipers?

Leave those old crappy bikes in the past, man. they sucked then, they suck now. smile

Sending healin' vibes your way!!

There are no carpet queens in the woods

#18 2017-08-27 5:21pm

cmc
Pro Member

pnj wrote:

many many broken chains over the years.

CMC, what crappy bike were you riding that has calipers?

Leave those old crappy bikes in the past, man. they sucked then, they suck now. smile

Sending healin' vibes your way!!

S&M Widowmaker. It was a vintage BMX cruise.  I almost got 990s welded into that frame around 1996.  I know there are a few calipers out there that can be made to work decently (there's one in my head I can't quite remember the name).  A lot of people used Pit Bull's, but the only time I got Pit Bulls to work was on a 1993-ish GT, when I put them on the chainstays and ran the cable through the hole in the seat tube (without that "arm").  Still they would have been better than the crap brake I have on there.

20", 22", 24", 26", and 700c !

#19 2017-08-27 5:44pm

psychoduddycycles
Pro MemberWAYYYY in the red since 1983
Bikes: 10

I've had to retire from serious riding a few years ago, broke both my ankles, both sides, riding a 20' wall like an idiot. Now I got more metal than foot. Yay me.

Anyway, I still ride. Usually cautiously but, about 2 weeks ago, I was riding a cheap ass haro and hit a pothole in the dark. Faceplant. Broke my nose and busted my face wide open. 40 stiches later, I'm apt to do it again..

Sometimes, to make a paradise, you gotta release a SERPENT.

#20 2017-08-27 9:13pm

fortyfoursomething
Pro Member
For Sale: 11

Never had a quality drive train while growing up racing in the mid 90's. Always some flimsy one piece sugino spider crap. Chain came off so many times. So many smashed faces. Eventually went to an Echo w a mouthguard.... Now every bike I own has Profiles, Flights, or Prince Alberts....

union made ben davis quality is on jones.....
PS. Done with the buy/sell/trade game....but there's lots still for sale. You know what to do.

#21 2017-08-28 5:19am

Rideflat666
Expert

2003 I was riding one of those Chad Degroot Haros. The Haro Freecoaster seized up mid death truck, the pedal slammed into my shin body slamming me to the ground. My middle and index finger too the brunt of the fall and both were broken backwards at a 45 degree angle. I reset them myself and went to the ER. This injury pretty much caused me to stop riding for several years. Although my fingers work fine now. I do have arthritis flair ups every once in awhile. That hub was trash. I will not touch any Haro product until this day. similar stories with KHE, Dragonfly products. Will never touch them regardless of who says the are good.

#22 2017-08-28 5:38am

pwh4130
Pro Member
Website

I'm famous for that!  Actually, that was the cause of about every third crash I had in the 80's!

ride your bike until it breaks.

#23 2017-08-28 6:23am

cobra_standard
Pro Member
Bikes: 6
For Sale: 3

Riding my brand new "Cobra (standard)", dropped off a tall curb about a foot high landed and snapped the shitty Nitto copy stem clean in half...  Faceplanted hard and removed a lot of skin off my face.  A good Samaritan driving past saw the whole thing and threw me and my bike into the back of his truck and drove me home.  Bike shop that sold me the bike came through with a new stem and a free hat!  Stoke.  roll

#24 2017-08-28 7:42am

HuffyShredder
Pro MemberDJ Clintoris In da House!
Bikes: 12
Website

Some damn good stories up there.  Lovin' the cleared the gold Cadi story.  We had too many fails.  This one ended my never-started BMX career back in 1987 or so. 

I rode my poor little Murray BMX bike like a 7yo pro, and broke it pretty quick.  My uncle had scored me a freewheel back wheel to replace the pedal brake wheel.  We killed jump ramps and the neighbor's quarter pipe all day, every day.  The stem bolt snapped as I rode down the driveway at full speed one day.  The bars flew up in the air and I bit it. 

I wish I still had that wheel, coolest part I ever had.  My mother harassed the mfg until they sent me a 24" mtb that spoiled the rest of my youth in BMX.  With as many jumps as that bike took, I'm surprised I didn't get the break and lava rock/tar rash from a jump.

Last edited by HuffyShredder (2017-08-28 7:43am)

I destroyed my Murray and Huffy bikes as a kid in the 80s while my friends rode nice bikes..  Shitty gear can cause injury and hurt your children. Hurting your children is child abuse...  Don't abuse your children!
09 Haro Team Issue XL 38I,  95 Mongoose Expert Pro 38W, 15 RL Flight Jr. 8I, 17 USA BMX Strider 3B, and maybe a few others...

#25 2017-08-28 7:57am

made2drag
Pro Member

I don't remember what jump it was or how high I went, but I remember landing really hard and bending one side of my Mike D. strike zone bars.  The landing was brutal, one side bent and all the downward force brought that grip and my hand off.... my chin slammed the crossbar.  I think I ran into a tree too.  It was hard doing flatland afterwards with those bent bars, but I adapted and could still work on my hang fives.  I rode those bars for months until I got birthday money....

Increase the Peace

Board footer

View Cart →