SAVE THIS SITE NOW!  RSS Feed

#1 2017-07-07 10:16pm

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member“The Hammer”
Bikes: 77
For Sale: 5
Website

SAVE THIS SITE NOW!

This Photobucket thing is a pretty big deal. As long as I've been here users have been directed towards Photobucket specifically to host photos. That shit is hitting the fan in infinite proportions as we speak. There is a lot at stake here. What's the plan moving forward??? It looks like a lot of valubale information is at imminent risk of being lost if it hasn't been already. There is a lot at stake here and I hope that the powers that be are treating it accordingly.

Please feel free to combine this with other threads.

#2 2017-07-07 10:19pm

brackett
AdminTuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Bikes: 17
For Sale: 2

Re: SAVE THIS SITE NOW!

I agree. It's cool that we host our own pics now but that's just for pro member which I have put in a request for all members to have that option.

I promise we are on it.

Best thing for now is to save images as is from photo bucket.

[img]http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/71353/yung-50x5c393b3691.gif[/img]

#3 2017-07-07 10:20pm

brackett

We took a hit in the admin section too. This is a BIG problem for sure.

[img]http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/71353/yung-50x5c393b3691.gif[/img]

#4 2017-07-07 10:22pm

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member“The Hammer”
Website

brackett wrote:

I agree. It's cool that we host our own pics now but that's just for pro member which I have put in a request for all members to have that option.

I promise we are on it.

Best thing for now is to save images as is from photo bucket.

Thanks! It's ridiculous on the Photobucket end to just take everything away. I would just hate to see so many years of input to this page go to waste.

A picture is worth a thousand words...

#5 2017-07-07 10:22pm

radovr
Pro MemberDamn dem mods
Bikes: 6

For the last couple of months been using the blue button 'select images to upload ' straight from the phone.  Bit of hit and miss really.  Would be great if that worked without resizing everything.

I have nothing profound to say other than   , go forth and multiple  .

#6 2017-07-07 10:23pm

radovr
Pro MemberDamn dem mods
Bikes: 6

But agree this photo bucket fiasco is a damn shame

I have nothing profound to say other than   , go forth and multiple  .

#7 2017-07-07 10:25pm

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member“The Hammer”
Website

Moving forward is one discussion. Losing 15 years of information is the other. How many people will stay here if it's a start from scratch???

#8 2017-07-07 10:33pm

brackett

I just sent this to Nate and he's always right on the MF!

We need every member to be able to host pics on the site now more than ever even to save the photobucket pics that are left.

We are sinking.

Please look into this ASAP!

And if you have any ideas on how to save photo bucket pics from the past please let us know.

Here is an example of what it's done to the staff:  http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=303756

Pics are disappearing left and right. It's really bad Nate or I wouldn't bother you.

Here is the newest thread with members concerned:  http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=736224

#9 2017-07-07 10:36pm

robk131313
Admin*Mr. Vacation*
Bikes: 8

brackett wrote:

We need every member to be able to host pics on the site now more than ever even to save the photobucket pics that are left.

We are sinking.

And if you have any ideas on how to save photo bucket pics from the past please let us know.

Here is an example of what it's done to the staff:  http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=303756

Pics are disappearing left and right. It's really bad Nate or I wouldn't bother you.

Here is the newest thread with members concerned:  http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=736224

Looks like you posted this in the wrong spot,.....

#10 2017-07-07 10:39pm

brackett

robk131313 wrote:

brackett wrote:

We are sinking.

Looks like you posted this in the wrong spot,.....

Nah. We're working on it. That one link will be dead if that's what you're worrying about.

#11 2017-07-07 11:25pm

squirrelsmith
Pro MemberLoves Naked Animated Girls!
Bikes: 3

Someone inform me

ya'll wanna see a dead body?

#12 2017-07-07 11:47pm

Raven
ModeratorRetired Action Man
Bikes: 13
Website

I hear you Kurt it is a big problem ,,lots of images from really good threads gone not only from this site but all over the web  photobucket has really created a mess and then has the hide to ask for close to $300 hundred dollars from people really poor form in my opinion and I honestly hope members boycott them from now on ,,,funny thing is I could sort of see it coming to this as photobucket is a very popular image loader ,,,, they are in a position were they can get away with this and make huge profits........sad
In regards to recovering lost valuable images from this site we will have to see what Nate comes up with as he is the Tech genius ,,,,I hope he can get as much back as possible , I have been cruising around the site and noticed a lot of images gone , it is heart breaking to see...hmm
One thing we all so should consider is using the site uploader more ,that way the image will not be lost when other image loader sites get greedy like photobucket and the image stay with in this site....wink

Remember guys and girls the machines are taking over I can hear that music from the Terminator .............https://s6.postimg.org/btgmowh5t/T_emoticon_2_by_MousyDy_by_Terminator_club.gif

This Post is .........."CHUCK NORRIS APPROVED"      [img]https://s6.postimg.cc/wsvxd51r5/sticker_220x200_pad_220x200_ffffff_u6.jpg[/img]   "The Quintessential 80,s Action man"

#13 2017-07-08 12:02am

Hobbes12
AdminDon’t Be a Wussy!
Bikes: 37
For Sale: 1
Website

Kurt_Rad wrote:

Moving forward is one discussion. Losing 15 years of information is the other. How many people will stay here if it's a start from scratch???

With the Museum hosting the Museum Bike Pics, that will save this Site from ever going bye-bye big_smile

This Site would be in the dump/dead if we let PB host Pics for the Museum Bikes yikes mad

hobbes1278@gmail.com
Auburn Blue Max DB Dyno ELF Fit FA GT Haro Hawk Hutch JMC Mongoose National Pro Redline Roger DeCoster Schwinn SE WTP

#14 2017-07-08 12:02am

Hobbes12
AdminDon’t Be a Wussy!
Bikes: 37
Website

Scraplord wrote:

Maybe they just have a virus?

More like they trying to line there pockets???

hobbes1278@gmail.com
Auburn Blue Max DB Dyno ELF Fit FA GT Haro Hawk Hutch JMC Mongoose National Pro Redline Roger DeCoster Schwinn SE WTP

#15 2017-07-08 12:08am

Raven
ModeratorRetired Action Man
Bikes: 13
Website

Yeh greed is the motivation ,,,,their site has changed a lot over the years the increased adverts and constant emails about updating to a paid account and getting your images printed etc ,,,I gave them the flick some time ago because the site was a mine field to use ,every time you uploaded and image they tried to sell you some crap.roll
only way to stop this happening again is use the site uploader so the images stay with this site smile

This Post is .........."CHUCK NORRIS APPROVED"      [img]https://s6.postimg.cc/wsvxd51r5/sticker_220x200_pad_220x200_ffffff_u6.jpg[/img]   "The Quintessential 80,s Action man"

#16 2017-07-08 2:47am

blammo585
Pro MemberDyno Lover!
Bikes: 2

I didn't even think about the lost information side of things. I didn't really know it was a problem until I tried to upload to photobucket last night and couldn't. I don't know what they're thinking. I don't know who would pay for the service they provide. Not me.

#17 2017-07-08 2:56am

numismatist
Pro Member"thread killer"
Bikes: 1

I stopped using photobucket YEARS ago. Imgur is far better, and you can post just like you did with PB, by copying the IMG tag.

Imgur does not work on this site..GAry

My life? Jesus and tequila. I'm satisfied, and I cant deny it.

#18 2017-07-08 3:12am

scenecreamer
BMXer 4 Life
Bikes: 3

I'm confused, what is going on with Photobucket? I've been using them for @12 years. Do I need to back up my Photobucket account?

I might not deliver when I say I will, but when I do it's always right on time.

It's not my birthday, but that's my name on the cake

"...posing at the 7-11 with your colorful shiny bike you don't do tricks on is played out." -G.

#19 2017-07-08 3:13am

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member“The Hammer”
Website

Hobbes12 wrote:

Kurt_Rad wrote:

With the Museum hosting the Museum Bike Pics, that will save this Site from ever going bye-bye big_smile

This Site would be in the dump/dead if we let PB host Pics for the Museum Bikes yikes mad

Not sure about that. The guys that provided like 90% of the good information that we draw on from old threads aren't really here anymore. Honestly, a lot of the guys here now aren't of the same caliber and that old information isn't going to come back because this site now hosts photos.

#20 2017-07-08 3:14am

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member“The Hammer”
Website

numismatist wrote:

I stopped using photobucket YEARS ago. Imgur is far better, and you can post just like you did with PB, by copying the IMG tag.

They'll be doing the exact same thing before you know it

#21 2017-07-08 3:27am

AlurencatBMX
Pro Member
Bikes: 14

The problem with Photobucket is cats delete the pics after so long. Let's say you moved on from BMX and decided to make room. So most of the very old threads were missing the pics any way.

I get annoyed when people post here expecting it all to work just to find out how much money they are going to make from a frame that us guys name for them. That pisses me off. I hate people who abuse resources, not use them as intended. As such $20 is not a bad price to pay when you consider that basically they would have gotten bugger all on Ebay without our naming "service".

What do I do when I want to ID a bike? I come here, I look here, I browse through bikes until I find my bike. Even Google comes here FFS. People need to realise that museums are a finite resource, because some poor bugger is the one footing the bill.

Please, if you are not a Pro Member then for now at least pay the $20. I assure you, you would be much sadder and much worse off should this place disappear. Even if you don't want to post here you will soon make your $20 back in the pros here naming your shit or selling one reasonably priced item.

If you haven't seen the magical stars floating around whilst lying face down in the mud you ain't lived.

"If you asked me what era of BMX I preferred I would look at you blankly and say all of them. If you never stopped riding you wouldn't look back with fond memories you'd create them instead. I come from 'any school'"

#22 2017-07-08 3:35am

general hustler
"GHramps"
Bikes: 12
Website

link to a thread with some photobucket pic hostage info: http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=735527

This just in: Drinking water supply has been compromised. Symptoms include acting irrational and disrespectful when discussing race, religion, and politics. Many impacted.

--------------------------------
NOW YOU FUNNY TOO
--------------------------------

#23 2017-07-08 3:44am

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 79

squirrelsmith wrote:

Someone inform me

mypk wrote:

looked into the upgradhttp://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/16307/photobucket5955d26085.png
e $300 !!! or lose all your pictures on photobucket and any were ells you shared photo bucket hosted pictures.

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#24 2017-07-08 5:48am

troynlori
Moderator"Pedal Peddler"
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 121

So....  Nate will probably spit by the suggestion, but let's say there is an algorithm that goes through this site, finds the Pbucket address of every picture that is currently here (forget the stuff already gone), downloads the picture from Pbucket on to a drive, then reuploads the picture to the same place here on the site but using the site hosting to do it.  I'm sure it's technically possible, but perhaps impractical.

It is a stinky deal, but what's the best we can make of it?

Hutch Fun Facts: All main line Hutch's with digits only S/N (no letters or baseballs) on the rear drop outs were US made and had their dropouts stamped between late '83 and '86.  Obviously the frame manufacture would occur slightly after that, even if they just threw 'em in a bucket randomly.  There is an obvious date code in that the first 2 digits seem to be the month and the 3rd digit is pretty obviously the last digit of the year running from '83-'86.

#25 2017-07-08 5:48am

Irata
Pro Member
Bikes: 30

It's not just this site, it's thousands of forums across the internet. It's a shit move on photobuckets end. The only way to change it is via public pressure, which has been building for the last few days.

I understand that on their end, they've finally realized that they built a company without a sustainable business model and needed to change that to survive.

But charging $400 is insane.

Undoing a decade of the Internet is a catastrophically bad business decision.

I don't see how they navigate this debacle successfully without both releasing images hosted prior to the policy change, and a significant reduction in 3rd party hosting fees.

Board footer

View Cart →