You are not logged in.

Your most hated bike/parts?  RSS Feed

#1 2017-03-14 1:03pm

AlurencatBMX
Pro Member
Bikes: 13

Your most hated bike/parts?

OK so we have plenty of fan threads covering SE, Standard, GT etc. I don't need to name them all.

I've had a couple of bikes over the years that I absolutely hated though, and parts that were just as bad. Please note - this is all just opinion. And opinions are all subjective. One man's trash etc etc, please let's not get into arguments smile

OK. So my most hated bike. 1997 Hoffman Condor. When I worked at the bike shop this thing was hanging on the wall with a ridiculous price tag on it when I first started at the shop and it stayed there for about a year. Then my Quad got stolen and I asked my boss if he could do me a decent price on the Condor. He says OK, so I build it as a bike. God, it was awful. Firstly the frame. The seat post was almost like 45' pointing backward and this was compounded by the forks which were the weirdest I've ever used. The front wheel is like a mile out in front of the bike when you fit it because of the drops/placement of them.

I remember taking it out of the shop, doing a '180 on it and landing about 2/3 of the way through falling over on my ass. Two days later I asked my boss if I could clean it up and put it on sale (it wasn't dirty but I made sure it was dirt free) thankfully a few days later a kid came in and bought it so I was off the hook. I don't know what Mat Hoffman is on but I would like an ounce of it. Seriously that bike was the most hoopty thing I've ever ridden.

Parts.

Simplex mags. It was the late 80s and some one offered me a set of them for cheap so I bought them. He promised me they were, and I quote - "Stronger than Skyways !". I bragged to my friends that these mags were awesome. We went to a building site and my first trick was bunny hopping over a hole about 3ft across and 10ft deep (for underground pipes etc). I came up short and caught the back wheel on the lip of the hole and there was this ginormous crack and sure enough I had broken the back wheel in two. A solid split straight through the rim. Had to walk home..

80's PK ripper. 84 to be exact. I bought it from a friend in 2000 as NOS. It was too, it still had the cardboard tags on the frame and the forks were in the box. The guy had a pink quad too (like a pastel light pink) that was again NOS but he didn't want to sell it. Any way, I built it and it was like stupid short. I managed to crash it on my first ride in the USA and wound up in hospital with a scalped elbow. I sold it shortly afterwards.

If you haven't seen the magical stars floating around whilst lying face down in the mud you ain't lived.

"If you asked me what era of BMX I preferred I would look at you blankly and say all of them. If you never stopped riding you wouldn't look back with fond memories you'd create them instead. I come from 'any school'"

#2 2017-03-14 1:13pm

spyker
Pro MemberDr. of Thuganonics

Re: Your most hated bike/parts?

ACS Z rims(complete utter junk)
Quil stems
1 piece cranks
euro bb
sidepull caliper brakes
threaded headsets

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
Lying cheating untrustworthy scamming livestock screwing ugly crater face racist snitch!

#3 2017-03-14 1:15pm

AlurencatBMX
Pro Member

Yeah as much as I loved Zrims (because they looked lovely on a colour coded bike) they were so easy to destroy that it's not even funny. You had to ride your bike like a right Nancy not to bend them.

If you haven't seen the magical stars floating around whilst lying face down in the mud you ain't lived.

"If you asked me what era of BMX I preferred I would look at you blankly and say all of them. If you never stopped riding you wouldn't look back with fond memories you'd create them instead. I come from 'any school'"

#4 2017-03-14 1:18pm

spyker

Whn I had z rims.They were destroyed within 2 weeks.I wrecked the rear wheel jumping off a small ramp landing a 360 too hard.It was more lkie a "j" rim afterwards.

Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
Lying cheating untrustworthy scamming livestock screwing ugly crater face racist snitch!

#5 2017-03-14 1:20pm

AlurencatBMX
Pro Member

spyker wrote:

Whn I had z rims.They were destroyed within 2 weeks.I wrecked the rear wheel jumping off a small ramp landing a 360 too hard.It was more lkie a "j" rim afterwards.

Yup and of course being like 11 years old it was impossible to re-lace them so you were SOL. I can't even begin to tell you how many bikes I saw when I was a kid with a Z rim on the front and some cheap POS on the back big_smile

#6 2017-03-14 1:24pm

86seeS
Pro Member
Bikes: 79
For Sale: 1
Website

jet fuel colored parts and frames = hate smile

#7 2017-03-14 1:43pm

spyker

AlurencatBMX wrote:

spyker wrote:

Yup and of course being like 11 years old it was impossible to re-lace them so you were SOL. I can't even begin to tell you how many bikes I saw when I was a kid with a Z rim on the front and some cheap POS on the back big_smile

I was more like 14 years old.But anyways,I ended up trade them for a set of Araya Aero wheels to a kid that wanted z rims bad(destroyed these too eventually).So it was a win win for me.

#8 2017-03-14 1:48pm

Indyjps
Museum Addict
Bikes: 21

I'm staying on the sidelines to watch this one, somebody will get all pissy before it's over.

MTNBKSUK

#9 2017-03-14 1:53pm

chakuech
Pro Memberride a bike
Bikes: 15

86seeS wrote:

jet fuel colored parts and frames = hate smile

Were you not looking to trade parts for anything jet fuel at the midwest show?

WANTED:
The crate the Hutch HPV Prototype was shipped in. Who has it?? PM me
Hutch Purple Reign parts: Hi-Caliber brakes, and Chain!!!!
Less talk, more riding. Unless we're talkin REPOP!!

#10 2017-03-14 1:54pm

Lynk
Centurion Member

I hated the Wal-Mart Huffys lol

edit: and the Murrays

Last edited by Lynk (2017-03-14 1:55pm)

#11 2017-03-14 3:48pm

El Goodo
Expert

Grab-Ons.  Skyway aluminum axle pegs.  Odyssey clamp-on fork standers.  90-degree layback posts.  Bash-guards.

#12 2017-03-14 3:54pm

sawdoff85
Pro MemberKing Tut
Bikes: 6
For Sale: 7

Any bike or part by Next or Avigo.  Anything by Bell...neco and dynatron headsets. 22.2 stems +1 on Euro brackets.

You know who you are
"I'm ina phone booth, I needa ambuh-lance!"
I do not use drugs, and I quit smokin weed. That's probably why I have zero tolerance for incompetence and idiocy

Iso: bi-oval predator forks, vp-666 pedals, powerlite p-51 f/f , bullet proof stuff

#13 2017-03-14 4:08pm

Scraplord
Pro MemberTaste My Metal
For Sale: 24
Website

white painted frames
aluminum cranks
Tuff Wheels
Z-rims
double clamp stems
colored tires

Still searching for my missing bikes from BITD. 1979 Blue Max serial: CI9 221346 and 1977 Webco serial: 42667. Both were last seen at Spoke and Sport Bicycles in Spokane, WA around 1984. $600 reward if found!!

"Have you ever noticed that other people`s stuff is shit and your shit is stuff?" - George Carlin

WANT TO BUY 26" COOK BROS 3 BAR CRUISER!!

#14 2017-03-14 4:39pm

NormNorth76
Intermediate

Any frame or fork standers that aren't pegs.

We're only gonna die for our own arrogance, that's why we might as well take our time.

#15 2017-03-14 4:43pm

Makflip
Pro Member

This thread is gonna be awesome.

Antifreeze colored parts. Which is weird because I love all florescent and dayglo colors. But antifreeze is so ugly.

ODI long grips... I know people love them but I don't like how they feel.

Sidepull brakes

My wife's Haro 300. No matter what I try and offer her she won't let me sell it.

Non adjustable tripod seats. My ass isn't the same angle as everyone else's I guess.

I will add more to this thread as I come across stuff I hate.

Looking for:
1990 Group 1 Multicolor

#16 2017-03-14 4:49pm

PBR_Streetgang
Museum Addict
Bikes: 5

man i loved my condor f/f, favorite frameset i have ever ridden, even to this day.
made a thread about my least favorite bike, the completely shit 1993 Bully Piston, here:
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=691500

"You want it one way, but it's the other way."

#17 2017-03-14 4:50pm

highspd
Expert

Hutch beartrap pedals! There should never be anything that skin peeling, shredding, hole poking bolted to any BMX bike!

Mid School Maniac!

#18 2017-03-14 4:50pm

baron340
Pro Member
Bikes: 21
For Sale: 1

Grab-ons (foam trashed after 2 days)  snake posts, and double-clamp stems.  (never held)   Oh, and screw-on pegs.     And aluminum mags.   

Hard plastic "octopus" grips too.     And, yes I will say it:  KKT Lightenings.  (teeth were not aggressive enough and too small for anything over size 8 shoe)

Do not deal with Niagara Cycles, NY. 

Looking for AC 180mm drive side crank arm chrome.

#19 2017-03-14 4:53pm

bRADdlphns
Pro MemberOld freestyle dad/Ted's biggest fan
Bikes: 32
For Sale: 3
Website

Jokerman's bikes !!!! lollol

but not a fan of freestyle bikes thats for sure.

don't put front brakes on a race bike, it looks dumb.

all about the U !!!!!!!!

#20 2017-03-14 4:53pm

PBR_Streetgang
Museum Addict
Bikes: 5

for parts i hated, odyssey TKO stem, DC bulldog brakes, odyssey barefoot tires, black widow cranks, odyssey VPX pedals, dyno pretzel bars

"You want it one way, but it's the other way."

#21 2017-03-14 4:57pm

Dirty Habits
Pro MemberMy mother was a Witch, she was burned alive
Bikes: 41
For Sale: 29

Any part that has been cut or personalize to there likeing.....

Any bike part that has been painted, in a color that's not standard factory colors.

Last edited by Dirty Habits (2017-03-14 4:58pm)

I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness............-Emo Philips

#22 2017-03-14 5:35pm

Scraplord
Pro MemberTaste My Metal
For Sale: 24
Website

Polished parts too.

Still searching for my missing bikes from BITD. 1979 Blue Max serial: CI9 221346 and 1977 Webco serial: 42667. Both were last seen at Spoke and Sport Bicycles in Spokane, WA around 1984. $600 reward if found!!

"Have you ever noticed that other people`s stuff is shit and your shit is stuff?" - George Carlin

WANT TO BUY 26" COOK BROS 3 BAR CRUISER!!

#23 2017-03-14 5:42pm

Jenny Caldwell
Ford Rules!!!
Bikes: 14

Suntour headlock. Looked cool but a poor design with those set screws tighten down on the fork threads. Just asking for trouble!

Wanted: Anything Eddie Fiola.

#24 2017-03-14 5:58pm

Spintech
Pro MemberMinimalist hoarder
Bikes: 4
For Sale: 5

This handlebar! It's the stupidest, laziest, ugliest, piece of shit ever made:

http://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/img_00000834_lg.jpg

Just look at that ugly thing. I can't believe they let a guy weld two pipes that look like that. What's worse is people actually bought and rode it! yikesyikesmad When I see a bike with this bar, I feel like kicking a cat or smashing everything in the house.

-Joe

#25 2017-03-14 6:08pm

Makflip
Pro Member

Oh and it's not a part but I hate seeing on "custom" listed in the bike title on Craigslist.

Looking for:
1990 Group 1 Multicolor

Board footer

View Cart →