You are not logged in.

990 Front Brake Tip Video.

#1 2017-01-23 10:27am

pwh4130
Pro Member
Bikes: 8
Website

990 Front Brake Tip Video.

I shot this quickly to go over some basics for all you guys new to 990's up front or want to make your brake work better.  One thing I forgot to mention is DO NOT USE A LINEAR CABLE.  Linear cables are designed for shifting and low pressure applications.  They will compress and rob energy to make your brake feel squishy.  Linear cables also do not bend around the fork leg smoothly. 

Three things: 

Lubrication
Spring Tension
Cable length and routing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFF0HBS … e=youtu.be

ride your bike until it breaks.

#2 2017-01-23 10:34am

Garcia_58
Pro MemberBeg
Bikes: 44
For Sale: 6

Re: 990 Front Brake Tip Video.

cool

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain
I am not of this world ---- 1978 GLJ 1979 DG Racer ----  WWG1WGA

#3 2017-01-26 7:09pm

midschool22
Pro MemberFlatbiller
Bikes: 9
For Sale: 1

Good stuff Brett!

#4 2017-01-26 9:14pm

azaussie
Pro Member
Bikes: 18

pwh4130 wrote:

I shot this quickly to go over some basics for all you guys new to 990's up front or want to make your brake work better.  One thing I forgot to mention is DO NOT USE A LINEAR CABLE.  Linear cables are designed for shifting and low pressure applications.  They will compress and rob energy to make your brake feel squishy.  Linear cables also do not bend around the fork leg smoothly. 

Three things: 

Lubrication
Spring Tension

I'm waiting on a fork with 990 mounts so when it arrives I will give you tips a try. I am surprised about not using a linear cable as one of the LBS managers told me that the liner cable was the way to go.

#5 2017-01-27 3:48am

pwh4130
Pro Member
Bikes: 8
Website

azaussie wrote:

pwh4130 wrote:

Three things: 

Lubrication
Spring Tension

I'm waiting on a fork with 990 mounts so when it arrives I will give you tips a try. I am surprised about not using a linear cable as one of the LBS managers told me that the liner cable was the way to go.

Ask yourself, does he ride a bmx fork with a front brake or did someone tell him they are better?

ride your bike until it breaks.

#6 2017-01-27 4:36am

crash test dumby
BMXer 4 Life
Bikes: 24

Will definitely have to give this a watch when I get home so I can hear the audio.  Thanks Brett.

#7 2017-04-01 7:13am

azaussie
Pro Member
Bikes: 18

pwh4130 wrote:

azaussie wrote:

pwh4130 wrote:

Three things: 

Lubrication
Spring Tension

Ask yourself, does he ride a bmx fork with a front brake or did someone tell him they are better?

Thanks Brett. My forks finally came in and I setup my brakes per your directions. They are perfect.

Board footer