You are not logged in.

HOW DID YOUR BIKES GET STOLEN BACK IN THE 80'S

#101 2019-08-19 5:09am

frozenotter
Banned

Re: HOW DID YOUR BIKES GET STOLEN BACK IN THE 80'S

So, all the innocent are here? It's only fair to follow up this thread with "How many bikes did you steal back in the '80's?". lollol

WANTED: 20" Skyway XL Retro Frame or '84 XL Frame in White. Excellent Condition Only. Money is Prepared for YOUR Pocket.

#102 2019-08-19 9:29am

Jamoranger3
Pro MemberDeaf Dude
Bikes: 56
For Sale: 1

First I had my chrome Magna with GT goodies stolen out of comic store. Yes inside the comic store!

Second I had my GT interceptor and Vertigo stolen out of locked shed. They cut lock off.

Third I had my same GT interceptor that are recovered &
Stolen from inside the library.

Four I had my another Magna with all GT parts mods I still have current bike but they stolen the rear wheel at library bike rack because locked was around the frame and front wheel but not rear wheel.https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/220860/0b578499-5c2f-41c9-9319-194db65b06c85d5ace3183.jpeg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/220860/56ea5310-9ab9-4471-81bc-e816d69730f15d5ace2451.jpeg

JAMMY's GT/Dyno

Oversea, if you want to buy my bike-
add $100 for the hassle with custom paperwork and risky!

#103 2019-08-19 10:40am

VDC-53
Pro MemberMonkey Junky
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 5

STREETBEATBEAST wrote:

Thank God mine never did..however, one of mine did get stolen after the fact..
Ill explain more...
I was a dumb kid like we all still are lol and I wanted something. Probably an R/C truck or something. So I sold my 86 chrome/w blue and white decals HARO SPORT. Just built it up with mostly cool parts. I sold it to my  british buddy fresh off the boat. He rides it to the local bad area mall and didnt lock it up. Poof! SPORT IS M.I.A.

Lol I remember that I traded 1980 redline mx-2 all pimped , for one of those dame rc trucks .... f##king regretted that for years

——-Thread killer——-

#104 2019-08-19 11:30am

Gylles Smyth
Pro Member
Bikes: 11

CHAMPION-26 wrote:

As most of us who were around in the 1980's remember how bad bike theft was back then.

Let's share our story's of how it happened.
Here are my three bikes...

3. Kuwahara Magician...
I had it flipped upside down outside 7-Eleven while I played a video game. I watched that punk ass flip it over, jump on it and ride off... I ran out and gave chase on foot but couldn't catch him.

What's your story?

Unbelievable how many bikes were lost this way BITD, including my younger brother's Hutch.

I never had a bike go missing when I was younger, but ultimately had three bikes stolen from the parking garage of my condo building in two separate incidents (my Redline Proline in 2015 and my GT Pro Series and son's GT Power Series in 2017).  Crazy thing was that both times the thieves took the time to extricate my bikes from the locks, but didn't even bother with my neighbor's carbon Diamondback downhill MTBs.

I'm not a shredder, just a songwriter that plays too many notes.

46-50 Novice - USA BMX WA-01 - 2014 FTB Revolution AA-Pro - https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/factory_team_bikes/104086

#105 2019-08-19 2:00pm

IPD
2 smart for his own good
Bikes: 3
Website

frozenotter wrote:

So, all the innocent are here? It's only fair to follow up this thread with "How many bikes did you steal back in the '80's?". lollol

Only time I recall snagging someone's bike was to remove parts from it that were actually mine.  Then I returned the bike to where I'd picked it up.

It's like the man says, there's no problems...only solutions.

#106 2019-08-19 4:10pm

frozenotter
Banned

IPD wrote:

frozenotter wrote:

Only time I recall snagging someone's bike was to remove parts from it that were actually mine.  Then I returned the bike to where I'd picked it up.

Just kidding. Would be a funny follow-up though. LOL.

WANTED: 20" Skyway XL Retro Frame or '84 XL Frame in White. Excellent Condition Only. Money is Prepared for YOUR Pocket.

#107 2019-08-19 5:09pm

QueensFinest72
Pro MemberNew York State of Mind

I never stole a bike, but I  did buy a whole lot of stolen bikes back in the days. Heck all I could afford was stolen bikes big_smile

#108 2019-08-19 5:53pm

pknzer
Pro Member
Bikes: 9
For Sale: 3

Was about 14 I bought a bike off a mate, did it up with parts I had . Twin top tube supersport, new paint job , Gold arayas,  hutch spider and chrome bars.  looked a million  dollars. Rode it to my milk delivery job around the corner to a guys place that was employed with us as well , got back and it had gone mad. I knew it was a mate of theirs who stole it. Got in to a fight over it a few years later , kicked his arse . Bought the RL20 after that and still have it . Got a frame to build it up again , time and money :lolhttps://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/41816/20180822_1321525d5b448221.jpg

Kia kaha - Stay Strong

#109 2020-08-12 8:47am

Tjclt250r
Pro Member

I had a 85 chrome skyway stolen off my buddies lawn...there was a rumor that the "monkey man" stole only chrome bikes...i always laughed it off....the monkey man was a kid a few years older that lived in the woods and he was a distant cousin to my buddy Jeff r.i.p...Jeff was one of the best natural freestylers ive ever seen...never entered and competition but im telling you he could have been a contender...anyway jeffs family wasent that well off but he always had sweet bikes somehow...couple years later i was riding my quadracer on the tracks and i saw monkey man jump out of a tight bunch of bushes on my way back i stopped to investigate...there had to have been 25 chrome bikes in there all hi end gt hutch haro it was insane...i told a buddy who was working to become a cop..they went and picked up all the bikes... but everone that had ever had one stolen had already got another one or had moved on to somthing with an engine so that pile of sweet cro mo sat behind the pd for years rusting up maybe 5 got claimed out of it...sad...jeff got knifed in a drug deal and noone has seen monkey man anywhere...life is crazy

#110 2020-08-12 8:58am

benroe74
Pro Member
Bikes: 3

My 85 super streak got taken as i popped into the 7-11. Dumb me. Pretty sure the neighborhood hoodlums were to blame but i was dumb for just putting it against the wall. My replacement bike was a redline that got stolen from my backyard right before i turned 16. Said f it at that point since i was going to be driving. Would love to have both back.

220,221...whatever it takes

#111 2020-08-12 4:06pm

Shazambmx
Pro Member$$$
Bikes: 7
For Sale: 10

I was in front of my house and seen 2 kids walking their bikes. One had a flat. I offered to fix the flat for them and told them bring the bike in the back to the garage. All done, they leave riding away on their bikes. Get home from school next day to find the same kids I helped came back and broke into my garage to take my bike. It was a Kent. They rode around the corner and my friends brother seen them on the bike and ran into the street, punched one in the face right off the bike and beat the sh!t out of him. The other one got hit by a car trying to get away scared for his life. Got my bike and one of theirs.

Next bike was a haro freestyler given to me by and older kid in my neighborhood. I never raced as a kid but grew up across the street from the biggest piece of woods in Queens. Lots of trails we made jumps on. I would be getting chased by at least a dozen kids at a time through those trails doing jumps and riding to keep my bike. They never got me. I made a game out of it.  One day I left it on my garage for 2 minutes away from the street came back out it was gone. Never got another BMX until I came here looking to replace it 24 years or so later.

In between I did damage to anyone I caught stealing bikes from kids where I live. I got a few of them back.

Last edited by Shazambmx (2020-08-12 4:09pm)

Mikey.... Good Gorilla.

#112 2020-08-12 4:20pm

mnpikey
Pro Member

Brand new Hutch Trickstar in pink. Literally picked it up with my parents Saturday morning. Later that day went to a popular local/neighborhood beach here in MN (Twin Lakes in Brooklyn Center). Used to be very popular. Anyways, several of our bikes were laying around where we were sitting and some friends were sitting near them at the time. I was in the water with friends doing teenage things. Handstands, holding breath, frisbee, etc...suddenly someone runs up, grabs the Trickstar, takes off like a Olympic BMX race athlete, and the bike was gone forever. Last childhood BMX my parents bought me actually.

Last edited by mnpikey (2020-08-12 4:21pm)

#113 2020-08-12 4:24pm

Atrains89
Pro Member
Bikes: 5
For Sale: 9

My ‘88 PFT was taken out of my garage. Door was open but the neighborhood was nice and quiet too. The ‘92 PFT TM was locked up at a convenience store and they cut the chain. I got that one back when the police actually located it and returned it to me. Sold it soon after.

I don’t care what you say....Day Glo pink is for men!

#114 2020-08-12 4:27pm

FU
Pro Member
Bikes: 1

Same way they did in the last 5 fookin years....scumbag. bolt cutters. The end.

3 in 5 years. Anger. Serenity now.https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/8158/screenshot_20200722-231629_samsung-internet5f347b1778.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/8158/20200606_0908215f347b2dec.jpg

Last edited by FU (2020-08-12 4:28pm)

I had no choice they arrived just before you did....

#115 2020-08-12 4:27pm

spyker
Pro MemberThE hOt StEpPa!

Garage got broken into when I was at school,came home to the door kicked in and bike stolen.I did find out who did it.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!
never unarmed!
#VOGR
no fijindus picklers!

#116 2020-09-02 12:13pm

Rolexmd69bmxaloT
Pro Member
Bikes: 26

1987...   it was summer break in South Texas, Edinburg Texas specifically.   We lived in a neighborhood that bordered the local municipal golf course and we would cut thru the course daily to ride to Pizza hut to play arcade games and just get out of the house.  My older brother and I had just got new matching Diamond Back Hot Streak Mike Dominguez bikes for Christmas.   All my friends as well as my brother made fun of me because mine was Pink.  You know how kids are.  He thought I would be upset because I got the pink one and he was allowed to first pick and got the blue one.  Turned out my Pink one was the Pro model with higher end components and no reflectors or kick stand.  His blue one was the crappy kid version and just sucked for the most part.  I am not sure if that was our local bike shop norm but over the years the would assemble bikes our parents bought for us with different parts at Christmas time and sell them for the same price as a lesser optioned bike just to make the sale.  Anyway, we rode to Pizza hut and I had that feeling but left my bike outside without a lock for literally about 5 minutes max.  I walked outside and it was gone.  The weird part is Pizza hut was next door to my local Police station and from any booth in the Pizza place you could look over and see the Chain linked fenced off area where all the stolen bikes were held.  I walked home and basically waited for my dad to get home to tell him what happened only to be blasted about my ignorance etc etc etc.  I was pissed.  It was the first and last bike I had stolen.  I spent the next couple of years continually going around that Police bike impound looking for my pink Diamond back but never found it.  My guess was that it got spray painted and ridden for years by some low life a hole that just so happened to walk by that day and rode that biatch all the way home to whatever hood they lived in.

Life is short.  Spend it!  Looking for: I will PAY top dollar for a Fishbone 1-1/8 X-UFO  detangler.  Also need Hevron Haro stem.  Have mid school goodness to trade also.

#117 2020-09-02 12:20pm

ApolloMkII
Pro MemberWhen I get around to it...
Bikes: 4

I think it was 1983.
My Family and I (of course) went on a trip for the weekend to my Nan's house and when I returned my Madison MXDR was no longer in the garage when we got home.

#118 2020-09-02 1:36pm

Dollazhollaz
Post Restriction
Bikes: 39

When I was about 10, I had a bike stolen. It was the one and only time. I had some cheap ass department store freestyle bike, but had customized it with frame standers, new dominator seat, etc.

I was getting a hair cut, and my boy was waiting to go next. All of a sudden a group of kids ran by and grabbed my bike(he was riding on my standers so he didnt have his bike). My buddy proceeded to charge outside, CATCH the kid on my bike and beat the ever loving SHIT out of him as HIS boys all ran off, lol (friggan pussies). My friend then made the kid come apologize to me, all this while I continued to sit and get my hair cut. Now that I tell it, its a GREAT memory and pretty rad story. I still wish i knew what kind of bike it was. It was LESS than no name, as we were POOR AF

If it don't make dollaz, it don't make sense

**Ride or Die*

#119 2020-09-02 1:54pm

MAIDEN GT fan
Pro MemberBMX To The Hills

spyker wrote:

Garage got broken into when I was at school,came home to the door kicked in and bike stolen.I did find out who did it.

AND??? tongue

#120 2020-09-02 3:32pm

heyslugger
Pro MemberThe Loose Rooster
Bikes: 105
For Sale: 13

hurlz wrote:

I had a couple stolen out of the basement of our house, then 1 out of the yard, but the worst was this.  I let a girl I didn't know ride it and she took off! I was about 11 years old.  I lied to my parents and said it got stolen at the convenient store.  Does this count as confession?  lol

Still happens to me today just on a different level!
https://youtu.be/_kpE_W722pc?t=14

#121 2020-09-18 12:47pm

mtnjak
Pro Member
Website

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/225535/1984-raleigh-in-champaign5f650d171f.jpg
This is my 1984 Raleigh R2500, photo taken in 1987.  I would ride this for another year or so and then it was stolen out of my apartment stairwell.  Also stolen was my friend's totally decked out Kuwahara Laser Lite race bike, which he had about $700-800 dollars put into back in the day (photo borrowed from the museum).  That was a big loss.  For him and for me as this bike was my favorite ride of all time.  Perfect size and geometry for my 5'-7" frame at the time.  sadhttps://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/225535/1983-kuwahara-laser-lite5f650eb7a5.jpg

"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better.  When it does not exist, design it"

- Sir Henry Royce

#122 2020-09-18 2:29pm

MaximRecoil
Centurion Member

My 1984 Western Flyer Invader 2 was stolen in '87 (when I was 12) because I left it outside on the lawn overnight. My parents didn't have any sympathy, because they'd told me over and over not to leave it outside overnight.

After several months of being bikeless, I was walking home from downtown and noticed a familiar looking bike leaned against the wall of the general store; whoever "owned" it was inside playing arcade games along with a group of other kids, all older than me. When I first got the bike, Dad had engraved my social security number onto the underside of the bottom bracket shell, so I knelt down to take a look, and sure enough, it was my bike. I thought about just taking it, but then I thought about the group of older kids in the store, so I ran home as fast as I could to get Dad, and he went down to the store with me (luckily it was still there). Dad looked at the bottom bracket shell to confirm that it was my bike, and then he said to just take it, which I did.

#123 2020-09-18 3:49pm

Surf Zombie
Pro Member

When I was about 12 and my brother was 10 we drove down to NJ for an indoor race at the jersey armory. Place was a dump. He rode for Jox Jag at the time. He was walking back from the bathroom and some guy was walking out of the building with his bike. He ran over and grabbed the bike by the bars and wouldn’t let go. The guy said he “was just moving it” and took off out the door. Lots of bikes got ripped off at that place.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/277401/111cd463-daee-4f6a-96b4-41033e89aa3c5f65398aab.jpeg

Last edited by Surf Zombie (2020-09-18 3:52pm)

#124 2020-09-18 4:05pm

Surf Zombie
Pro Member

My buddy who I grew up racing with had a sweet Profile Champ Pro that was completely decked out. He cherished the thing and saved up for ever to buy it. He had it under lock and key in his parents’ basement. One night his younger brother took it out without his permission (he wouldn’t even let the brother near it). The younger brother rode the bike down to the convenience store and left it laying on the ground outside. Some lady pulling into the store didn’t see it and ran it over with her truck. Bike was completely destroyed and my buddy threw it in a dumpster in a fit of rage. He’s still not over it 30 years later.

Board footer