You are not logged in.

HOW DID YOUR BIKES GET STOLEN BACK IN THE 80'S

#51 2016-11-02 11:57am

TuRBo Todd
Pro Member
Bikes: 12

Re: HOW DID YOUR BIKES GET STOLEN BACK IN THE 80'S

It wasn't mine, at the time, but short of this long story is, it was stolen out of the back of the then-owners car while he was at work. A year later he's at a party and saw some bikes covered by a tarp, and there was his Secret Cycles and his Quad-Angle. He got them both back and a year later the Quad was stolen again and never found. Here's the full story in all it's glory: http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 20&p=3

Founder/Owner, Azusa & Secret Cycles.

#52 2016-12-10 12:01am

Fatty chris
Museum Newbie

I was that neighborhood kid that was a bike part trading fool from about 10 till 16 when I could drive. By the time I was 15 it was a very lucrative business.  I had several awesome bikes and a couple friends/brothers from out of town were hanging out with me and the other neighborhood kids when we decided to go to the pizza parlor for food and video games.  I was riding my quadangle and let the brothers borrow my pk and haro master. All 3 had top shelf parts. We locked all 3 of mine with 2 other friends bikes together, not thinking someone would run off with 5 bikes locked together. We came out after we were done to find them gone. Of course I was freaking out because I lost 3 at once.  Called the cops, they took the report and I walked home. An hour later they called and said they found them stashed in the field behind the pizza place. I was stoked. A few months later I traded off all the bikes and parts for my first car.

#53 2016-12-10 12:22am

REDLINE-FANatic
Pro Member"Tromboner"
Bikes: 4

Happened twice. First time it happened, my parents had just got divorced and Mom dragged me off to live in Missouri with her. I had just got a GT Mach 1 and decided I would trade the F&F to an older guy that I looked up to in the neighborhood that had an 83 GT Pro frame I wanted. He switched them out for me and then, knowing I left my bike chained up downstairs, sent someone to strip the parts off of it during the night. Absolutely crushed me that morning I discovered it.

Second time was in Richardson Texas. I had dropped off my White Profile Prostyler off at the bike shop for them to disassemble it and have the F&F Chromed. 2 weeks later it was back at the shop, reassembled and waiting for decals from Profile. I came in with my Dad to check it out. Oh man did that thing look awesome! Had shocking pink Peregrines Mags and Bullseye Cranks. The bike was sick and expensive for that time.
Long story short, a thief broke into the donut shop next door that didn't have an alarm, cut a hole in the drywall, crawled through and stole several high end bikes including mine. The shop gave me the pick of any bike in the shop as compensation and I choose an 86 Chrome Haro Master. Every time I see a Chrome Profile Prostyler on the Museum I wonder if it was mine from BITD considering there only around a couple hundred or so produced and not many Chrome ones that I know of.

Last edited by REDLINE-FANatic (2016-12-10 12:25am)

"New Information has come to light man!"

#54 2016-12-10 1:57am

AlurencatBMX
Pro Member
Bikes: 11

Never had any bikes stolen from me when I was a kid. Was too street wise and rode in packs.

My brother had his bike stolen by gypsies over the local park though. Brand new red and yellow burner.

My BMX was so crap that no one wanted to steal it. Seriously it really was that bad big_smile I could leave it anywhere, it was marvelous big_smile

Last edited by AlurencatBMX (2017-04-23 12:58pm)

If you haven't seen the magical stars floating around whilst lying face down in the mud you ain't lived.

"If you asked me what era of BMX I preferred I would look at you blankly and say all of them. If you never stopped riding you wouldn't look back with fond memories you'd create them instead. I come from 'any school'"

#55 2016-12-10 4:40am

IlluminELFie

by gun point at the local mini mart

#56 2016-12-10 10:42am

BrokeSpoke
Intermediate

Had my 84 Haro Sport stolen out of my garage the summer of 85.  Was my first non department store bike that I bought with money I saved from pulling tobacco on my grandfathers farm..... man loved that bike. I never found the F&F but I did find some of the parts off of it.  Threatened to kick dudes face in but he ended up giving me enough $$$ to cover some of the parts ( black Redline forklifter stem, chrome redline forklifter bars and green Skyway mags ) . Ended up getting a all white 85 GT Pro Performer as a replacement.

Last edited by BrokeSpoke (2016-12-10 7:37pm)

WTB parts for 87 GT PFT show build : Need to be NOS or mint : I need a silver Power Disc, white 87 GT seat & some 87 stamped 175mm Power Series cranks .

#57 2016-12-10 4:46pm

sc00ter
Intermediate

Of all 3 Trick Stars and 2 Skyway T/A's I have owned I have never had a bike stolen. I had a blue Krytonite U-lock that went with me EVERYWHERE! Now, a bit later in life, I got a Hutch Windstyler stolen. Thankfully it was not a high end build but still. I loaned it to a "friend" and he left it out. I no longer loan anything out, and if someone asked why I tell them to ask Steve Blue that used to live in Pine Oaks apartments. I have a few friends that-till this day!-want to throttle him because of my "No Loan" policy. Ruined it for everyone! Now, heres a terrible stolen bike story. A friend had a Skyway T/A forever and would still have it today if not for this nonsense! His 8 year old little brother took it out for a ride and someone jumped out of a car and knocked him off and took the bike! We had a idea then, and still wonder today, if it was who we think it was that robbed a 8 year old of his older brothers Skyway. Our neighbor hood was pretty tight with other 'hoods but nothing from that T/A ever surfaced again, and it was all high end build.

#58 2017-02-16 2:39pm

AlurencatBMX
Pro Member

So yeah, today something really freaky happened.

I picked up my bike from powder, packed it into the car and headed over to my mother's like I do once a week. Man's gotta eat properly at least one day big_smile

Any way we were talking about bikes and the old days etc. Now I figured my brother's bike had been stolen from the local park. Seems I didn't have that quite right.

So yeah, mum tells me that basically my brother asked her if he was allowed to ride to the bike shop a few miles away with his friend and our cousin. So she said yeah that's cool, just be safe etc. Any way, a couple of hours later she got a phone call. Basically they had all parked their bikes outside the shop and went in to look at parts, bikes etc (this was like 1981). So they come outside and all three bikes are gone. I will admit I am a pretty superstitious guy.. Any way, it turns out that my brother's bike (and my cousin's and their friend) were stolen in EXACTLY the same spot my quad was stolen from.

Yup, when I was in my 20s I worked at that shop (had I known that then I wouldn't have gone near the place !) and it seems fate lined up for me too.

I still blame it on the owner. Right shady POS. Wouldn't surprise me if he had some one waiting around the corner back then with a box van and would call them telling them there were bikes outside etc.

But yeah, I thought that was proper freaky. I will be handcuffing my new quad to my forking leg or something. Or get one of those surfboard strap things lol.

If you haven't seen the magical stars floating around whilst lying face down in the mud you ain't lived.

"If you asked me what era of BMX I preferred I would look at you blankly and say all of them. If you never stopped riding you wouldn't look back with fond memories you'd create them instead. I come from 'any school'"

#59 2017-02-16 2:56pm

Dudikoff

AlurencatBMX wrote:

I will be handcuffing my new quad to my forking leg or something. Or get one of those surfboard strap things lol.

A leash for your bike. Considering how many of us have had bikes ripped off, the idea isn't that far fetched!

Needed: Yellow California Lite frame pad

"You could have showed some respect and at least wait till I was done dancin"

#60 2017-02-16 2:58pm

AlurencatBMX
Pro Member

Dudikoff wrote:

AlurencatBMX wrote:

I will be handcuffing my new quad to my forking leg or something. Or get one of those surfboard strap things lol.

A leash for your bike. Considering how many of us have had bikes ripped off, the idea isn't that far fetched!

Well I guess it is a little bit more legal than a remote fired shotgun shell in the seat post. Yes, I actually designed that.... Blow the bastards forking bollocks off !

#61 2017-02-16 3:16pm

sting bmx
Banned

flipped my sx2000 on its bar and seat to run into the pet store to get goldfish for my piranhas and came out and it was gone..it happened at a major strip mall..i own a 1980 sx2000 and a 91 sx2000 now

Last edited by sting bmx (2017-02-16 7:50pm)

#62 2017-02-16 6:34pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 83
For Sale: 1

AlurencatBMX wrote:

Dudikoff wrote:

AlurencatBMX wrote:

Well I guess it is a little bit more legal than a remote fired shotgun shell in the seat post. Yes, I actually designed that.... Blow the bastards forking bollocks off !

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#63 2017-02-16 7:07pm

saskbmx
BMXer 4 Life

these guys tried getting in my face while i was waiting outside a corner store. one of these guys was really well known for ripping stuff off. they were 15ish and  me and my 2 buddies who were in the store are like 11 at the time. all of a sudden as these 3 older kids surround me this dude in a purple iroc camero sreeches up. jumps out and tells these kids to back off or they will get it. turns out the purple camero dude lives behind the kid known for jacking shit...he must have seen him from the street and knew what was up. thank god for camero guy.

#64 2017-04-15 12:28pm

TommyShameless
Expert
Website

This is one seriously heartbreaking thread...

In my town, lik everywhere else, bike theft was out of control. The flashier the bike, the quicker it would disappear, only to resurface spray bombed flat black. I never understood that part. The thieves would be attracted to the wildest, most expensive dayglo rides, and then spray bomb everything in black. Frame, seat, grips, tires...it just didn't make any sense.

I have three stolen bike stories:
• Mid 80s, I get a brand new black and gold Huffy. Not really that special in hindsight, but back then, being like 8 years old, and considering we were not very well off financially, it was the best thing in the world. Had it a week, and only ever rode it around in our fenced-in yard. One day, a bunch of kids we didn't recognize rode by staring at me on it. The next day my dad went out to the garage to find it broken into and my Huffy stolen.
• Early 90s, and I run in my house to hang out with some friends for a few minutes. We all left our bikes on the front lawn. We come out later and my 86 Pro Performer is gone. Because of course it was. I was beyond upset. Flash forward about a month or so, and I'm walking down the street to my friend's house. Lo and behold, my GT is on the front lawn of the neighborhood juvenile delinquent. I couldn't believe it. I walked right over and took it right back, not wanting to actually confront the thief.
• May, 1996. Having just moved to Florida and lost every single one of my freestyle bikes due to the circumstances of us leaving New York, all I had with me was a cheapo MTB. First week in Florida, it was stolen from the backyard.

Freak out in a Moonage Daydream!

#65 2017-04-15 12:55pm

AlurencatBMX
Pro Member

My bike was so crap nobody wanted to steal it. I'm deadly serious too. We got mugged by gypsies one day and a couple of my mate's bikes were taken but when they got to mine they said "nah, it's chit".

That thing was like a boat anchor lol. I even used to leave it at the park, forget about it and then go back the next day and it would still be there.

#66 2017-04-15 1:51pm

Jayrev67
Expert
Bikes: 116
Website

1981 Scorpion SX Stolen but Recovered
I grew up in rural upstate New York and used my bike whenever I wanted to exodus the mountain I lived on- two miles to the store to get an RC Cola and a Mounds bar. I once left my 81 red Scorpion SX in an abandoned foundation to go tubing in creek that ran through the haven near our place. The local scumbag who lived nearby stole it. It wasn't brain surgery to know he would be the dude to steal it. A few days later, he rode it to the local recreation park which consisted of a oversized watering hole damed up so locals could swim in it. We called it the Rec. If you were between the ages of 8 and 18 in the summer, you hung out at the Rec whenever possible. My older brother saw the before mentioned local scum bag bragging about his new bike, walked up to him and punched him in the side of his face so hard he fell off the bike. My brother rode it home.
"I got your bike back. It was Brian. I beat his a-- for you."
That's how we rednecks roll.

1982 Kuwahara Lazerlite Stolen but recovered
In 1984, I stopped racing. The whole race scene got lame. At gate practice, I did a 360 over the main table top jump and a track dad kicked me off the track. I rode 12 miles to that track to practice gates but since I lived for BMX Action mag, all I wanted to do was what I saw Bob Haro, RL Osbourn and Mike Buff do. So, I practiced front endo's while waiting for races and did rock walks after I passed the finish line. I thought the scene would appreciate that I had learned to 360 over the table top. Lame. I started riding pools. And, the Kuwahara Lazerlite that I had bought in 82 was becoming a bike I had little interest in so I parked it in my grand parents barn. There redneck neighbor's delinquent son broke into the barn and stole it. He was so stupid that he parked it on the back porch of his parents trailer. I had bought a 1984 Pro Performer so I wasn't really hyper about him stealing it. But, we country folk have a code of ethics so it was not something that could be tolerated. I cornered that dude at a bon fire on a Friday night when he was wasted and told the 20 people there that he stole my Kuwahara. I remember my friend Artie Green yelling, "E.T. phone home" and everyone laughing." The dude was pretty scared and I pummeled him pretty hard and told him that the bike wouldn't be on his back porch when he got home. He might have pee'd himself; I am not sure cause it was dark but he was a skinny kid and I am 6' 5" and come from a family of crazy country people who did not tolerate thieving on our property. I drove to my grand parents farm, hopped the fence of this dudes yard, went up on his back porch, and took my bike. It ended up getting parted out to kids in the neighborhood who couldn't afford to by good bmx parts but who tore it up on the jumps.

1986 GT Pro Freestyle Tour Stolen
After I graduated from High School in 1985, I took what my wife calls, "A gap year." I say that because she grew up in an upper class family that sometimes encouraged the offspring born to her class to do fancy things like travel Europe or do internships before going off to college. Where I came from, we called it getting a job after high school. So, after I graduated High School, I started working in construction doing roofing and siding. It has back breaking work but it paid well. I bought a 1986 GT Pro Freestyle Tour; chrome with purple components. I would do tricks on my lunch breaks and the old dudes with no teeth who smoked camel non-filter cigs would call me a fruit because it had purple parts. So funny. Anyway, after a year of that, my best friend from High School, who came from a middle class family, convinced me to try college. I did and it was pretty awesome. I felt like Harry Potter at Hogwarts and the street riding scene where I went to school in Westchester County New York was rad. Our school colors were purple and white so my bike fit right it. I ended up doing a full freestyle show for our annual basketball tournament's half time show in 1987 to Van Halen's 1984. It was so rad. Sophomore year, I left my GT in coat closet of my dorm for a week, unlocked. A week later, it was gone. Totally my fault. The thing is that the college campus was this idyllic place where everybody was super relaxed. Word came to me that some local skaters stole it and parted it out. A few weeks later I bought a 1987 Haro FST. It was a great bike for riding street. I beat that bike to hell.

Stay Strong-Ride BMX   |   bikewhistle.com  | whistlebikes on ebay

#67 2017-04-15 3:53pm

CHAMPION-26
Pro Member

Yes this subject is difficult for some of us... But Therapeutic as well...
Most of us have never really talked about this for over 30 yrs.

Needs - Tioga Comp Pool Tires
Tioga Comp Ramp Tires
Early Redline PL - 24 Forks
88 Skyway T/A 280 Forks
GT Coaster Brake Hub
24" Irc Racer - X Tire -  In Black
Nos Clear GT Grips

#68 2017-04-23 12:02pm

rmeneses
Museum Addict
Bikes: 10

Two cholos knocked me off of my then two month old Silver Streak... I filed a police report complete with the Serial number with the L.A. County Sheriff's Dept.  They found it a few weeks later, some of the original parts were gone, it had been ridden hard, and the kid who bought it got nabbed for buying stolen property.

"Stupidity should be painful"

#69 2017-04-23 7:56pm

HogsBreath

I can feel the RAGE building inside me reading all of theses posts. mad I've had 3 stolen but this one by far was the best.

Here's my story...
Year: 1984
Day: Saturday May 19th
Weather: A bit cloudy but overall pretty nice. Perfect for a ride
The Bike: 1984 GT Pro. It was my race bike

Woke up and wanted to visit my best friend that lived about 25 miles away. Mom wouldn't take me so..... I jumped on my bike and took off. Oh yeah, I rode all the way there. We hung out jumping some dirt jumps, just having fun hanging out. The Sun started to set and he asked his Mom if I could stay the night and she said "NO!". She was pissed that he didn't ask her before I rode all the way there. "What a B****!"

So instead of calling my Mom and asking her to come and get me, like I should have done. I decided to ride around the city all night and come back to his house when the sun came up. About 2 hours into it, I got hungry and went to a 711 to get a bite to eat. Flipped the bike upside down, went to the back of the store to heat up some chili in the microwave and BOOM!!! It was gone!

So.... I crawled into a paper recycling box right next to the store and slept awhile until the sun came up. Then I walked about 4 miles back to his house and threw pebbles at his 2nd story window until he woke up. He looks out the window and says "Dude, Where's you bike?". I reply, as loud as I could, "SOME F***HEAD F***ING STOLE IT!!! I F***ING HATE YOUR MOM!" big_smile

So he lets me in, I call my Mom to come and get me, and we file a police report. Since I was smart enough to engrave the last 4 of my SS# on various parts I was feeling pretty good about getting it back. A couple months pass and I get a call from the Police station. "Yeah, We have found some of your bike parts. Come in and pick them up". SAWEET! I'm all excited thinking about what parts, how many, it's so awesome to finally get my bike back.

I go in, patiently waiting all excited. And here he comes.......holding a tiny little plastic bag. He hands it to me and says "There you go. Sign right here". I'm like "You have got to be kidding me?" He says "That's all we have".  LMAO Unbelievable, That was it, a little plastic bag with the bottom part of my headset in it. IT WASN'T EVEN THE ENTIRE HEADSET! I was devastated! And obviously it still affects me today. HAHAHAHA

So I kept that little piece of my $900 bike and someday if I ever find out who stole my bike I'm going to take that bottom piece of my headset and forcefully stuff it up his A**  cool

At least I did take some picks before it was stolen.
1984 GT Pro Frame & Fork
Profile Cranks
Shimano pedals
Mongoose Pro Class rims
GT sealed bearing hubs
CW Bars
Tuff Neck stem
GT seat post
Tuff Neck seat post clamp
Kashimax seat

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k87/HogsBreath3333/001_zps2ewr26ql.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k87/HogsBreath3333/002_zps7diba453.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k87/HogsBreath3333/013_zps2dwwfke9.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k87/HogsBreath3333/014_zpsqwaj5uyu.jpg

#70 2017-04-23 8:19pm

Iconclass
Centurion Member
Bikes: 3

HogsBreath, that is exactly how I remember every ones bikes were looking back in the day! looking at that is a time warp! Everyone rode franken bikes! It was all about how you upgraded to the next best part. Our bikes would be stalked by the red headed amish kids who knew the value and would ogle them while we were in the local pool. We would always have a sentry or not leave it about. Sometimes though stuff happens out of your control. My Redline MXII was stolen three times but came back to me. It is like Christine I am telling you. It was gone for over a year and came back! Some of the brake parts were missing and jacked up; chrome mx 900 rear; and it got rusty but it found its way back to me.

#71 2017-04-23 11:22pm

GAry
Owner/CuratorYes, I started this site!
Bikes: 440
For Sale: 50
Website

So Sad..
My Kuwahara Laserlite, ultralite?
ALL Chrome phil woods, flite cranks, mx1000 front and back. etc..
the bike I built to take with me around the world, while I was in the Navy..
Rode to beach, in Long beach  and locked to a Life guard tower, with life guard in it.. broad daylight..
Came back 2 hours later, and it was gone.. uugghh..
Asked around, no one saw anything..t first I thought I was at the wrong tower...

Luckily, my friend sent me a complete GHP not to log after!

[img]https://static.wixstatic.com/media/b927f0_b6a3c62979e1437480c816c4846c106d.jpg/v1/fill/w_926,h_30,al_c,lg_1,q_80/b927f0_b6a3c62979e1437480c816c4846c106d.jpg[/img]
Forum and Site Rules   Guide For New Members  Become a Pro Member  For Sale Section Rules  How to post picts
Yes, I started this website myself, way back in 1999, thanks for sharing my passion about BMX!!

#72 2017-04-23 11:51pm

HogsBreath

MMMMMM GHP. One of my all time favorite bikes. I had a candy apple red one and a chrome one. GHP also had one of the all time best seat posts EVER! The 90 degree laid back, picture perfect. I currently have a Robinson 90 degree post on my 89 GT Mach One and still ride it 2-3 times a week.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k87/HogsBreath3333/Img_1365_zpscwykhfhj.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k87/HogsBreath3333/Img_1367_zpsvaukmx9e.jpg

My other 2 bikes that were stolen were a Schwinn Scrambler (1980 maybe) and a junker Raleigh something (probably around 1980 also) my parents bought me from Toys R Us. LOL Sorry if anyone reads this and likes Raleigh's. No offense, I just hated that thing. Both were stolen out of our garage because my parents were idiots and never locked anything. Front door, back door, garage door, all open for everyone.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k87/HogsBreath3333/015_zpsri0clnef.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k87/HogsBreath3333/016_zpsm65tuk88.jpg

#73 2017-04-24 4:29am

STREETBEATBEAST
Pro MemberSKYWAY SENSAI
Bikes: 1

I have a reaccuring dream in which Me and an ex riding buddy are riding and I've lent one of my bikes to him.
In the latest incarnation of the dream, we stop to fiddle with something my buddies carrying. Some kid comes by telling us how cool he thinks the bikes are and asks my buddy to try "my" bike.
In all the confusion of trying to help my buddy with what hes carrying, I kinda dont awknowlege/hear what the kid has asked, and what my buddy says to him.
The kid rides off. Sometime later, as my buddy and I are walking..I notice a bike is missing.
"Ah, did that kid steal my bike?" I ask my buddy.."Holy shit, I think he did" my buddy says.
Now, just for the record, I've never done drugs and I very rarely drink..in the dream I feel overwhelmed trying to help my buddy adjust his cargo, which is why I dont notice my bike is taken..

Anybody else have bike dreams like this?

Heres my profound, life changing statement.
Lifes a bitch..PASS ME A BEER.

They're reacting and that's wonderful. It's better than them sitting there doing nothing. I say make them react - do whatever's in your power to move the audience, and if that's where it is, and there where it is with America, sex and violence, then I say project it.
ALICE COOPER

#74 2017-04-24 5:12am

80sFreestyleFan
Pro Member
Bikes: 6
Website

Taken out of garage one day.

That chit will buff out

#75 2017-04-25 2:59pm

HogsBreath

STREETBEATBEAST wrote:

I have a reaccuring dream in which Me and an ex riding buddy are riding and I've lent one of my bikes to him.
In the latest incarnation of the dream, we stop to fiddle with something my buddies carrying. Some kid comes by telling us how cool he thinks the bikes are and asks my buddy to try "my" bike.
In all the confusion of trying to help my buddy with what hes carrying, I kinda dont awknowlege/hear what the kid has asked, and what my buddy says to him.
The kid rides off. Sometime later, as my buddy and I are walking..I notice a bike is missing.
"Ah, did that kid steal my bike?" I ask my buddy.."Holy shit, I think he did" my buddy says.
Now, just for the record, I've never done drugs and I very rarely drink..in the dream I feel overwhelmed trying to help my buddy adjust his cargo, which is why I dont notice my bike is taken..

Anybody else have bike dreams like this?

LMAO uummm no, never a dream like that.

My Bike dreams usually consist of me racing or dirt jumping with one of my top idols, either Greg Hill or Darrell Young, cheering me on and then coming over and telling me how much better I am then they are. big_smile

Board footer