You are not logged in.

HOW DID YOUR BIKES GET STOLEN BACK IN THE 80'S  RSS Feed

#1 2016-10-13 10:03pm

CHAMPION-26
Pro Member

HOW DID YOUR BIKES GET STOLEN BACK IN THE 80'S

As most of us who were around in the 1980's remember how bad bike theft was back then.

Let's share our story's of how it happened.
Here are my three bikes...

1. Yellow DG Racer with all blue anno... I still haven't gotten over this one to this day because i worked a good portion of my summer to buy it with my own money.
We lived in an apartment in Santa Monica on the second floor and  somehow someone climbed up onto my bedroom balcony at night..and stole it...I went to get it to go to school and it was gone forever.
I was in the 6th grade.

2. GT Pro Freestyle Tour...
Stolen from the bike lock up at Van Nuys High, aka ( Fast Times At Ridgemont High).

3. Kuwahara Magician...
I had it flipped upside down outside 7-Eleven while I played a video game. I watched that punk ass flip it over, jump on it and ride off... I ran out and gave chase on foot but couldn't catch him.

What's your story?

Needs - Tioga Comp Pool Tires
Tioga Comp Ramp Tires
Early Redline PL - 24 Forks
88 Skyway T/A 280 Forks
GT Coaster Brake Hub
24" Irc Racer - X Tire -  In Black
Nos Clear GT Grips

#2 2016-10-13 10:17pm

Crisp87
Pro Member
Bikes: 13

Re: HOW DID YOUR BIKES GET STOLEN BACK IN THE 80'S

I had a Redline PL-20 stolen from outside a mates house. Couple weeks later another mate saw the scum bag ridding it  so ran to the cop shop and they got the bastard lol. Got the bike back

Wtb national pro straight seat post
WTB: pro neck inverted stem
I have a US shipping address

#3 2016-10-13 10:23pm

CHAMPION-26
Pro Member

Crisp87 wrote:

I had a Redline PL-20 stolen from outside a mates house. Couple weeks later another mate saw the scum bag ridding it  so ran to the cop shop and they got the bastard lol. Got the bike back

Nice!!! It doesn't get much better than that. big_smile

Tioga Comp Ramp Tires
88 Skyway T/A 280 Forks
GT Coaster Brake Hub
Nos Clear GT Grips

#4 2016-10-13 10:27pm

skdevore
Pro MemberIt's Not For Sale, Francis!
Bikes: 37

Similar story here.
1) Locked up my Powerlite to play video games at the bowling alley. Came out to find the chain cut in half, no bike.
2) Saved B-Day and XMAS money for 18 months. Bought a National Pro raced for a season by the local bike shop owner's kid, hardly used. All my friends would ride to my house in the morning, leave their bikes in my garage,then walk half a block to school. Came home from school to find out my bike was gone. The thieves left all the GT's, DB's, and Redlines alone.
3) Got tired of losing expensive bikes, bought a Schwinn cruiser, got stolen from my buddy's driveway while we were eating lunch in the house.

Bought nothing but skateboards after that.

There's no help for this Museum Junkie!

#5 2016-10-13 10:28pm

perront
Pro MemberThe Red Dog of The Hills
Bikes: 20

I rode my Pro Thunder to school, and left it in the rack without locking it up.  Stolen by a kid I knew (unbeknownst at the time), told my mom, Mom told cops.  Couple of days later, cops set up stake out that I was a part of, caught dude hopping on my bike after school, bike was returned to me, didn't press charges.

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonRobinson
PowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksman!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#6 2016-10-13 10:28pm

Crisp87
Pro Member

CHAMPION-26 wrote:

Crisp87 wrote:

Nice!!! It doesn't get much better than that. big_smile

And I still have the stem pad, KKT pedals and the flight chainring from that bike

Wtb national pro straight seat post
WTB: pro neck inverted stem
I have a US shipping address

#7 2016-10-14 3:18am

detroitjohnny
Pro Member

My brother, some friends, and I were at the Local K-Mart at 18 Mile and Dequindre playing video games in their arcade.  We left our bikes outside, unlocked of course.  hmm  When we came out, both of our bikes were gone.  We searched the field behind the store and found his black Mongoose, but my ball burnished Race Inc. was gone.

No one we knew ever saw it again, but that wasn't a surprise.  Dequindre is the county line, and school district line.  If someone from Oakland county/Troy schools took it, it might as well have been on the moon.

Oh, well.  I learned a life lesson that day.  I'd saved up money for a year to buy that frame set and move over the parts from my Goose to the Race.

WANTED: 1989 GT Pro Freestyle Tour.

I love pretzels and drain pipes.

#8 2016-10-14 6:46am

Peace12
Pro Member

Honestly I still hate thinking about it as it makes me almost physically sick.  Had a yellow 85 GT Performer (not Pro Performer, but meant a ton to me).  Always took great care of it and was meeting two of my buddies to ride to school to watch a basketball game.  One of them was supposed to bring a lock and when I met them he said he forgot but not to worry because they would put my bike between their two bikes right inside the doorway.  I didn't want to but really didn't want to go back home at that point and both of their bikes were more expensive than mine so I agreed.  Well needless to say my bike was the flashier looking one so that is the only one that got stolen.  Pretty sure I knew who did it and we almost got into a fight in a Burger King parking lot over it.  That guy is still around and I'd love to ask him about it sometime.  One of my friends said he saw the bike at the library one time spray bombed.  Just really sucked as it was the same time my mom and dad were going through a divorce.  Still tough to think about after all these years.

#9 2016-10-14 8:29am

RAYSIN
Pro MemberI SAW ELVIS AT 1000 FEET!
Bikes: 26
Website

i was at the local arcade, came out and my Chrome 78 Schwinn Mag Scrambler was gone. As everyone knows it was very uncool and impractical to carry a chain and lock on a bmx bike. A couple weeks later I was at another local arcade looking through the full bike rack hoping to find my bike, and a noticed a white bmx bike (Scrambler frame) with a dent in the rear seat stay (from a "kick out" gone bad) same as mine. There was some chrome peeking out from a bad spraybomb job, I immediately knew it was mine. I sat down on it and waited for the kid to come out. He immediatley knew what was up, and claimed he bought the frame from a neighborhood kid. I gave him several options and he quickly took the less violent choice. We walked to his house nearby and took it apart, and shortly thereafter left with my frame. Never got the rest of it back but, rebuilt it and rode it a while untill i traded it for a mini-bike.

Schwinning!!!

#10 2016-10-14 8:39am

STREETBEATBEAST
Pro MemberSKYWAY SENSAI
Bikes: 1

Thank God mine never did..however, one of mine did get stolen after the fact..
Ill explain more...
I was a dumb kid like we all still are lol and I wanted something. Probably an R/C truck or something. So I sold my 86 chrome/w blue and white decals HARO SPORT. Just built it up with mostly cool parts. I sold it to my  british buddy fresh off the boat. He rides it to the local bad area mall and didnt lock it up. Poof! SPORT IS M.I.A.

Heres my profound, life changing statement.
Lifes a bitch..PASS ME A BEER.

They're reacting and that's wonderful. It's better than them sitting there doing nothing. I say make them react - do whatever's in your power to move the audience, and if that's where it is, and there where it is with America, sex and violence, then I say project it.
ALICE COOPER

#11 2016-10-14 9:06am

hurlz
Pro Member
For Sale: 4

I had a couple stolen out of the basement of our house, then 1 out of the yard, but the worst was this.  I let a girl I didn't know ride it and she took off! I was about 11 years old.  I lied to my parents and said it got stolen at the convenient store.  Does this count as confession?  lol

#12 2016-10-14 9:19am

Devin74
Pro Member
Bikes: 6
For Sale: 13

I had one lifted from the back of my ol'man's pick-up, another from my back porch, another when I went into a store quick. There was a couple more too that I just don't remember the details. I eventually smartened up and lugged a lock around... They just cut them right off though. Crazy how people fiended for them BITD.

#13 2016-10-14 9:37am

CHAMPION-26
Pro Member

Devin74 wrote:

I had one lifted from the back of my ol'man's pick-up, another from my back porch, another when I went into a store quick. There was a couple more too that I just don't remember the details. I eventually smartened up and lugged a lock around... They just cut them right off though. Crazy how people fiended for them BITD.

And some of us still fiend for them today. big_smile

Tioga Comp Ramp Tires
88 Skyway T/A 280 Forks
GT Coaster Brake Hub
Nos Clear GT Grips

#14 2016-10-14 10:59am

Coco

Someone must have followed me home one day. Thieves cut the locks on our outdoor shed and stole My Hutch Pro Racer.

#15 2016-10-14 11:06am

LordAriakan
Centurion Member
Bikes: 3

Spend all summer with a '91 Slammer on layaway at the LBS, had it a week, stopped into a friends house for a few minutes and stupidly left it on the front lawn....never to be seen again

#16 2016-10-14 11:09am

Sodbuster
Pro Member
Bikes: 14

The 80's huh? That lets me out. neutral

When I find a part i need for something I am putting together and I have no trust as to weather the part is 30 years old or 30 days old and I'm being charged a price on par with the real genuine and true item. I not only have to question the logic of people with your mind set but the state of the whole hobby in general. That is more to the point why so many people that knew better just walked away. Because they stopped being "OLD" kids bikes and are just kids bikes. Where in all that does the bullshit really lay?

#17 2016-10-14 11:15am

addictedfor30yrs
Pro Member

A "friend" lured me and my buddy over to finally pay my friend for some wheels he bought. When we walk inside his house for some kool aid his buddies swooped in and stole my '83 National Pro w/401's,skyway graphites,Hutch pedals etc. Also took my buddies '82 Skyway TA loaded with goodies! Might as well of ripped out our hearts! Sick feeling! Thieves suck!!!

#18 2016-10-14 11:30am

Minx20
Pro Member
Bikes: 25
For Sale: 3

Wonder how many kids told their parents their bike was stolen in hopes to get it replaced with a better bike big_smile

#19 2016-10-14 11:44am

rareair
Pro Member
Bikes: 65
For Sale: 8
Website

Never had an entire bike stolen, but I was victim to having my brand new pad set taken.

I was in the 5th grade back in '82, and just like all kids, I rode my Schwinn Thunder Road to school and always locked it up. Then, if you had a set of California Lite pads, you took them off and stuck them in your back pack.
  Well, one morning my best friend at the time tells me "Oh, just leave your pad set. No one wants the plain Black ones, people steal the checkered pattern ones". I gullibly believed him and left my brand new pad set on the bike.  Well, you know what happened when the school bell rang and school was out. I came out to a naked bike sad    Turns out one of the older kids (6th grader) pressured my buddy into telling me to leave my pad set so the older kid could take them. And I never forgot that kids' name (am I allowed to call out that thieving piece of scum?)
Happy ending- 22 years later the older kid comes into one of my shops looking for employment. Needless to say, I don't hire thieves.

Last edited by rareair (2016-10-29 8:33pm)

Wanted: Sugino bottom bracket for Redline 400 cranks
Wanted: Diamondback Turbo stamped seat post
Wanted: FN SCAR16S
Wanted: Silver Streak ser #3H1508

#20 2016-10-14 12:19pm

CHAMPION-26
Pro Member

Sodbuster wrote:

The 80's huh? That lets me out. neutral

No way... we can't leave out the 70's "The Birth Of BMX".
Please share you stories as well.  smile

Tioga Comp Ramp Tires
88 Skyway T/A 280 Forks
GT Coaster Brake Hub
Nos Clear GT Grips

#21 2016-10-14 12:21pm

CHAMPION-26
Pro Member

rareair wrote:

Never had an entire bike stolen, but I was victim to having my brand new pad set taken.

I was in the 5th grade back in '82, and just like all kids, I rode my Schwinn Scrambler to school and always locked it up. Then, if you had a set of California Lite pads, you took them off and stuck them in your back pack.
  Well, one morning my best friend at the time tells me "Oh, just leave your pad set. No one wants the plain Black ones, people steal the checkered pattern ones". I gullibly believed him and left my brand new pad set on the bike.  Well, you know what happened when the school bell rang and school was out. I came out to a naked bike sad    Turns out one of the older kids (6th grader) pressured my buddy into telling me to leave my pad set so the older kid could take them. And I never forgot that kids' name (am I allowed to call out that thieving piece of scum?)
Happy ending- 22 years later the older kid comes into one of my shops looking for employment. Needless to say, I don't hire thieves.

Karma is a Bitch! lol

Tioga Comp Ramp Tires
88 Skyway T/A 280 Forks
GT Coaster Brake Hub
Nos Clear GT Grips

#22 2016-10-14 12:22pm

CHAMPION-26
Pro Member

Last edited by CHAMPION-26 (2016-10-14 12:22pm)

Tioga Comp Ramp Tires
88 Skyway T/A 280 Forks
GT Coaster Brake Hub
Nos Clear GT Grips

#23 2016-10-14 12:30pm

lincoln3x7
Website

A "buddy" gave me a Panda frame. I saved money from delivering papers and had some suzu hubs laced to arayas, I think i picked up some redline neck as well (couldn't afford the redline crankset) Built it up, rode it for a few months before it was stolen of my front porch. I heard later my "buddy"  stole it. Never saw it again. For some reason he didn't want to hang out anymore. All my other bikes were ripped off as well.... until I got into MTB and kept my rides in my house. I'm still paranoid.

BTW - It was local bmx shop, he built everything up and hung it on the wall, I made payments until I could take it all home.

#24 2016-10-14 4:08pm

cricketman
Pro Member
Bikes: 12
For Sale: 1

The cops stole my hutch at Myrtle Beach when me and a friend was trespassing at a condo swimming pool  at the ripe age of 14 chasing some girls. Long story short,  my parent reported it stolen and the officer said it was there. We went to get it and the officer gave me a fit, the my parents took it away for two weeks and whipped my a$$. Never seen the girls or the condo again sadbig_smile

#25 2016-10-14 5:35pm

playtoyregal
Pro Member

I had a chrome 85 gt mach one stolen from my parents garage when i was in basic training for the arny. My parents told me and i was so pissed it took me many years to get back into bikes.

Board footer

View Cart →