You are not logged in.

Do you guys remember any BMX old school mysterys from growing up ?  RSS Feed

#1 2016-08-14 1:50am

cbrstar
Pro Member

Do you guys remember any BMX old school mysterys from growing up ?

Growing up without the internet, there was always those rumors and tall tales from kids about that uber BMX they had seen. You didn't know if it was true or not, but deep down you kinda hoped it was. 

One story I heard which I still remember...

By the 90's, Skyway wheels had all but disappeared from where I lived, and I didn't know anyone who actually had a set. The story was that if you bent them, then put them in the freezer overnight, magically they would straighten perfectly straight. 
A couple years later it was the same story, but this time it had changed to Araya Aero rims. Because they were too expensive for anyone around here to own a pair and know differently.

Don't laugh but to this day I still don't really know, was there a rim you froze to straighten out?

I'd like to hear your guys story's even if they have long since been debunked. big_smile

#2 2016-08-14 2:08am

Ladis
Pro Member
Bikes: 2

Re: Do you guys remember any BMX old school mysterys from growing up ?

...yeah, I did "freeze" my tuffs...and really believed it helped to straithen them. But when I remember right, they became untrue again after they were "defrosted"....big_smile

A rumor I once heard, read about was, that Eddie Fiola could do a backflip-bunnyhop. I then contacted him via facebook and he denied that he did this trick in the early eigthies, but also believed that some day somebody will pull off this trick tongue

#3 2016-08-14 3:39am

olskoolbmxfreek
Museum Addict

I remember this guy who could bunny hop 4-5 skateboards stacked on edge and other amazing tricks..legend has it that he was a PRO but never could confirm it..He gave away stickers that were little colorado liscense plates that said JMPNJOE..That is what he called himself..JUMPIN JOE!!..Any one ever heard of him?..I remember the freezer trick being on Z rims..

#4 2016-08-14 3:46am

El Goodo
Expert

If you broke a Race Inc., you got a free replacement.

My back tire caught a kid's arm on liftoff as I was bunny hopping over a group of them during a show.  Afterwards, the kid came to collect my bike.  He'd heard that if you hit someone during a show, you had to give your bike to the kid you hit.  Yeah, that didn't happen.

#5 2016-08-14 4:46am

rcsnipe2000
Pro Member
For Sale: 1229
Website

im pretty sure the race inc thing is true. back then, lifetime warrenty ment something.......it just didnt litteraly last a lifetime!!

but, i did ride a diamondback pro and i cracked the frame....bike shop gave me a new one. i also cracked the forks....4 times! they gave me a new fork each time. the 4th time, they gave me a bandito fork! i wish i still had that bike!

a couple years after that, i got a schwinn comp in a trade, it had been spray bombed atleast 7 otr 8 times, and it had a nasty crack running down the side of the seat tube.  atleast 6 inches long and went into multiple cracks. it was toast! i took it to the schwinn shop and gave it to them, 2 weeks later they called and had a new candy apple red schwinn comp frame for me.....free!

so that really did happen.

as for the freezer theing. never tried it on a tuff, its physically impossable for the freezer to straighten a araya areo, or a z rim. the spokes will keep it where its at, the bottom line is it needs to be trued with a spoke wrench.....not the freezer.

rc

I sell used parts! If you are looking for nos or dead mint parts, dont buy from me. If you are looking for used, usable parts. Im the guy ya want to buy from.

WILL TRADE FOR

snafu mobus or simular gyro , gold, red,or blue, sealed threadless headset gold, red, anno chain tensioners red, gold, or blue, anno v brakes gold or red, anno u brakes blue,gold, or red anno colored spoke nipples gold, red, or blue

#6 2016-08-14 9:59am

olskoolbmxfreek
Museum Addict

You had to unlace the Zrim..Legend also has it you could put it on the roof and the heat would straighten it out too!

#7 2016-08-14 10:16am

NeilH
Pro Membera.k.a. "Scruff"
Bikes: 30

Freezer thing is a complete myth.

I want to hear if anyone has any info on the Kuwahara "Neon".....

****************     Be what you is, not what you is not.....folks who do this are the happiest lot.     ****************
[img]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk48/lil_ball_boy15/RedSoxUBJPG.jpg[/img][img]http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc47/opima07/patriots.jpg[/img]
R        U        D        E                   A        N        D                   O        B        N        O        X        I        O        U        S

#8 2016-08-14 10:47am

rcsnipe2000
Pro Member
For Sale: 1229
Website

olskoolbmxfreek wrote:

You had to unlace the Zrim..Legend also has it you could put it on the roof and the heat would straighten it out too!

how d you know? if you unlaced it, the warp left when the spokes left. before it ever made it to the freezer.....if the spokes would have just been tightened and adjusted, they wouldnt have been warped.

rc

I sell used parts! If you are looking for nos or dead mint parts, dont buy from me. If you are looking for used, usable parts. Im the guy ya want to buy from.

WILL TRADE FOR

snafu mobus or simular gyro , gold, red,or blue, sealed threadless headset gold, red, anno chain tensioners red, gold, or blue, anno v brakes gold or red, anno u brakes blue,gold, or red anno colored spoke nipples gold, red, or blue

#9 2016-08-14 10:48am

KuWa FS
Pro MemberKuwahara Freestyler
Bikes: 7

NeilH wrote:

That rumor only started a few years ago!!  lol

Well if you still don't believe you best get up and leave
Do what you must do, but this ain't the place for you

Kuwahara, its the best!!

When I'm dead, i'll stop riding bikes.

#10 2016-08-14 11:12am

olskoolbmxfreek
Museum Addict

rcsnipe2000 wrote:

olskoolbmxfreek wrote:

how d you know? if you unlaced it, the warp left when the spokes left. before it ever made it to the freezer.....if the spokes would have just been tightened and adjusted, they wouldnt have been warped.

rc

My buddy caught about 6-7 feet of air at this spot called the V's back in the day and tacoed a set of blue Z's and simply tightening the spokes would have done nothing..They had to be unlaced and then put on the roof..It did actually work to some degree..It broke the hub flange and nearly pulled the nips thru the rim..I understand what you are saying as far as how it works but we were kids and those Myths were awesome!

Last edited by olskoolbmxfreek (2016-08-14 11:28am)

#11 2016-08-14 11:16am

sawdoff85
Pro MemberBanned

KuWa FS wrote:

NeilH wrote:

I heard the freezer myth back in '89

You know who you are
"I'm ina phone booth, I needa ambuh-lance!"
I do not use drugs, and I quit smokin weed. That's probably why I have zero tolerance for incompetence and idiocy

Iso: bi-oval predator forks, vp-666 pedals, powerlite p-51 f/f , bullet proof stuff

#12 2016-08-14 11:18am

KuWa FS
Pro MemberKuwahara Freestyler

sawdoff85 wrote:

KuWa FS wrote:

NeilH wrote:

im talking neon

Well if you still don't believe you best get up and leave
Do what you must do, but this ain't the place for you

Kuwahara, its the best!!

When I'm dead, i'll stop riding bikes.

#13 2016-08-14 11:41am

rmeneses
Pro Member
Bikes: 10

The freezer myth... How about a fat front/rear skinny tire combo?  If it was that critical, wouldn't the minis with sew-ups follow suit?  Also, Flight cranks and Profiles can be bent due to heavy riding.

"Stupidity should be painful"

#14 2016-08-14 11:50am

kleinbike
Centurion Member

Around here, the Z-rim myth was that if you cracked them, putting them in the freezer would mend the crack.

Around 1st and 2nd grade, only the older kids had three piece cranks. Us little guys thought the slotted caps on them were actually locks that took a key because those cranks were so valuable.

What?

#15 2016-08-14 12:05pm

Mach Oneswiped
Intermediate

That's funny to see I thought we were the only ones sticking mags in the freezer.My buddies parents aka the only guy with a deep freeze repeatedly told us it wouldn't work and quit putting our wheels on their food.

Im a loaner

#16 2016-08-14 12:06pm

rareair
Pro Member
Bikes: 66
For Sale: 6
Website

Too bad the tv show Myth Busters came to an end.  They could have had an old school BMX-only episode

Wanted: Diamondback Turbo stamped seat post
Wanted: FN SCAR16S
Wanted: Silver Streak ser #3H1508

#17 2016-08-14 12:22pm

TONE
Museum Addict

Everyone has encountered the guy that talks about how he raced back in the day and his bike weighed 6 lbs.

I'm done!  I need NOTHING!!!!!   smile

#18 2016-08-14 12:26pm

G DUB
Museum Newbie

I can't imagine warping Z rims! I can remember landing on them and feeling them flex and pop back into shape.

#19 2016-08-14 12:36pm

NickP22
Centurion Member
Bikes: 11

Modern day myth.  Everyone I meet who says they raced bitd claims they "rode for" or was "sponsored by" a factory team.  Torker, Redline, Mongoose, you name it and I've met someone who says they from that team, lol.  Just because your mom and dad bought you the jersey and pants it doesn't mean you were a factory rider! lol

#20 2016-08-14 1:36pm

STREETBEATBEAST
Pro MemberSKYWAY SENSAI
Bikes: 1

olskoolbmxfreek wrote:

I remember this guy who could bunny hop 4-5 skateboards stacked on edge and other amazing tricks..legend has it that he was a PRO but never could confirm it..He gave away stickers that were little colorado liscense plates that said JMPNJOE..That is what he called himself..JUMPIN JOE!!..Any one ever heard of him?..I remember the freezer trick being on Z rims..

Ya, Jumpin Joe Hendericks. Rode SKYWAY. He's in Curb Dogs and BMX freestyle the video.
He also rode GT.

Last edited by STREETBEATBEAST (2016-08-14 1:36pm)

Heres my profound, life changing statement.
Lifes a bitch..PASS ME A BEER.

They're reacting and that's wonderful. It's better than them sitting there doing nothing. I say make them react - do whatever's in your power to move the audience, and if that's where it is, and there where it is with America, sex and violence, then I say project it.
ALICE COOPER

#21 2016-08-14 1:39pm

STREETBEATBEAST
Pro MemberSKYWAY SENSAI
Bikes: 1

The myth I heard that turned out to be true was the ALL CHROME '87 SKYWAY STREETBEAT with 990s. Not the '88 model but '87s. They exist. I have a FREESTYLIN' mag with SCOTTY Freeman on one, and I know Tad Raudman had his in his office when he worked for SKYWAY.

Last edited by STREETBEATBEAST (2016-08-14 1:40pm)

Heres my profound, life changing statement.
Lifes a bitch..PASS ME A BEER.

They're reacting and that's wonderful. It's better than them sitting there doing nothing. I say make them react - do whatever's in your power to move the audience, and if that's where it is, and there where it is with America, sex and violence, then I say project it.
ALICE COOPER

#22 2016-08-14 2:39pm

daddy-o
Pro Member
Bikes: 5

For sure I remember the tuff wheels in the freezer story. I don't know anyone who ever did it though. I also remember the myth of crazy light race bikes in the early 80's.

There were Clem Twin cranks that existed, but the claim of more power on the stroke was bogus. I always heard that the Blue Max bikes were only available through Armed Forces stores on the military bases. The other one that I heard back in the 80's and today was that there were anodized chains. I think people were referring to the sparkle colors that kMC had and still has..

#23 2016-08-14 2:48pm

cbrstar
Pro Member

TONE wrote:

Everyone has encountered the guy that talks about how he raced back in the day and his bike weighed 6 lbs.

That's another good one, there was always that elusive under 10 pound BMX out there, and it was always a brand name you never heard of. My friends older brother had a Hutch which he claimed was only 7lbs...Sad thing is we believed him even though he would never let us pick up his bike. lol

Another one for me that was kinda brand specific.

I had a Kastan, with not sure what the real name was but we called it the uni-fork. I always heard two story's, that the fork always snapped and a whole bunch of kids had died so they were banned from racing. Or that there was nothing wrong with them, they were banned for being too light.

The first story had me so paranoid that I wouldn't do any big jumps, and one day I thought I heard it creaking and thought I had found a crack. So it had to go! But instead of throwing it out my friend wanted it. A week later I saw him doing jumps that were 3x higher then I would dare! He had "Welded it" though I think what I originally saw was just a scratch. He continued to ride that fork hard for the next two years until he had moved away.

#24 2016-08-14 3:00pm

sawdoff85
Pro MemberBanned

"My bike was so lite I could lift it with my pinky."

You know who you are
I do not use drugs, and I quit smokin weed. That's probably why I have zero tolerance for incompetence and idiocy

Iso: bi-oval predator forks, vp-666 pedals, powerlite p-51 f/f , bullet proof stuff

#25 2016-08-14 3:01pm

sawdoff85
Pro MemberBanned

KuWa FS wrote:

sawdoff85 wrote:

KuWa FS wrote:

im talking neon

Word, my bad Kuwa

You know who you are

Board footer

View Cart →