You are not logged in.

1989 Haro Sport Ron Wilkerson Tribute  RSS Feed

#51 2016-05-11 11:52pm

sport123
Pro Member

Re: 1989 Haro Sport Ron Wilkerson Tribute

Wow! Looking great!!
Look the way I see it, it's his stuff so has the freedom to do what he wants with it, and if it's about money then that's life some have it some don't....

#52 2016-05-12 4:50am

RI Haro Freestyler
Pro Member
Bikes: 24

sport123 wrote:

Wow! Looking great!!
Look the way I see it, it's his stuff so has the freedom to do what he wants with it, and if it's about money then that's life some have it some don't....

Thanks for the support!

Last edited by RI Haro Freestyler (2016-05-12 4:53am)

46 years old and still loving my Haros!

#53 2016-05-12 5:08am

RI Haro Freestyler
Pro Member

STREETBEATBEAST wrote:

I get it as a tribute/recreation bike, and I can accept and appreciate the workmanship/craftsmanship of making something that otherwise you can't buy.
But, am I to comprehend that guys are ok with destroying two original frames to make a recreation of another?
Is this now an acceptable practice?
If I do something similar and do it well, will I get a positive reaction as well, or will I get blasted for destroying two perfectly good original frames to make a fake?
How do you list this bike now? The serial number says one thing, but it's physically something else.
Will you post it with a full explanation as to how it was made and what frames were used, or will it be misrepresented as something it appears to be?
There's allot of people that take different year frames, and because it looks mostly like another year..they ll re-decal it as a more popular model and don't explain what the bike really is. THAT'S MISREPRESENTING, WHICH IS LIEING!
I'm asking reasonable questions.
If this was done at the Barret-Jackson Car auction, it would have to be completely disclosed.
I can better accept someone hiring a pro frame builder to recreate a tribute bike, that way you're not destroying an original, but this emphasizes that course of action brings this into the realm of the RICH as most of us CANNOT afford the high prices of a topnotch frame builder and the high cost of getting or having specialized tubing made in certain circumstances..
Something to think about.

The thread states what frames were used and years of said frames.

We all have seem to have forgotten the golden rule that we learned early on, which landed us in timeout if we didn’t follow it.
If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it at all.
Time and time again, we bring negativity into our lives without realizing the negative things we say about people are like boomerangs.
As someone who is quick to please and enjoys making people happy, the world of negativity and criticism has come my way....

#54 2016-05-12 5:10am

OG'89
sloppy headset
Bikes: 17

Beast -- this, to me, is love for Haro and a lost gem at its finest. It's one thing to build a show stopping, catalog correct Master, or Bravo, or Street Beat, but we all grew up watching the pros, and seeing what they were doing on and to their bikes.

In the early days, with big factory support, riders were clean and always well turned out in the best of the best. But 1989 was not the best of times, as I'm sure you know.

Riding progressed even as the money dried up. So by 89, the bikes had much more character as riders picked parts based more on what worked best, or what wouldn't break, vs. What their sponsor maybe preferred. Wilkerson's Master / Sport is no exception, and is instantly recognizable and so full of his style, imbued with his spirit and 'character...' It's a great bike. One that is next to impossible to recreate.

So it's a testament to Ken's determination as a collector and Haro fan that he take this on. This bike deserves to be represented here on the museum. It's a balls-out 90's street machine.

43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

WTB (long-term projects): anything DBI, 97-98 Schwinn SS1, 'Dave Cullinan' Robinson f/f, Homeless Mack SL.

#55 2016-05-12 5:19am

RI Haro Freestyler
Pro Member

OG'89 wrote:

Beast -- this, to me, is love for Haro and a lost gem at its finest. It's one thing to build a show stopping, catalog correct Master, or Bravo, or Street Beat, but we all grew up watching the pros, and seeing what they were doing on and to their bikes.

In the early days, with big factory support, riders were clean and always well turned out in the best of the best. But 1989 was not the best of times, as I'm sure you know.

Riding progressed even as the money dried up. So by 89, the bikes had much more character as riders picked parts based more on what worked best, or what wouldn't break, vs. What their sponsor maybe preferred. Wilkerson's Master / Sport is no exception, and is instantly recognizable and so full of his style, imbued with his spirit and 'character...' It's a great bike. One that is next to impossible to recreate.

So it's a testament to Ken's determination as a collector and Haro fan that he take this on. This bike deserves to be represented here on the museum. It's a balls-out 90's street machine.

Thank you Dan. Have a great day bro!

#56 2016-05-12 5:19am

mr.x
Pro Member
Bikes: 1

now go weld the other frame back together

#57 2016-05-12 5:24am

200OZ
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

What a great build, much more interesting than most of the run of the mill, period correct builds we see day to day on this site. Thanks for sharing the process with all the pics.
You'll be able to use this thread for documentation to fully disclose the work done when you sell this in a Barrett-Jackson auction. tongue Subscribed! Love it!

#58 2016-05-12 5:26am

sport123
Pro Member

Weld the other 1 bk together lol like it another hybrid!!

#59 2016-05-12 5:34am

RI Haro Freestyler
Pro Member

sport123 wrote:

The old Master top tube will be made into a shelf in my bike room for my trophies that this bike will win (LOL) and the rear triangle from the Invert will be made into the bike stand for this bike....

#60 2016-05-12 5:40am

mr.x
Pro Member

RI Haro Freestyler wrote:

sport123 wrote:

The old Master top tube will be made into a shelf in my bike room for my trophies that this bike will win (LOL) and the rear triangle from the Invert will be made into the bike stand for this bike....

hmm

#61 2016-05-12 5:55am

sport123
Pro Member

RI Haro Freestyler wrote:

sport123 wrote:

big_smilebig_smile lol

#62 2016-05-12 6:08am

oldsklHaro
Pro MemberHARO Hound
Bikes: 33

STREETBEATBEAST wrote:

I get it as a tribute/recreation bike, and I can accept and appreciate the workmanship/craftsmanship of making something that otherwise you can't buy.
But, am I to comprehend that guys are ok with destroying two original frames to make a recreation of another?
If I do something similar and do it well, will I get a positive reaction as well, or will I get blasted for destroying two perfectly good original frames to make a fake?
How do you list this bike now? The serial number says one thing, but it's physically something else.
Will you post it with a full explanation as to how it was made and what frames were used, or will it be misrepresented as something it appears to be?
There's allot of people that take different year frames, and because it looks mostly like another year..they ll re-decal it as a more popular model and don't explain what the bike really is. THAT'S MISREPRESENTING, WHICH IS LIEING!
If this was done at the Barret-Jackson Car auction, it would have to be completely disclosed.
I can better accept someone hiring a pro frame builder to recreate a tribute bike, that way you're not destroying an original, but this emphasizes that course of action brings this into the realm of the RICH as most of us CANNOT afford the high prices of a topnotch frame builder and the high cost of getting or having specialized tubing made in certain circumstances..

Dude if you don't know the clear answer to each and every one of your questions then kick rocks and stay off this thread......you don't have a clue.

Your entire rant is inflammatory and serves no real insight into what the OP is doing or trying to accomplish!

I feel sorry for RI Haro to have to acknowledge such nonsense roll

Last edited by oldsklHaro (2016-05-12 6:25am)

#63 2016-05-12 7:18am

kevincash
Bikes: 4

Dude if you don't know the clear answer to each and every one of your questions then kick rocks and stay off this thread......you don't have a clue.

Your entire rant is inflammatory and serves no real insight into what the OP is doing or trying to accomplish!

^^^This

Plus he isn't trying to mislead anyone. He's posted an entire thread detailing his project on his frames.

Keep up the work RI, this is the only topic I'm subscribed too.

looking for an orange 87-88 PFT complete. I have the funds burning a hole in my pocket.

#64 2016-05-12 7:25am

OG'89
sloppy headset
Bikes: 17

STREETBEATBEAST -- One other thing -- as Ken has already mentioned, there were only ever 6 of these frames made. One is alive and well in the Museum (Eben's beauty of an original Proto) but the others are more than likely lost forever, or destroyed in the process of the daily abuse they were receiving. Of the other five, Ron's is the best documented, and that alone makes it deserving of recreation. How many Wilkerson 86 Sport tributes are out there? Plenty. I recreated Mat's PK Ripper. This is no different. Passion for a rider, and for a specific time in BMX history. This project simply goes above and beyond as it involves some fabrication work. OP is ok with that (and clearly has a fine stable of originals as well -- so he's already done his bit for conservation) and if OP is good with it, and has the drive to create something this beautiful, while also making use of the cast-off bits, then we should applaud, not berate.

Aside from that -- you mention, if you were to do something similar... what did you have in mind? What are you building?

43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

WTB (long-term projects): anything DBI, 97-98 Schwinn SS1, 'Dave Cullinan' Robinson f/f, Homeless Mack SL.

#65 2016-05-12 1:36pm

Northland_Rider
Pro Member
Bikes: 18

OG'89 wrote:

+1

#66 2016-05-12 1:51pm

justin440
Centurion Member

Quite frankly, this is one of the coolest builds I've ever seen.

#67 2016-05-12 3:31pm

STREETBEATBEAST
Pro MemberSKYWAY SENSAI

oldsklHaro wrote:

STREETBEATBEAST wrote:

You obviously misunderstood my whole point and that insults me. I said

"I can accept and appreciate the workmanship/craftsmanship of making something that otherwise you can't buy".

Didnt I?
Yes I did. I was making a point of so many people not correctly describing what their build is. I didn't "RANT". I was asking questions, reasonable questions. But as usual, people jump down my throat for what? Because you judged me without listening to my point.

I love the fact the he's building this bike.
I was also making a point about me doing something similar and having members bad mouth me for it!
So how come, it's ok for an american to build a bike by splicing two or more frames to create a "RECREATION/DREAM BIKE",
but when I talked about doing the same thing a while back.. I got blasted for it?

Heres my profound, life changing statement.
Lifes a bitch..PASS ME A BEER.

They're reacting and that's wonderful. It's better than them sitting there doing nothing. I say make them react - do whatever's in your power to move the audience, and if that's where it is, and there where it is with America, sex and violence, then I say project it.
ALICE COOPER

#68 2016-05-12 3:47pm

STREETBEATBEAST
Pro MemberSKYWAY SENSAI

Why is it OK for you guys to build a bike in this manner?
But when I discussed it,
I got my head ripped off, and was ridiculed.

Why?

They're reacting and that's wonderful. It's better than them sitting there doing nothing. I say make them react - do whatever's in your power to move the audience, and if that's where it is, and there where it is with America, sex and violence, then I say project it.
ALICE COOPER

#69 2016-05-12 5:57pm

ebenk
Pro Member
Bikes: 4

The only thing I have to say on the matter of tearing two frames apart to make a replica of the last Haro that Ron actually rode, is why should it matter. Granted I may piss some people off by saying this, but didn't we all get into bmx for the fun of it? Same thing with the collecting side of it in my opinion. What Ken has already accomplished with this build is nothing short of amazing, it's really awesome seeing a replica of Ron's bike, I was beyond jealous that he got the red one, but eventually ended up with a production red one around six months later. I've had the discussion many times on trying to figure out why Haro never produced these, the only answer I could ever come up with is that it was Bob's way of making sure the ramp guys in the team weren't stuck riding a "street frame" with flat specific geometry. Regardless of all of this, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this bike finished, and have nothing but respect for how much effort Ken has put into making this a reality.

#70 2016-05-12 6:19pm

fbm821
Pro MemberAlbert Street
Website

STREETBEATBEAST wrote:

oldsklHaro wrote:

STREETBEATBEAST wrote:

You COMPLETELY MISUNDERSTOOD ME.
Why?

drama,come on man please move on.

#71 2016-05-12 6:24pm

JTinNC
Museum Addict
Bikes: 10
Website

Thanks for sharing this information. It's always great to hear from those involved the little backstories and details that led to the evolution of bike designs throughout the history of freestyle. I hope you have more to share as this bike is finished, its a unique piece of history.

"If you're gonna eat shit, don't nibble on it."

#72 2016-05-12 6:55pm

lappedrider
Pro MemberRiding In The Back!
Bikes: 3

This build is amazing! Keep it up! cool

Looking for Odyssey Principal Ballistic in Black

#73 2016-05-12 7:11pm

ghostrider
Resident .AI hack!
Bikes: 7

Ken it's coming along great!  Can't wait to see it finished! smile

#74 2016-05-12 7:33pm

PBR_Streetgang
Pro Member
Bikes: 5

I think this project is awesome and i think it's appropriate that he took two things, tore them up, and created the thing he was after.

That kind of DIY thinking was part of what made guys like wilkerson legends in the first place. He got tired of raking forks and cracking frames so he made stuff that fit his riding style and lived through the abuse.

Think back to the late 90s/early 90s and all the pros in magazines youd see riding haro frames with gt stems and peregrine bars and redline cranks etc. You adapt things to your needs.
The type of thinking that drives this project is the same kind that kept bmx alive when sponsors dried up, nobody held comps, bike companies weren't paying attention to how much gear their teams were destroying.  Those guys wanted something, so they went out and made it.

"You want it one way, but it's the other way."

#75 2016-05-12 8:20pm

STREETBEATBEAST
Pro MemberSKYWAY SENSAI

STREETBEATBEAST wrote:

Why is it OK for you guys to build a bike in this manner?
But when I discussed it,
I got my head ripped off, and was ridiculed.

Why?

I didn't get an snswer.

ALICE COOPER

Board footer

View Cart →