Need Some Redline Experts on This...  RSS Feed

#1 2015-09-25 10:09am

SupergooseScrambler
Pro Member
Bikes: 33
For Sale: 26
Website

Need Some Redline Experts on This...

I picked up this redline several years ago with the intent to make it an MX-II replica.  My question is, what is it?  Cant find a serial number. 

http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss248/kisskrazyjim/IMG_5381_zpsbzf2miq0.jpg

By the way,  here it is today.  a VERY slow work in progress.

http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss248/kisskrazyjim/DSC04565_zpsjxnazmly.jpg

#2 2015-09-25 2:06pm

boersma31p
Museum Addict
Bikes: 16

Re: Need Some Redline Experts on This...

The color scheme and decals indicate an 89 or 90. Not Redline forks.

#3 2015-09-25 10:50pm

Draw
Pro MemberRev on the Redline
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 13

what you have is a series 3 frameset.

most likely a 520 or something along those lines.

http://bmxmuseum.com/reference/3336

Light, Strong, Cheap ... Pick two

#4 2015-09-28 2:36pm

SupergooseScrambler
Pro Member
Bikes: 33
For Sale: 26
Website

Good info.  So here is my next question.  Most of these redlines look the same (at least similar)  What sets them apart from each other?  Is there a reference sight on this?

#5 2015-09-29 5:09am

tglee
Pro Member
Bikes: 7
Website

Most of these redlines look the same (at least similar)  What sets them apart from each other?

Length of frame tubes, gusset design and placement on top tubes, down tubes and seat tubes, chain stay bracing, shape of dropouts, dropouts knurled or not knurled, shape of chain and seat stay tube ends, inside of bottom bracket drilling, original finishes and of course serial numbers lol.

Considering all of these features as a whole can lead to a probable model and year identification.

"That LiL Holeshot I built a couple years ago that took Best Mini was a nice bike, but I'll bet most people didn't even see the greatest thing about it. The frame and fork was in awesome condition, and when I started to build it I found residue of car wax in the welds. That means at one time, long ago some little kid enjoyed that bike so much that he sat and stared at it while he waxed it to perfection. That's the kinda stuff I appreciate, and can relate to very well."  John De Bruin-6/21/09

#6 2015-09-29 5:45am

olskoolbmxfreek
Museum Addict

Look like a 420 to me..

#7 2015-09-29 6:02am

cmb
Pro MemberTexan by birth, Scottish by drink
Bikes: 8

tglee wrote:

Most of these redlines look the same (at least similar)  What sets them apart from each other?

Length of frame tubes, gusset design and placement on top tubes, down tubes and seat tubes, chain stay bracing, shape of dropouts, dropouts knurled or not knurled, shape of chain and seat stay tube ends, inside of bottom bracket drilling, original finishes and of course serial numbers lol

Considering all of these features as a whole can lead to a probable model and year identification.

You forgot brazed rear dropouts!  You almost had the complete list tongue

Just your typical Aggie Hutch owner. Gig'em.

Never trust a man that doesn't know what beer tastes like or wears more than two rings.

I usually edit for my grammar mistakes.

#8 2015-09-29 10:43am

tglee
Pro Member
Bikes: 7
Website

You forgot brazed rear dropouts!  You almost had the complete list tongue

You are correct!  I did forget.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa253/tglee1/1981brazeddropout.jpg

"That LiL Holeshot I built a couple years ago that took Best Mini was a nice bike, but I'll bet most people didn't even see the greatest thing about it. The frame and fork was in awesome condition, and when I started to build it I found residue of car wax in the welds. That means at one time, long ago some little kid enjoyed that bike so much that he sat and stared at it while he waxed it to perfection. That's the kinda stuff I appreciate, and can relate to very well."  John De Bruin-6/21/09

Board footer

View Cart →