Mystery Bottom Bracket creaking SOLVED

#1 2015-07-25 8:05pm

ninjadad13
Pro Member
Signed up: 2011-07-07
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 2

Mystery Bottom Bracket creaking SOLVED

I have a 2014 WTP Atlas 24 and I love it, but I was having some creaking issues in the BB that I could not fix no matter how tight I made the crank arms.
First I took it all apart and greased everything up really good, but the creaking continued.
I bought a new BB, but the creaking continued. New pedals, still creaking!
Couldn't figure it out so I swapped the rear wheel, chain, and sprocket, but it was still creaking!
Finally broke down and bought new Profile cranks and spindle. STILL CREAKING!
So I thought, maybe I got a bad BB? Bought a new Profile BB thinking, "if this doesn't work I'm done with this bike!" STILL CREAKING! WTF!
I was at my whits end with this bike.
Looking for cracks, holding the bike and pressing in on the pedal with my foot and I could feel the creaking from the BB through the seat.
Pulled out the seat post and creaking stopped! I've never had a seat post creak so badly when you weren't even sitting on it.
Over $200 later, I put some grease on the seat post and the creaking is finally gone!
LESSON LEARNED today.

#2 2015-07-25 8:08pm

falloutbmx
SCHIZOPHRENIC PYROMANIAC FOR YOUR ENTERTAINMENT!
Signed up: 2013-03-31
Bikes: 25
Website

Re: Mystery Bottom Bracket creaking SOLVED

Good to know. big_smile

WANTED: Blue Tuff II's, a good cruiser project or complete.
Sell me your mics decal lots!
Comment on my bikes I want to hear your feedback and fave my stuffs...

Just another brick in the wall...
Follow me on Instagram @Brayden_Connolly
I have hit my head many times so if I cant remember where I am...wait how did I get here?

#3 2015-07-25 8:16pm

azaussie
Pro Member
Signed up: 2009-06-05
Bikes: 18

ninjadad13 wrote:

I have a 2014 WTP Atlas 24 and I love it, but I was having some creaking issues in the BB that I could not fix no matter how tight I made the crank arms.
First I took it all apart and greased everything up really good, but the creaking continued.
I bought a new BB, but the creaking continued. New pedals, still creaking!
Couldn't figure it out so I swapped the rear wheel, chain, and sprocket, but it was still creaking!
Finally broke down and bought new Profile cranks and spindle. STILL CREAKING!
So I thought, maybe I got a bad BB? Bought a new Profile BB thinking, "if this doesn't work I'm done with this bike!" STILL CREAKING! WTF!
I was at my whits end with this bike.
Looking for cracks, holding the bike and pressing in on the pedal with my foot and I could feel the creaking from the BB through the seat.
Pulled out the seat post and creaking stopped! I've never had a seat post creak so badly when you weren't even sitting on it.
Over $200 later, I put some grease on the seat post and the creaking is finally gone!
LESSON LEARNED today.

Had a similar experience with my old Black Market mob. I could totally "feel" the creaking in my feet and after swapping out the BB, cranks, pedals, chain and rear wheel it was still there. Greased the seat post and the noise was gone. D'OH!

#4 2015-07-25 8:38pm

Knarly
Pro Member
Signed up: 2012-01-03
Bikes: 8
For Sale: 6

Thanks for putting out there, my wife's Floval is doing the same thing, going to try this. I just ignored it because I didn't have to ride it! lol

LOOKING FOR........ or consider in a Trade ;
-Mint or NOS BLUE Cal Lite Johar FRAME pad.
-Mint or NOS CHROME Cal Lite Johar BAR pad.
-Orig. Blue ZERONINE Pro XL FF

"WHEN IN DOUBT, CRANK IT !"

#5 2015-07-25 8:52pm

trinity
Expert
Signed up: 2009-08-29
Bikes: 1

Knarly wrote:

Thanks for putting out there, my wife's Floval is doing the same thing, going to try this. I just ignored it because I didn't have to ride it! lol

Also put a few drops of oil on the crank boss spindel bolt.smile

#6 2015-07-26 6:42am

ninjadad13
Pro Member
Signed up: 2011-07-07
For Sale: 2

To be clear, it was a pretty long post and it had a substantial amount of post inside the frame.

#7 2015-07-26 4:44pm

Undercover
Pro MemberHot to Death
Signed up: 2015-05-03

trinity wrote:

Knarly wrote:

Also put a few drops of oil on the crank boss spindel bolt.smile

That what did it for me and my floval

Board footer