You are not logged in.

Dealing and owning stolen property  RSS Feed

#76 2015-04-16 12:01pm

jpxup
Pro MemberPro of all Pro's!!!

Re: Dealing and owning stolen property

brackett wrote:

jpxup already has 20 posts on this thread.

This fella can sniff the drama out from miles away.

Always right up in it!

I raise a valid question.., the topic has been raised as it relates to not knowing and stealing. I'm attempting to draw a line connecting deception and not knowing and explaining that the two go hand in hand., and that's creating drama? Perhaps I have taken what Society teaches us and simply turned the page to the next Chapter...titled "How to steal and get away with it, all in the name of PROFIT"

"CENSORED" if "DIFFERENT"

#77 2015-04-16 12:02pm

No100Sy
Pro MemberTRAXXAS IS #1
Bikes: 12
For Sale: 1

Just a thought.....

If the current owner paid $ XXXX.XX for the item(s) and you want the item for less than that, that's OK with you? So, him taking a loss and returning the property to you should make him 'feel good' about himself?  Right........

When buying from me, I submit feedback once I receive feedback from you. That way, I know you are happy with your purchase.

No100Sy = Number ~100~ Sy (clone)

#78 2015-04-16 12:03pm

jpxup
Pro MemberPro of all Pro's!!!

Spartacus wrote:

jpxup wrote:

Kurt_Rad wrote:

He just says shit for the purpose of pissing people off and getting a rise...

The Warden is coming.., back inside Inmate.

Enough jpxup !

OK, here's the ADMIN Message..., you speak to truth and now I'm silenced by ADMIN., see what I mean?

"CENSORED" if "DIFFERENT"

#79 2015-04-16 12:05pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 74

freestyl wrote:

Hey guys,

So I have a few honest questions for all of you as members, collectors, etc. 

So here we go...

Question #1, would you buy something from someone knowing it's a stolen item?
I have bought frames in the past wear serial was no were on frame. so I guess that's a yes for me

Question #2, do you have a problem with someone selling something that they know is stolen property?
yes I kinda do. but with OS bikes who knows when or were it was stole most of the scores of Craigs list is left overs some kid stole back in the day. then resold. only to be resold a un-known number of times! before we find it for sale.

Question #3, if you found out you had something in your collection that was stolen, regardless of it's cost to yourself or it's potential value, would you feel any type of obligation to return it to the rightful owner if you found out down the line who it belonged to?
YES YES YES I would!

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#80 2015-04-16 12:05pm

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member“The Hammer”
Bikes: 72
For Sale: 3
Website

jpxup wrote:

Spartacus wrote:

jpxup wrote:

Enough jpxup !

OK, here's the ADMIN Message..., you speak to truth and now I'm silenced by ADMIN., see what I mean?

Dude you've been here for 7 years. You know how this game works...

Like everything my friend, you a just a means to an end...

[img]http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/56126/9d4c6707-718c-4ec3-9aeb-aef1bc82caa95c467c81b65cd1c79e64.jpg[/img]

#81 2015-04-16 12:06pm

Johnnny
Pro MemberI prefer Sockeye to be honest....
Bikes: 19
Website

jpxup wrote:

Spartacus wrote:

jpxup wrote:

Enough jpxup !

I think everyone wants you to just shut up for 5 minutes. (admin or not)
DISCLAIMER: "IMO"

lol tongue

Born again. Mom has a strong uterus.

#82 2015-04-16 12:10pm

JS-44SDS
Pro MemberProfile Ultimate Pro
Bikes: 4

jpxup wrote:

JS-44SDS wrote:

jpxup wrote:

Everyone hinges on the fact of knowing first hand is bad as it relates to theft, yet forget all about principle when they knowingly pay $25 when the item is worth $500., where are they principles now?..., really are we all as HONEST as we think we are???

And I'm sure you're just as bad....in your own way.  tongue

I said WE, didn't I?

WE is sometimes used to cover oneself in a conversation so as to not be accusatory-or just because you type WE doesn't mean you mean to include yourself.

LOL Pathetic is having to get a new account because you are afraid of your wife...  Your turn kitten balls ????

If you are OK with your actions why the concerted effort to hide what happened?

Don't screw over those you tell your secrets...its not talkin shit if it's TRUE.

#83 2015-04-16 12:12pm

JS-44SDS

jpxup wrote:

Spartacus wrote:

jpxup wrote:

Enough jpxup !

TROLL under the guise of TRUTH...or TRUTH under the guise of TROLL.  lol  tongue

LOL Pathetic is having to get a new account because you are afraid of your wife...  Your turn kitten balls ????

Don't screw over those you tell your secrets...its not talkin shit if it's TRUE.

#84 2015-04-16 12:14pm

distracteDD
Pro Member

I'm sure it wasn't bought knowing it was stolen?

You were known to give a lot of stuff away to people. Including your gold trickstar?

It seems like whenever something that could have been yours that pops up you whine like a baby and throw a temper tantrum till you get it back?

Not trying to be negative?  It's an old bmx hub that you got for free isn't it?

Pay the fair price and get it back if you want it?

2500 is cheap for a sst woody itson prototype hub if you ask me?

I would be glad that it surfaced and had a chance to buy it back if I was you?

R.i.p. Smg (redline Squareback)

#85 2015-04-16 12:16pm

G.
Pro Member
Bikes: 51
For Sale: 6
Website

Basically if you have a Police Report with the items listed and you didnt recieve any Insurance compensation, the wheels would still be considered yours by the Police. You would probably not be responsible for having to pay him anything since technically he has received stolen property.

Me personally I would offer a reward as it sounds like you were willing to do, but if he has now changed what you agreed upon....thats messed up.

The guy that got caught riding my Bulldog prototype  Cruiser tried to extort our rider that caught him with it for $250 claiming thats what he paid someone off the street for it. The Detectives later got to the bottom of it and turns out he had bought it off someone in the street for $25. I had the option to get him charged with receiving stolen property, but I let it go at getting my bike back. You buy stuff, you run the risk of it being stolen...

At the end of the day, they are stolen property no matter what price collectors want to put on them. Why should he pay $2500 for his property whether he was given them free bitd or not?

Last edited by G. (2015-04-16 12:22pm)

LOOKING FOR :
Mid to Late 90's Race stuff  20 & 24"
Standard Bykes Race parts & f/f
Profile Racing chain tensioners in DK Gold (mid school ones)

RAW DEAL TEES

#86 2015-04-16 12:19pm

JS-44SDS

addicted 2 wrote:

I'm sure it wasn't bought knowing it was stolen?

You were known to give a lot of stuff away to people. Including your gold trickstar?

It seems like whenever something that could have been yours that pops up you whine like a baby and throw a temper tantrum till you get it back?

Not trying to be negative?  It's an old bmx hub that you got for free isn't it?

Pay the fair price and get it back if you want it?

2500 is cheap for a sst woody itson prototype hub if you ask me?

I would be glad that it surfaced and had a chance to buy it back if I was you?

good point.....

#87 2015-04-16 12:23pm

freestyl
Centurion Member

I'm not looking for any sympathy here TREEMANWILL.  I can well afford to buy those hubs back and the current owner can well afford to give them back.  That's not the point here, he and I already talked about that.  I'm just trying to understand the mentality behind the shift in thinking within our society from doing the right thing, a moral obligation if you will, to the anything can be justified mindset that now exists.  As for shaming the owner, I think you should be ashamed for having someone stolens items in your collection, but thats just me and the others guys Grandpa on the first page. If you paid for said items or not, that is irrelevant, they don't belong to you.  I won't apologize for that.

Based upon what I've read here, if collector A goes to an OS show and steals a nice bike, then a time later collector A sells that bike to collector B, collector B now has nothing to worry about, because he didn't steal it in the first place and since he paid good hard earned money for it, he is in the clear.  As for the guy who guy his bike jacked, he is out of luck, unless he wants to pay whatever price collector B payed to get it.  If that is really how the majority of people on this board feel, wow is all I can say.

#88 2015-04-16 12:31pm

Z.
Pro MemberOZ Shipping Dude
Bikes: 13

freestyl wrote:

I have no problems with people making money.  For example, the guy who found those NOS SST hubs on ebay not long ago for 250.00 and now could probably turn them for 10K, I'm actually fine with that.  I know some people hate that, but I'm ok with it.  I don't like when people grind you on your asking price, only to turn around and flip it for a big profit a short time later, that sucks.  That happens a lot in the Hot Wheels hobby.

As for the 25K question, if I knew the seller was telling the truth, then yes I would return it without compensation.  I've already done it once with a 4K hot wheels car.  It sucks, but it's about doing the right thing.  I don't want anything stolen in my collection, no matter what it costs me.  When I was a kid, it was a pretty black and white issue, and I hope my own kids believe the same thing.  Today it seems to be decided by your financial situation at the time or something else that allows people to say, hey, I didn't take it, I'm innocent here.  Last time I checked, if you knowinly sell something that is stolen, your no longer innocent.

Anyhow, I do appreciate the honest repsonses.  It shows me that my thinking is not quite on par with the majority of the members here and that's ok.  I can only hope that what happened to me doesn't happen to any of you, because its not a good feeling.

I agree with you.  I bought a laptop off of facebook not knowing it was stolen.  When i found out it was stolen, I went straight to the police dept and gave my statement.  I didnt get my money back because i felt like i did the right thing.  The owner of the laptop couldnt believe someone actually turned it in and did the right thing.  She sent the cash back and I didnt even ask for it.    It was nice of her to do that but she didnt have to.   

then again, there is one thing that bothers me out of this whole thing....  as  Kurt Rad has said

So the guy who stole them has been holding on to them for 20-25 years before finally selling them? That's not the MO of a typical thief. That seems very odd actually...

I think there is more to that story.     I m not taking sides of anyone -

#89 2015-04-16 12:36pm

freestyl
Centurion Member

Thank you Mods and Gary for allowing this thread to run it's course.  I don't have much more productive to ad at this point and will bow out.  For all you serious collectors out there, I would pay close attention to what was said in this thread, it was eye opener for me.  These days my current collection is insured and I suggest those of you who have substantial collections, do the same.  Good luck on the hunt.

#90 2015-04-16 12:38pm

Scraplord
Pro MemberTaste My Metal
Bikes: 16
For Sale: 23
Website

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/scraplord/smilies%20and%20such/popcorn%20for%20all_zpsfwlxbeon.jpg

Still searching for my missing bikes from BITD. 1979 Blue Max serial: CI9 221346 and 1977 Webco serial: 42667. Both were last seen at Spoke and Sport Bicycles in Spokane, WA around 1984. $600 reward if found!!

"Have you ever noticed that other people`s stuff is shit and your shit is stuff?" - George Carlin

WANT TO BUY 26" COOK BROS 3 BAR CRUISER!!

#91 2015-04-16 12:40pm

JS-44SDS

freestyl wrote:

Thank you Mods and Gary for allowing this thread to run it's course.  I don't have much more productive to ad at this point and will bow out.  For all you serious collectors out there, I would pay close attention to what was said in this thread, it was eye opener for me.  These days my current collection is insured and I suggest those of you who have substantial collections, do the same.  Good luck on the hunt.

You too man and hope it works out Woody....

#92 2015-04-16 12:41pm

eric12
Pro MemberThink For a Change

freestyl wrote:

I'm not looking for any sympathy here TREEMANWILL.  I can well afford to buy those hubs back and the current owner can well afford to give them back.  That's not the point here, he and I already talked about that.  I'm just trying to understand the mentality behind the shift in thinking within our society from doing the right thing, a moral obligation if you will, to the anything can be justified mindset that now exists.  As for shaming the owner, I think you should be ashamed for having someone stolens items in your collection, but thats just me and the others guys Grandpa on the first page. If you paid for said items or not, that is irrelevant, they don't belong to you.  I won't apologize for that.

Based upon what I've read here, if collector A goes to an OS show and steals a nice bike, then a time later collector A sells that bike to collector B, collector B now has nothing to worry about, because he didn't steal it in the first place and since he paid good hard earned money for it, he is in the clear.  As for the guy who guy his bike jacked, he is out of luck, unless he wants to pay whatever price collector B payed to get it.  If that is really how the majority of people on this board feel, wow is all I can say.

I have to agree with you 100%.

Being an adult is the dumbest thing I've ever done.

A Redline, the fastest way between two points.

Just Do It!

I can't fix stupid.

#93 2015-04-16 12:44pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 74

jpxup wrote:

Again., dig deep and ask, when we buy something from someone, knowing that we are making a killing, is that right?......we knowingly ripped someone off.., are we as honest as we think?

if they seller name/ set the asking price. then I pay there asking price. while knowing I could sell it for more $$ any time soon. you bet I will buy it.

but would I try to get it for less than asking nope just pay and go before he rethinks it!

there's nothing that states I must inform seller he could get more $$ !

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#94 2015-04-16 12:46pm

wvbmxer420
Pro Member
Bikes: 27

if the current owner of the hubs bought them from the original thief then obviously both the current owner and the original owner know who the thief is. why is no one going after the thief for the money. if you know who the thief is that stole them in the first place and sold them to the current owner I would think that woody and the current owner should be going after the thief instead of each other. that seems like it would be a lot more productive in solving this problem for both parties.

#95 2015-04-16 12:48pm

DIPSOMANIAC
AdminALCOHOL YA LATER!
Bikes: 6
For Sale: 2

freestyl wrote:

OK.

I'm letting the liquor do most of the thinking.....

***If you sell here take a minute to update your buyer!***
***If you buy here have some patience, this isn't Amazon, it's a hobby to most.***

Board footer

View Cart →