You are not logged in.

When did brake-less start.  RSS Feed

#1 2015-02-24 7:52pm

lipskidomatic
Pro Memberairborne since 1979
Bikes: 1

When did brake-less start.

I remember Matt Hoffman on TV at the X-Games riding a brakeless bike, years ago.  When and what started this?  Sure it is an added level of difficulty, no bashing implied.

#2 2015-02-24 8:05pm

Ivan_Drago
Expert
Bikes: 8

Re: When did brake-less start.

Not really sure but I've adjusted to it very well smile

Him taunting his mortality, He's unnerved by sobriety

#3 2015-02-24 8:09pm

pnj
Expert

80's

Expanded in the 90's

There are no carpet queens in the woods

#4 2015-02-24 8:33pm

lipskidomatic
Pro Memberairborne since 1979
Bikes: 1

I am old, just see these videos of the new kids and I am dumbfounded. I couldn't do these tricks with brakes!  neutral

#5 2015-02-24 8:36pm

enthuziast
Museum Addict
Website

No brakes is the way to go:cool:

#6 2015-02-24 8:44pm

saskbmx
BMXer 4 Life

brakes for me thoe!

#7 2015-02-24 8:55pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 79
For Sale: 1

it was first done in the 70's. but that was because coaster brakes kinda sucked. yet most BMX at that time had no brake bridge on frame. to mount a caliper brake. so we ditched the coaster for no brakes. but it did not  really catch on as a ride style till 1989. that's how you showed you were hard core NO BRAKES by 2004 it had been bitten  by the hipster BMXer  who road BMX bikes because it's the in thing to do.roll now it's all the rage!smile

yet I am still real old school I ride with brakes.lol

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#8 2015-02-24 9:01pm

cmc
Pro Member

pnj wrote:

80's

Expanded in the 90's

Yep.

I don't remember people in the 80's, but I'm sure there were.  There was a flatland rider from San Antonio, Texas who got coverage in Freestylin at one of the AFA Masters comps and they mentioned him riding without brakes.  If I remember right, he was doing rolling tricks like elbow glides and hang 5's, so brakes weren't really that necessary.

In street riding, Troy McMurray in the Denver area and Mark Gonzales, Smoker Dave and "Ratboy" (in Arizona) helped make riding brakeless an actual "thing" in the late 90's. 

Michael Steingraber and Chase Gouin went brakeless in flatland in the mid/late 90's as well.  Chad Degroot did a brakeless run in Poor Boy 500 Miles, which I think would have been about 1994/1995.

http://bmx.transworld.net/features/the- … evolution/

http://www.sandmbikes.com/riders/troy-mcmurray/

Last edited by cmc (2015-02-24 9:02pm)

20", 22", 24", 26", and 700c !

#9 2015-02-24 9:02pm

KuWa FS
Pro MemberKuwahara Freestyler
Bikes: 7

For me, it started when my step dad was a dick and would not help me fix my brakes.
I was still to young and clueless to fix it myself so brakeless i went.
Still feel comfortable jumping on any BMX without brakes and rocking it today.

Last edited by KuWa FS (2015-02-24 9:02pm)

Well if you still don't believe you best get up and leave
Do what you must do, but this ain't the place for you

Kuwahara, its the best!!

When I'm dead, i'll stop riding bikes.

#10 2015-02-24 10:18pm

NVcali
Pro Member
Bikes: 2

I thought it started the day after someone did a nose stand with an ACS BOA...

Looking for a '79-'82 torker

#11 2015-02-24 10:24pm

KuWa FS
Pro MemberKuwahara Freestyler
Bikes: 7

cmc wrote:

pnj wrote:

80's

Expanded in the 90's

Yep.

I don't remember people in the 80's, but I'm sure there were.  There was a flatland rider from San Antonio, Texas who got coverage in Freestylin at one of the AFA Masters comps and they mentioned him riding without brakes.  If I remember right, he was doing rolling tricks like elbow glides and hang 5's, so brakes weren't really that necessary.

In street riding, Troy McMurray in the Denver area and Mark Gonzales, Smoker Dave and "Ratboy" (in Arizona) helped make riding brakeless an actual "thing" in the late 90's. 

Michael Steingraber and Chase Gouin went brakeless in flatland in the mid/late 90's as well.  Chad Degroot did a brakeless run in Poor Boy 500 Miles, which I think would have been about 1994/1995.

http://bmx.transworld.net/features/the- … evolution/

http://www.sandmbikes.com/riders/troy-mcmurray/

Good stuff cmc

Well if you still don't believe you best get up and leave
Do what you must do, but this ain't the place for you

Kuwahara, its the best!!

When I'm dead, i'll stop riding bikes.

#12 2015-02-25 2:26am

larsvegas43
Expert

Chase Gouin was riding brakeless way before Michael Steingräber. At least when it comes to flatland Chase is the originator of riding brakeless.

#13 2015-02-25 3:35am

D1976
Pro Member

Chase Gouin was the first pro level rider.  He started around '94, right after he fled the country. There were a few other guys a few years before pictured riding brakeless (Greg Guillote had a few great pictures in GO riding vert brakeless) but Chase was the first pro level guy to make it a permanent thing and make a point to learn EVERY trick brakeless. A few years later Troy McMurray saw Chase do a brakeless double decade (a real one, not the cheater way using your foot as a brake) and was inspired to try it on ramps and dirt himself.  Legend has him rolling into the dirt jumps at the Xgames doing 3 one handed 360s in a row down the steep course and flipping off the judges and live tv feed in the air, ESPN staff furious. All totally brakeless. Later Gonz and the Phoenix crew adopted it, as seen in the Ells Watson vid On The Down Low. Hoffman took his brakes off in 2000 or so, after a series of injuries he wanted to create a unique challenge for himself that no one riding pro level vert was doing at the time. Simon Tabron and a few others follwed shortly after. Since about 2004 I'd say almost no serious street riders and hardly any flatland riders under 25 ride brakes.

#14 2015-02-25 5:25am

rainmaker
Pro MemberLikes it Dirty
Bikes: 4

it hit my area in summer 88 same as grinding rails and curbs,it was a bike damaging and interesting summer.

#15 2015-02-25 5:39am

Knarly
Pro Member
Bikes: 21
For Sale: 3

For me it started for me in the early 80's when I converted my tuff's from coaster to freewheel and didn't have hand brakes for the bike yet. It lasted for about as long as it took to wear holes through the soles of my cheap shoes and my mom finding out ! lol back to coaster until I traded for some hand brakes.
I do recall getting my toes jammed between the  top of the forks and front tire a few times lol, I was glad to get some hand brakes big_smile

LOOKING FOR........   And or Trade items  very clean, mint condition
-Profile seat post decal
-Black Kuwahara Lightening bolt stem pad        -National Pro / Pro Neck handle bars, 28" wide
-Silver Kuwahara Lightening bolt stem pad        -Black set and Blue set of O wing grips

"WHEN IN DOUBT, CRANK IT !"

#16 2015-02-25 7:20am

80sFreestyleFan
Pro Member
Bikes: 6
Website

I am going with the mid 90's when the internet started taking off more. lol

That chit will buff out

#17 2015-02-25 7:56am

cmc
Pro Member

D1976 wrote:

Chase Gouin was the first pro level rider.  He started around '94, right after he fled the country. There were a few other guys a few years before pictured riding brakeless (Greg Guillote had a few great pictures in GO riding vert brakeless) but Chase was the first pro level guy to make it a permanent thing and make a point to learn EVERY trick brakeless. A few years later Troy McMurray saw Chase do a brakeless double decade (a real one, not the cheater way using your foot as a brake) and was inspired to try it on ramps and dirt himself.  Legend has him rolling into the dirt jumps at the Xgames doing 3 one handed 360s in a row down the steep course and flipping off the judges and live tv feed in the air, ESPN staff furious. All totally brakeless. Later Gonz and the Phoenix crew adopted it, as seen in the Ells Watson vid On The Down Low. Hoffman took his brakes off in 2000 or so, after a series of injuries he wanted to create a unique challenge for himself that no one riding pro level vert was doing at the time. Simon Tabron and a few others follwed shortly after. Since about 2004 I'd say almost no serious street riders and hardly any flatland riders under 25 ride brakes.

Yep.

And Gonz bombed a hill and ran into the side of a bus in the STANDARD euro tour video, 1999. http://bmxmdb.com/films/318-99-Euro-Tour 

Butcher and Edwin had a lot to do with street riding switching to brakeless.  Bunnyhop barspins on street are a lot cleaner if you don't to worry about catching the lever accidentally.  Plus, street riders who ride hard to have such messed up wheels that the brake pads are always rubbing.

Brakeless..... why?
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 82&p=1

#18 2015-02-25 7:57am

D1976
Pro Member

It's funny how things go in cycles.  When I started in the late 80's, one of the very first things you could tell about how serious someone was as a rider was how well their brakes worked. (the other was how hard they had their tires pumped up 100psi at least!) If they had frayed cables, loose brake pads, arms that barely reached the rims,and mushy weak braking, you knew before you even saw them ride that there was no way they were busting out decade combos or tailtap to nosepicks or even a Miami Hopper, they'd be lucky to land a lawnmower. It meant they weren't all that serious about riding and more likely than not just used the bike for transportation. Worse case would be the guy with the broken top gyro cable jutting out from the stem with the missing cable up front with two loose levers clanging around (chicago'ed bars, a rusted chain, and broken through grips down on the bend finished out this look in mine and many others' neighborhoods - smile  )   

On the other hand, when you ran into the guy with the chrome GT PFST (preferable with the Black/Chrome Haro Kneesavers) with the dialed 990s and Dia-Compe Nippons, perfectly level and balanced Gyro, smooth cables that didn't bind, and brakes that snapped back like a mousetrap after releasing the lever and grabbed chrome rims like disk brakes in a car -you knew that was also the guy who could probably bust out the double decades, cherrypickers, G-Turns, etc.

These days bikes are so easy to set up, how do people know who's hardcore or not?  smile

#19 2015-02-25 8:05am

cmc
Pro Member

larsvegas43 wrote:

Chase Gouin was riding brakeless way before Michael Steingräber. At least when it comes to flatland Chase is the originator of riding brakeless.

Yeah, you're right.  It looks like Herr Steingräber started around 2000.  http://www.23mag.com/gens/steingra.htm He lived in Austin for a while, and I would see him riding.  Forgot exactly when that was.

It sounds like Chase and Kevin Jones were both challenging themselves with brakeless. http://www.23mag.com/gens/gouin.htm  1990: 
"We'd [Chase and Kevin] be under a plaza awning in the rain at night and the trick was to do 100 double-brakeless-whiplashes in a row, and start over every time back to zero if one was missed... no matter if we were at 99. Another one we'd do was where we had to do no-brake-whiplashes 1-10 - like single, then double, then triple, etc., up to 10 or start over."

1994:  "Ells Bells, Ded video.
DED is all about arguably the finest flatlander in the world. Chase Paul Gouin. As you would expect from Chase, there's some completely unbelievable flatland riding on here. There are some long sections interspersed with interviews bits with Chase, odd moments, and CPG getting it on with the good times. There is one section where Chase is linking some incredibly hard stuff together, flowing and switching flawlessly through a whole pile of tricks, and then you suddenly realise that Chase has no brakes on his bike whatsoever."

Last edited by cmc (2015-02-25 8:20am)

#20 2015-02-25 8:19am

cmc
Pro Member

D1976 wrote:

It's funny how things go in cycles.  When I started in the late 80's, one of the very first things you could tell about how serious someone was as a rider was how well their brakes worked. (the other was how hard they had their tires pumped up 100psi at least!) If they had frayed cables, loose brake pads, arms that barely reached the rims,and mushy weak braking, you knew before you even saw them ride that there was no way they were busting out decade combos or tailtap to nosepicks or even a Miami Hopper, they'd be lucky to land a lawnmower. It meant they weren't all that serious about riding and more likely than not just used the bike for transportation. Worse case would be the guy with the broken top gyro cable jutting out from the stem with the missing cable up front with two loose levers clanging around (chicago'ed bars, a rusted chain, and broken through grips down on the bend finished out this look in mine and many others' neighborhoods - smile  )   

On the other hand, when you ran into the guy with the chrome GT PFST (preferable with the Black/Chrome Haro Kneesavers) with the dialed 990s and Dia-Compe Nippons, perfectly level and balanced Gyro, smooth cables that didn't bind, and brakes that snapped back like a mousetrap after releasing the lever and grabbed chrome rims like disk brakes in a car -you knew that was also the guy who could probably bust out the double decades, cherrypickers, G-Turns, etc.

These days bikes are so easy to set up, how do people know who's hardcore or not?  smile

Yep.  In high school, I managed to make my brakes work good enough to learn stuff.  We knew tricks like cleaning rims and pads with Windex, Simple Green etc., but I had never replaced cable housing.  Another trick was spraying Auto Belt Dressing (which is crazy sticky) on rims.  But, it wasn't until I was about 20, when I finally learned from some another flatlander about having truly dialed brakes.  Tech 77 levers, chrome plated rims, new cable housing filled with Tri-Flow, no kinks or weird bends in the housing, etc.

Most street riders and dirt jumpers tended to have awful brakes.  Remember the trend of cutting down S&M Slam bars narrower, then having to move the lever further down on the bend and bend the lever-arm out....  Not good for brake power.

Remember this?  big_smile 
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii133/pinto48s/DSC00004.jpg

Last edited by cmc (2015-02-25 8:24am)

#21 2015-02-25 8:24am

stonie
Pro MemberThe Museum Therapist
For Sale: 46
Website

Riding brakeless is just one of these recent fads.
I'm sure you all can figure out the other recent fad.    roll

Hopefully they both end soon.    wink

Gnarly is when it's beyond radical, it's balls out danger, & or perfection, & or skill or all of that combined. Nobody can shred like that guy, he's gnarly.                                        \m/  ( º . º )  \m/

#22 2015-02-25 8:48am

VWporschegt3
Mr. Cheap A$$

I think most of us have done it at some point. for me it was when I would bend a rear rim too bad to be trued.  brakes wouldn't work so brakeless it was until I could source a new rear rim. The brakeless fad seems to have started here back in about 2007..  I always felt out of control with no brakes so ... I tried to always have them.

Just trying to complete my STA...

#23 2015-02-25 8:58am

spyker
Pro MemberPimp In Training

stonie wrote:

Skinny jeans and slammed seats?

Sorry to say but all three are not fads in bmx.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!

#24 2015-02-25 9:17am

stonie
Pro MemberThe Museum Therapist
For Sale: 46
Website

spyker wrote:

stonie wrote:

No.
The other fad, dude's with purses.    roll

Gnarly is when it's beyond radical, it's balls out danger, & or perfection, & or skill or all of that combined. Nobody can shred like that guy, he's gnarly.                                        \m/  ( º . º )  \m/

#25 2015-02-25 9:19am

spyker
Pro MemberPimp In Training

stonie wrote:

spyker wrote:

stonie wrote:

No.
The other fad, dude's with purses.    roll

Do you carry a man purse?

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!

Board footer

View Cart →