You are not logged in.

Why is there no division between the original Hutch & JDB Repop stuff?  RSS Feed

#226 2019-02-25 2:24pm

Shazambmx
Pro Member$$$
Bikes: 6
For Sale: 5

Re: Why is there no division between the original Hutch & JDB Repop stuff?

How much were they when they were new. Can you walk into a store and buy them now?

THERES NO CRYING IN BMX......

Last edited by Shazambmx (2019-02-25 2:25pm)

Mikey.... Good Gorilla.

#227 2019-02-25 3:20pm

Hobbes12
AdminDon’t Be a Wussy!
Bikes: 37
For Sale: 2
Website

Shazambmx wrote:

How much were they when they were new. Can you walk into a store and buy them now?

*crybaby*

hobbes1278@gmail.com
Auburn Blue Max Dyno ELF Fit FA GT Haro Hawk Hutch JMC Mongoose National Pro Redline Roger DeCoster Schwinn SE WTP

#228 2019-02-25 3:44pm

crj1968
Pro MemberSlow Day 4 Me
Bikes: 19

spyker wrote:

crj1968 wrote:

I don't see the retro market really ruining the collector market.

Haro is re-popping "Vector/ Haro" bars for $100.  They look good, but real ones are bringing in more $ than ever.

Collectors will always want the "real thing" and will pay for it.  In my experience with cars (mopars) the repop market only makes the collectors look harder for the "real" thing and to prove that they have the real thing. (date stamps, numbers, nuance differences, inspection marks) not my thing, but whatever floats your boat.

Repops ruin the exclusivity of it more than anything.Of course the real thing will always bring in more money,but the rarity.

Word on the exclusivity... and yeah i guess it does kind of suck if you are a collector and have a rarely seen part and then they become available to everyone. I get it...
Hell you can buy a repop 69 Camaro, 70 challenger or mustang fastback body from dynacorn... crazy!

Last edited by crj1968 (2019-02-25 3:45pm)

#229 2019-02-25 3:59pm

justlive
Pro MemberRemember remember the 80's forever
Bikes: 10

crj1968 wrote:

spyker wrote:

crj1968 wrote:

I don't see the retro market really ruining the collector market.

Haro is re-popping "Vector/ Haro" bars for $100.  They look good, but real ones are bringing in more $ than ever.

Collectors will always want the "real thing" and will pay for it.  In my experience with cars (mopars) the repop market only makes the collectors look harder for the "real" thing and to prove that they have the real thing. (date stamps, numbers, nuance differences, inspection marks) not my thing, but whatever floats your boat.

Repops ruin the exclusivity of it more than anything.Of course the real thing will always bring in more money,but the rarity.

Word on the exclusivity... and yeah i guess it does kind of suck if you are a collector and have a rarely seen part and then they become available to everyone. I get it...
Hell you can buy a repop 69 Camaro, 70 challenger or mustang fastback body from dynacorn... crazy!

See that's just the point. A rare part will always be a rare part. A million repops will never change that. Just like a million 2019 Mustangs will never replace a numbers matching 1969 Mustang. The only thing hurting this hobby are the ones selling old school parts for ridiculous $$ and forcing people who either refuse to pay or can't afford to pay to buy the alternative, repop. But the ones who strictly want old school will always pay up. The only problem with all of this is that old school items don't flow as freely as they did 10/15yrs ago when prices were more down to earth. Instead you're seeing certain high priced items sitting for months.

-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

#230 2019-02-25 5:27pm

crj1968
Pro MemberSlow Day 4 Me

justlive wrote:

crj1968 wrote:

spyker wrote:

See that's just the point. A rare part will always be a rare part. A million repops will never change that. Just like a million 2019 Mustangs will never replace a numbers matching 1969 Mustang. The only thing hurting this hobby are the ones selling old school parts for ridiculous $$ and forcing people who either refuse to pay or can't afford to pay to buy the alternative, repop. But the ones who strictly want old school will always pay up. The only problem with all of this is that old school items don't flow as freely as they did 10/15yrs ago when prices were more down to earth. Instead you're seeing certain high priced items sitting for months.

I guess it all depends on if a guy is into it for bragging rights, collector value or just for the helluvit.

Those into it only for money is where it gets ugly....like a slimy used car dealer.

#231 2019-02-25 5:35pm

Schmittstix
Pro Member
Bikes: 8
For Sale: 3

Funny my buddy got a new 29" hutch  frame and fork and it is sweet. Now it's a hutch and I never cared for hutch, tho nostalgia then kicks  when he shows me the bike...
So i guess what I'm saying is i never liked hutch but his is a hutch and a nice bike, if it was a brand new awesome looking fit or Sunday, meh what ever. But cuz it's a hutch (new) i really like it. So the hutch name relates to me. The people holding on to stuff for name and nostalgia and I guess money, I think your time is running out.. my 2 centshttp://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/247515/123_10015c749864ee.jpeg

Last edited by Schmittstix (2019-02-25 5:37pm)

I hate chrome bikes.... I own a chrome om flyer hmm

#232 2019-02-25 5:49pm

Shazambmx
Pro Member$$$

Hobbes12 wrote:

Shazambmx wrote:

*crybaby*

I got some catnip for you!...lol
Catnip eating m@th#$ F#@$er!!!

Last edited by Shazambmx (2019-02-25 6:03pm)

Mikey.... Good Gorilla.

#233 2019-02-25 6:34pm

Shazambmx
Pro Member$$$

i'm purring right now!.....yikeslollollol

Mikey.... Good Gorilla.

#234 2019-02-25 9:56pm

crj1968
Pro MemberSlow Day 4 Me

Shazambmx wrote:

Hobbes12 wrote:

Shazambmx wrote:

*crybaby*

lol

#235 2019-02-25 10:02pm

Hobbes12
AdminDon’t Be a Wussy!
Bikes: 37
For Sale: 2
Website

crj1968 wrote:

Shazambmx wrote:

Hobbes12 wrote:

*crybaby*

lol

*meow*

hobbes1278@gmail.com
Auburn Blue Max Dyno ELF Fit FA GT Haro Hawk Hutch JMC Mongoose National Pro Redline Roger DeCoster Schwinn SE WTP

#236 2019-02-25 10:50pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 74

DutchRipper wrote:

I take the top one over the OG any day of the week! big_smile

Ya bought your a race guy . i'm freestyle I want the Trick star!tongue

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#237 2019-02-26 2:50am

Shazambmx
Pro Member$$$

Hobbes12 wrote:

crj1968 wrote:

Shazambmx wrote:

lol

*meow*

lollol

Last edited by Shazambmx (2019-02-26 2:57am)

Mikey.... Good Gorilla.

#238 2019-02-26 2:52am

Shazambmx
Pro Member$$$

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

DutchRipper wrote:

I take the top one over the OG any day of the week! big_smile

Ya bought your a race guy . i'm freestyle I want the Trick star!tongue

For real! Bmxcynthia got the dope new 24 and the fresh old school TrickStar...
Best of both worlds! Nice rides!
cool

Last edited by Shazambmx (2019-02-26 2:58am)

Mikey.... Good Gorilla.

#239 2019-02-26 5:49am

ryan71
Pro Member
Bikes: 7

justlive wrote:

crj1968 wrote:

spyker wrote:

I think this nails it! I have a new XL24 and as much as I kind of wanted to not like it, it's a great ride. New tech, new geo old look, works for me. I'm not trying to pass any new stuff off as original I just enjoy riding. I love the nostalgia factor of the retros. The only old school bike I still ride from my old stuff is an FreeAgent 24, that thing is still a beast. I overlooked them bitd but high and sight one of the best bikes!

Looking a set of Tioga Monoblock pedals. Also looking for a UFO Pro 24.

#240 2019-02-26 6:30am

Shazambmx
Pro Member$$$

ryan71 wrote:

justlive wrote:

crj1968 wrote:

I think this nails it! I have a new XL24 and as much as I kind of wanted to not like it, it's a great ride. New tech, new geo old look, works for me. I'm not trying to pass any new stuff off as original I just enjoy riding. I love the nostalgia factor of the retros. The only old school bike I still ride from my old stuff is an FreeAgent 24, that thing is still a beast. I overlooked them bitd but high and sight one of the best bikes!

Nothing against repops or remakes....
Sh!t, I would be satisfied if they made a mark somewhere you couldn't see when mounted just so you KNOW its repop when buying or selling for the life of the part.I Don't care if they look exactly identical to the real ones when mounted. It has nothing to do with exclusivity.
I could care less if they repopped every single part and piece there is just that there should be some way to identify it. A stamp where it can't be seen when mounted so we ALL KNOW what we are buying and selling. That's all I am trying to say. Repop away!
And I am not talking about the new hutch vs. old hutch thing just repops in general.

Last edited by Shazambmx (2019-02-26 6:32am)

Mikey.... Good Gorilla.

#241 2019-06-30 2:49pm

MrD
Museum Newbie

+1, totally agree with that sentiment.

Ok so JDB has made a physical difference on the Pedals (inc cages) & Grips - But does anyone know the differences between the OG Deep H & The new JDB one?

Thanks

#242 2019-06-30 3:08pm

spyker
Pro MemberDr. of Thuganonics

MrD wrote:

+1, totally agree with that sentiment.

Ok so JDB has made a physical difference on the Pedals (inc cages) & Grips - But does anyone know the differences between the OG Deep H & The new JDB one?

Thanks

Ya one looks brand spanking new with perfect maching and the other looks old 30 year old stem.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
Lying cheating untrustworthy scamming livestock screwing ugly crater face racist snitch!

#243 2019-06-30 4:29pm

brettweir89
Pro MemberROA DAE O
Bikes: 3
For Sale: 6

MrD bringing it back from the dead!

I never did understand the drama around John and Hutch. BITD, the Company didn't keep up with changing trends, was sold to another owner, failed, then the family who was so protective yet did nothing for 2 decades, then a guy passionate about the brand buys Hutch, brings it back, makes quality items that honor the past but take advantage of modern technology.

IMHO if anyone is going to get into anything collectible, whether that's BMX, sports cards, comics, Hot Wheels, whatever, they have a personal responsibility to educate themselves as well. Even a cursory 5 minutes on here or the interwebs would easily tell the overall timeline for the Hutch brand. From a business perspective, he owns the rights and can call a frame the Pro Racer or Trickstar all day long, and that's what they are from a trademark perspective. Anyone who would get confused and thinking they have some collectible is naive. The owner shouldn't have to put some special mark "scarlet letter" on the products designating them as repros or fakes, which they are not. That's punishing the guy who bought the brand. If its that upsetting, maybe the outraged could have did it better and bought the brand themselves, it sat there for about 26 years...

Last edited by brettweir89 (2019-06-30 4:43pm)

So long as the paperwork is clean, you boys can do what you like out there. -Fifi McAffee (MFP)

#244 2019-06-30 5:04pm

WalkerInTN
Pro Member

I'd note that this topic is 5 years old & while it may have been different when it was started, ALL the SE Racing bikes, old & new, are in the same section these days.  I don't see the problem here.

Was never really into Hutch but would buy one of the JDB bikes before a lot of newer stuff out there that I don't relate to.

"That's no moon, it's a space station."

#245 2019-06-30 5:18pm

Bmx Cynthia
Pro Memberthebigg36
Bikes: 1

Sometimes you want a Hutch with modern mechanicals. I love me some vintage Hutch, but I live and ride in the here and now.
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/206888/img_71115d19512ee6.jpg

#246 2019-07-01 6:10pm

CruiserGuy
Pro MemberRust, dirt, dents and scratches are not patina…
For Sale: 1

This thread is damn near 5 years old. WTF???

WANTED: 80s HUTCH GRIPS & RARE 80s HUTCH USA ITEMS, AEROSPEEDS 1st/2nd gen Pads etc. Nice Yellow Label or Blue/Green Label Comp II or III Tires 20/24 Black.

[img]http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/42422/cgh596d962c4a.gif[/img]

Board footer

View Cart →