You are not logged in.

My Take on this lovely hobby of ours!

#26 2008-06-10 11:13am

I am the owl...
Pro MemberSinner
Bikes: 7

Re: My Take on this lovely hobby of ours!

I have to add something else here. While I agree with a lot Jon has to say about this, I also see what he doesnt. The fact is, we are all here because of our love of bmx, plain and simple. One persons opinion of how this hobby should be, isnt necessarily the right way. As for the repop thing, so since I dont have $600 to shell out for Profile box cranks, I dont deserve any? Because I choose to use the majority of my money for my family, and everything that entails, I dont deserve cool things? Its easy for the ppl that spend their money on big ticket items to say "if you cant afford it, get another hobby". I find that elitist attitude, not only ridiculous, but very disgusting to say the least. I dont WANT $3000 carpet queens. I want cool bikes. Bikes I like. If I can build them OG I will, but thats not the be all, end all for me. Maybe we can all just agree we all have different reasons for having these bikes, and leave it at that. Because no ones opinions are right or wrong. Lets just all be glad that we are all pulling these bikes out of the trash, and keeping the history alive, in whatever aspect we each choose. And Jon, with all due respect, there ISNT just a 1 or 2.

I love dead people....

#27 2008-06-10 11:19am

jakester720
Pro Member1%er
Bikes: 2

Post of the day Owl

The battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, water temperature is off the chart and I am running out of petrol...but the clock is correct.

"REJOICE, AS WE SHALL DEFEAT RACISM IN OUR LIFETIME" - Henry Rollins 1997

#28 2008-06-10 11:22am

OLDSKOOLPK
Pro Member
Bikes: 13

i will rephrase my opening line for ya Trevor tongue

there are 2 types of people on these sites......

I BUY ANYTHING OLD SCHOOL SE RACING! Framesets, stickers, bars, padsets, jerseys, helmets and etc!  Looking for Cheng Shin or Mitsuboshi 26 x 2.125/1.75 tires in black with skinwall. NOS or nice used.

#29 2008-06-10 11:22am

Brian P
BMXer 4 Life

jon, id like to know what set this thread off........

you must've seen something or heard something recently that got you too thinkin....

who/what was it?

[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1014/1465512652_fe977cc9d3_m.jpg[/img]

#30 2008-06-10 11:23am

I am the owl...
Pro MemberSinner

OLDSKOOLPK wrote:

i will rephrase my opening line for ya Trevor tongue

there are 2 types of people on these sites......

lol wink

I love dead people....

#31 2008-06-10 11:27am

osu411yamaha
Bikes: 3

To the author of the post. 

1.Youre wrong to even bitch about this. 
2.It may be new guys running up the prices, but not just the #2's on your list.  Its simple law of supply and demand.  Take an economics class.  In short.  When the supply goes down or the demand goes up the price will rise.  The laws of economics could give a crap less if its #1 or #2 decreasing the supply or increasing the demand.   
2. Bikes arent to look at. 
3.I could give a crap less if the guy im flying by at the track has reproduction or original stickers. 
4.Go to the track and quit your whining.  Again, bikes are to ride.  You fit #2 on your list in my mind.

Last edited by osu411yamaha (2008-06-10 11:36am)

#32 2008-06-10 11:35am

LoopDreamz
Expert

If I felt the need to start a thread like this I would probably just take a few weeks off and chill.  Doesn't sound like it's all that much fun for ya at this point.

#33 2008-06-10 11:44am

Johnny Wad
Centurion Member
Bikes: 5

OLDSKOOLPK-

I always admire your posts as you are always helpful, humble, and knowledgable. You never put anybody or anyone's bike down.

But, I think you are being hypocritical on this one.

You state that "...sometimes i think this is more of a competition then a hobby.  i spent $$$ on this bike, so mine is better than your bike...that crap is getting old..."

Then you state that one should not use repros and to take the time to find/buy them. So to get the non-repro, one will have to pay up to get it. You are essentially saying that because you held out for the original part (spending more), your bike is better than mine because I used repros.

Well, I have been chastised for using Helix stems on my bikes. Why?  I would love a OG NOS Tuf-Neck, but I do not want to pay $200 for it. I do not want to go overboard on spending too much on parts to impress someone on here. For instance, If someone wants to pay $500 on Hutch pedals, great. I hope they enjoy them. Just don't try to make yourself feel better about spending $500 on Hutch pedals by trying to make me look/feel bad because I did not and instead, chose VP beartrap for $20.

Ah forget it.... does not matter. Sorry i posted.

#34 2008-06-10 11:49am

OLDSKOOLPK
Pro Member

Brian P
   i think all the time about this hobby.  I love to hate this hobby and hate to love this hobby all at the same time.  Just like your signature says...drama free!!!!  i have made a few small changes in my "collecting ways" and also in my life.   I used to be surrounded, suffocated by this hobby.  Now i like to hang, race/cruise, chill and just go with the flow.  You know, i belong to many sites, all sites differ from each other. i feel that there is alot of bragging, down-grading on here....i got this, i spent this...etc.  Who cares!!! Its a bike!!!!  If you spent 150k on a Gremlin, does that make it worth 150k??  NOPE!!!!   I am gettin a little side tracked, so back to the topic.  Like i said (and re-phrased for Trevor)  there are 2 types of people (on these sites)   the guys who had the bikes (either collected b4 the internet was developed, or these bmx sites were developed) and then the guys who found the sites, then said "wow, i can build a bike" so they go out, spend $1,000's to "impress" us.....roll  then weeks, maybe months (if they can eat PB&J sandwiches for that long lol) you see the bike on the sites parted out, or on ebay.   why?  build the bikes for YOU....NOT US!!!!   Yes i will always give a great build props, and i also give the ones i actually don't like props too, why, because that person built it from their heart and posted it for all to see.

The ones who had the bikes b4 finding the sites are the roots of this hobby, the knowledge, without roots, things die, or things start to get ridiculous (like it is today)  This is not a hobby anymore i feel....i feel that it is a business, people making repops, buying trademarks to repop old stuff, the list goes on. I guess im just one sided with this.... i like original stuff, weather it be bikes, toys, cars even chicks (i like a natural chick, not a plastic one) 

wheres my step stool...i want to get off my soap box!!!!  lol

I BUY ANYTHING OLD SCHOOL SE RACING! Framesets, stickers, bars, padsets, jerseys, helmets and etc!  Looking for Cheng Shin or Mitsuboshi 26 x 2.125/1.75 tires in black with skinwall. NOS or nice used.

#35 2008-06-10 11:53am

I am the owl...
Pro MemberSinner

Jon, like I said, I agree with most of what you said, and can TOTALLY understand where yer comin from. But at the same time, this eventually comes back to cars. So should there be no repop Camaro, or 50s Chev parts then? How has the re-manufacturing of these parts by other vendors hurt the originals price? Fact is, it doesnt. These repop parts simply fill a need, and do so admirably. How are bike parts ANY different?

I love dead people....

#36 2008-06-10 11:54am

1badtrain
Intermediate
Bikes: 1

OLDSKOOLPK wrote:

Im not asking what number you are.....  for real there are 2 types, not 3 or 4 or 10.

sometimes i think this is more of a competition then a hobby.  i spent $$$ on this bike, so mine is better than your bike...that crap is getting old.  i like that this hobby as sort of made a small turn to survivors are the way to go, yes some have held the torch for survivors since day one, but still most like to over polish, bling bling there stuff out.

I have to disagree. I don't feel you can say you're a either a 1 or a 2. I don't think I'm close to either one of your options, that's why I said I'm a #3. And with regards to repop or "bling bling" I think it's a matter of personal opinion.

Last edited by 1badtrain (2008-06-10 12:02pm)

#37 2008-06-10 11:58am

djd93306
Vet Pro
Bikes: 34

You just said that you dont like how its become bragging over who has the most valuable bike yet your recent pm says otherwise. You bragged about your bikes while at the same time dumping on alot of other bikes.

Last edited by djd93306 (2008-06-11 11:41am)

Can you ever really have enough GT's?

#38 2008-06-10 12:03pm

OLDSKOOLPK
Pro Member

I posted this for peoples opinion guys, not to get bashed!!! i understand i started this topic with MY opinion, opinions are like A-holes, everyone has one, so take my opinion, love it/hate it and then drop yours please.
  big_smile
osu411yamaha,
   how do i fit "my #2"?    please PM me with a explanation to that, i am dying to hear what you have to say.

Last edited by OLDSKOOLPK (2008-06-10 12:17pm)

#39 2008-06-10 12:03pm

BridgeCity

"Helix stems on my bikes. Why?  I would love a OG NOS Tuf-Neck, but I do not want to pay"

This is an interesting point in relation to everyone that knows bmx the first time around.

Some of it may be the "grass is greener" perception if you didn't experience this stuff the first time.  I did and can tell you that old stuff wasn't all it's now chalked up to be. regardless of what the ebay market dictates.

old square tufnecks, better than the single and double clamps that bent, slipped and cracked at the time....BUT they creaked and butchered your kneecaps on the short frames, and would wedge in your forks when you least desired the hassle.  I'd take a new helix neck any day over one of those items.

alloy 3 piece cranks. nothing better to display anodized colors, but they creaked, were super rubbery, and try taking off an arm if you didn't have the tool on hand.

flight 400's, not much better than alloy 3 piece. in fact, people at the track would snicker at them because you were a wannabe that couldn't afford "real" flights.  now everyone thinks they are the bomb....apparently those folks were never on the receiving end of ridicule.  (he he, you guessed it, i have been)  check out the flight II's for a product far superior to the early stuff.

you guys would all die to have authentic first gen cruiser star bars, right?  well I've got em. so danged rubbery you barely wanna bunnyhop.  fun to look at the ancient star wars sticker? yes. functional on a bike other than in a museum? no.  do i own repop star bars? yes. are they better than the original. by far.

so all that means is pretty much nothing other than it's fun on occasion to look at but it all depends on your priorities for what you wish to store around your house/garage/apartment.

#40 2008-06-10 12:05pm

deme
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 2
Website

I am the owl... wrote:

Lets just all be glad that we are all pulling these bikes out of the trash, and keeping the history alive, in whatever aspect we each choose.

Great statement. +1

I got into this hobby to ride the bikes I rode when I was young. So i can feel like I'm 12 again. I think thats what the majority of people here are in it for.

#41 2008-06-10 12:06pm

osu411yamaha
Bikes: 3

I dont see how you think there are only two categories of people on here.  Let me show you why....

I raced BMX all over the country when I was a kid.  I jsut recently got back into it.  I bought a general lee cruiser and went to the track.  Then I started building a race 20 inch.  Now im building a bike for the streets so I dont tear up my race bike jumping off ledges.  I was thinking about my old days of racing and my first 1993 Mach One.  A search of yahoo brought me to this site.

Now how in the hell am I possibly either number 1 or number 2?  You are a very narrow minded individual.  Once again.  Quit your whining and go ride your "bikes".  I promise...I wont ask you at the track if your stickers are originals or duplications.  I might tell you I like it.  I might not.  But if you show up with that narrow minded attitude......One thing I will say is..... Lets RACE!!!!!!!!

#42 2008-06-10 12:06pm

I am the owl...
Pro MemberSinner

ANYONE who knows Jon, knows hes not here to bash, so please keep yer answers respectful.

I love dead people....

#43 2008-06-10 12:16pm

OLDSKOOLPK
Pro Member

My recent PM to you djd93306 was my answer/defense to your post, stating that i was asking/looking for top dollar for my bikes when i posted my bikes for sale, instead of confronting you on the post and sidetracking it more, i PM'd ya. You never did answer me roll...you instead just posted what i sent you in a "private" message for all to see.....i see your not too good at keeping stuff private...ill remember that for next time.

#44 2008-06-10 12:18pm

I am the owl...
Pro MemberSinner

Ya...thats lame...PMs are private for a reason..

I love dead people....

#45 2008-06-10 12:21pm

djd93306
Vet Pro
Bikes: 34

I did send you a reply and it does show up in my messages as sent and as for me posting that it was simply cause you continued to state the same things in your posts. As for how far off topic this is I dont know your post sshows your disatisfaction of the competion in this game.

Can you ever really have enough GT's?

#46 2008-06-10 12:21pm

OLDSKOOLPK
Pro Member

osu411yamaha,
  you still didn't answer my question man.   i didn't ask your life story, i asked why I, ME, OLDSKOOLPK, JON, aka Wee Man fit #2.

#47 2008-06-10 12:22pm

I am the owl...
Pro MemberSinner

Goes to show how quickly a topic can go downhill......roll

I love dead people....

#48 2008-06-10 12:26pm

blastfromthepast
Intermediate
Bikes: 2

I'm definately a #3 becaause the only reason I have gotten back into this great world after 15ish years is because it brings back great memories and BMX/freestyle bikes were a major part of the good memories from my childhood.

I don't care if someone wants to build unridden show bikes, more power to them. Hopefully I'm in a financial spot someday to be able to do that with a few select bikest that I have in mind myself.

For now, I'm working on a bike that I always wanted when I was a kid but my folks couldn't afford. (smart for them anyway cause I probably just would have gotten it stolen like my other bikes that they did buy for me) lol

I'm not working on the bike to make profit or be the "big kid" on the block, please, most people that don't know whats up look at me like I'm retarded when I get all giddy talking about my bike. I don't care even a little bit, it actually makes it more fun because the ones who know, know and you can totally tell someone who really gets it and someone who doesn't.

I don't have a lot of knowledge in regards to much of anything in this hobby because when I was a kid we didn't care if our bike was made in Taiwan or USA, only if it was cool and got us down to the ditches to ride up and down all day. Or got us out to the homegrown MX tracks in the desert to ride on. It was about the ride and if you scored a sweet part for your ride, awesome!! If your buddy showed up with a Haro one day, he got big props and lots of requests to take a ride on it. It was about the fun of it, not ego trips.

And that is how it remains today.

Not looking to sell, not looking to ego trip, so yep, I'm a strong #3. Sorry to burst your bubble Oldskool PK but there are folks out there who don't fit into your 2 narrow pigeon holes. smile

Last edited by blastfromthepast (2008-06-10 12:39pm)

#49 2008-06-10 12:26pm

OLDSKOOLPK
Pro Member

djd93306 wrote:

As for how far off topic this is I dont know your post sshows your disatisfaction of the competion in this game.

huh?  what does this mean or what did you mean to get across with this statement?

#50 2008-06-10 12:27pm

jkraig
Pro MemberLive Love Sleep BMX
Bikes: 84
For Sale: 2

I am the owl... wrote:

I have to add something else here. While I agree with a lot Jon has to say about this, I also see what he doesnt. The fact is, we are all here because of our love of bmx, plain and simple. One persons opinion of how this hobby should be, isnt necessarily the right way. As for the repop thing, so since I dont have $600 to shell out for Profile box cranks, I dont deserve any? Because I choose to use the majority of my money for my family, and everything that entails, I dont deserve cool things? Its easy for the ppl that spend their money on big ticket items to say "if you cant afford it, get another hobby". I find that elitist attitude, not only ridiculous, but very disgusting to say the least. I dont WANT $3000 carpet queens. I want cool bikes. Bikes I like. If I can build them OG I will, but thats not the be all, end all for me. Maybe we can all just agree we all have different reasons for having these bikes, and leave it at that. Because no ones opinions are right or wrong. Lets just all be glad that we are all pulling these bikes out of the trash, and keeping the history alive, in whatever aspect we each choose. And Jon, with all due respect, there ISNT just a 1 or 2.

+1

Wanted: OURY grip jersey patch

****  Friends don't let friends ride Moosegoose's ****

Board footer