You are not logged in.

My Take on this lovely hobby of ours!

#1 2008-06-10 7:37am

OLDSKOOLPK
Pro Member
Bikes: 13

My Take on this lovely hobby of ours!

I hate sounding like a broken record, but there are two types of people in this hobby.

#1) had/have the bikes then found the sites, these are the knowledgeable people, the die hards, the guys who have been around 5+ years and MORE, these guys are the roots to this hobby, our encyclopedia of knowledge.

#2) people who found the sites, saw what was "expensive, drool worthy, what everyone else is collecting" then spent alot on bike builds/parts to look cool, to be "looked up to" only to fade away and leave the hobby.

All this repro this, fake this, my bikes better than yours, i spent this much (but will probably sell it later to pay the car payment or mortgage, but i looked cool for the time i had it) is pushing the die hards away!!!  This was a small tight nit hobby, then more #2's came into it and these are the people who are killing this hobby, raising the prices, making the repros ok to use, because they don't have the knowledge, patience to find the real stuff.   I am in this hobby for fun, i enjoy building the bikes, meeting new friends.  I could careless about aerospeeds, it a ego thing....oh, you have aerospeeds can i suck your....... 

i can name at least 5 people are what i consider #2 people.   ego trips, i spent this much, i have these, im cool, your not...... get a life, or grab a bike and go for a ride!

whats your take on this hobby???

I BUY ANYTHING OLD SCHOOL SE RACING! Framesets, stickers, bars, padsets, jerseys, helmets and etc!  Looking for Cheng Shin or Mitsuboshi 26 x 2.125/1.75 tires in black with skinwall. NOS or nice used.

#2 2008-06-10 7:49am

polanco
BMXer 4 Life

Re: My Take on this lovely hobby of ours!

just as yours,aerospeeds sucked bitd,thats why theyre rare,nobody stocked them,as well as some other rare parts,they're rare,because noone used them due to manufacturing or design defects,quite frankly,Ive been collecting bikes since late 1990,and never even knew there was somebody else into that until about 1 1/2,2 years ago,when a riding buddy,who knew I had all those bikes at home,told me that there was this website with bikes"just like that blue one you have"to quote his words,lol.Ill still be riding/collecting by myself if he hadnt told me,and am sure glad I found this site,Ive met some wonderful friends,and enjoy it very much,it has become THE hobby in itself,but,Ill still be here,even after the glaciers meltdown!

#3 2008-06-10 7:51am

OLDSKOOLPK
Pro Member

good post Polanco!!!!   wish i rode up with Matt (chromey) to meet ya this past weekend!!!!!

I BUY ANYTHING OLD SCHOOL SE RACING! Framesets, stickers, bars, padsets, jerseys, helmets and etc!  Looking for Cheng Shin or Mitsuboshi 26 x 2.125/1.75 tires in black with skinwall. NOS or nice used.

#4 2008-06-10 7:52am

I am the owl...
Pro MemberSinner
Bikes: 7

I mostly agree Jon. My only difference, is that I have no problems with certain repros, as long as you can tell that they ARE a repro, you know, being marked as such. But this angle can be argued to death. Ive been in the hobby for a little over 7 years now, and altho im sure in time, I wont be around as much as I have been, ill never truely be gone. Ive met too many good people.

I love dead people....

#5 2008-06-10 7:53am

OLDSKOOLPK
Pro Member

i hear ya Trevor, but this is a hobby of collecting Vintage bmx parts, not collecting repro BMX parts!!!!  tongue

#6 2008-06-10 7:57am

sunbrn
Intermediate
Bikes: 3
Website

I say you should be in it for yourself for your own enjoyment. If you can afford the expensive and rare parts then great. If you can't then get what you can afford and be happy with it.
This hobby is no different than the vintage Volkswagen world.
Getting mad and getting out of a hobby because of what a bunch of people you don't really know much less have even seen in real life is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

(added) oh yea,
For the people that complain about the high prices from some sellers, They wouldn't be there if there wasn't a buyer.

Last edited by sunbrn (2008-06-10 8:03am)

#7 2008-06-10 7:59am

Clothespin 'n
Museum Addict
Bikes: 3

First I am a rider
Second I am a Builder / collector
Third I am a seller.

and , on that note, I always end up selling or trading for less than I paid for items....so, I am definatly not a seller big_smile

I like to Trade and keep myself "out there", so I can make friends and connections that build with time.

that way, when I need a part / piece, I hit up  a friend, and we Trade.

===============================================

This site, and the internet, only help in meeting people from all over the world, that Love the same stuff I do.

I still stop at every Garage Sale...and shake hands  big_smile

Pho Shizzle

#8 2008-06-10 8:01am

Ray
Pro MemberGrape Ape
Bikes: 20
Website

their are all types but the fly by knight ones are just that they will fade away. and make room for others. I have only been collecting for a year now and have come up with some nice stuff that I my self found most of. I am not into paying high prices for parts. I would rather find the stuff myself. it is most of the fun in this hobbie if you ask me. I have met some nice people along the way and some not so nice.  I did sell off alot of the freestyle stuff I found but at a price that was more then fair.  meaning way less then Ebay pricing. and have sent  many an item for free to help someone out. I on the other hand will not part with my race stuff unless I am getting more race stuff in trade. here is my theory money is way easier to come buy then NOS or rare parts. so I would rather trade then sell.

!!!!!!!!!!!WANTED 20" LittleJohn forks in  chrome  !!!!!!

common sense is not that common any more

#9 2008-06-10 8:01am

I am the owl...
Pro MemberSinner
Bikes: 7

OLDSKOOLPK wrote:

i hear ya Trevor, but this is a hobby of collecting Vintage bmx parts, not collecting repro BMX parts!!!!  tongue

I disagree, this hobby is about bikes PERIOD. I choose to ride mine. Im not here, never have been, never will be, to have a collection of carpet queens. wink

I love dead people....

#10 2008-06-10 8:07am

OLDSKOOLPK
Pro Member

sunbrn,
    you have to understand (and maybe re-read #1 and #2) to get my jist.   People are passionate about this stuff.  it just not a bike to some people.  the VW hobby is alot bigger than this bmx stuff, so i wouldn't compare them, maybe they have some stuff in common (repro stuff...etc)

On the other hand, some people just want to build a bike to get a slap on the back, become a "legend", get a ego that is so big that you can't stand in the same room as them.  I build my bikes for me, not you, not the sites...ME!   i search high and low for parts to finish my bikes.  some take months,years to perfect.  why take a short cut?????

#11 2008-06-10 8:08am

NBKA-SENSEI
Museum Addict
Bikes: 11
Website

I have always loved bikes, always.
this is and always be a passion of mine.
I race, I ride street, I flatland (kinda. LOL) and I collect.
I have 4 prototype frames and a bunch of rare stuff. I sell to buy more....lol

F-DIBS in 2009,2010   Sensei~ 

I Vote to abolish the Dibs Factor on the Museum Forever!
Just say NO to Dibs.

#12 2008-06-10 8:11am

OLDSKOOLPK
Pro Member

i am loving the feedback guys!!!!!!!!

#13 2008-06-10 8:14am

polanco
BMXer 4 Life

+ 1 with trev and kev,and sensei,it's all about the love for bikes and riding,that's all!

#14 2008-06-10 8:25am

1badtrain
Intermediate
Bikes: 1

I think i'm #3, the person who used to ride back in the early to mid 80's who misses everything about those years.

I went to a motorcycle swapmeet a few years back and saw about five bikes that I remembered from BITD and I couldn't believe how nice they looked! I did a little searching, but eventualy kind of forgot about it since I was into building up Harley's at the time.

Around the first part of this year I wasn't doing much and started diong some research, and here I am 5 bikes later!

People  ask me why they have not seen me around lately, and I tell them I have been building old school BMX bikes. The first question they ask me is, "what do you do with them, sell them?" I say no, keep them!

I do this because reminds me of some of the best times of my life. I have a little more money than patience so i tend to pay a little more for stuff to get it done now. I'm not out to make money, I just enjoy building things. I am actually on my 8th bike if you include the ones I built for my friends.

Oh, and I ride all my bikes no matter how much money I have in them. As soon as I finish my Pro Racer i'll start submitting my bikes to the Museum!

#15 2008-06-10 9:07am

BridgeCity

I'll tell you the 2 things that almost drove me away from bmx bikes the last couple of years.

1-explaining to the wife exactly how I pulled ligiments in my ankle while re-learning 360s, which kept me from walking for over a month.

2-explaining to the wife exactly why half my rear was a dark black bruise when all i said all i was doing was going for a bike ride.     

wink

#16 2008-06-10 9:18am

crowebomber
Intermediate

1badtrain wrote:

I think i'm #3, the person who used to ride back in the early to mid 80's who misses everything about those years.

I went to a motorcycle swapmeet a few years back and saw about five bikes that I remembered from BITD and I couldn't believe how nice they looked! I did a little searching, but eventualy kind of forgot about it since I was into building up Harley's at the time.

Around the first part of this year I wasn't doing much and started diong some research, and here I am 5 bikes later!

People  ask me why they have not seen me around lately, and I tell them I have been building old school BMX bikes. The first question they ask me is, "what do you do with them, sell them?" I say no, keep them!

I do this because reminds me of some of the best times of my life. I have a little more money than patience so i tend to pay a little more for stuff to get it done now. I'm not out to make money, I just enjoy building things. I am actually on my 8th bike if you include the ones I built for my friends.

Oh, and I ride all my bikes no matter how much money I have in them. As soon as I finish my Pro Racer i'll start submitting my bikes to the Museum!

Your #3 definitely has to be added. I'm in the same boat. I am doing my first couple of builds with a buddy of mine who I rode with almost 25 years ago when we were kids. We can both afford to do a lot of different, much more expensive hobbies, but this gets us remembering those carefree days of our youth. Plus, building the bikes is a nice project that doesn't have a time table like my other projects. I can sit down and scrub my dirty, 30 year old, Tuff 1s for 30 minutes, then hang them back in the garage and not pick them up for another two weeks when I have another window of me time. We're roping a couple of other old friends into it too.

Chrome is my favorite color.

#17 2008-06-10 9:19am

NBKA-SENSEI
Museum Addict
Bikes: 11
Website

BridgeCity wrote:

I'll tell you the 2 things that almost drove me away from bmx bikes the last couple of years.

1-explaining to the wife exactly how I pulled ligiments in my ankle while re-learning 360s, which kept me from walking for over a month.

2-explaining to the wife exactly why half my rear was a dark black bruise when all i said all i was doing was going for a bike ride.     

wink

LOL, yep.
I came home two weeks ago (from the races.) all F'ed up.
I was almost grounded at 39yrs old by my wife......

F-DIBS in 2009,2010   Sensei~ 

I Vote to abolish the Dibs Factor on the Museum Forever!
Just say NO to Dibs.

#18 2008-06-10 9:19am

skinnygmg
Pro MemberVet Pro
Bikes: 10
Website

i have no love for repro's.  i will use new production tri's or comp 3's on a rider, but that's about it.  as for the rest of the parts, buy the right ones, and use them on your rider.  you're only here once.

#19 2008-06-10 9:33am

OLDSKOOLPK
Pro Member

Im not asking what number you are.....  for real there are 2 types, not 3 or 4 or 10.

sometimes i think this is more of a competition then a hobby.  i spent $$$ on this bike, so mine is better than your bike...that crap is getting old.  i like that this hobby as sort of made a small turn to survivors are the way to go, yes some have held the torch for survivors since day one, but still most like to over polish, bling bling there stuff out.

#20 2008-06-10 9:41am

Brian P
BMXer 4 Life

interesting thread jon.......

[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1014/1465512652_fe977cc9d3_m.jpg[/img]

#21 2008-06-10 9:47am

Mr. Fit
formerly known as "sh1tfit"
Bikes: 2

To each his own.
I'm a #2. Strictly in it for $ $$ $.

now post a bike in the museum.

Steel is Real!

#22 2008-06-10 10:02am

oldmetal
Pro Member*Thread Killer-And Proud*

I've stuck to just 2 bikes though I do feel tempted to branch out.
I have no problems with anyone who has 100 bikes, I only wish I had the money (and space).

I like a good rant, but for my comments please bear in mind that I do realise a lot of people are too busy riding bikes to get as obsessed by the details and trivialities that I find fascinating:

I see classic bikes traded back and forth without any more detail in the descriptions than the manufacturer, model and price - if it was me I'd try to impart a bit more information if only for interest's sake.

Where I do think it gets a bit silly:
On some bicycle sites (not just BMX) I've seen people buying very expensive bikes and posting pics to show what they 'own' before they even receive them, then advertising them for sale again a few days later, still not even having held the bike in their own hands! Usually because they've spotted an even more desirable bike for sale elsewhere. Possibly they're just working their way up the ladder to their holy grail, but I think it can also be about bragging rights. This is an even more common phenomenon if you follow the vintage guitar/guitar effects collecting hobbies.

Regarding the 'Aerospeeds Club' it was refreshing to see someone recently listing the points to look out for between real and fake sets, previously this info seems to have been divulged on a need to know basis as if it was state security secrets. They're 25 year old bicycle cranks.

I'm happy to admit I have a few repro parts (because I want to use them, and I can't afford to buy the originals even though I had them in the 80's). Am I annoyed I can't afford them? No, not at all as I know riding a bike is the most important thing and what type and year a bike is doesn't matter. Once an item goes over a certain price on Ebay it loses its appeal to me, if it's not a bargain then I feel I'd be better investing in something more practical.

#23 2008-06-10 10:09am

OLDSKOOLPK
Pro Member

you asking me to post a bike in the museum shitfit????

#24 2008-06-10 10:16am

djd93306
Vet Pro
Bikes: 34

Ive resold some bikes that would make me a #2. But Ive been in bikes alot more then a few years so im a #1 2and #3.In fact I think I remember this threadstarter trying to get TOP $$ for some bikes please correct me if im wrong(Profile,Phase 1, others)when money was needed. I wouldnt sell a bike if it isnt going to be worth my while. I like to build even though I have all my riders ill need, I guess I shouldnt build if I dont need it??

Last edited by djd93306 (2008-06-10 10:59am)

Can you ever really have enough GT's?

#25 2008-06-10 10:36am

OTHERVOICEZ
Pro Member

I ride all my stuff
I sell some stuff but im not into making $$$ off it
but I want to use what $ I can get to buy other stuff for my bikes

I ride a haro master that has paint chips
  and a gt that has a little bit of tarnish near the seat tube
but like I said I ride them had them back in the day or wanted them
    bitd I had a performer then a slammer years later so I did not have a arsanal

some of the builds here I really like but I just cant bring myself to get the stuff I should not
be trying to buy due to the fact I cant afford them  - group 1 cranks smile  power series cranks ect...

Im sure most of you have seen my riding pics
I try to have a nice clean bike but they are all far from mint
          and were all built on a budget
      I have been a rider - not the best though for as long as I remember
               I even liked to have good parts bitd but never stressed
                if I had the best of the best
              there are limitations in this world
                      I have lots of them sad

We have probably met at some bike event.

BLACK WIDOWS   DE4L
Follow Me on Instagram #Scottakist

Board footer