Thinking about selling it all  RSS Feed

#26 2014-09-08 9:22am

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member“The Hammer”
Bikes: 79
For Sale: 6
Website

Re: Thinking about selling it all

I sold everything a month ago. It felt great and I had no regrets. I was bike free for neary a month and then I scored my cruiser the other day, which I will inevitably sell or trade once the novelty wears off. I love the hunt the most anyway. Having the bikes doesn't really matter to me as at some point they just end up sitting. If that's the case why not pass them on to someone who will love them?

"Google is aiding the Communist Chinese military in asserting global domination and the defeat of America..."

#27 2014-09-08 9:42am

GooseGuy96
Intermediate
Bikes: 1

UpisDown wrote:

It's funny when I see these posts, it makes me ride the two bikes I have and not go nuts buying all my grails. The wife actually told me get whatever you want-cost doesn't matter-and I won't pull the trigger. I think its just the thought of not riding what I have and just looking at it- I can't stare at something I want and not use it. JMC 24"- it's gettin' jumped. Nomura 24"- it's gettin' jumped. Kappa 24"- its gettin' jumped.
No carpet queens ever.

Word.

#28 2014-09-08 9:47am

troynlori
Moderator"Pedal Peddler"
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 112

Keep the bikes, buy the 996.

I'm not going to be able to ship until about Friday this week.....Friday the 13th....oh no!

Hutch Fun Facts: All main line Hutch's with digits only S/N (no letters or baseballs) on the rear drop outs were US made and had their dropouts stamped between late '83 and '86.  Obviously the frame manufacture would occur slightly after that, even if they just threw 'em in a bucket randomly.  There is an obvious date code in that the first 2 digits seem to be the month and the 3rd digit is pretty obviously the last digit of the year running from '83-'86.

#29 2014-09-08 9:47am

Intermediate

...feeling this way about my nearly finished '61 VW bus I've had for over 22 years...

#30 2014-09-08 10:05am

Advan
Pro MemberHey Santa, you geriatric wanker...where's my bike?
Bikes: 34
For Sale: 2

I still have my 1967 Camaro that I bought used, beat to hell, back in 1988.  Finished restoring it in 1995.  Got bit by the bike bug in 2004, and wound up with 62 completes.  Took a step back, and sold @ 1/2 of them 2-3 years ago.  Whatever I did not ride, or were of no sentimental value (i.e. built with the kids), got sold.  When the novelty of collecting wears off (not riding- will always ride), I will have my car to fall back on.

Wanted- White Industries Freewheel 19T and 20T, and Big Gulp bars- because I think they look goofy enough to cruise with!

#31 2014-09-08 10:07am

hurlz
Pro Member
For Sale: 7

I hope you get some good dough for your stuff.  cool

#32 2014-09-08 10:14am

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)

giaro29 wrote:

I'm feeling the same way now.  I've got a few bikes in the my bikes category, but have a lot more completes that would bring decent money.  I'm trying to restore a car and am considering getting rid of everything minus the few that I ride.  I know I'll never get what they are worth to me. 

On the other hand, I think I'd regret it and it'd be tough to find again.  I think that's normal in any hobby.  My last hobby was a restoration of a 1973.5 Jeep Wagoneer, towing package with a 401 (impossible to find) and was my daily driver.  I sold it 7 years ago, because I thought I wanted something different and regret it every time I see one.

Good luck!!!!!

My 2 cents.

+ 1  to what you said. I want to cute back.  I have up to around 39 /40 20" BMX type bikes roll  but I sold some bikes to start thin'n the herd / fleet .  but  three I  now kick my self for selling. why because I got started well j never stopped building and buying BMX. but around 1998 I picked up a small boat load of bikes. just because the market for 70's to 1989 bmx bikes was dead.  people were leaving high end cool old school on the curb marked free. on trash day. no  body wanted them. or at least no body was advertising they would buy them. I  pick up   bikes for steal of a deal to free!big_smile  there was the recycler mag. it was like CL but in news paper form /   monthly mag. but they(old BMX) just brought low re sale. I did not care I bought and built bikes too ride. Not to re sale!  then around 2004 ebay , CL hit and   blew up the market. all these  baby boomer kids  now in there 40's and  up. want to re live there child hood. .  Complete built ready to ride   bikes. I got for  free  3 years Prior to 2004. where now getting $200.00 to $600 just for the frame.yikes  crazzy
fast  for word 6 years  ago I decided it's getting to be a sickness . time to let some go. I could not de side what to sell first. so listed  most on  ebay and on CL  + some here. let the mas market pick what go's.roll   dumb IDA  . got OK money for some grate money for others. but   now  I wish  I had some of the ones that sold back.sad  but price to by a look alike of what I built. well I can't a ford to do it!  way to much $$$ money$$$ to do it.

good luck if you do get it done. IE sell it all. please post how you fell and how you did cut cold turkey. if you did!wink

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#33 2014-09-08 10:14am

Oh Gee
Pro MemberSINGLE SERVING FRIEND
Bikes: 59

Advan wrote:

I still have my 1967 Camaro that I bought used, beat to hell, back in 1988.  Finished restoring it in 1995.  Got bit by the bike bug in 2004, and wound up with 62 completes.  Took a step back, and sold @ 1/2 of them 2-3 years ago.  Whatever I did not ride, or were of no sentimental value (i.e. built with the kids), got sold.  When the novelty of collecting wears off (not riding- will always ride), I will have my car to fall back on.

How'd you go about selling them Jim?

WTB: 175mm, driveside pinchless Redline 401 arm

#34 2014-09-08 10:18am

I am the owl...
Pro MemberSinner
Bikes: 7

Most of my stuff is sold now. I couldn't care less.

I love dead people....

#35 2014-09-08 10:18am

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)

UpisDown wrote:

It's funny when I see these posts, it makes me ride the two bikes I have and not go nuts buying all my grails. The wife actually told me get whatever you want-cost doesn't matter-and I won't pull the trigger. I think its just the thought of not riding what I have and just looking at it- I can't stare at something I want and not use it. JMC 24"- it's gettin' jumped. Nomura 24"- it's gettin' jumped. Kappa 24"- its gettin' jumped.
No carpet queens ever.

+ 1 just pay the BMX museum $20.00! its a hell of a lot cheaper. to just brows the museume. for cool old school bikes to look at. then try to buy and build it to just look at!tongue

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#36 2014-09-08 11:04am

Advan
Pro MemberHey Santa, you geriatric wanker...where's my bike?
Bikes: 34

Here and eBay.  A lot of my restored bikes that sold on eBay went over to Japan, via a purchasing agent in SoCal (flight2ams).

Wanted- White Industries Freewheel 19T and 20T, and Big Gulp bars- because I think they look goofy enough to cruise with!

#37 2014-09-08 11:06am

bmxerpete
Pro Member
Bikes: 10

I've been thinking about selling a majority of my collection.
I need money to buy one of these...
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n36/pete355/BLOWER_zpse1edca25.jpg

for this...
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n36/pete355/novagt002_zpsb5676524.jpg

big_smile

#38 2014-09-08 11:28am

kilrgt
Pro MemberFreestyle, there is no substitute

I think we all do, I know I haven't spent anytime in my bike room for I would have to say a year now. If I could find someone to take it all I would, I don't have time like you to list everything and watch auctions or answer PM's. Not sure
about your collection but I think I would take a hit on some as I bought in the higher times..That's why ebay is better for me as it normally gets more money.

Now I will give you some advise on the Porsche, I know you don't know me but I am diehard Porsche guy as well, while the 996 is a good car..( I still own my 2004 GT2) you always buy the newest you can afford, I did like my 997 its not that it was better then the 996, it was defiantly  more refined and more geared towards comfort then the 996. I do have a 991 GT2 on order and Im sure it will be that much better, still havent heard from Porsche when its getting made.

Good Luck with what ever you decide.

#39 2014-09-08 2:24pm

Coco

Only 3 bikes left for me and it will stay that way. I never had more than 5 anyway and that even seemed way too much.

I have been selling of extra parts I've had stashed away too. Do I need a couple extra NOS DX post just in case? Not really, so I sold them.

It is pretty easy once you start letting go but I'm standing firm at 3 bikes. That is more than I really need.

Last edited by Coco (2014-09-08 2:25pm)

#40 2014-09-08 3:01pm

Z.
Pro MemberOZ Shipping Dude
Bikes: 13

you wouldnt happen to own the 83 kuwahara laserlite still do you?  I would be interested in that.

#41 2014-09-08 3:07pm

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member“The Hammer”
For Sale: 6
Website

Once the $$$ starts pouring in it becomes really easy...

"Google is aiding the Communist Chinese military in asserting global domination and the defeat of America..."

#42 2014-09-08 3:16pm

rosie25
Pro Member
Bikes: 8
For Sale: 184

FYI- I have had a 2001 996 Turbo for 6 years. I highly recommend it. It has been virtually trouble free, and is a boatload of fun. My kids even fit in the back seats with no problem. They are probably the best bargain for a true Supercar that exists. Feel free to PM me if you need any advice or info, I would be happy to help.

Will NOT DEAL WITH
members-TerrenceBerg, similarion, ford1981, DIAMONDMAN2017, or Omdae EVER. BEWARE.

#43 2014-09-10 2:38pm

Oh Gee
Pro MemberSINGLE SERVING FRIEND
Bikes: 59

Z. wrote:

you wouldnt happen to own the 83 kuwahara laserlite still do you?  I would be interested in that.

just the '84 I have listed in beta, '83 was sold to Donarelo in Greece

WTB: 175mm, driveside pinchless Redline 401 arm

#44 2014-09-10 2:55pm

Green Griffin 420
Pro Member
Bikes: 11

broker them. Find some one you trust that can list and ship for you and give them a cut. Hell your not far from me, I may be interested in doing it. except I work for parts not cash.big_smile

MCS Wing Cruiser Bars. Odyssey T20 & T24 Renegade tires.Phase II pro xl or Cruiser, Gold DC tech 4, all VG to mint condition

#45 2014-09-10 3:19pm

JS-44SDS
Pro MemberProfile Ultimate Pro
Bikes: 4

Early this year I walked down stairs and did a quick tally-I just shook my head.  Sold a small volume but it paid my truck off 3 years early, then gave my wonderful wife 5K and she bought a Mercedes after driving a 2002 POS Impala for 12 years.  Would I sell the rest-IN a f'in heart beat IF I found something worthwhile to do with it-don't have the garage space but when I do it may ALLLLLL go except 1 bike.  I sold the items I thought I would NEVER ever let go-but I did and do not regret it ONE bit.  The hunt is the fun and after that it's just a part on a shelf.  IF you are a hardcore rider that is way different than being primarily a collector at our ages.  I also have sold collections for a few good friends....it's a lot of work but it can be fun.

LOL Pathetic is having to get a new account because you are afraid of your wife...  Your turn kitten balls ????

If you are OK with your actions why the concerted effort to hide what happened?

Don't screw over those you tell your secrets...its not talkin shit if it's TRUE.

#46 2014-09-10 5:08pm

SKYWAYNE1026
Pro Member
Bikes: 18
For Sale: 1

JS-44SDS wrote:

Early this year I walked down stairs and did a quick tally-I just shook my head.  Sold a small volume but it paid my truck off 3 years early, then gave my wonderful wife 5K and she bought a Mercedes after driving a 2002 POS Impala for 12 years.  Would I sell the rest-IN a f'in heart beat IF I found something worthwhile to do with it-don't have the garage space but when I do it may ALLLLLL go except 1 bike.  I sold the items I thought I would NEVER ever let go-but I did and do not regret it ONE bit.  The hunt is the fun and after that it's just a part on a shelf.  IF you are a hardcore rider that is way different than being primarily a collector at our ages.  I also have sold collections for a few good friends....it's a lot of work but it can be fun.

Well said Scott, I did the same thing with my Kiss collecting, I had one of a kind stage used items I swore I would never let go of but at some point reality has to kick in and you have to take care of things that matter more.

Always looking for nice / rare SKYWAY bikes, parts & gear.

#47 2014-09-10 6:06pm

tacoman
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

R,
Wise guy here told me when he decided to liquidate....he sold one of his most prized items first. ....and the rest was easy.

I too comtemplate selling more often these days than 2 years ago.....but not much movement.  Lol

I have 5 I would keep...mostly.
the rest?  Clock is ticking

#48 2014-09-10 6:40pm

Arsenal2012
Pro MemberBeer Fridge

ridingdirty42 wrote:

Fulthrotle73 wrote:

Dont think, just do it.

But how? No reserve eBay? I don't have time to list everything and babysit my thread, relist what doesn't sell and whatnot.

Your loss is someone elses gain sell em cheap!

I know for my rc stuff I get pennies to the dollar.

“We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about something real?”
- 451* F

#49 2014-09-10 7:56pm

Draw
Pro MemberRev on the Redline
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 13

SKYWAYNE1026 wrote:

ridingdirty42 wrote:

Fulthrotle73 wrote:

Dont think, just do it.

But how? No reserve eBay? I don't have time to list everything and babysit my thread, relist what doesn't sell and whatnot.

I would say no reserve on ebay is the way to go to get the most money out of it by letting the market & demand decide the value but you have to part everything out as most people don't buy completes never mind that many of them plus more unless it is a steal of a price so you have to decide what's more important the money for the car or getting rid of it all at once????

would you think 'correct' completes would do better ?
i got dozens of bikes and i would not want to part
the several survivors and correct rebuilds out.

i also have a huge collection and have been tossing around letting it all go.
(not to get out of it but to just keep my redlines).

Light, Strong, Cheap ... Pick two

#50 2014-09-10 8:00pm

five
BMXer 4 Life
Website

Been there and did it.  I'm keeping 1 OS complete, and a couple frames for my man cave.  No regrets, and a shit load of money in my pocket to diversify my hobbies.  Bought a guitar, took a vacation, bought a new mountain bike, and a few other things.  I love collecting stuff, but it's a burden, and it feels great to lighten the load!  Just do it.

Board footer

View Cart →