You are not logged in.

Converting my GT Mohawk hubs to sealed cartridge bearings

#101 2016-08-19 4:58pm

Bshotti
Pro Member
Bikes: 8
For Sale: 3

Re: Converting my GT Mohawk hubs to sealed cartridge bearings

do u think its possible to convert a low flange suzue hub?    has anyone ever done this b4?  post somepics

#102 2016-08-19 5:01pm

El Gecko
Museum Addict
Bikes: 10

That one actually looks like a factory sealed hub.  You can tell because the rim around the bearing hole is thicker.

Relax.
Balance.
Focus.

#103 2016-08-19 6:40pm

James Vigil
Pro Member
Bikes: 2

El Gecko wrote:

That one actually looks like a factory sealed hub.  You can tell because the rim around the bearing hole is thicker.

Little hard to tell on my phone but looks rounded where bearings would sit. If it is then it's unsealed

A pile of shit has a thousand eyes.

#104 2016-11-15 8:57am

eastwickilla

In;)

Introducing, the Ghost face Killah
No one could get illa!!!
3astwickilla

#105 2017-07-16 4:34pm

BMXR
Museum Newbie
Bikes: 1

My bullseyes always had free play....still do! but my loose rythym hubs are causing me problems and i want to switch to sealed as I'm having trouble sourcing decent quality replacement cones. Last set I bought lasted 1 lap of the track and major graunching noises forced me to head home.  Anyone converted  loose rythyms to sealed?

#106 2017-07-16 5:44pm

Capnkush
Centurion Member

Well I had the noise problem on a looseball hub I had, I went to a small cone and it fixed it no issues, but if you want to swap your rhythm hubs the same applies as mohawks, just need to use a micrometer to measure what size bearing you need, I'm pretty sure rhythm hubs use 6000 on front and the rear non drive side, and the drive side uses a 6200. Don't take my word though and double check with a micrometer.  cool

#107 2017-07-19 12:38am

BMXR
Museum Newbie
Bikes: 1

Thanks for the advice. I'll try smaller cones first and if that doesn't fix it I'll go down the sealed route.

#108 2017-07-19 8:02am

stonie
Pro MemberThe Museum Therapist
For Sale: 16
Website

In 20 years people are going to be like:

Why did these guys go and screw with these super rare collectible hubs           lol  tongue

Gnarly is when it's beyond radical, it's balls out danger, & or perfection, & or skill or all of that combined. Nobody can shred like that guy, he's gnarly.                                        \m/  ( º . º )  \m/

#109 2017-07-19 12:49pm

Capnkush
Centurion Member

stonie wrote:

Why did these guys go and screw with these super rare collectible hubs           lol  tongue

Probably, but I don't ever plan to let mine go anyway lol

#110 2017-07-19 1:14pm

stonie
Website

Capnkush wrote:

stonie wrote:

Hopefully you still have the BMX bug in 20 years

Gnarly is when it's beyond radical, it's balls out danger, & or perfection, & or skill or all of that combined. Nobody can shred like that guy, he's gnarly.                                        \m/  ( º . º )  \m/

#111 2017-07-19 1:21pm

Capnkush
Centurion Member

stonie wrote:

Capnkush wrote:

stonie wrote:

Hopefully you still have the BMX bug in 20 years

I hope so too, still young but I have had it the last 15 so I'm hopeful cool

#112 2017-07-19 1:39pm

El Gecko
Museum Addict

The nice thing about it is, if you don't go too crazy, all you need to do is unbolt the axle and pop the bearings out and you have 2 normal hub shells again, minus the old destroyed loose bearing cups.

Relax.
Balance.
Focus.

#113 2018-04-27 2:57am

DvBrien
The Realist
Bikes: 4

I'm starting the Superlace Conversion. Trying to determine the best way to remove the ball bearing cups.

Some good ideas here and unfortunately too much lost information and the photo bucket dick head strikes again.

Last edited by DvBrien (2018-04-27 2:57am)

Make me an offer I can't refuse, but click on my name before making an offer...

#114 2018-04-27 12:56pm

DvBrien
The Realist

The beginning. ..

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/206089/20180427_1410325ae3805802.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/206089/20180427_1410465ae38070dd.jpg

#115 2018-05-06 7:01am

rjohn

nice mod

Kuwahara Kiowa/Makai 1996 (NOS) for sale ,still in the box.

#116 2018-05-06 8:46am

troynlori
ModeratorSuper "Pedal Peddler" Junior Mod
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 88

So essentially what we're saying is that GT bored them all for cartridge bearings as a way of streamlining manufacturing, but then stuffed loose ball into some as a way of filling a product line.....right?

Hutch Fun Facts: All main line Hutch's with digits only S/N (no letters or baseballs) on the rear drop outs were US made and had their dropouts stamped between late '83 and '86.  Obviously the frame manufacture would occur slightly after that, even if they just threw 'em in a bucket randomly.  There is an obvious date code in that the first 2 digits seem to be the month and the 3rd digit is pretty obviously the last digit of the year running from '83-'86.

#117 2018-05-20 5:32pm

DvBrien
The Realist

Not exactly... these bore holes are 24.5mm I haven't found anything to match. I've searched for 2 weeks now. The axle was standard size hole

#118 2018-05-20 5:35pm

troynlori
ModeratorSuper "Pedal Peddler" Junior Mod
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 88

I guess I wonder if what we're saying is that it's a bit sloppy good enough.

Hutch Fun Facts: All main line Hutch's with digits only S/N (no letters or baseballs) on the rear drop outs were US made and had their dropouts stamped between late '83 and '86.  Obviously the frame manufacture would occur slightly after that, even if they just threw 'em in a bucket randomly.  There is an obvious date code in that the first 2 digits seem to be the month and the 3rd digit is pretty obviously the last digit of the year running from '83-'86.

#119 2018-05-27 7:47pm

stonie
Website

troynlori wrote:

I guess I wonder if what we're saying is that it's a bit sloppy good enough.

My exact thought, for years now.          lol

#120 2018-05-28 1:06am

LaughnJar
Pro MemberMuseum Lawyer

troynlori wrote:

So essentially what we're saying is that GT bored them all for cartridge bearings as a way of streamlining manufacturing, but then stuffed loose ball into some as a way of filling a product line.....right?

I know that Suzie did this with SOME of their hub manufacture runs.  And I can prove that statement with pics and complete details on how to identify the hubs that can be converted from free to sealed bearing.  Along with the best method and tools to use for removing the brass(?) bearing cup races in order to achieve a nice snug fit for press in sealed bearings.  Such that they use 3/8 inch axles. The only difference between the converted hubs and hubs that came off the line with sealed bearings is the style of axle.

I discovered this entirely by accident or chance while polishing some hubs just a few months ago.  Doable but time consuming and requires a lot of patience and power tool skills, lol!

Peace

HUTCH please, neat or on the rocks;  black'n'chrome or chrome'n'black, pure and unadulterated...like savoring a 20 year old single malt Scotch.  If I wanted a candy color flavor, I'd have ordered a glass of Haro.

"Stop the car, I'm gettin' out.  I can't take it.  Hey look out there's somebody coming
And there's nothin' you can do about it!"

#121 2018-11-23 5:57pm

LWC82PE
Centurion Member

DvBrien wrote:

Not exactly... these bore holes are 24.5mm I haven't found anything to match. I've searched for 2 weeks now. The axle was standard size hole

I  think this bearing may work

16062RS  3/8x29/32x5/16 inch

The  OD is  23.02mm so if  hub is 24.50 then you can machined a sleeve 0.74mm thick

Its a 1606 bearing

https://www.nationalprecision.com/ball- … l_inch.php

Skyway  uses a 1614 and the  1606 actually rated  slightly  more for  load i so i think it would be ok.

Last edited by LWC82PE (2018-11-23 6:02pm)

#122 2019-01-10 10:17pm

DanSolo
Museum Newbie
Website

Sorry to bump an old thread, I’m just curious if El Gecko ever got his hubs dialed in.  I just picked up an old 2000 Dyno XR with triple wall ZAC-Xs laced to Mohawk hubs.  Rear axle is bent and/or cassette may be bad.  Figured I have to replace the axle and cassette so might as well see if this sealed bearing mod is doable.

#123 2019-01-11 8:43am

El Gecko
Museum Addict

Not yet, but it's funny you brought this thread up again because I started working on them again recently.  Got my grail Pro Series last fall and now I'm gonna use these converted hubs (my originals from bitd) on that bike.  Need to figure out a better spacer system for inside the hub, or find a machined axle with shoulders that's the right width.  I was having trouble keeping everything tight with the hardware I got, and I actually cannibalized them awhile back for another project.  Never even got to lace em up and ride em.  I need them to be strong for this bike, so I'm gonna try to do it right this time.  Hopefully I'll have some updates for you guys soon big_smile

Relax.
Balance.
Focus.

#124 2019-01-11 9:24am

squirrelsmith
Pro MemberLoves Naked Animated Girls!
Bikes: 3
For Sale: 1

stonie wrote:

El Gecko wrote:

Iceman wrote:

Weren't the Bullseye and Phil's glued together? Or was it jus the Phil's.....

Phil used some kind of epoxy I think.  The only thing that sucks about 1st gen Phils is that there is no flange in the hub shell to keep the bearings in place, so if you get a really hard sideways hit, the whole axle and bearings can slide to one side and pop out.  Loctite works fine as a replacement.

Wow, seriously?    yikes

Guess that's why they are 1st gens, and not current gen.

Can't believe a hub manufacturer would not put bearing seats in the shell   roll

well it was literally the first attempt at a sealed bearing hub. they made them like that into the 90s. phils are junk yikes

ya'll wanna see a dead body?

#125 2019-01-11 9:26am

squirrelsmith
Pro MemberLoves Naked Animated Girls!
Bikes: 3
For Sale: 1

troynlori wrote:

hast to be the case, makes sense, troy's always thinking

ya'll wanna see a dead body?

Board footer