Pro MemberThe Museum Therapist
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 25
Website

Re: Converting my GT Mohawk hubs to sealed cartridge bearings

Iceman wrote:

stonie wrote:

I'm thinking that if any of us bought a set of cartridge bearing hubs
from Crupi/etc, and were held together with tape we would be pissed    wink  tongue

Weren't the Bullseye and Phil's glued together? Or was it jus the Phil's.....

Yeah, Phil did/does some sort of bonding.
Even without the bonding the parts still fit snug though.

Gnarly is when it's beyond radical, it's balls out danger, & or perfection, & or skill or all of that combined. Nobody can shred like that guy, he's gnarly.                                        \m/  ( º . º )  \m/

#77 2016-04-29 7:12pm

El Gecko
Pro Member
Bikes: 10

x

Last edited by El Gecko (2019-01-11 8:51am)

Relax.
Balance.
Focus.

#78 2016-04-29 7:16pm

El Gecko
Pro Member

Iceman wrote:

stonie wrote:

from Crupi/etc, and were held together with tape we would be pissed    wink  tongue

Phil used some kind of epoxy I think.  The only thing that sucks about 1st gen Phils is that there is no flange in the hub shell to keep the bearings in place, so if you get a really hard sideways hit, the whole axle and bearings can slide to one side and pop out.  Loctite works fine as a replacement.

Relax.
Balance.
Focus.

#79 2016-04-30 9:08am

stonie
Website

El Gecko wrote:

Iceman wrote:

stonie wrote:

Phil used some kind of epoxy I think.  The only thing that sucks about 1st gen Phils is that there is no flange in the hub shell to keep the bearings in place, so if you get a really hard sideways hit, the whole axle and bearings can slide to one side and pop out.  Loctite works fine as a replacement.

Wow, seriously?    yikes

Guess that's why they are 1st gens, and not current gen.

Can't believe a hub manufacturer would not put bearing seats in the shell   roll

Gnarly is when it's beyond radical, it's balls out danger, & or perfection, & or skill or all of that combined. Nobody can shred like that guy, he's gnarly.                                        \m/  ( º . º )  \m/

#80 2016-05-01 3:01pm

El Gecko
Pro Member

Yeah I thought it was weird too, but I have a few with Loctite and a few without, and none have come apart on me yet.  Granted, I don't ride them very hard at all, just cruising the neighborhood and stuff, but they seem fine.  They are a tight enough press fit that it's pretty hard to move them anyway.  I put thousands of miles on my commuter bike in college and the bearings got bad before they moved in the shell.

Relax.
Balance.
Focus.

#81 2016-05-01 3:25pm

stonie
Website

El Gecko wrote:

Yeah I thought it was weird too, but I have a few with Loctite and a few without, and none have come apart on me yet.  Granted, I don't ride them very hard at all, just cruising the neighborhood and stuff, but they seem fine.  They are a tight enough press fit that it's pretty hard to move them anyway.  I put thousands of miles on my commuter bike in college and the bearings got bad before they moved in the shell.

Good to hear that nothing catastrophic happen while commuting    wink

Funny to me as people spend bank on hubs when a standard pair
of Suzue cartridge being hubs does the job perfectly, at a fraction of the price.

#82 2016-05-01 3:28pm

stonie
Website

I can say that there have been lots of unhappy people with Bullseye hubs.

My experience with almost every Bullseye hub has been looseness.
Even after replacing bearings there still is not tight enough tolerances     sad

Now the new Bullseye stuff may be better, don't know about that.

#83 2016-05-03 9:07am

El Gecko
Pro Member

stonie wrote:

El Gecko wrote:

of Suzue cartridge being hubs does the job perfectly, at a fraction of the price.

Yeah those repop Suzue lookalikes are a sweet deal for $50 and I trust them for pretty much any kind of riding.

Can't say the same about my Phils.

Relax.
Balance.
Focus.

#84 2016-05-03 10:12am

stonie
Website

El Gecko wrote:

stonie wrote:

El Gecko wrote:

Yeah those repop Suzue lookalikes are a sweet deal for $50 and I trust them for pretty much any kind of riding.

Can't say the same about my Phils.

Where did you find repop Suzues?

#85 2016-05-03 10:33am

El Gecko
Pro Member

I bought a set of these awhile back.  Not true repops of the Suzue cartridge hubs, but pretty close.  Nice bearings, good solid construction, and they look great.  The guy used to have a bunch but it looks like he's all out.  Should have got some gold ones when I had the chance.  CRUZR_ADDICT is now selling a few sets with a $30 markup.

http://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/127341

Relax.
Balance.
Focus.

#86 2016-05-03 11:06am

Capnkush
Pro Member
For Sale: 6

El Gecko wrote:

I bought a set of these awhile back.  Not true repops of the Suzue cartridge hubs, but pretty close.  Nice bearings, good solid construction, and they look great.  The guy used to have a bunch but it looks like he's all out.  Should have got some gold ones when I had the chance.  CRUZR_ADDICT is now selling a few sets with a $30 markup.

Have always wondered about those style hubs, a simple ebay search of sealed hubs and a little bit of searching you find the sealed hubs of the same style for a fraction, sure they would be just as good as any i would suppose, just no fancy brand or styling.

one type i found
http://www.ebay.com/itm/sealed-bicycle- … 4eNKDRON5Q

And some more suzue style hubs, seller has a wide selection from what i noticed, but they all come from china for a fraction of what you usually see hubs never bought any myself though

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Golden-F … rQA5yAyiRg

#87 2016-05-03 11:38am

stonie
Website

El Gecko wrote:

Oh, those.

YeaH, I remember those.

They look like real nice hubs.
Bullet Proof made some super hi-quality hubs similar to those.

smilesmilesmilesmile

#88 2016-06-20 11:15am

john69
Museum Newbie

Been having a look at this thread for a while now and was wondering did anyone find out what dimensions the front axle is managed to get a rear one done bit went with 62mm shoulders width and seems too long

#89 2016-06-20 11:58am

funpig
Pro Member
Bikes: 4

john69 wrote:

Been having a look at this thread for a while now and was wondering did anyone find out what dimensions the front axle is managed to get a rear one done bit went with 62mm shoulders width and seems too long

If you look at page  1 I posted a pic using a 59mm shoulder to shoulder that worked great

we are the funpigs and we have fun!!!!!!

#90 2016-06-20 12:05pm

john69
Museum Newbie

funpig wrote:

john69 wrote:

If you look at page  1 I posted a pic using a 59mm shoulder to shoulder that worked great

What bike is that axle from

#91 2016-06-20 5:38pm

funpig
Pro Member
Bikes: 4

john69 wrote:

funpig wrote:

john69 wrote:

What bike is that axle from

It's not from any bike or hub. I found it at an old bike shop that let me go through some old stuff they had. It just happen to  be what I was looking for.

we are the funpigs and we have fun!!!!!!

#92 2016-07-03 6:14pm

elfdoublecross
Pro Member36-40 Intermediate "Sarge"
Bikes: 28

Just wanted to give an update on my converted hubs. I have been riding them regularly at my local track (practice laps). Today I raced them with zero issues and took 1st in Moto 1 and in my Main. These are on my 1995 Auburn CR20RX,  so it was a bit satisfying to beat out modern race bikes. Anyway, the hubs are going strong.

Last edited by elfdoublecross (2016-07-03 6:15pm)

#93 2016-07-03 6:23pm

Capnkush
Pro Member
For Sale: 6

elfdoublecross wrote:

Just wanted to give an update on my converted hubs. I have been riding them regularly at my local track (practice laps). Today I raced them with zero issues and took 1st in Moto 1 and in my Main. These are on my 1995 Auburn CR20RX,  so it was a bit satisfying to beat out modern race bikes. Anyway, the hubs are going strong.

Awesome I haven't done any gt hubs yet but I did a 14mm loose ball haro hub I had with parts from a different sealed 14mm hub and even used bottle caps from a 2 liter bottle as bearing cups to make them fit, I have took them off stairs and rode the hell out of them and never even came loose. Nice to hear that your wheels are going strong and wish you good luck down the road with them!

#94 2016-07-05 1:54pm

El Gecko
Pro Member

elfdoublecross wrote:

That's great news!  Mine are still on the backburner, but it's good to know your aluminum tape is holding strong!

Relax.
Balance.
Focus.

#95 2016-07-11 11:45am

john69
Museum Newbie

I managed to convert my rear gt mohawk with a gusset huka rear sealed axle with 6200 bearings runs sweet .Front I'm having a bit of difficulty with bit may have cracked it with a front odyssey vandero 1 sealed axle will keep you updated

#96 2016-07-11 11:45am

john69
Museum Newbie

I managed to convert my rear gt mohawk with a gusset huka rear sealed axle with 6200 bearings runs sweet .Front I'm having a bit of difficulty with bit may have cracked it with a front odyssey vandero 1 sealed axle will keep you updated

#97 2016-07-11 11:51am

john69
Museum Newbie

These were the dimensions of the axles they have
HUAG4H8F - 64mm

HUAG4H8R - 70mm

HUAGUH8F - 62mm

HUAGUH8R - 70.5mm

Pretty sure I used the last 2

#98 2016-08-19 4:39am

drc85
Centurion Member
Bikes: 5

i got a old front mohawk hub with no axle? im not sure if there are two types... sealed and looseballs.... how can i find out lol

80s baby...

#99 2016-08-19 4:41am

James Vigil
Pro Member

drc85 wrote:

i got a old front mohawk hub with no axle? im not sure if there are two types... sealed and looseballs.... how can i find out lol

Post pics

A pile of shit has a thousand eyes.

#100 2016-08-19 4:47am

drc85
Centurion Member
Bikes: 5

http://www2.pic-upload.de/thumb/31496793/14022147_864011633743434_6462578755750488329_n.jpg

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-31496793/14022147_864011633743434_6462578755750488329_n.jpg.html

i hope this works big_smile

80s baby...

Board footer

View Cart →