Converting my GT Mohawk hubs to sealed cartridge bearings  RSS Feed

#51 2016-01-12 8:57am

elfdoublecross
Pro Member36-40 Intermediate "Sarge"
Bikes: 27

Re: Converting my GT Mohawk hubs to sealed cartridge bearings

El Gecko wrote:

elfdoublecross wrote:

These started as unsealed black hubs in rough shape. I stripped them down, removed the anodizing, polished them up. I followed the conversion instructions in this forum with a few changes. They spin great.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190 … 151650.jpg

Hubs were given to me for free, so between axles, bearings, shims, lock collars, and nuts I'm in for just over $60. Better than paying well over $150 for a NOS pair.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190 … 11049.jpeg

Finished product. I know it's not an accurate representation of actual sealed bearing GT hubs but I think they're awesome.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190 … 094529.jpg

Nice job!  Was the inner bearing race tight enough on the axles?  I tried it with 10mm threaded axles too and there was still a bit too much play for my liking.  I still need to find a set of axles with shoulders and a machined bearing surface to tighten up the tolerances.

I had the same problem with loose tolerances too. Solved the problem by wrapping the axle with 3M Aluminum tape to create a shim effect. I know this sounds ghetto but it works, as long as you rub the tape after each application to flatten it down snug against the axle surface. Layer it until it fits snug through the bearings and internal spacer. I had to gently tap the axle through. Snug it all up with the lock collars and it's good to go. I've been trying to make the axles wiggle or come loose with no such luck...

U S A R / 74 D / R E C O N  P S G

WTB: Specialized Spanky red striped 24" tires. Redline Forklifter aluminum cruiser bars. Nuke Proof 36h hubs.

#52 2016-01-12 9:51am

El Gecko
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

Nice job, I was thinking of something like that but glad to hear it actually works!  I now have two sets of hubs I need to do this to, but I need to make them all bulletproof since they'll actually get ridden, and this sounds like just the ticket.  I'll probably use washers and locknuts instead of locking collars to keep costs down though.

Relax.
Balance.
Focus.

#53 2016-01-12 9:56am

elfdoublecross

El Gecko wrote:

Nice job, I was thinking of something like that but glad to hear it actually works!  I now have two sets of hubs I need to do this to, but I need to make them all bulletproof since they'll actually get ridden, and this sounds like just the ticket.  I'll probably use washers and locknuts instead of locking collars to keep costs down though.

Yup. Plan on riding / racing mine so it will be a good test of their durability. If not I'll go back to the drawing board.

WTB: Specialized Spanky red striped 24" tires. Redline Forklifter aluminum cruiser bars. Nuke Proof 36h hubs.

#54 2016-01-12 10:24am

El Gecko
Pro Member

Yep, racing will definitely test all the stress points.  Please let us know how they're holding up once you've done a few races.

Relax.
Balance.
Focus.

#55 2016-01-12 2:41pm

stonie
Pro MemberThe Museum Therapist
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 48
Website

You probably would have been better off using a soda can as a shim, than tape of any kind.

Gnarly is when it's beyond radical, it's balls out danger, & or perfection, & or skill or all of that combined. Nobody can shred like that guy, he's gnarly.                                        \m/  ( º . º )  \m/

#56 2016-01-12 2:43pm

El Gecko
Pro Member

A soda can would be too thick.  The tolerance is like a fraction of a millimeter.  I think the aluminum tape will hold up well and be fine if you get it in there tight enough, but we'll see.

Relax.
Balance.
Focus.

#57 2016-02-01 5:23pm

elfdoublecross

Update: Took the Auburn to LaCrosse  (Toads Cove indoor bmx track)... did a few practice laps and the wheels performed flawlessly. Checked them over, adjusted and retightened the lock collars. No issues...

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/elfdoublecross/Mobile%20Uploads/20160201_190256_LLS.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/elfdoublecross/Mobile%20Uploads/20160201_190705_LLS.jpg

#58 2016-02-01 6:26pm

DemonGT
Pro MemberDay-Glo Dynamo
Bikes: 36
For Sale: 2

never knew there was a indoor track in Lacrosse

WTB: 1992 Yellow splatter GT Performer

#59 2016-02-01 6:42pm

elfdoublecross

DemonGT wrote:

never knew there was a indoor track in Lacrosse

Racing every Saturday... it's a good track.

#60 2016-02-02 8:16am

funpig
Pro Member
Bikes: 4

Sweet to hear that they held up great news haven't put mine together yet

we are the funpigs and we have fun!!!!!!

#61 2016-02-02 11:17am

El Gecko
Pro Member

stonie wrote:

El Gecko wrote:

A soda can would be too thick.  The tolerance is like a fraction of a millimeter.  I think the aluminum tape will hold up well and be fine if you get it in there tight enough, but we'll see.

Awesome, glad to hear the tape worked out       smile

Oh, and thanks for serving & keeping us free!!          big_smile

lol, did you mean to quote elfdoublecross?  He's the military man wink

btw elf, good to hear they were solid on the track.  I still haven't finished mine up, too many other projects, but I'm excited to get them running again now that I know they don't fall apart under heavy use.

Relax.
Balance.
Focus.

#62 2016-02-02 11:51am

stonie
Website

El Gecko wrote:

stonie wrote:

El Gecko wrote:

Awesome, glad to hear the tape worked out       smile

Oh, and thanks for serving & keeping us free!!          big_smile

lol, did you mean to quote elfdoublecross?  He's the military man wink

btw elf, good to hear they were solid on the track.  I still haven't finished mine up, too many other projects, but I'm excited to get them running again now that I know they don't fall apart under heavy use.

Whoops, yes I did mean to quote him.
Will fix it, thanks         smile

Gnarly is when it's beyond radical, it's balls out danger, & or perfection, & or skill or all of that combined. Nobody can shred like that guy, he's gnarly.                                        \m/  ( º . º )  \m/

#63 2016-02-02 11:52am

stonie
Website

elfdoublecross wrote:

Update: Took the Auburn to LaCrosse  (Toads Cove indoor bmx track)... did a few practice laps and the wheels performed flawlessly. Checked them over, adjusted and retightened the lock collars. No issues...

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190 … 56_LLS.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190 … 05_LLS.jpg

Awesome, glad to hear the tape worked out        smile

Oh, and thanks for serving & keeping us free!!     big_smile

#64 2016-02-02 11:55am

El Gecko
Pro Member

No worries, bro.  Just giving credit where it's due.

Relax.
Balance.
Focus.

#65 2016-02-02 1:10pm

stonie
Website

El Gecko wrote:

No worries, bro.  Just giving credit where it's due.

smile

#66 2016-02-02 2:16pm

elfdoublecross

stonie wrote:

elfdoublecross wrote:

Thank you. I love serving; been in for 12 years now.

If for any reason the aluminum tape should fail, I will go the aluminum can shim route... I'll keep updating the durability of the hubs as I use them more this year.

#67 2016-02-03 8:45am

stonie
Website

elfdoublecross wrote:

stonie wrote:

elfdoublecross wrote:

Thank you. I love serving; been in for 12 years now.

If for any reason the aluminum tape should fail, I will go the aluminum can shim route... I'll keep updating the durability of the hubs as I use them more this year.

Ride on!!     cool

#68 2016-03-01 11:13am

Capnkush
Pro Member
For Sale: 3

cool cool Just came across this and i must say i thought i was being fooled at first until i started seeing pictures and reading the thread. i must say this is awesome i have a laced set of almost nos hubs and this might have to become a project as im sure i can find the parts i need. But i was even getting more excitied because my 20" gt stealth mags i have, use the same bearing insert like the mohawks do, what im getting at is im sure the process would be exactly the same on those. very interested in trying this on my mags now.... will be back with info for sure big_smile

#69 2016-03-01 11:32am

bikeanddestroy
Website

A guy at work gave me a set of mohawk looseball wheels. 36H I think. I kinda shrugged and figured I'd just put them in the attic and forget about them, but this changes everything, lol.

in search of - early threadless pitchforks, chrome profiles(powerlite versions would be awesome)...

#70 2016-04-26 11:53am

glacas
Pro Member
Bikes: 22
For Sale: 7

Done.. Rear sealed bearings were fitted with no problem, the front ones i had to tap them a bit with a rubber hammer. smile

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/145055/img_20160426_181622571fb8c86e.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/145055/img_20160426_173417571fb8faed.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/145055/img_20160426_181558571fb9008e.jpg

#71 2016-04-26 12:36pm

El Gecko
Pro Member

Looks great!  What axle did you use?  Something with bearing shoulders, or just all threaded with a spacer?

Relax.
Balance.
Focus.

#72 2016-04-26 11:33pm

glacas
Pro Member
Bikes: 22
For Sale: 7

I have used the same axles I had with the open bearings.

I have used a bit of electrical tape on the axles so the sealed bearings wouldn't be loose on the axle.. Since the bearing inner race is tight with the axle the job is done. If you take a closer look at the pics you would notice.

I tight the lock nuts to keep the bearings in place but not against it so it would spin smooth and also got the space required to fit the wheel on the frame smile

I didn't use any sleeves inside the hubs since there was no need. When I removed the cups from the hub shell I have noticed that the sealed bearings wouldn't move inside the shell since the diameter of the hole was smaller inside. (excuse me for my English smile) I will post a pic to see what I mean.

The only issue I had it was the fact that the bearings should sit straight in the bubs. When you spin your wheels you will notice on the rear wheel that the freewheel is moving right and left for a reason, well this is the reason smile.

The job was not as hard I thought it would be. I did both hubs, put the tires back on and wheels on my bike within an hour and a half.. The only tricky parts of the whole procedure but still doable was to remove both hub cups from each hub and to place the bearings on the front hubs.

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/145055/img_20160426_17001157205d003e.jpg

Last edited by glacas (2016-04-26 11:53pm)

#73 2016-04-27 6:58am

El Gecko
Pro Member

Gotcha, I saw the electrical tape but wasn't sure if it was part of a bearing race on the axle or something.

Nice work cool

Relax.
Balance.
Focus.

#74 2016-04-29 6:47pm

stonie
Website

I'm thinking that if any of us bought a set of cartridge bearing hubs
from Crupi/etc, and were held together with tape we would be pissed    wink  tongue

#75 2016-04-29 7:07pm

Iceman
Pro MemberGrammar Patrol

stonie wrote:

I'm thinking that if any of us bought a set of cartridge bearing hubs
from Crupi/etc, and were held together with tape we would be pissed    wink  tongue

Weren't the Bullseye and Phil's glued together? Or was it jus the Phil's.....

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round......

Board footer

View Cart →