You are not logged in.

the old guys who still want to ride thread!

#4301 2021-02-18 4:56pm

moncho
Pro Member
Bikes: 2

Re: the old guys who still want to ride thread!

Rideflat666 wrote:

moncho wrote:

A couple of combos from my part in the latest Doses video as well as some stuff from recent weeks. Hope you like it.

Love your riding !!!!! Would love to visit PR to session with you and DR to session with Polanco ...

Lmk when you come!

#4302 2021-02-18 5:01pm

moncho
Pro Member

haro, indiana wrote:

moncho wrote:

matt thomas wrote:

I don't know which was crazier, triple backwards whiplash, or the ride in to the double!!! All brakeless and really smooth!

Thanks Matt! The multiple backward whiplashes have really been difficult to dial.

Any tips on backward whiplashes?

Three important things to do when going for them:
1. Keep the rear wheel VERY high during the whole motion.
2. Give the rear end a good swing to get whip going.
3. Make sure you keep your head and chest well centered, if you place them too far forward you're gonna flip over. Instead, push only with your arms to remain in the correct position.

Hope this helps.

#4303 2021-02-20 9:14am

haro, indiana
Pro Member
For Sale: 1

moncho wrote:

haro, indiana wrote:

moncho wrote:

Thanks Matt! The multiple backward whiplashes have really been difficult to dial.

Any tips on backward whiplashes?

Three important things to do when going for them:
1. Keep the rear wheel VERY high during the whole motion.
2. Give the rear end a good swing to get whip going.
3. Make sure you keep your head and chest well centered, if you place them too far forward you're gonna flip over. Instead, push only with your arms to remain in the correct position.

Hope this helps.

very helpful- thanks!

#4304 2021-02-20 3:27pm

Rideflat666
Pro Member

https://vimeo.com/514784355

Got to ride all day.

Looking for a 48 spoke suntour coaster hub in decent condition.

#4305 2021-02-20 4:12pm

tread
Pro Member
Bikes: 3

My ring doorbell this morning
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/236/78cb90b9-3dee-436b-b841-b6c2867991466031a55c43.jpeg

#4306 2021-02-20 5:15pm

mac76
Pro Memberdave's not here man

Rideflat666 wrote:

Got to ride all day.

help for hang 5 like on intro
i see arms very slighly bent
how much pressure on hands?
just enough to keep seat tight to butt?
most weight is on foot?

practicing in house not rolling
same difficulty right?

#4307 2021-02-20 6:08pm

Rideflat666
Pro Member

mac76 wrote:

Rideflat666 wrote:

Got to ride all day.

most weight is on foot?

same difficulty right?

There is many variables to this ..height, setup etc....I learned these in 1988 and the best advice I will give is 1)  slam your seat ...this way you can push into it from a standing position...2) learn to leap frog over the bars..because you will fall and fall alot... 3) use parking spaces to gauge your distance and progression...4) your indoor idea ..just throw that thought in the trash 5) don't use your front break unless you like playing human catapult...6) my arms are bent and locked mostly because it's an 18.5 tt on 19tt they are a little straight and locked. 7) helps to have an understanding of rolling tricks...steam roller ,fork wheelie, side glide ,elbow glide , karl cruiser, peg wheelie ,manual...center of balance is pretty much all the same...just your position is different

Last edited by Rideflat666 (2021-02-20 6:09pm)

#4308 2021-02-20 6:27pm

NoJuice01

Rideflat666 wrote:

Got to ride all day.

did you get a new bike?  thought you had a chrome one?

#4309 2021-02-20 6:42pm

Rideflat666
Pro Member

NoJuice01 wrote:

Rideflat666 wrote:

Got to ride all day.

My back would like like a new bike, my wallet doesn't feel the same...I have the red bike, white dk, I still have chrome frame, fork ,bars,wheels, pegs ...I should have that rebuilt soon. I have a hyper frame I'd like to rebuild ,just need a donor bike or donation parts ...I may just throw it out

#4310 2021-02-20 6:46pm

mac76
Pro Memberdave's not here man

Rideflat666 wrote:

mac76 wrote:

Rideflat666 wrote:

Got to ride all day.

most weight is on foot?

same difficulty right?

There is many variables to this ..height, setup etc....I learned these in 1988 and the best advice I will give is 1)  slam your seat ...this way you can push into it from a standing position...2) learn to leap frog over the bars..because you will fall and fall alot... 3) use parking spaces to gauge your distance and progression...4) your indoor idea ..just throw that thought in the trash 5) don't use your front break unless you like playing human catapult...6) my arms are bent and locked mostly because it's an 18.5 tt on 19tt they are a little straight and locked. 7) helps to have an understanding of rolling tricks...steam roller ,fork wheelie, side glide ,elbow glide , karl cruiser, peg wheelie ,manual...center of balance is pretty much all the same...just your position is different

cool thanks, im watching some videos
i can do backwards stuff on front wheel
this is just something i never tried
need to get outside and learn to bail otb

edit: ok i dont know all the names but i can do
all those except not tried karl cruiser and steam roller
gonna try those too

never had magazines or videos but been freestylin with pegs since 1980
just learning the names of this stuff now
watched khe flatland school few times, need to watch it few hundred more
people ask what that trick i just did was and i say idk lol

need to find more friends who ride flat

Last edited by mac76 (2021-02-20 6:56pm)

#4311 2021-02-21 4:48pm

NoJuice01

Rideflat666 wrote:

NoJuice01 wrote:

Rideflat666 wrote:

Got to ride all day.

My back would like like a new bike, my wallet doesn't feel the same...I have the red bike, white dk, I still have chrome frame, fork ,bars,wheels, pegs ...I should have that rebuilt soon. I have a hyper frame I'd like to rebuild ,just need a donor bike or donation parts ...I may just throw it out

What is the red one? and the chrome one ?

#4312 2021-02-21 5:03pm

Rideflat666
Pro Member

Hoffman SD4

#4313 2021-02-21 5:49pm

madsterz
Pro Member
Bikes: 13

I turned 60 in November and came full circle back to bikes after 35 years. Started with MTB and once I could wheelie on that 29er I went back and built an old Schwinn stingray. I can still wheelie that just not quite as far as I used to. Haro x3 is my everyday bike. and will try to get some BMX race video next time I go. We did Chandler Bike Park (chit I never did before) and an urban ride today (mostly 20 inch BMX) mid and new school. Living the dream... behind bars!

When a perfect stranger sits down next to you, stare straight ahead and say... You brought the money, right?

#4314 2021-02-22 6:56am

pwh4130
Pro Member
Bikes: 8
Website

Here's a discussion with a bunch of old heads I was recently asked to join.  It's not easy riding at our age but it's still fun and possible. 

https://rideon-bmx.com/panel-zero-1-give-me-strength/

ride your bike until it breaks.

#4315 2021-02-22 7:46am

madsterz
Pro Member
Bikes: 13

pwh4130 wrote:

Here's a discussion with a bunch of old heads I was recently asked to join.  It's not easy riding at our age but it's still fun and possible. 

Thanks - Yeah I guess I fit that category!

I like your signature, but maybe at this age it becomes "ride your bike until you break" big_smile

When a perfect stranger sits down next to you, stare straight ahead and say... You brought the money, right?

#4316 2021-02-22 11:16am

rxinhed
Pro Member
Bikes: 4

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/272528/20210222_101340603402828d.jpg

Working on a geared Cruiser, klunker style, with intention of forest trails around Southern Oregon lakes.

#4317 2021-02-22 4:49pm

razorlab
Pro Member

Rideflat666 wrote:

mac76 wrote:

Rideflat666 wrote:

Got to ride all day.

most weight is on foot?

same difficulty right?

Having just relearned hang-fives after a 20 year break I can attest to all the great tips here.

Learn to bail correctly for sure. I completely forgot how to do this and I had a couple of good slams, one which bruised my ribs pretty bad and I was out for awhile. Could have been avoidable if I remembered how to go over the bars correctly.

Absolutely do not use your brakes. EVER. Once you get a couple hang-fives you will see why you don't need to and how horrific things will get if you do.

One thing I will say, and I think this is probably different for everyone. I tried the lower seat method and it just made me go OTB more. I raised it until it felt more natural to me.

Here are some videos of me relearning. Maybe they will help...

#4318 2021-02-22 5:12pm

quick2
Pro MemberPaul thinks he's Schwinning but I already Schwonn
Bikes: 25
For Sale: 25

pwh4130 wrote:

VERY cool read!!  thanks for sharing that!

Remember....if everyone came to a bike show without a bike, it would just be a bunch of dudes standing around in a park...and that's just creepy!  If you've got one, bring one.  -Me
If you only do what you can do, you will never be more than you are now..  -Master Shifu
*Looking for 2016 Lineage Haro Sport [img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/39961/lineagesportsmall5fc00b1478.jpg[/img]

#4319 2021-02-22 6:02pm

matt thomas
Pro Memberno more hoarding
Bikes: 1

pwh4130 wrote:

Very good!

White Revenge Industries Da'Kine grips. Found! BIG THANKS to npatrick!
Wanted- Injury free 2021
All of my stuff is for sale, except for my white inTRIKat!!!

#4320 2021-02-22 6:31pm

johnu773
Pro MemberFlatland Dominator
Bikes: 7

razorlab wrote:

Rideflat666 wrote:

mac76 wrote:

most weight is on foot?

same difficulty right?

Having just relearned hang-fives after a 20 year break I can attest to all the great tips here.

Learn to bail correctly for sure. I completely forgot how to do this and I had a couple of good slams, one which bruised my ribs pretty bad and I was out for awhile. Could have been avoidable if I remembered how to go over the bars correctly.

Absolutely do not use your brakes. EVER. Once you get a couple hang-fives you will see why you don't need to and how horrific things will get if you do.

One thing I will say, and I think this is probably different for everyone. I tried the lower seat method and it just made me go OTB more. I raised it until it felt more natural to me.

Here are some videos of me relearning. Maybe they will help...

Thanks to both of you for the tips! Way back when I had forward slide glides, elbow glides & steams on lock. Even had high speed feathering brake nose wheelies on ramps in the 90's, but never got hang 5's.  More recently I relearned frwd slide glides & steams but I could never get hang 5's (nor have I ever been consistant with squeakers either) I'm not sure if my block is coming from failure (fear) to lock into the seat (squeakers or hang5) or fear of going OTB now (horrible knees & wrists) but these tips do help if I ever get the balls to start playing with Hang5's again. Letsgo flat learned how to coast backwards squeakers (backwards hang5) and then unlocked them forwards. I have been playing with that technique more but my squeakers are still sketchy at best.

Last edited by johnu773 (2021-02-22 6:32pm)

Due to Illinois corruption, mismanagement & greed, I can no longer accept Paypal.  Chase quickpay (through Zelle), money order, or local pickup only

#4321 2021-02-25 8:47pm

DMoney2020
Pro Member

Lots of very cool flatland and freestyle stuff in this thread.  Me?  Still trying to learn the basic manual.  We weren't doing those BITD. 

Hope u guys don't mind but I thought I'd share a vid of my race last night. I am 51+novice and was up against a couple of clipped inter guys. 

51N+ class

#4322 2021-02-25 9:15pm

jerky
Pro Member

DMoney2020 wrote:

Lots of very cool flatland and freestyle stuff in this thread.  Me?  Still trying to learn the basic manual.  We weren't doing those BITD. 

Hope u guys don't mind but I thought I'd share a vid of my race last night. I am 51+novice and was up against a couple of clipped inter guys.

I've never been on a race track so it's cool to see the trip around the track from a first person point of view.

Last edited by jerky (2021-02-25 9:16pm)

#4323 2021-02-27 6:14am

matt thomas

Wanted- Injury free 2021

#4324 2021-02-28 1:34pm

Rideflat666
Pro Member

https://vimeo.com/517882584

Spring is coming. Got a great session in today..

#4325 2021-03-03 7:04pm

matt thomas

Wanted- Injury free 2021

Board footer