You are not logged in.

How To Save Your Bolts & Nuts... Make them look "Minty" Again!!!

#1 2008-05-16 8:31pm

Rividude
BMXer 4 Life
Signed up: 2008-01-01
Bikes: 2

How To Save Your Bolts & Nuts... Make them look "Minty" Again!!!

My attempt at a "sticky" for those of you do it yourselfers... Here is a good way to save your bolts and nuts. Bench grinders like the one below can be purchased very resonably from alot of stores. To get a cheap one that works... I recomend going to "Big Lots" or Walmart... But you can get a really good one from Home Depot or Lowes. The wire wheels along with with the bufing wheels and polishing compounds are cheapest at Lowes I have found. All together I spent less than 50 bucks getting these items. I removed the grinding wheels that came with the bench grinder and the saftey guards too. BE CAREFULL if you do this and wear gloves and goggles if you are a newbie at this. Nuts can be cleaned the same way just grip them in a pair of pliers while holding them against the wire wheel...

Ok here we go...

First use a wire wheel on a bench grinder to remove those years of dirt, rust, and grime. Be sure to clean the threads too!!!
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii50/Rividude/GEDC0295.jpg

Notice the rust still on the inside of this hex bolt...
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii50/Rividude/GEDC0296.jpg

Mount the bolt inside of a cordless drill just tight enough to hold it... But not so tight that it pinches the threads...
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii50/Rividude/GEDC0298.jpg

With the grinder OFF!!! push the bolt against the wires of the grinding wheel. Rock the wheel back and forth a little so all areas of the inside of the bolt head get cleaned. This takes 10-15 seconds topps...
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii50/Rividude/GEDC0299.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii50/Rividude/GEDC0300.jpg

See it works like a charm... You can even see that the inside of this bolt had a letter "P" hiding under 20 years of rust and dirt... I was even suprized to see it appear...
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii50/Rividude/GEDC0301.jpg

Finally... Just throw it up against the buffing wheel for a few swconds to bring back that Chrome like shine...
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii50/Rividude/GEDC0302.jpg

Here is a before and after on a hallow stem bolt from a Vintage GT SR stem cleaned on the wire wheel... Looks like new!!!
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii50/Rividude/GEDC0289.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii50/Rividude/GEDC0316.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii50/Rividude/GEDC0318.jpg

There is nothing to it... I suggest setting aside some time and cleaning all your bolts at once... I cleaned a whole pile of them from an entire bike in about 30 minutes... From brake bolts to stem bolts... Take every item on the bike completley apart. From brake calipers, brake levers, stem, to even the pedals, do this and your items will shine like new again... Good luck to you... If you love your bikes this is a step that is worth the time and patience to keep your original parts all original...

Last edited by Rividude (2008-05-16 8:34pm)

"If I died with a body that was not completely wrecked... I would feel like I completely Wasted it"
Matt "The Condor" Hoffman

#2 2008-05-16 8:49pm

Rividude
BMXer 4 Life

Re: How To Save Your Bolts & Nuts... Make them look "Minty" Again!!!

Could use some feedback guys... Think this would make a good "Sticky" ?

"If I died with a body that was not completely wrecked... I would feel like I completely Wasted it"

#3 2008-05-16 10:04pm

Rividude
BMXer 4 Life

TTT

#4 2008-05-16 10:10pm

xtremevert
The Gate Keeper
Signed up: 2007-09-23
Bikes: 19

Yeah, I think so.  I've always just bought new ones but now that I see your trick to cleaning the inside of the head I'm going to try that instead.  Good tip.  smile

My Father once spoke to me and said "The way you look at your bike is the way I see My children, I look past the imperfections and rough surfaces to the beauty of the finished product."

#5 2008-05-16 10:11pm

BMX JUNKIE
Expert
Signed up: 2008-02-25
Bikes: 5
Website

Have i mentioned i love this kind of do it yourself post ...nice job RIVIDUDE.

I HURT MY SELF TODAY, TO SEE IF I STILL FEEL...ACTUALY I FORGOT TO TENSION THE CHAIN......

You know damn well that neither of us knows what the hell you are talking about.

#6 2008-05-16 11:12pm

mongoosefreek
Primo Freek
Signed up: 2008-02-23
Bikes: 8

thats almost what i do. i use a wire brush on a bench grinder but i havent used a polishing wheel on mine. i just wipe them with nevrdull most of the time. never thought about the polishing wheel. thats a great idea

Love anything PR1MO.
I mostly like mid/new school bikes/parts.

#7 2008-05-16 11:20pm

Mongoosebrothers
Centurion Member
Signed up: 2008-03-24

I was going to ask this same question, but now there is no need.  A lot of mongoose gold stems have grimy, rusty bolts.  This seems like the perfect fix.

-James.

"The only normal people are the ones you don't know well enough yet."   -Rodney Dangerfield

#8 2008-05-16 11:43pm

Rividude
BMXer 4 Life

[/b]Cool... Glad this helped some people... I was begining to think this was a flop for a second... Hopfully this will inspire some people to save some $$$ and do it themselves...[/b]

I am working on another do it youself for polishing... All my aluminum stuff looks like chrome now...
here is a taste of before and after. If you can make it out in the picture...

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii50/Rividude/GEDC0293.jpg

#9 2008-05-17 8:38am

polanco
Pro Member
Signed up: 2007-02-08

wow,rividude,you rock!the allen bolt demo is a classic!

#10 2008-05-17 11:44am

lambohaha
The Kid Countach
Signed up: 2006-02-05

Extremely Great Idea!! I do ALMOST the same thing. I use a dremel with the brass bristle brush (say that fast more than once) and the polishing compound and buffing wheel that comes in their  polishing/cleaning kit. Would make a great Sticky big_smile smile

#11 2008-05-17 11:47am

mcseforsale
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2006-07-13
Bikes: 7

inside of cap-screws: dremel with plastic brush and noxon chrome cleaner.

Good post.

Also, to bring back the black bolts, go to the gun store or wal mart and get a gun "bluing" kit. 

AJ

I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

Energy and persistence conquer all things.

Enough radiation was released to create seventeen Hulks and a Spiderman.

#12 2008-05-17 1:43pm

lambohaha
The Kid Countach
Signed up: 2006-02-05

mcseforsale wrote:

inside of cap-screws: dremel with plastic brush and noxon chrome cleaner.

Good post.

Also, to bring back the black bolts, go to the gun store or wal mart and get a gun "bluing" kit. 

AJ

+1

#13 2008-05-18 6:51am

skywayray-banned
Banned
Signed up: 2008-02-07
Bikes: 3

Good thinking there Rividude, i've always tried polishing by hand and gave up in less than a minute.

#14 2008-05-18 7:00am

jayoldmanbmx
"King of Scores"
Signed up: 2007-03-07
Website

nice job   hell of a lot cheaper than buying the bolts for as many bikes we build take the time to add it up it will shock ya to say the least ....  i smell a sticky

KSTF = King Size Tripple Fat      remember change happens    & yes i keep some stuff    I SELL OLD BMX lol    FACEBOOK ME   JASON SOUZA ( i am the guy jumping a bmx bike  go figure)  VERY IMPORTANT!!    I DONT HAVE PAYPAL  I ONLY TAKE US POSTAL M.O. OR GOOD OLD CASH     LOOK FOR UPCOMING WEBSITE BLOG SOON

#15 2008-05-18 7:08am

caleb_k31
This member is now deceased.
Signed up: 2006-04-07
Bikes: 15

exellent thread, nice work. i will do this instead of buying new. i never could get the heads cleaned out thats y i just bought new... thanks for the tips

WILL NOT DEAL WITH LIST 619-bmx, Boyd, NickWG19, quadsticher, Djrothus, cgeorge715, bob70, sharkbite, Luke Sears ebay name bmxbrigade.

GT fork stander spring install - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=426565
PFT restoration thread - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=399950&p=1
epoch headset, freestyle vs. race - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 7#p4233077

All the hub/hoop measuring info you will need along with spoke calculation info http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 9#p5435389

#16 2008-05-18 7:24am

skywayray-banned
Banned
Signed up: 2008-02-07
Bikes: 3

Indeed, but how much would a bench grinder like that costs? I can use that for many things, polishing boots, blunt sharp edges for keys and stuff,etc etc. Definitely should sticky this.

#17 2008-05-18 7:46am

Gtcompe
Banned
Signed up: 2007-07-16
Bikes: 9
Website

you did a GREAT job at that, nice

#18 2008-05-18 8:10am

skinnygmg
Pro MemberVet Pro
Signed up: 2006-08-03
Bikes: 10
Website

stuck.  i love the hex bolt tip.  thanks for pointing this thread out lambo.

#19 2008-05-18 7:03pm

Rividude
BMXer 4 Life

skywayray wrote:

Good thinking there Rividude, i've always tried polishing by hand and gave up in less than a minute.

Well I don't know what it will cost you on the other side of the world but the are a cheap item here in the discount stores... I picked up this yellow one for 24 dollars + tax at "Big Lots"

And thanks for the compliments guys... Nice to see this will save the members some bucks...

Last edited by Rividude (2008-05-18 7:03pm)

#20 2008-05-18 7:42pm

mcseforsale
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2006-07-13

+1.  Mine came from big lots in Connecticut about 6 years ago.  The base had 2 cracks in it, so they gave it to me for $10.  Fixed it up with some JB weld and it's still kicking.  Mines, better, though...it's a crappy RED one.  LOL.

AJ

Rividude wrote:

skywayray wrote:

Well I don't know what it will cost you on the other side of the world but the are a cheap item here in the discount stores... I picked up this yellow one for 24 dollars + tax at "Big Lots"

And thanks for the compliments guys... Nice to see this will save the members some bucks...

I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

Energy and persistence conquer all things.

Enough radiation was released to create seventeen Hulks and a Spiderman.

#21 2008-05-19 1:22pm

Rividude
BMXer 4 Life

mcseforsale wrote:

+1.  Mine came from big lots in Connecticut about 6 years ago.  The base had 2 cracks in it, so they gave it to me for $10.  Fixed it up with some JB weld and it's still kicking.  Mines, better, though...it's a crappy RED one.  LOL.

AJ

Rividude wrote:

skywayray wrote:

Yeah yeah... So now we are the MCDonlad colors twins...LOL Sweet deal you got there... I have another one i inherited from my dad... It works soooooo much better... This Big Loys one works... but does not have enough oomph... It slows down too much when you start applying alot of pressure to it... It is really meat to have the grinding wheels on it. But for the price I cant complain... A 5 minue job takes 7-10 minutes on it is all... Kinda like the difference between dial up and DSL...LOL When I sick enuff of Dila up I will upgrade to cable and skip DSL all together...LOL

But really my intention is to show newbies and some do it yourselfers a cheap way to get Grrrrrrrrreat results...

#22 2008-05-19 2:04pm

TrulyOdd
Pro Member
Signed up: 2007-09-19
Bikes: 14
For Sale: 4
Website

cool post!   good resto info!

Always looking for anything from... 
Star Products, White Bear, Hustler, Panda, Rebel Racing, Blazer or BXC.

I sell/buy/trade VINYL RECORDS & CASSETTES.   
Hip Hop, Rock, Jazz, Soul, Reggae, Funk, etc. (LP's, 45’s, & 12") -  Let me know

#23 2008-05-20 7:25am

91GT347
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2008-02-28

Thats how I do mine too. It does work great. BTW you can also usually get used cheap bench grinders at pawn shops,flea markets, ect.  I got a older (80's) model Milwaukee with dual wheels for 15 bucks at a consignment shop. In excellent condition.

#24 2008-05-20 7:28am

1pccrank
Pro MemberShorty McFly!
Signed up: 2008-03-28
For Sale: 1

Thanks Rividude--pretty clever!

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.

#25 2008-05-20 8:39am

Benny1
Expert
Signed up: 2007-12-18
Bikes: 16

I tried this last night, with a wrinkle:  I put the bolts in my drill press & held a brass wire brush up to them.  Worked great!  With the stability of the drill press, I was even able to clean off a stem's wedge bolt...

Thanks for the tip!

What the hell's an Aluminum Falcon?

Board footer